• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to Arrive at Auberge Orisson?

Neitz

Westmarch
Time of past OR future Camino
CF from SJPdP June 2023
You can call me anything but just don't call me late for supper!

I will be arriving in SJPdP after noon on 28 May and have a reservation for Auberge Orisson that night. I would certainly want to arrive by dinnertime, so I wonder how long I can tarry in St Jean before starting up the hill? In other words, by what time should one aim to arrive at Orisson?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you arrive early, they have a lovely deck to sit out on plus food and wine available. St Jean is nice, but it certainly isn’t a place to wile away the hours for no reason. Arrive there, check in with the pilgrim office, get a stamp, visit the church, grab lunch, and then head up the hill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is only 5 miles to Orisson, but this will be the longest 5 miles you will ever walk. Give yourself time to pause at Honto, drink a bunch of water, and say "Crap! Is it all like this?!" It is a steep hill. All of it. Expect to a little on the sweaty side when you get to Orisson.

THANK YOU! That's the solid info I was seeking.
I should have mentioned that I got the 6:30 time from the emails that I received when I reserved at Orisson in 2016, 2017, and 2019 - but I doubt that they have changed their procedure.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes the terrace is nice at refuge Orisson but that is the only nice thing about it. If you haven’t booked unlikely to get in and the food is terrible as is the 5 mins shower they allow you

Arrive early and grab a lower bunk, for sure! I walked there once with a good friend from Biarritz. I told him it was not like his daily walk along the beach every morning. He tarried and delayed our departure from Biarritz until afternoon, we started walking around 2pm. He had to quit at the cut-off up the hill from the road, mumbling something like this is more than 10k, not even remotely is it 5k. He thumbed a ride back to get his car that was parked in SJPdP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is only 5 miles to Orisson, but this will be the longest 5 miles you will ever walk. Give yourself time to pause at Honto, drink a bunch of water, and say "Crap! Is it all like this?!" It is a steep hill. All of it. Expect to a little on the sweaty side when you get to Orisson.
No kidding. That’s an excellent description.

For reference, considering that the walk out of SJPdP, up to Orisson, is so relatively steep and seemingly unrelenting, consider two things:

1. It is only 8 Km - about 2.5 - 3 hours.
2. Coming, right out of the “starting blocks,” so to speak, most folks consider this the steepest, worst, most mentally challenging climb of their entire Camino. But this perception is relative.

There are other, longer climbs on this Camino. There are steeper climbs. But, by the time you arrive at these challenges, your body is acclimated.

At this point, many long distance pilgrims reflect back on that first day with a chuckle. Like “what WAS” all the fuss about?

Hope this helps.

Tom

I will be arriving in SJPdP after noon on 28 May and have a reservation for Auberge Orisson that night. I would certainly want to arrive by dinnertime, so I wonder how long I can tarry in St Jean before starting up the hill? In other words, by what time should one aim to arrive at Orisson?
I decided to leave last minute and ‘ran’ up the hill in a couple of hours in order to make it by dinner. But I wouldn’t recommend that. Some parts are quite steep.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also, unless you arrive early and check in you COULD be sent back DOWN the trail to their overflow (unless things have changed).
Personally, I'd prefer to arrive early and sit out on the deck, watching pilgrims trudging by while I enjoy a cold drink AND get a bunk AND not have to trudge back down that hellish hill!

Also, unless you arrive early and check in you COULD be sent back DOWN the trail to their overflow (unless things have changed).
Personally, I'd prefer to arrive early and sit out on the deck, watching pilgrims trudging by while I enjoy a cold drink AND get a bunk AND not have to trudge back down that hellish hill!
Conversely, as I was leaving Orisson at 8.30 a few years ago, three pilgrims who had bookings for the night were just arriving, to the obvious annoyance of the staff there. I mean, what is there to do for 10 hours until dinner even if one loves the view and sitting area (plus it takes away seating space for pilgrims stopping around 10 before heading on to Roncesvalles). So, setting off at 6.30 for Orisson is ridiculous. I like to leave the church in St Jean at about 9-10, enjoy a last break at the cafe/bakery on the right a bit past the bridge and take it VERY slowly up the hill, arriving at about 2/2.30. I've always been given a bed in the main albergue.

I stopped at Orisson in September 2014. It didn't take me long to get there from SJPdP - about three hours, as I recall. I left sometime between 10am and 10.30am and I got to Orisson sometime between 1pm and 2pm. They didn't allow access to the accommodation section (I had booked a place in advance) until later in the afternoon so I just sat out on the deck they had overlooking the Pyrenees and had a few drinks and chatted to other people, which was a very enjoyable way to spend the first afternoon on the Camino.

I've had great dinners at Orisson!
We’re stayed at Orisson twice and both dinners were great. The terrace is wonderful. I’d get there on the early side so you can enjoy a beer and watch the birds soaring over the Pyrenees.

You can shower for as long as you like. Only the hot water is limited to 5 minutes, which is perfectly adequate and good practice for not inconveniencing others in hostels on the Camino by using up all the hot water.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.