• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

when to book your flight out of Santiago at journeys end?

cloud86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago: August - September 2013

Camino de Santiago: August - September 2019
Hi everyone and fellow pilgrims!

Im Craig from England, Ill be hiking the camino de santiago this August, I fly to paris on Friday 16th and get the Lunea night train to Bayonne on the 17th (saturday night) and plan on spending the 18th sunday in St Jean before starting on Monday 19th. This is as far as Ive booked for.

I have 7weeks off in total. I have a rough plan of hiking the Camino in 30-32 days including doing Finesterre and muxia also if time allows it. See I'm planning on doing a bit of Europe after it for 2weeks, looking to fly out of Santiago to Barcelona. When booking your ride home at the end of the trip. Do you do it before, or when you are midway through? I was thinking of doing midway, so Id have a better idea by then.

Im not one for planning ahead too far and like others I guess just want to enjoy the experience without having to worry about time of finishing it. Any advise or ideas would be great thanks!

thanks and beun camino dudes!

from c

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife kept an eye on Ryanair's fares from when I left Leon, and from memory booked once I had got to Ponferrada, when it was fairly clear when I would be in Santiago. I then found an internet cafe with print facilities in Sarria to print the tickets/boarding pass, as well as having a backup set sent to me post restante to Santiago.

I could probably have done it myself if I had needed to, but in 2010 internet access wasn't quite what it appears to be today.

Regards,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Craig,
We booked ours at the last minute, when we were in Finisterre. Very expensive, and ended up cheaper to fly to England via Madrid, rather than the direct flight with Ryannair. Next time,ill book a bit earlier ! It's a tricky one to get right. But if you're going to Barcelona maybe you could get the train?
Buen camino
Helen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had no problem getting a flight out of Santiago in June of this year after booking just two days before on Kayak. Did I say Kaya?. Either them or Lonely Planet. I do everything flightwise with them and have never been disappointed price wise and getting a flight out.

cloud86 said:
. When booking your ride home at the end of the trip. Do you do it before, or when you are midway through? I was thinking of doing midway, so Id have a better idea by then.

I get the impression you're worried about the exact date. Those flights aren't daily are they?

Often the last minute flights are so expensive it can be cheaper to book two flights earlier on different dates. If that makes sense.

Cloud86:

I bought my ticket about a week out of Santiago. At that time, I was a little more confident in my departure date. I would purchase my ticket as soon as I knew my departure date.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cloud86,
I can offer my experience with this issue: I did not pre-book a flight from Santiago. I ended up taking the train from Santiago to Barcelona...roughly a 12hr trip. This was cheaper than any last minute flight I could find (using Skyscanner) and for me was a great way to decompress and prepare for the change of environment that Barcelona would offer! A few caveats...I have no idea what sort of shape the train station is in at Santiago de Compostela, also a 12hr train ride might not be to your liking (although it was neat to see parts of the camino that you walked days and weeks earlier). I booked this train ticket 4 days in advance and it cost 45.00 (June 2013). Hope this helps!
Buen Camino,
Kurtis

I would suggest 32 days is normal for Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago. I'd tack on an extra 4 or 5 days to get to Finisterre and another to get to Muxia.

Why not take a few days in the interesting centers along the way? That way you book your ticket now for Santiago at the end of your holiday.

I found that by the time I got to Santiago I was quite done with seeing the grotty cathedrals and other museums. There is such a thing as becoming emotionally exhausted by it all. What I'm saying I guess is don't try to 'do' it all in 7 weeks. Take time to experience it. You can go 'do' Barcelona on another vacation.

Another option is use the extra days to walk camino Ingles and take the ferry home.

I normally book my flight from Santiago before leaving Australia trying to work out how long I'll take but twice I have had to change the flight due to getting in too early and still spending 4/5 days in Santiago.
It only costs me 40 Euros to change Ryanair and 15 Euros fee to Viloria Travel Agent. Probably would have cost much more to book last minute.
This may help.
Heather

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola

7 weeks. Perfect.
Because in other words, you don't have to worry about your home ticket at all.
Of course no one wants to throw away money on expensive tickets, but in my experience it is impossible to predict whether it is cheaper to buy now, a bit later or just before returning.
Once you arrive in Santiago, there will be plenty of options with bus, train, rent a car, air, walk some more... I can't imagine the extra cost, if any, will be more positive than starting your Camino and once you know it is over, then find your transportation to wherever you want or have to be.
Also, many pilgrims don't make it to Santiago because they are injured, tired, bored, emergencies at home, etc.
My advice is to start your Camino and take it a day at the time. If possible.
Try not to plan to much ahead.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back