• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to go, when not to go...

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy (2010; 2016), Norte, Primitivo, Muxia/Fisterra (2010), Mozarabe, Via de la Plata, Sanabres (2011), Arles, Aragones, Frances (2015)
... that's often the question! :)

Here's the number per month of all the pilgrims who went to the pilgrims's office in SJPdP in 2015.
(stats form the pilgrim's office)
full

It means the pilgrims who started there as well as the ones who arrived there. The real numbers may be a little higher, because not everyone stops by the pilgrim's office...
In any case, as one can see, May and September were quite busy...
The number given by SJPdP's pilgrim's office is 54 646 for the whole year. By comparison, the pilgrim's office in Santiago counted 31058 pilgrims who registered there and started in SJPdP.

The stats for 2016 are not out yet (patience, patience...), but the whole chart will show a rise: it's been a record year!
Other slight change (observation from local volunteers, hospitalieros and workers), the high season is expending. For instance, October seems to become quite a big month for starting pilgrims...

So, when will you start in 2017 (or later!)? ;)
Buen Camino!

full

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like we will be having the hills to ourselves again in March - and that I will have a quiet one in October too! September seems to have become the new August and it could be time to start considering July ... but am I the only one who thinks the stats are looking more and more like the cathedral??

September seems to have become the new August and it could be time to start considering July ...
Certainly matches my experience in mid-September this year. 15 of us were removed from an overcrowded train at Bayonne station and sent by taxi to St Jean at SNCF's expense. The following morning at the pilgrim office I was told that every albergue bed in St Jean had been taken that night and late arrivals had to find private rooms. The idea of "low season" does need to be reconsidered these days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Y
Not quite sure whether you meant 'wallet' or 'valet'. For a really comfortable upmarket Camino I'd take both :)
It's wallet. Sorry - fingers too fast and brain on holidays ;)

September seems to have become the new August
Certainly matches my experience in mid-September this year.
Early March last year I was chatting with the person in the SJPP Pilgrims Office after he had stamped my credencial, and he said that October and May were 'usually' the busiest months for them (whatever usually means--I didn't ask), so this may not be such a new phenomenon.
Bottom line is that the Frances will always be busier than other caminos--so if you want space as opposed to company at these times of year, the word to the wise is to find another way. Fortunately there is no shortage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked late August through September this year and plan to walk late June through July next year. I had though that July would be busier than September, so it's nice to know that the opposite is true.

"Unfortunately" I can only start in May, probably arriving 2 May 2017 in SJPDP en leaving there 3 May to Orisson. :)
It's beautiful time to go, flowers, rushing rivers,sigh....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I were to complain about any aspect of a simply perfect Camino it would be about just a few more pilgrims than I would have preferred. I left SJPdP on Sept 17 of this year and arrived in Santiago on October 20. A friend of mine met me there and we returned to Molinaseca for a night. In the space of two weeks the pilgrim population there had changed completely. There was no one there! Made me wish I had started a week or two later.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tickets bought to arrive Paris May 10th and train straight to Bayonne. On to SJPP May 11th and begin our Camino on the 12th. It will be what it will be!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.