• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to go

Orla Joyce

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago in 17, now hope to walk the rest of the caminos over the next few years
Having started my Camino from Pamplona, I'm planning on going back to St Jean Pied to start from the start. Is there a better time of year to do this?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can base your decision on weather, crowds, availability of lodging, and many more options, so it’s hard to give you a precise time. GENERALLY, going in late April could mean no snow, fewer folks, and open albuerges... then again, it may snow and it may be packed if you go during Holy Week. Really, pick the best time for you and accept the situation it presents.

Just consider that the Napoleon Pass is OFFICIALLY closed to hikers until at least 1 April each year. Snow is regular and deep. It is hazardous.

After 1 April, local authorities assess the weather and conditions at the Napoleon Pass daily. So, it can be hit and miss. Check the weather and remain flexible. The Pilgrim Office in Saint Jean Pied de Port has the latest forecast and conditions at the pass.

For reference, in 2020, Easter is on Sunday 5 April. As a general statement, each year on the Camino Frances there is a "pig in the python" scenario, where a large number of pilgrims start a Camino as they have extra time off from work. In most of western Europe, people have off on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (day after). So that is five days off work starting off. Many folks toss in a few 'bridge' or personal days to make up to a two-week period for doing Camino.

My advice to avoid this added surge and the burden it places on all Camino resources, is to avoid walking during the Christian Holy Week, immediately before Easter, and the immediate week following. In 2020, that means starting your Camino on or after 12 April.

As regards walking through the Napoleon Pass, that should mean that the pass is officially open, but subject to local advisories and control.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having started my Camino from Pamplona, I'm planning on going back to St Jean Pied to start from the start. Is there a better time of year to do this?
My favourite times are late march-April or late sept-oct. In fall some of the path is especially enticing, covered in red and yellow leaves.

@Orla Joyce , kia ora (greetings, good health)

I walked from SaintJean on 1 May and had low cloud from Orisson so saw none of the grandeur.

If your are set on the vistas you night consider taking up residence at Saint-Jean for a few days until you are reasonably assured of clear skies.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I’m showing Easter 2020 on April 12th, NOT April 5th as posted by t2andreo. So adjust his stated dates a bit, but his overall advice is spot on

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you do not mind hotter and drier weather, time your Camino Frances so that you walk it the entire month of July. Personally I like it then. Less pilgrims it seems, warm albergues. No cold, damp floors or not having your clothes dry on the line. No soggy boots/shoes. You carry less things and can use a very small backpack. Just make sure you hydrate, have a good hat and sunscreen.

Just consider that the Napoleon Pass is OFFICIALLY closed to hikers until at least 1 April each year. Snow is regular and deep. It is hazardous.

After 1 April, local authorities assess the weather and conditions at the Napoleon Pass daily. So, it can be hit and miss. Check the weather and remain flexible. The Pilgrim Office in Saint Jean Pied de Port has the latest forecast and conditions at the pass.

For reference, in 2020, Easter is on Sunday 5 April. As a general statement, each year on the Camino Frances there is a "pig in the python" scenario, where a large number of pilgrims start a Camino as they have extra time off from work. In most of western Europe, people have off on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (day after). So that is five days off work starting off. Many folks toss in a few 'bridge' or personal days to make up to a two-week period for doing Camino.

My advice to avoid this added surge and the burden it places on all Camino resources, is to avoid walking during the Christian Holy Week, immediately before Easter, and the immediate week following. In 2020, that means starting your Camino on or after 12 April.

As regards walking through the Napoleon Pass, that should mean that the pass is officially open, but subject to local advisories and control.

Hope this helps.

Does your advice apply to walking anywhere on the CF at all, or mainly to the beginning and end sections? I am considering starting from StJPdP in early March 2021.

It only applies to the first day, walking from SJPdP over the Pyrenees via the Napoleon Pass. Even if this route is closed, you can use the alternative, Valcarlos Route. Both convey you to the same place, Roncesvalles.

The rest of the CF is open all year. However, many albergues and some cafes are closed until about Easter. A fair number of people enjoy walking during the off-season, from November through the end of March. You should search for those forum threads.

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It only applies to the first day, walking from SJPdP over the Pyrenees via the Napoleon Pass. Even if this route is closed, you can use the alternative, Valcarlos Route. Both convey you to the same place, Roncesvalles.

The rest of the CF is open all year. However, many albergues and some cafes are closed until about Easter. A fair number of people enjoy walking during the off-season, from November through the end of March. You should search for those forum threads.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I meant your comments about avoiding the weeks either side of Easter. Would you say that the whole CF should be avoided, or are only some parts likely to be super-busy?

I think I would prefer to walk the Valcarlos route in any case, so the Route Napoleon being closed doesn't affect me.

I meant your comments about avoiding the weeks either side of Easter. Would you say that the whole CF should be avoided, or are only some parts likely to be super-busy?
Easter can be a fascinating time to be on the Camino. The last 100 km will be very busy, so I'd recommend booking those nights well in advance, or even avoid that Easter week in that part if you don't want to be in "crowds." During the actual Holy Week (the week leading up to Good Friday and Easter Sunday), I would make reservations for any towns that are known for their processions - Burgos, Ponferrada, etc. I would not expect too many problems in the other weeks or even in the more "boring" sections.

Don't avoid the Easter on the Camino - embrace it, but be prepared based on knowledge of the situation!

Easter can be a fascinating time to be on the Camino. The last 100 km will be very busy, so I'd recommend booking those nights well in advance, or even avoid that Easter week in that part if you don't want to be in "crowds." During the actual Holy Week (the week leading up to Good Friday and Easter Sunday), I would make reservations for any towns that are known for their processions - Burgos, Ponferrada, etc. I would not expect too many problems in the other weeks or even in the more "boring" sections.

Don't avoid the Easter on the Camino - embrace it, but be prepared based on knowledge of the situation!

Thank you; that's helpful and encouraging.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry, I meant your comments about avoiding the weeks either side of Easter. Would you say that the whole CF should be avoided, or are only some parts likely to be super-busy?

I think I would prefer to walk the Valcarlos route in any case, so the Route Napoleon being closed doesn't affect me.

C Clearly expresses the situation accurately. During that two-week surge period, you MIGHT find accommodation issues at the major transportation-node starting places.

On the Camino Frances, this includes: Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada and Sarria. These places have good rail and bus connections.

The key to avoiding the “pig in the python’” syndrome is to avoid being in those places on a Friday or Saturday. These are the days that many pilgrims walking Camino segments arrive at these places, they start out the following day.

It’s a lot like surfing. You need to wait for undesirable waves to pass, until you find the wave you want to ride.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you do not mind hotter and drier weather, time your Camino Frances so that you walk it the entire month of July. Personally I like it then. Less pilgrims it seems, warm albergues. No cold, damp floors or not having your clothes dry on the line. No soggy boots/shoes. You carry less things and can use a very small backpack. Just make sure you hydrate, have a good hat and sunscreen.
I don't mind heat at all, much prefer it over being cold or wet...Since any thought of a spring 2020 walk has now been negated for me ( I have my first grandchild arriving May 29th ! ), I'm looking to walk in the summer. My question is this: I've been told numerous times that the months of June, July, August on the CF are filled mostly with college students and families with small children. I've only ever walked in Spain/Portugal in Sept/Oct/Nov and found the pilgrims to be much more mature/retirees, etc. I don't mind walking with young people, but was told it can quickly become a raucous, college party walk, loud and crowded. I've no first hand experience in those months but would certainly welcome the input from those who have actually walked the CF in July/August or alburgue owners. I prefer a quiet, slower pace with time to relax and reflect over partying...lol

Last edited:
There are also lots of teachers in July and August. Definitely noticed a younger demographic than in September. You won't find many families with young children before Sarria.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't mind heat at all, much prefer it over being cold or wet...Since any thought of a spring 2020 walk has now been negated for me ( I have my first grandchild arriving May 29th ! ), I'm looking to walk in the summer. My question is this: I've been told numerous times that the months of June, July, August on the CF are filled mostly with college students and families with small children. I've only ever walked in Spain/Portugal in Sept/Oct/Nov and found the pilgrims to be much more mature/retirees, etc. I don't mind walking with young people, but was told it can quickly become a raucous, college party walk, loud and crowded. I've no first hand experience in those months but would certainly welcome the input from those who have actually walked the CF in July/August or alburgue owners. I prefer a quite, slower pace with time to relax and reflect over partying...lol
I cannot say I observed/experienced any raucous or rowdy behavior amongst the college age pilgrims I met, stayed with in the same albergues etc on the Frances. I also could not say that the pilgrim population mostly consisted of the college age. Mind you, that is just my observations and experience and of all the Camino's I have walked the worst behavior I observed was not from college age pilgrims.
As stated in an earlier post on this thread, there does seem to be a lot of educators walking in July, which to me was very nice because I have relatives who are educators.
I too think a hospitalero who has volunteered on the Frances during that time period could give the best insight.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back