• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to pick an alternate route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
i am scheduled early September SJPdP. Flight reservations thru Bayonne are set ( I couldn't afford a refundable ticket). All this talk of bed races stress etc describes a Camino that wouldn't have attracted me.
I've considered not reading posts till right before I leave because I don't want the prejudice or anxiety.
I will look at alternative routes and am attracted to dropping onto the Invierno off the CF.
I'd like to see what September brings since I have the comfort of my reservations at Orisson and Roncesvalles.
(Is it narcissistic to ask those who are talking about switching their dates to NOT pick September. He He He)
But what routes could I access once I am at Roncesvalles. I do have a firm end date as work is mandatory (5 weeks in country available )
Nanc - thanks for helping all us fretters figure this out

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As far as I can see there are many Camino's that feed INTO the CF after Roncesvalles, but no alternatives FROM the CF until the Camino Invierno at Ponferrada, or the Camino's San Salvador/Primitivo which turns off at Leon. (I do recommend this route). I hope someone with more experience can help you.

Davey

Ok, you have a lot time until September and things just might have quietened down a bit by then. I would just lean back and see how things develop, in the worst case scenario there is always Pamplona where you can take public transport to another camino. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Nanc , plenty of time for the world to change and plenty of time to research alternatives and make plans. Perhaps the Camino Viejo http://www.gronze.com/camino-viejo-santiago. Gronze says 'currently updating' but there is additional resource here www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/viejo-camino-camino-de-la-montaña-camino-olvidado.104/ or a bus up to the Norte as SY suggests.

If current accounts of three to a bunk and pilgrims held in pens at StJdP awaiting immigration clearance ever turn out to be true you could always take an inflatable mattress with you and rent it out to cover your flight costs.

I would not advise anyone who is attracted tomthe social, short walks, history and relative comfort of the Frances to try much else unless they are used to long solo walks and ready to accept not so clean places, few stops during the day, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It does seem unusually high volume this summer. I am not sure when in Sept you are leaving. I started Sept 26th. Never faced any accommodation issues. Except few private alb were closed towards the end of October. I would not worry about alternate routes just for finding beds. If you start having difficulty, start booking 1-2 days ahead. If you don't know enough Spanish, ask someone at the alberque to book a room for you. I know it takes the dynamism away but it is manageable. I always prefer a pre-determined distance to walk each day depending on how i feel that day. 5 weeks is plenty.

Thanks all. I have read other posts along this line and realized that this was all fear driven. A bit of "the sky is falling". It was easy to get sucked in as one of my default modes is to over plan in an attempt to over control and feel safe.
My Camino lessons had already started when I no longer had control of my body or the rehab-ing speed of my ankle issues. But for a moment (ok 2 moments) I forgot the lessons

This conversation has opened my eyes to flexibility and alternatives rather than a set traditional CF ( which I also chose in an effort to have a "predictable " Camino- see control again)
I am breathing deeper, and letting go. I am ready for MY Camino to unfold, as I will NOT be stepping into the river that is the Camino today.

But knowing that all this is a possibility will help me to let go of expectations and not be disappointed, and be prepared for alternatives. So thank you to those on the Camino for sharing your experience, and thank you to those who reminded me that their path is not mine: MY path is yet to told
nanc

As far as I can see there are many Camino's that feed INTO the CF after Roncesvalles, but no alternatives FROM the CF until the Camino Invierno at Ponferrada, or the Camino's San Salvador/Primitivo which turns off at Leon. (I do recommend this route).

You have the Viejo Camino (aka the Pamplona branch of the Camino Olvidado) out of Pamplona. There isn't a lot of info about it though. @caminka walked it years ago. This thread will be useful to get some info about that route: www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/developments-on-the-camino-olvidado-or-viejo-camino.19303 The Pamplona branch (virtually no pilgrims) meets the Bilbao branch (barely any pilgrim) in Aguilar de Campoo. The Camino Olvidado ends in Columbrianos, on the outskirts of Ponferrada, so you could continue to Santiago de Compostela on the Camino de Invierno. The Camino Olvidado passes through La Robla, where you can leave the Olvidado and continue on the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo (from Oviedo you can continue on the Camino Primitivo but that one ends in the Camino Francés for roughly the last 50-55 kms).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i am scheduled early September SJPdP. Flight reservations thru Bayonne are set ( I couldn't afford a refundable ticket). All this talk of bed races stress etc describes a Camino that wouldn't have attracted me.
I've considered not reading posts till right before I leave because I don't want the prejudice or anxiety.
I will look at alternative routes and am attracted to dropping onto the Invierno off the CF.
I'd like to see what September brings since I have the comfort of my reservations at Orisson and Roncesvalles.
(Is it narcissistic to ask those who are talking about switching their dates to NOT pick September. He He He)
But what routes could I access once I am at Roncesvalles. I do have a firm end date as work is mandatory (5 weeks in country available )
Nanc - thanks for helping all us fretters figure this out
is there an alternate route leaving Castrojeriz to avoid the steep mountain?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
is there an alternate route leaving Castrojeriz to avoid the steep mountain?
Steep Mountain? It is a total climb of approximately 120 metres / 400ft over a distance of 4km / 2.5 miles.

If you take a rubbish sack with you and pick some litter you'll scarcely notice the climb but do pause from time to time to enjoy the views.

You could follow the road to Castrillo Mota de Judíos and rejoin the route at Ermita de San Nicolas, or follow @VNwalking 's suggestion above but really, it really is just a hill. A steepish vehicle track, easy to follow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Steep Mountain? It is a total climb of approximately 120 metres / 400ft over a distance of 4km / 2.5 miles.

If you take a rubbish sack with you and pick some litter you'll scarcely notice the climb but do pause from time to time to enjoy the views.

You could follow the road to Castrillo Mota de Judíos and rejoin the route at Ermita de San Nicolas, or follow @VNwalking 's suggestion above but really, it really is just a hill. A steepish vehicle track, easy to follow.
I learned something on that climb. Two breaths in, two breaths out, You get there in the end.
Sorry, I was not as civic minded as yourself... I just noted the time it took me and I was ridiculously pleased.
Hills are not my pals.

Wonderful view at the top , that's what makes the climb easy for me

for the OP , dont stress about bed races or such stuff. While it may be busy for a stretch I have walked 3 times in September and while St Jean to Pamplona and from Saria to Santiago may have more pilgrims than the other stretches I wouldn't do anything other than perhaps book the first 2 nights

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used Wikiloc to get an approximation of 1 mile of steepish uphill climb of about 500 feet. Tinc's values give a slope of 3%, mine a 7.5% slope. At any rate there is an approximately equivalent distance on either route to Roncesvalles of 15% so you may have already done something 5 to 2 times steeper when not as fit.

Last edited:
Early September is a big wave coming out of sjpdp. In my first walk in 2017 quite a few towns in the early stages (including sjpdp) got totally booked out. I now walk a little earlier than that peak which has worked out good so far till saria. But the Camino provides.
I think sjpdp opened up a gym with mattresses for people arriving without bookings that year. Roncesvalles and other towns, people got taxis to accomodation. I've been in albergues where they have put mattresses on the floor for overflow. I've not met anyone who has had to sleep rough. You might have to pay more than you expected but you will be fine.
On that 2017 Camino I found staying in the non traditional stage points made a big difference.
I would suggest going with the CF regular route for now. You have the first 2 important nights booked so play it by ear from then. I think people don't often realize that you start to build a 'Camino family' pretty quickly and walking with those friends becomes more important than other considerations. Once again I'll suggest don't worry and enjoy the adventure

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back