• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

When to purchase airline tickets?

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Hi. I'll be walking in early-October, flying from San Francisco to Madrid. That's about 6 months from now. How far in advance do people usually purchase their airline tickets? Wondering in terms of cost - seems fuel is just going to keep skyrocketing, so maybe purchasing now-ish is preferable? (Or who knows anyway: given the, uh, "state of the world" right now, is there the possibility that if one purchases now, by the time it gets to then there will be a surcharge for escalated fuel prices? Just curious about that.)

Thanks,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Given the current state of the world affairs,I don’t think anyone knows. But my advice is to use skyscanner.com and kayak.com. Keep watching until you find a fare that is flexible and acceptable and book it directly with the airline.
Are refunds or changes to flights allowed? So far out buying a basic non changeable fare might be cheaper but more costly in the end!

There is no clear answer and people make very different decisions! I rarely buy tickets much more than two or three months in advance. But many people do it one year in advance.

It also depends on you and the market you are in - Do you have dozens of choices in terms of route and airline? Are you traveling a route that often has sales? Do you enjoy the time-consuming hunt for a bargain? How badly do you want to save a couple hundred dollars?

You can pay extra for complete flexibility. You can take a risk on whether something will interfere and you will lose some of the deposit. You can guess whether the extra cost of flexibility will be a good investment. You can guess if the rise in prices due to fuel costs will exceed the price of that flexibility that you purchased. Etc., etc. o_Oo_O

If you must fix your dates well in advance because of your work, then that might influence you to book earlier. Rising fuel prices might influence in the same direction. But is 10% saving in ticket price now worth locking you in to dates now? Only you can decide!

I wait and take what is available when I am ready to commit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But my advice is to use skyscanner.com and kayak.com. Keep watching until you find a fare that is flexible and acceptable and book it directly with the airline.
I second this advice, though I prefer to do my searches on Google Flights. Above all, don't be tempted by some bait and switch fares offered by third parties, many of which don't have "live" pricing. Book directly with the airline. If there's any problem you don't want a middleman between you and the airline.

I was once told by someone who worked for an airline that the tempting deals on offer are designed so that as few people as possible are able to take advantage of them. As rough guide the earlier you book the better, but this is not set in stone. There is no way to know when the best time is, best you can do is make an educated guess based on your travel dates and flexibility.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like others, I don't think there is one clear answer here. I have a pattern of booking dates that give me some flexibility to take rest days, a sick day should I need that, and a few days visiting my son in England. The flights to and from Australia get booked at the first 'sale' after flights are put up. Release dates vary a bit, but that means looking from about 12 months ahead.

When I am getting close to Santiago, or Trondheim if I am walking the St Olavs Ways, I then book my flights to London. I don't expect to get sale prices at that point, but it is a relatively small part of the total travel cost.

With all the uncertainty about travelling from Australia, I didn't do bookings for late April until six weeks or so ago, and it is still unclear whether I will need to change one, if not two, legs. There may be some cost if I have to, I just hope not too much.

Right now, I am also willing to pay a little more for a more flexible ticket and fully refundable accommodation bookings.

I have seen very low prices a while ago for flights to Spain. But at present I still have too many questions. Even if I did not, my last year's experience, of buying tickets several months ahead and then having my direct flights from Canada to and from Spain cancelled, has made me cautious. You may think you are certain, but the airline that you choose to fly with may just be trolling for possible passengers and not really commited to the routes which you want. They will know better where they are flying closer to the dates. And then, the progress of the pandemic and the possibility of renewed regulations are also beyond our control.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There's no answer to this, it depends on your priorities. I'm in the "book as soon as flights are available and pay for flexible flight dates" camp, as to me, not worrying about it trumps lesser cost.
Lowest cost can be achieved by being willing to be on the road longer, i.e. no direct flight but getting there with multiple connecting flights and layovers

Just a choice.

Good question with many different answers. When I get Camino fever, about a year to nine months before I can go, I start searching for flights. I’m a loyal customer of a large airline so they are my go to. I use the HOPPER app for all my dates and destinations. I get notifications when airfare has changed then suggests if I should wait or book. If it says book I’ll go to my airline and choose which flight works for me. I’ve found HOPPER to be pretty accurate in the ebb and flow of airfare.
This year I got a steal. I booked in January for a September Camino. ☺️ Have fun with your planning.

Last edited:
Given the current state of the world affairs,I don’t think anyone knows. But my advice is to use skyscanner.com and kayak.com. Keep watching until you find a fare that is flexible and acceptable and book it directly with the airline.
Are refunds or changes to flights allowed? So far out buying a basic non changeable fare might be cheaper but more costly in the end!
Good advice , used to say buy 90 days out , I heard it from a travel agent . But that was way before this crazinesses. I still like to check a couple sites daily for a few weeks if you have the time

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As discussed, there are many variables at play here.

1. Are you flying Economy, Premium Economy, Business Class, or First Class?

There are numerous perks associated with Business Class and First Class that make flying more tolerable. However, please remember that domestic First Class and International First Class have nothing to do with each other. So don't be fooled by a "First Class" ticket that starts with a domestic leg. Los Angeles to Madrid on British Airways in First Class means ten hours in a lie flat seat on a wide body airplane for the Los Angeles to London leg. However, Los Angeles to Madrid on Delta is often a non-lie flat seat in a cramped 737 on the Los Angeles to Atlanta leg. So, when comparing fares, you need to understand what you are actually getting from each airline for each leg.

2. Are you willing to take indirect routes that have eighteen-hour layovers? Or are you a get there as fast as possible flyer?

If you are flying Business Class or First Class, you can tolerate long layovers better. For example, British Airways lounges at Heathrow are quiet, have showers, and free massage chairs. Eighteen hours there is way better than eighteen hours sitting near your gate.

3. Do you suffer from jet lag?

If so, you want to book on 787's or A350's because they pressurize their cabins down to a few thousand feet. Older aircraft only pressurize down to six or eight thousand feet. If you live at sea level and then suddenly spend fourteen hours in a 747 pressurized down to only 8,000 feet you can literally begin to feel the beginning of altitude sickness. But airlines know that 787's and A350's help with jet lag and price seats on those planes accordingly.

4. Do you want to be plugged in with your airline? In other words, do you want them to automatically rebook your next flight if something goes wrong on the first leg of your trip?

Then you need to buy your ticket directly from them rather than a ticket discount site.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was once told by someone who worked for an airline that the tempting deals on offer are designed so that as few people as possible are able to take advantage of them. As rough guide the earlier you book the better, but this is not set in stone. There is no way to know when the best time is, best you can do is make an educated guess based on your travel dates and flexibility.
When I was making my first flight in May last year to visit family I'd not seen in 1.5 years, flights were not fully back in swing, and I nabbed a Mint seat on Jet Blue for, like, $50 more than I would have spent on an economy ticket (with a fee for extra legroom) - and it was glorious! (Now those seats are about $500 or more than economy... :( )

I second this advice, though I prefer to do my searches on Google Flights. Above all, don't be tempted by some bait and switch fares offered by third parties, many of which don't have "live" pricing. Book directly with the airline. If there's any problem you don't want a middleman between you and the airline.

Great! I never knew the difference with those sites. I did always end up buying direct. (Though one time I used Orbitz or whatever for a car rental - and that was messed up!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Helpful questions for me. And I have taken note of those sites. Thanks!

There is no clear answer and people make very different decisions! I rarely buy tickets much more than two or three months in advance. But many people do it one year in advance.

It also depends on you and the market you are in - Do you have dozens of choices in terms of route and airline? Are you traveling a route that often has sales? Do you enjoy the time-consuming hunt for a bargain? How badly do you want to save a couple hundred dollars?

You can pay extra for complete flexibility. You can take a risk on whether something will interfere and you will lose some of the deposit. You can guess whether the extra cost of flexibility will be a good investment. You can guess if the rise in prices due to fuel costs will exceed the price of that flexibility that you purchased. Etc., etc. o_Oo_O

If you must fix your dates well in advance because of your work, then that might influence you to book earlier. Rising fuel prices might influence in the same direction. But is 10% saving in ticket price now worth locking you in to dates now? Only you can decide!

I wait and take what is available when I am ready to commit.
Excellent points for me to ponder!

Like others, I don't think there is one clear answer here. I have a pattern of booking dates that give me some flexibility to take rest days, a sick day should I need that, and a few days visiting my son in England. The flights to and from Australia get booked at the first 'sale' after flights are put up. Release dates vary a bit, but that means looking from about 12 months ahead.

When I am getting close to Santiago, or Trondheim if I am walking the St Olavs Ways, I then book my flights to London. I don't expect to get sale prices at that point, but it is a relatively small part of the total travel cost.

With all the uncertainty about travelling from Australia, I didn't do bookings for late April until six weeks or so ago, and it is still unclear whether I will need to change one, if not two, legs. There may be some cost if I have to, I just hope not too much.

Right now, I am also willing to pay a little more for a more flexible ticket and fully refundable accommodation bookings.
Thanks for the perspective. I do want flexibility for changes. I'll need to commit to a return date when I make the flight because of my family, but I'm trying not to trip out too much on exact dates, rest days, hang out days, how many km I'll walk daily - I have no idea how I'll fare; it's my first camino - to go on in between the to and from.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have seen very low prices a while ago for flights to Spain. But at present I still have too many questions. Even if I did not, my last year's experience, of buying tickets several months ahead and then having my direct flights from Canada to and from Spain cancelled, has made me cautious. You may think you are certain, but the airline that you choose to fly with may just be trolling for possible passengers and not really commited to the routes which you want. They will know better where they are flying closer to the dates. And then, the progress of the pandemic and the possibility of renewed regulations are also beyond our control.
Good points! I guess I never thought about the "trolling" aspect. I've always wondered about why flights mysteriously get canceled (not pertaining to weather).

There's no answer to this, it depends on your priorities. I'm in the "book as soon as flights are available and pay for flexible flight dates" camp, as to me, not worrying about it trumps lesser cost.
Lowest cost can be achieved by being willing to be on the road longer, i.e. no direct flight but getting there with multiple connecting flights and layovers

Just a choice.
Good points. While I cannot break the bank on flights, I am definitely not an indirect flight/layover/3 days en route person (unless it's in a place where I know people and have the time to visit them - which I don't at this moment).

Last edited:
Good question with many different answers. When I get Camino fever, about a year to nine months before I can go, I start searching for flights. I’m a loyal customer of a large airline so they are my go to. I use the HOPPER app for all my dates and destinations. I get notifications when airfare has changed then suggests if I should wait or book. If it says book I’ll go to my airline and choose which flight works for me. I’ve found HOPPER to be pretty accurate in the ebb and flow of airfare.
This year I got a steal. I booked in January for a September Camino. ☺️ Have fun with your planning.
Will definitely look into HOPPER. May I ask what that large airline is? (Sorry if private information.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will definitely look into HOPPER. May I ask what that large airline is? (Sorry if private information.)
Oh not private at all. Delta for my international travel. I’ve always had great experiences with Delta/KLM. I started with Northwest/KLM until Northwest merged into Delta back in 2008. I use Delta for my international travel and Southwest for local travel.

Thanks for the perspective. I do want flexibility for changes. I'll need to commit to a return date when I make the flight because of my family, but I'm trying not to trip out too much on exact dates, rest days, hang out days, how many km I'll walk daily - I have no idea how I'll fare; it's my first camino - to go on in between the to and from.
Its a different subject, but a KEY thing to think about. Young fit people will do the Frances in 30-33 days. Older folks will do it in 34-37 days. You won't know your natural pace until you are half way there. If you can, give yourself at least six weeks, seven is better. What will you do with all that extra time, if you have it? Walk to finisterre/muxia with your friends. Head to Porto for a week and unwind - You can book your return flight from there, it has great connections and is a 3 hour bus ride from Santiago. Meander your way back to Madrid via San Sebastion or the south. Book your flight home from Paris and spend some time in a great food/museum environment. Chill out at an Air BnB on the North coast. A little bit of all of the above, the choices are endless. Every one will have a different idea what to do with a week at the end. Decide when you get there..........just give yourself the time if you possibly can. A hurry home may be a reality, but if there is any way to avoid it.....DO!

As discussed, there are many variables at play here.

1. Are you flying Economy, Premium Economy, Business Class, or First Class?

There are numerous perks associated with Business Class and First Class that make flying more tolerable. However, please remember that domestic First Class and International First Class have nothing to do with each other. So don't be fooled by a "First Class" ticket that starts with a domestic leg. Los Angeles to Madrid on British Airways in First Class means ten hours in a lie flat seat on a wide body airplane for the Los Angeles to London leg. However, Los Angeles to Madrid on Delta is often a non-lie flat seat in a cramped 737 on the Los Angeles to Atlanta leg. So, when comparing fares, you need to understand what you are actually getting from each airline for each leg.

2. Are you willing to take indirect routes that have eighteen-hour layovers? Or are you a get there as fast as possible flyer?

If you are flying Business Class or First Class, you can tolerate long layovers better. For example, British Airways lounges at Heathrow are quiet, have showers, and free massage chairs. Eighteen hours there is way better than eighteen hours sitting near your gate.

3. Do you suffer from jet lag?

If so, you want to book on 787's or A350's because they pressurize their cabins down to a few thousand feet. Older aircraft only pressurize down to six or eight thousand feet. If you live at sea level and then suddenly spend fourteen hours in a 747 pressurized down to only 8,000 feet you can literally begin to feel the beginning of altitude sickness. But airlines know that 787's and A350's help with jet lag and price seats on those planes accordingly.

4. Do you want to be plugged in with your airline? In other words, do you want them to automatically rebook your next flight if something goes wrong on the first leg of your trip?

Then you need to buy your ticket directly from them rather than a ticket discount site.

Amazing questions and points. I wrote you back in messages.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your thoughts, points, questions, distinctions, everyone. I'm putting all that information into the pot. I think I will at least start looking. Well, continue looking - with flexibility being key. So if the price suits me now (as well as other variables), and I find flexibility, that might mean getting a flight sooner than later - I think!

On a related note: Has anyone flown "premium economy"? (I believe it's called different things on different airlines.) Don't know if that should be a question on a new thread. Let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
On a related note: Has anyone flown "premium economy"
Not yet. I’ve flown Comfort+ but this year I might splurge and take the bait Delta is offering me now that I’ve purchased my flights. For my Salt Lake City to Amsterdam they’re offering Premium Economy as an upgrade and I have more than enough points/miles to grab my seat. Hey, why not. 😁🤷🏻‍♀️

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for your thoughts, points, questions, distinctions, everyone. I'm putting all that information into the pot. I think I will at least start looking. Well, continue looking - with flexibility being key. So if the price suits me now (as well as other variables), and I find flexibility, that might mean getting a flight sooner than later - I think!

On a related note: Has anyone flown "premium economy"? (I believe it's called different things on different airlines.) Don't know if that should be a question on a new thread. Let me know.

Thanks!
Yes I have flown Premium Econ a few times. When they first created it, it was only a few hundred dollars more than economy but then when they saw the popularity: blast off. I now have seen it several thousand dollars higher. Bah.
As to when to buy, it's the luck of the draw, it seems, to get a not outrageous price. In the olden days they said Sundays or Tuesdays were the better days to find deals, but I think now it is a crap shoot.
I start looking even a year out, and as has been suggested, I tend to look at skyscanner to get an idea of routes and prices (and avoid airports on the east coast, LAX, etc.).
And as mentioned above, always book directly with the airline you choose, never through a third party.
And along with albertagirl, any time I book more than 5-6 months out, the airline ALWAYS changes at least one leg of the flight because the flight has been eliminated. No consultation--they don't care if they've booked me with strange layovers, or getting back at midnight, when I have a 5 hour drive to get home--because one leg is elimated, they wipe out everything on my schedule after that--flights and seats and meals, etc. However when I call to rearrange the mess they've made, the rep always is apologetic and understanding and helpful, but it still means wasting the better part of an hour, changing plans, and sometimes spending more (such as last year spending a chunk of change for a hotel room near the Dallas airport just to be able to get back to my state when it's daylight).

Good luck and buen camino.

I have never paid for premium economy, but I also do not pay to book my seat, since the airlines have to give me a seat when I sign in, 24 hours before my flight. Once or twice, I have been put into premium economy. I assume that that happens when all other seats are filled and the benefit comes to me.

It is best to book tickets a couple of months before the trip so that the price will be the lowest. It is a common practice in airlines, as people usually plan their trips about a couple of months before departure. Another obvious advantage of booking tickets is that you can choose the seats you like. Perhaps it is not so important for those who fly alone, but it is very useful for people with children. I recently flew to Costa Rica, and the company I chose needed to be as comfortable as possible since it was a transfer for my birthday. I chose the private jet charter cost estimator, and I do not regret my choice. It was one of the best flights and birthdays of my life.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is best to book tickets a couple of months before the trip, so the price will be the lowest
There is no hard and fast rule . If the plane does not fill up, the airlines will usually try and sell off sell off those economy tickets at a lower price and I have seen it happen! But as I stated using sites like skyscanner and Kayak to get a handle or establish a baseline price or what an acceptable rate might be to me is helpful.

How far out to book a route ( and having to worry about route changes) really depends IMO on whether the route itself, is well established and a non stop flight, such as NY to Madrid. I fly a well established non-stop route from EWR (united hub) directly to Madrid. I would be more hesitant about booking a flight further out that wasn’t non-stop.

This year, I made my booking in March for a flight to the camino and back in the fall. So far, there have been two changes; the first included a change of date. As it gave me one more day in Spain and I had no urgent need to be home a day earlier, I was content. However, I insisted that connecting flights be far enough apart that I could make the connection. The second time, my return flight only allowed for less than two hours connecting time, with the need to go through passport control, customs, and possibly covid precautions before heading for my flight. I was assured that there were two later connecting flights which I could be put on, so I accepted the change. But I am not at all confident that there will be no further changes. I rather expect that there will be.

I generally have a price in my head that I want to pay. If it goes below thst, I purchase the ticket. I start looking about 10 months to a year in advance. If it gets to be about four months ahead and I never saw the price I wanted, that is when I start to reassess. I fly internationally a lot so I usually have a good sense of what prices should be, although right now that seems a little out of whack. My last two flights from the US to Europe I bought seven and ten months in advance.

As others have said, always buy directly from the airline. That has long been good advice but even more-so now when things are constantly changing. I flew to Portugal last October and had to contact the airline three different times as things changed with my booking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am curious whether the prices for the itinerary have changed.
I really don't know. But I consider an air ticket from Calgary to Lyon in France via Montreal and back from Madrid to Calgary via Toronto at a little over $1,000 to be a very reasonable price. I haven't bought travel insurance yet, but I expect it to cost more than my ticket. I wanted to fly to Europe direct from Canada, and the same for the return, to avoid the covid regulation complications of last year. But who knows what this fall will bring?

I consider an air ticket from Calgary to Lyon in France via Montreal and back from Madrid to Calgary via Toronto at a little over $1,000 to be a very reasonable price
I only asked because I was curious if you found that your strategy of booking 6-7 months in advance was in fact getting you a better fare than booking, say, 2-3 months before the flight date.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I only asked because I was curious if you found that your strategy of booking 6-7 months in advance was in fact getting you a better fare than booking, say, 2-3 months before the flight date.
I suppose that, if you asked Air Canada, you could get a fair idea from the reply.

And dont forget to check possible flight routes instead of the obvious. We flew Sydney to Istanbul with time spent there and then on to Lisbon. Our daughter will fly over in a couple of days from Sydney to London via Hong Kong (a BA/Cathay co flight) and short transit time to fly in to Porto, saving $600 + compared to flying into Madrid or Portugal. Compare flights using the "multi city" choice sometimes works better for me, as I use Skyscanner mostly but compare flight costs on other sites as well. Flight Centre has also occasionally had the best price going at the time. I only book outgoing flights usually as things change once we are over here and I like having open options but that can make others a bit uncomfortable which I understand. I book flights out of Australia 8 to 4 weeks before usually. Unfortunately the deals we had before covid /fuel costs /ect are a thing of the past but why pay more than necessary if you are happy to research.

Back