• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to start in SJPdP

Paul van Gool

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
Hi, me and my girlfriend are planning to do the camino in 2015 starting at St. Jean Pied de Port. We are wondering when we best could start our trip. We prefer the spring season. I know mother nature can not be predicted but can someone give us some guidelines about until when we can expect snow on the first day to Roncesvalles and when chance for snow will become small.

I tried to find the answer in the forum but did not manage to find it.

Thanks in advance
Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started in SJPP on March 9th and finished April15 2013. I would not recommend starting that early. I plan on doing it again and think I will start the second week of April. March was cold, snowy, rainy and windy. Also many places were not open for business yet. We had to walk on the highway many times because the path was snowed in. I know the weather can be different year to year but I am not going to take that chance. Buen Camino!

Where will be the best point to start from. I am planning my Camino in June of 2015. I will be flying from Denver, Colorado, USA.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, me and my girlfriend are planning to do the camino in 2015 starting at St. Jean Pied de Port. We are wondering when we best could start our trip. We prefer the spring season. I know mother nature can not be predicted but can someone give us some guidelines about until when we can expect snow on the first day to Roncesvalles and when chance for snow will become small.

Thanks in advance
Paul

I started the Camino 2 years ago at SJPDP on April 28th. The weather was cool & clears& beautiful. Granted, I was not nearly in good enough shape. Stayed in Orisson that night (wouldnt recommend missing this lovely place, especially the dinner they served)! But washed my clothes, hung them on the line to dry,; cold, cold rain came in the night. Clothes wetter than wet in the a.m. Freezing cold. Disheartened. Did not complete. Guess my advice is: don't wash your clothes!LOL.

Hi, me and my girlfriend are planning to do the camino in 2015 starting at St. Jean Pied de Port. We are wondering when we best could start our trip. We prefer the spring season. I know mother nature can not be predicted but can someone give us some guidelines about until when we can expect snow on the first day to Roncesvalles and when chance for snow will become small
Paul
If you can deal with cold and snow then the advice from Mainewalkergirl is what you seek. Me, I prefer the warmer days in June/July and September/October but that also means walking with a lot of other pilgrims which sometimes turns into the "bed race" so to speak unless you pace yourself and stop early each day at the points between the Brierley stages.
and,
To Kuriya 50: start in St. Jean Pied de Port and walk for 35 to 40 days to Santiago, I assume you have the time. Plane from Denver to Paris, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Pau or Biarritz and train to SJPdP or plane to Madrid or Bilbao and bus to SJPdP; there are lots of choices.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Paul,

The best time is Spring, undoubtedly, spring flowers, plenty of water in the fuentes, minimal bed bug spread in the early season, off peak (Summer) and the weather improves as you walk. We walked 13th May to 13th June, we had so much fun we can't remember the bad weather, just different weather :)

Buen Camino

Andy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We started from StJPDP in late May last year. There had been a snowstorm the day before. We had okay weather to Orrisson and spent a great night there. Next morning we encountered drizzly rain, which later was driven by a mighty wind, then sleet, but not snow fortunately. We huddled in a little hut with about 50 other people at lunch time to try to keep warm out of the wind. The descent to Roncesvalles was through sludgy snow. Beautiful clear cold day the next day as we left Roncesvalles. Hard to believe how bad it had been the day before. We then encountered rain all the way along the camino - rainjackets on and off and walking west into a cold wind that gave us colds. Not that good, but we enjoyed it anyway and wouldn't have missed it.

I started in SJPP on March 9th and finished April15 2013. I would not recommend starting that early. I plan on doing it again and think I will start the second week of April. March was cold, snowy, rainy and windy. Also many places were not open for business yet. We had to walk on the highway many times because the path was snowed in. I know the weather can be different year to year but I am not going to take that chance. Buen Camino!

I walked almost the exact same days this year! The consensus among us pilgrims was that we had picked the perfect time to walk.The weather was beautiful. We did get some rain, and the folks behind us got some snow, but it was never anything too severe. I would say that some places weren't open yet, but it was never a real problem. It was because there were pilgrims on the road and you could meet new friends everyday, but it wasn't so busy that you had to rush for a bed everyday.

I started May 2 nd 2014. Stopped in Orisson. The weather on Saturday May 3 rd was dreadful. Cold, fog and driving wind. Ankle deep mud. The people who went over the next day had perfect weather. It is just like that some good days some bad

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks in advance
Paul

There is too much variability. Last year (2012/2013) was a heavy snow year and there was discussion of it into May. This year (2013/2014) the talk of snow on this forum tapered off around the end of March.

So the low chance of snow would be by early May. There is real chance of snow lingering at the higher elevations (say above Orrison) into late March.

Actually its warmer walking in a snow storm than it is walking in cold rain. The cold freezes the moisture out of the air. You don't get wet nearly so fast.

I started on 4th April last year. There were a couple of days of snow but it was nothing to write home about. Sure it is a little cooler but I am one who gets really hot walking so it suited me fine. However we live in very unpredictable weather days, so who knows what it may be like when you set out. Spring is what I like. And of course it puts a spring into my steps and I love the mdic in the air with the birds chipping, the cuckoo birds calling and the new life all around the place. AND of course the life of the camino itself. Pick a season for yourself that you will feel comfortable with and then after you have prepared your mind just go and enjoy it all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Thanks in advance
Paul
I started on May 27 of 2013. Perfect weather. One day of rain in 33 days of walking. Pleasant temps. And the way was not yet crowded. Plan to do the same in 2016!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back