• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to walk VDLP

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
I've walked 2 Caminos in the past, but that was in May/June, so the temps were perfect in Galicia. I'm considering VDLP for my next Camino, and I'm wondering if it would be warm enough in March.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm wondering if it would be warm enough in March.
Warm enough for what? :p
I started in Seville on March 18, 2017. The weather was very good throughout my walk to Astorga, with only a couple of days of rain. Other years it isn't good in March. Or April. Then sometimes it's too hot in May.

Some mornings were quite chilly but it warmed up to perfect walking temperatures during the day. Take a sleeping bag and layers, layers, layers.

I thought mid-March was great, but the wild flowers would be better in April-May.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
May/June, so the temps were perfect in Galicia.
Of course, one year can be very different from another, so there's no way to predict exactly what weather you'll get. If May/Jun is good for you in Galicia, perhaps you should start walking from Seville in early- to mid-April.

I've walked 2 Caminos in the past, but that was in May/June, so the temps were perfect in Galicia. I'm considering VDLP for my next Camino, and I'm wondering if it would be warm enough in March.
It’s a lottery. In March 2018 it was heavily flooded in early to mid March.
By early April it was hot by Salamanca and need to finish by 2-3 pm.
In 2019 people coming into Salamanca in April were trudging through snow.
So no way of knowing. Agree just be prepared for both cold and hot.
I will start in Zamora 30 March and be prepared for rain, cold and heat!
Buen Camino
Mark

I'm glad someone asked this question and I have read the responses, which all make perfect sense. Allow me to ask then...When should someone NOT want to walk the VDLP? (What months to avoid)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When should someone NOT want to walk the VDLP? (What months to avoid)
It's quite personal of course. I started my VdlP last year the third week of August, thinking "It's almost September, so fall is getting close". That was a bit naive. When I started, temperatures would reach 48 Celsius (118 Fahrenheit).

That was hot. I seriously considered 'moving' to the Camino Portugues or the Del Norte. Instead, I decided to give it a try and really liked starting to walk at 3 am, taking advantage of the full moon. Those night walks proved to be the most wonderful experience I've had on my Camino's. So different from walking during the day (also spiritually).

But I also met others who just walked like they would otherwise. They'd just give in to the sweating and take precautions (lots of water, covering the head and skin) and they were just fine.

So it really depends on your preferences. But, as always: safety first!!

Many would say June, July, August, September are too hot. However, I know at least one person on the forum who regularly enjoys the southern routes in mid-summer.
Indeed. One could also issue a general warning about mid-winter, when some facilities are closed and temperatures are freezing. But there are some people who thrive on that kind of pilgrimage too. My guess is that there are more mid-winter walkers than there are mid-summer walkers, but I don't have any data on that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year I started from Seville in mid-March and it was for me very hot. Only managed five days walking to Fuente de Cantos and had to stop due to extreme blisters [first I have ever had]. Think the heat was partially to blame. Starting again in 2020 from FdC on 5 Feb but knowing my luck the weather will be completely different - so something of a lottery.

I would avoid July and August in Extremadura. There is a reason it is known as the Frypan of Europe!
February had better weather than March this year but in 2018 there were blizzards. The locals are saying that Spring seems to be kicking in sooner ever year. So you need to have a broad range of gear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Started this past February 11. I was told that the year before (2018) some stages were closed due to snow. This year, the weather could not have been better. Although I saw few pilgrims, I found the experience to be beyond my expectations. Very different from the Francés, with a number of longer stages (including several of 40+ km and many in the 30-35 km range). As much as I enjoyed walking the Francés from SJPP in March/April of 2017, I would say that this camino was, for me, even more memorable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
March is a good time to start from Seville but remember that the Via is 1000km long and from south to north, so it passes through several different climate zones which means you could possibly experience every type of weather imaginable.

Gerald

March is a good time to start from Seville but remember that the Via is 1000km long and from south to north, so it passes through several different climate zones which means you could possibly experience every type of weather imaginable.

Gerald

I am now realizing this to be true. Thank you for mentioning this fact.

Last year I started from Seville in mid-March and it was for me very hot. Only managed five days walking to Fuente de Cantos and had to stop due to extreme blisters [first I have ever had]. Think the heat was partially to blame. Starting again in 2020 from FdC on 5 Feb but knowing my luck the weather will be completely different - so something of a lottery.

How hot was hot?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back