• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When Two Hyperlight Backpackers Meet

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Video removed to prevent further argument. I apologize for being insensitive to the fact that the video may be difficult to understand.

For those wishing to view the video outside of the Forum, you can go to YouTube and look up JupiterHikes and then the video of his called "When two ultralight backpackers meet".

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had such a laugh at this YouTube video. It was produced by a serious and experienced ultralight backpacker, with the aim of using self-deprecating humor to poke fun at the Alpha Male version of the Ultralight backpacking community.

Brilliant
Me....I carry 2 lbs and walk 50 km a day..
Easy peasy!!!

I wish!

I had such a laugh at this YouTube video. It was produced by a serious and experienced ultralight backpacker, with the aim of using self-deprecating humor to poke fun at the Alpha Male version of the Ultralight backpacking community.

From a professional point of view that's extremely poorly done.
Also as a non-native speaker I caught maybe one third they were talking about.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well kinky
Now is your chance!!
Why not make your own version.......with your good self in the starring role!!

Lights...Camers....Action

I can imagine that given English is not your first language, that an English language YouTube video could be frustrating, especially American English and especially when some phrases are lingo that is unique to the backpacking community.

I disagree that it is poorly done, however, given the purpose and nature of the video. It is done for a specific target audience, and posted to the amateur-centric YouTube site. It would definitely not be worthy of an Emmy award, though. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I disagree that it is poorly done, however, given the purpose and nature of the video. It is done for a specific target audience, and posted to the amateur-centric YouTube site. It would definitely not be worthy of an Emmy award, though. :)
I'll explain why I KNOW it's poorly done in PM. No point in stealing the thread to discuss tricks of the work of film director that are well known since the film was discovered ;)

I'll explain why I KNOW it's poorly done in PM. No point in stealing the thread to discuss tricks of the work of film director that are well known since the film was discovered ;)

I've removed the video. I apologize for not thinking about the language issues..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've removed the video. I apologize for not thinking about the language issues..
NOOO, why did you do that??????????????

I didn't want to argue at all, it was just a comment. And the reason I wrote you PM for the same reason.

Video removed to prevent further argument. I apologize for being insensitive to the fact that the video may be difficult to understand.

For those wishing to view the video outside of the Forum, you can go to YouTube and look up JupiterHikes and then the video of his called "When two ultralight backpackers meet".
I don’t really want to leap into the fray except to say I thought it was very funny, not everyone is going to “get” everything thing that is posted and that I hope this doesn’t prevent you from further postings that might also not be fully understood by everyone but appreciated by others.

That wasn't hard to do. Thanks.

I like the videos of the mentioned Dixie and Darwin and the unmentioned Bigfoot (and the posts of @davebugg).

[Slightly edited from my original post to mention vlogs and link to the YouTube channels.]

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don’t really want to leap into the fray except to say I thought it was very funny, not everyone is going to “get” everything thing that is posted and that I hope this doesn’t prevent you from further postings that might also not be fully understood by everyone but appreciated by others.

Nah, I still will post stuff, as always. And I did edit the thread to allow folks to find the video on YouTube outside of the Forum.

My goal is to avoid having what I post be a negative on the Forum; there was a valid reason posted which rightly pointed out why this thread may have led to that.

Didn't understand it all, but amusing. (separated by a common language and all that)
Sadly I think there are 'grains' of a Camino Pilgrim in that video :oops:

Sleeping mat? No way!
Bag or liner? A net curtain that weights 18 gms!
35 or 45 L pack? 25!
Poncho or rain jacket? Garbage bag liner!
25 or 30 kms a day. 50! And I run some parts.

It's all discussed so frequently here :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn't view the video, but I must really be out of the loop and lingo.
We have gone from light to ultralight gear....with the newest being "hyperlight". Maybe next year "crazylight" gear will be unveiled.😂

Yeah, unless you're into the American backpacking scene, a lot of the inside jokes and terminology might not make sense. Hyperlight is a new sub category of Ultralight. Lightweight is heavier than Ultralight. :)

Many of us joke about 'how low can you go', and those backpackers living in the realm of Unicorns and Fairies are so absurd that many of us refer to their packing lists as being Stupidlight. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
many of us refer to their packing lists as being Stupidlight [emphasis added by Rick]
My favorite part? Backpacker 1 drinks non-potable water and is later asked by Backpacker 2
"Water filter?"
"No. Giardia?" [link]​
Backpacker 2 brags "Three times."

My favorite part? Backpacker 1 drinks non-potable water and is later asked by Backpacker 2
"Water filter?"
"No. Giardia?" [link]​
Wow, Giardia sounds worse than I ever thought. The only positive that I can see is weight loss. Maybe it can be chemically made and sold in pharmacies in capsule form, sitting alongside the other less successful over the counter diet pills.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Found on You Tube. VERRRRY funny. But can’t understand what on earth was so controversial that it had to be removed from this site???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for adding a stealth link back! That was ultralight of you. This reminds me of when while not quite ultralight, after our Camino my hubby and I wanted to see if we could backpack in using our Osprey 45’s. We have a under 2 lb tent we split, used our silk liners, down blanket, carried water filter and food. Not much else. The kicker was the mandatory bear canister. It just “bearly” fit in our pack, pushing us out of the lightweight effort. And it rained/misted the whole time, ruining our interest in trying a coastal hike with lightweight gear. We couldn’t sit up in the tent, didn’t have a tarp so we got wet sitting outside, and once our rain coat was wet, we were done. Lesson learned, but fun trying. We did see a couple bears fishing for seafood which I found interesting and decided ultralight backpacking wasn’t for the PNW, of if there’s a chance of precipitation. I can see it inspiring us to lighten our Camino packs though. I must say there were a couple afternoons when I carried a bottle of vino...don’t ask why!!

"Water filter?"
"No. Giardia?" [link]​
The Giardia comment was one of the few comments I didn't get straight away but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of this hilarious video and the self-deprecating humour of the hiker who made it. I read through the appreciating comments on YouTube and gained further enlightenment :). So there is a LighterPack app? I am sooo tempted to register and try it out 😃 (I think it's free even).

Last edited:
The Giardia comment was one of the few comments I didn't get straight away but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of this hilarious video and the self-deprecating humour of the hiker who made it. I read through the appreciating comments on YouTube and gained further enlightenment :). So there is a LighterPack app? I am sooo tempted to register and try it out 😃 (I think it's free even).

It is hilarious the way Stupidlight backpackers have actually worn a Giardia infection as a badge of honor. Especially when an effective water filtration system now weighs less than carrying Aqua Mira purification solution. These new generation of 'micro filters' make water treatment for wilderness backpacking a non-issue.

Found on You Tube. VERRRRY funny. But can’t understand what on earth was so controversial that it had to be removed from this site???

Hi. :)

It didn't have to be removed, but I decided to do so. It wasn't the Moderators or anyone else's decision to do so; the decision is on me :)

The Title got me - "When two hyperlight backpackers meet"

Gosh - that looks interesting, so I expected a nudity warning.:)

But the conversation above is very different.

We won't mention what I've seen in alburgues. :eek:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So I couldn't resist and tried out LighterPack. You see a LighterPack printout in one scene. The app works out your "base weight", and your "worn items" and your "consumables". And you can create categories for your items like I did ... nice to have items and not necessary items. You get a colourful pretty overview of everything you carry either in you backpack or on you. I know that there are pilgrims with home made spreadsheets of their backpack items including their weight. This app is way cooler 🙃.

If you want to take your backpack items list with you, make sure to print it on ultralight paper.

Last edited:
They’re even hyperlight with their language!

I’d always thought it was Giardiasis, but perhaps the name of the parasite is how it’s referred to in the US.

I was a little concerned, having read all the comments before I looked on YouTube, that I found it all so easy to follow .... despite not having had much contact with the backpacking community (fraternity? 😉 ) for at least 10 years.

Toothbrush handles used to look like Meccano; now it seems they are cut/sanded down to a ‘nub’ 😄

I blame the Mountain Marathons and those compulsory kit lists!

[
I’d always thought it was Giardiasis, but perhaps the name of the parasite is how it’s referred to in the US.

:) Giardiasis is the 'infection', while Giardia is the cause of the Giardiasis. It is an easy thing to mix up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yup ... thanks Dave!
I realised that 😉
It might be a UK thing ... to refer to the ‘condition’, rather than the thing which causes it?
(I still have my Katadyn from the 80s ... the ‘pocket’ one, with the ceramic filter 😉 😂 ... water purification has moved on a bit, hasn’t it, thank heavens!)

Yup ... thanks Dave!
I realised that 😉
It might be a UK thing ... to refer to the ‘condition’, rather than the thing which causes it?
(I still have my Katadyn from the 80s ... the ‘pocket’ one, with the ceramic filter 😉 😂 ... water purification has moved on a bit, hasn’t it, thank heavens!)
I have one of those Katadyns, too.

This was awesome! Jupiter is such a great guy and the reference to Dixie and Darwin was great as well! And making fun of the crazy thing about not counting stuff as your base weight when you still have to carry it..too funny!
I guess I watch too many hiking related videos on youtube...but they are just so great and make the staying at home because of work a lot easier.
Thanks for sharing!

Loved it.

We are all writing in English here so of course an English video must be ok? I had to pause and calculate some stuff into km and kg :) Hey they even walk longer than me in a day :) Must be my heavy backpack holding me down to ~40 km/day.

Hey Davebugg I was looking at your youtube channel after viewing your funny video hoping to see some video of your Camino and saw nothing. Also, could you explain your logo "when I have your wounded" I thought you might be a medic. I am confused...please set the record straight.

I know it's kind of off a tangent but having watched the video what came to my mind was the Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshire Men' sketch.

'Eeee, you was lucky, when I were a lad an osprey was a bird not something you kept yer tackle in.'

Hey Davebugg I was looking at your youtube channel after viewing your funny video hoping to see some video of your Camino and saw nothing. Also, could you explain your logo "when I have your wounded" I thought you might be a medic. I am confused...please set the record straight.

Hi, Apple. . .

I was a Dustoff flight Medic assigned to the 57th in Vietnam. After my tour, I was then attached to the 2/421st in Schweinfurt, Germany out of Conn Barracks. The Unit motto for the 421st was "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" Anywhere".

However, there is a universal Dustoff motto. "When I have your wounded". The history of that motto is as quoted:
"Major Charles Kelly was a Dustoff pilot and the Commanding Officer of the 57th Medical Detachment (Helicopter Ambulance). He was killed in action on July 1, 1964, when, after being warned out of a hot landing zone (intense enemy fire), he replied, "When I have your wounded." A bullet entered through an open cargo door and pierced his heart. Major Kelly became the 149th American to die in Vietnam."

"The following day, an officer tossed the bullet on his desk in front of Kelly's successor, Captain Patrick Henry Brady and asked if they were going to stop flying so aggressively. Brady picked up the bullet and replied, "we are going to keep flying exactly the way Kelly taught us to fly, without hesitation, anytime, anywhere."

My video of the Camino stage from St Jean to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route is part of John Sikora's video series.

Well I guess I was very confused because the YouTube that was referred in this forum was for Juniperhiker and I thought that was you. Thank-you for your service. My husband was with the 5th Special Forces in 1968. He very much appreciated those that evacuated the wounded - sorry I think that there was a lot missing in this thread and I caught it with the sorry..." I took down the video". Again Thank you for your service❤

Well I guess I was very confused because the YouTube that was referred in this forum was for Juniperhiker and I thought that was you. Thank-you for your service. My husband was with the 5th Special Forces in 1968. He very much appreciated those that evacuated the wounded - sorry I think that there was a lot missing in this thread and I caught it with the sorry..." I took down the video". Again Thank you for your service❤

Nope, I just found the video and posted it :)

I remember meeting a couple of guys from the 5th SFG who had been assigned to MACV-SOG, as they were transition back thru Tan Son Nhut Air Base. Tough warriors.

Serving was a privilege; I appreciate your kind words.

ps- when you open your heart the Camino will speak to you, and although my husband very much supported me in my 2013 Camino these few posts have connected him in a different way. ...maybe he will join me in Sept. Buen Camino to all that walk

I just watched it and thought it was very clever. I’m Australian but still understood most of it. I watch both Dixie and Darwin . No worries.

I saw his other one: Ultralight Backpacking - Not Even Once and I thought it was hilarious. Very easy to relate to because my cousin is an extreme Ultralighter :D

Even so I learned a lot from the UL and Thru-Hiking community. I´ve managed to keep my 4 month baseweight to 09kg, rather than what I would usually carry to a camping trip (about 20kg!)

Hi Dave, I just read your reply to Apple explaining your Viet Nam experience. I enjoyed getting a little more insight into "you". Now can you tell me what "bugg" is all about...maybe the mosquitos in the jungles of Nam? ☺

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.