• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When was your first Camino?

I wanted to have done it in 1989, but as I was just a 8yo, my parents didn´t let me.
Had to keep that dream alive until I had the money and time to do it as an grown up, in 2015. I´m so glad I never let that plan die.

EDIT: so, how does an 8yo finds out about the camino? When an acquaintance of your parents turns up for dinner telling stories about this trail in Spain, a month going through villages, churchs and castles, and calling his wife only once a week because international calls were a fortune those days.
I can´t remember what we ate on that dinner, but I remember his paper photos with a wooden staff, the scruffy beard and a wooooooorn navy tshirt to this day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In graduate school 50+ years ago I attended courses by the great medieval art/architecture historian Meyer Schapiro. Several erudite lectures focused on the architecture along the Camino Frances, not only famous monuments but also simple vernacular buildings.

Schapiro stressed the importance of carved shells as the major iconic motif for identifying all related to Saint James as well as the immense social impact of the camino path across northern Spain; the path became the 'main street' with ‘burgos de francos’ or independent neighborhoods settled by former pilgrims nearby and, thus, the towns developed. ...

Bingo I was hooked and decided that someday I would walk that path myself. Forty+ years later I did in 2004 for the first of many times thinking that it would be "easy" to reach the start of the CF by train from our Paris apartment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2006, after being diagnosed with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, my doctor gave me two choices; 1) chemical chelation or 2) long distance walking. After researching the Pacific Coast Trail and the Appalachian Trail, I was discouraged. Then my friend, Joe, asked if I knew about the Camino Santiago. I researched, found this forum, and went! At the end, I felt well again. As the year passes, I begin feeling sick again so I've tried to go every year since. The Camino has changed my life!

This should be an interesting thread to watch. I only began my yearly Camino's since 2015 but have already noticed a few changes during those few short years. The main one being that so many more walkers started booking ahead, not just with hotels, but private albergues began taking reservations on booking sites. On my last two camino's I was surprised to find out that even a few munis were allowing you to email and hold a spot for you that same night as long as you arrived by a set time. By 2019, I had carefully arranged all my lodging ahead of time to avoid unnecessary angst. It seems there has been more prebooking as walkers have increased expoentially each year. I do miss stopping impromptu for the night as the mood strikes, but since I usually walk with one to three others, it becomes more difficult to wing it.
I can only imagine the many changes others have seen who have been walking camino's for many years.
Booking ahead for a bed is alright I guess, but that does not allow for the unexpected. I have found that once you make a plan, it quickly goes to crap!!

Booking ahead for a bed is alright I guess, but that does not allow for the unexpected. I have found that once you make a plan, it quickly goes to crap!!
On one of my five caminos when I traveled with three other family members we only encountered one unexpected problem by booking each day the morning of. The solution ended up being even better than the original plan.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Petsu, I was impressed that you are such a veteran. I clicked on your avatar to find out where you are from.
CSF on google offered "Cerebral Spinal Fluid" and google maps confidently directed me to DerRunder somewhere in Perth.
So...?
Hi, Paul!
Interesting those Google results 😁. I am from Finland, althoug nowadays try to spend the winters in Spain. Unfortunately that did not work due to Covid this winter.

Hi, Paul!
Interesting those Google results 😁. I am from Finland, althoug nowadays try to spend the winters in Spain. Unfortunately that did not work due to Covid this winter.
The location info in Avatar was somehow transported from my old user Id or something, from years ago, but as I had not visited the Forum in ages, forgot the password and had changed my email, so I was not able to sign in any more and had to create a new account. Had not noticed that, so now it is corrected.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
SJPP - Pamplona in 2011 with my father and brother.

2014 I returned alone and walked Pamplona - SdC.

Will do Pamplona - SdC again this June (hopefully).

My brother and I are not on speaking terms since a few years back. I pray this will be resolved somehow and maybe we can walk together again one day.

"Did you put your hand on the central column of the Portico of Glory when you arrived?"
Yes!! I first walked in the spring of 2003 when this was still allowed. It was a complete thrill and I'm not even Catholic. I knew essentially nothing when I started my first camino from SJPP. I went alone but walked with many. It truly changed my life.
I walked without anything digital, bought a 7 Euro phone card in any Tabac shop which allowed me 200 minutes to phone home to Canada from a street phone booth. Emails were handled from local libraries.
At that time older women especially would run out of their houses - wanting to just touch a pilgrim, and offering free food and drink. As I moved on they shyly gave me their names and asked if I would ask Santiago to bless them.
I planned nothing and walked and talked with people of all ages from many countries. I was 59, so was surprised when younger people would take time to walk with me for awhile and was so impressed by the depth of their dedication and searching - and their honest examination of their church and its teachings in the face of so much recent criticism.
Also walked the Camino Frances in 2005, 2009 and from Le Puy to Santiago in 2013. Can't wait to get back!!

After seeing photographs from @David Tallan from a 1989 Camino, I'm wondering how far back the communal history of the Camino stretches on this forum.

For those who walked before Coelho, MacLaine, Sheen and Kerkeling brought the Camino into a wider public consciousness, when did you first walk the Way, and how does it compare now?

What is the extent of our collective experience?
I joined the forum in spring 2012 to prepare for my first Camino that fall with my spouse after watching “The Way” which inspired so many Americans to make the journey. We walked the Frances from SJPP to Santiago and I was hooked. No phones nor apps so we took whatever lodgings we could. It was part of the experience of moving forward by faith.

My husband said not to bring it up for five years so I waited. We walked the Portugese from Porto to Santiago in 2017 but this time booked lodgings in advance because there was a Fatima pilgrimage happening in May when we walked and I was concerned about a shortage of beds. We were pushing 60 so decided to make it less stressful. Glad we did but not the same experience.
Then in 2019 I walked the Frances solo from SJPP but booked ahead with an app. I was most shocked by the changes in Foncebaden which was tumble down in 2012 and booming in 2019!! Made me a little wistful for the simpler days. Didn’t make it to Santiago but ended in Sarria 28 days but I was physically injured and had to stop.
I have not recovered from that walk and may need surgery but I don’t give up the dream of walking again.

Now we are still writing about our experiences. Go to Pilgrimage section of my website: https://majesterium.com if you want to see our blogs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Since 2004 I have walked the Camino Frances every year through 2014.
Subsequently providing information about the Camino became an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing blogs for curious readers.

Since November 2009 participating in this unique Forum has been part of my daily life and providing practical on-line responses for questioners, both novice and veteran has become a distinct pleasure. When asked about the Camino answering what I know to be so is a personal obligation. Such mutual sharing is a large part of the unique camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it keeps my memories current while recalling past journeys anew.

Nevertheless I share the current unease and fear of losing the special spirit of the camino where pilgrims are simply grateful for what they find to a new callous demand for what large crowds might consider to be their rightful due. These are intense concerns regarding the immediate future along this beloved path.

Thankfully the strong old camino traditions still do remain. Many, many local people sincerely wish pilgrims "Buen camino" as we walk through their villages. Shopkeepers and hospitaleros seem pleased to see us. Most importantly the religious traditions continue to be meaningful and consistent.

May all of us who walk, have walked and dream of walking continue to share and help each other as pilgrims before us have for centuries and hopefully will continue to do so forevermore.

I am always thinking of walking again, but I also wonder if it will be the same after all this.
Only time will tell, if the words virus, variants and vaccines have far less relevance in 2022 I believe quite a few of the Camino routes will be very busy seeing as so many of us have been on hold for a couple of years.
I am grateful for this forum because I have learned of so many different routes and if you want a quieter road it can still be found. Obviously the closer you get to Santiago the harder it becomes. I also think supply and demand will give accomodation the majority of the time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
CF year 2001 with my son 14 years old. Roncesvalles to Santiago.

Last edited:
Since 2004 I have walked the Camino Frances every year through 2014.
Subsequently providing information about the Camino became an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing blogs for curious readers.

Since November 2009 participating in this unique Forum has been part of my daily life and providing practical on-line responses for questioners, both novice and veteran has become a distinct pleasure. When asked about the Camino answering what I know to be so is a personal obligation. Such mutual sharing is a large part of the unique camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it keeps my memories current while recalling past journeys anew.

Nevertheless I share the current unease and fear of losing the special spirit of the camino where pilgrims are simply grateful for what they find to a new callous demand for what large crowds might consider to be their rightful due. These are intense concerns regarding the immediate future along this beloved path.

Thankfully the strong old camino traditions still do remain. Many, many local people sincerely wish pilgrims "Buen camino" as we walk through their villages. Shopkeepers and hospitaleros seem pleased to see us. Most importantly the religious traditions continue to be meaningful and consistent.

May all of us who walk, have walked and dream of walking continue to share and help each other as pilgrims before us have for centuries and hopefully will continue to do so forevermore.
Margaret,
Your words of wisdom and kind, encouraging spirit have been a blessing for us pilgrims for lo, these many years. I think I can speak for many pilgrims when I say that we are so grateful and honored by your presence on this forum. More than once you have helped me through a difficult pass on the Camino—emotionally, mentally, spiritually.
There are many here for whom I am so grateful who take this responsibility to help other pilgrims very seriously. Margaret is correct in saying that this is such an important piece of demonstrating the pilgrim spirit.
Bless you, wise pilgrims!

First Camino was with my mother in 2005. Met her in Leon. She came back after and her Breast Cancer came back too. She died in 2008 (58 YO).

Second Camino was with my sister in 2009 who never got to experience it with my mom. It was sort of a tribute.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First attempt 1967 from Lleida, as a very young child, failed due to the raging trots and sickness not far past Canfranc. That event gave me the walking bug (as well as the trots bug). A friend and I walked from Valencia in 98 of which I remember little, except the kindness of the people in villages making sure we ate and got somewhere to sleep and no Pilgrim passport. Then I did the CF in 2017 by myself. Vowing never, ever to repeat the event.

Of course I am now planning my next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad @Damien Reynolds, that you walked with your mother when you did. An opportunity not missed. And lovely that you and your sister also chose to walk together.

We never know what awaits us. I am so thankful for every camino I have walked. If the chance comes again, I shall take it.

Before the renovations started on the cathedral, thank goodness.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2019:- Camino Portugues, coastal route.
Had to cancel our 2020 fully booked camino, due to covid pandemic.
Probably won't be able to do a camino until 2022/2023, depending on when the Australian Govt.open our borders and we can travel again...soon, we hope.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.