• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

When would be a good time of year for the Ingles?

Having done the Frances and the Portugues (and having started the Plata as a long term project), I am now thinking about doing the Ingles in 2010. When would be a good time of year to do this? My birthday is July 25, so my boyfriend suggested trying to arrive in Santiago on the same day as saint's feast day, but I imagine that Santiago would be even more of a zoo than it normally is in the summer (still, it would be a neat thing to do on my birthday). I know that I can download an updated guide before take off and that I can also download some topos from mundicamino, however, has anyone yet published a nice guidebook with all of this info in one place? I used the Brierley guide for the Camino Portuguese and found it very helpful.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Hi Nicole,
I walked the Camino Ingles in late June and used the CSJ guide and the profile maps from Mundicamino and together they made a very adequate guidebook. We did not meet a single pilgrim on the route - not even a cyclist - so perhaps it won't be as busy as you think!
I think it would be lovely for you to walk into Santiago on your birthday - Sant'Iago's feast day! Just book a bed ahead of time so that you have somewhere to stay.
The Ingles route is similar to the route from Sarria in that you walk through lots of foressted areas, small villages and subsistence farmland. By 2010 there should be a couple of extra albergues to stay in as well.

Well, we have decided to go for the plunge and try to arrive in Santiago on July 24th and stay the night of the 25th as well (so we can attend the mass on the 25th). We've got a hotel booked ( a nice one)! I'm so excited! The Ingles sounds like a nice route and this seems a super way to spend my birthday! I will have to bring some candles for my torta de santiago!!! Just be be on the safe side, I will pre-book accomodation along the route.