• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When you have to stop, and the lessons.

Kaiso

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
I started my Camino on May 11th in Pamploma. It was going great and was such a great experience, education, and overall wonderful introduction to what the Camino can be. Unfortunately, I injured myself and chose to stop in León. This started the day I was heading to San Juan de Ortega. I had no albergue booked, and in my ignorance, I feared I'd find none and be sleeping the night on the street. To ensure a bed I rushed the section. The next day I could feel the shin splints coming in my left leg. By Burgos, I was limping and chose to take a rest day there. The leg feeling somewhat better after that, I chose to press on, while shipping my backpack with Correos to ease the burden. (though not overly heavy, I carried too much) At any rate, each day started fine but at the end of the section, the leg was slightly worse than the day before. Icing did wonders, as did the medical patch recommended by the Farmicia. Unfortunately, I missed the warning that the patch made skin overly sensitive to sunlight. I was walking in shorts. Pretty soon the affected area was sunburnt, bright red, and eventually pealing. It made it look a lot worse than it was. At any rate, I decided not to risk real damage and would continue on only to León where I would end my trek. From Burgos to León, so many people were kind, helpful, and caring. Several albergues had ice packs that they lent me, and other pilgrims shared knowledge and first aid supplies. stopping was a hard decision to make. I had to let go of several wonderful and entertaining friends who continued on. 5 days later when I boarded my plane for the US, the leg was much better. I wondered if I was too hasty, but a friend pointed out, "yeah, 5 days of rest and no weight. What happens when you start climbing hills again with a backpack." A valid point. Especially since it looks like a lot of hills just after León. All the medical references say 2+ weeks for recovery. I still can feel the pulling in the leg so I know I'm not over it. But there is a bright side, I now have a reason to return to that wonderful country to finish the second half.

Thanks to all on this forum who helped me prepare and gave advice.
Buen Camino.
Nicholas

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bad luck, but so good that you look at the bright side -you will be back :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started my Camino on May 11th in Pamploma. It was going great and was such a great experience, education, and overall wonderful introduction to what the Camino can be. Unfortunately, I injured myself and chose to stop in León. This started the day I was heading to San Juan de Ortega. I had no albergue booked, and in my ignorance, I feared I'd find none and be sleeping the night on the street. To ensure a bed I rushed the section. The next day I could feel the shin splints coming in my left leg. By Burgos, I was limping and chose to take a rest day there. The leg feeling somewhat better after that, I chose to press on, while shipping my backpack with Correos to ease the burden. (though not overly heavy, I carried too much) At any rate, each day started fine but at the end of the section, the leg was slightly worse than the day before. Icing did wonders, as did the medical patch recommended by the Farmicia. Unfortunately, I missed the warning that the patch made skin overly sensitive to sunlight. I was walking in shorts. Pretty soon the affected area was sunburnt, bright red, and eventually pealing. It made it look a lot worse than it was. At any rate, I decided not to risk real damage and would continue on only to León where I would end my trek. From Burgos to León, so many people were kind, helpful, and caring. Several albergues had ice packs that they lent me, and other pilgrims shared knowledge and first aid supplies. stopping was a hard decision to make. I had to let go of several wonderful and entertaining friends who continued on. 5 days later when I boarded my plane for the US, the leg was much better. I wondered if I was too hasty, but a friend pointed out, "yeah, 5 days of rest and no weight. What happens when you start climbing hills again with a backpack." A valid point. Especially since it looks like a lot of hills just after León. All the medical references say 2+ weeks for recovery. I still can feel the pulling in the leg so I know I'm not over it. But there is a bright side, I now have a reason to return to that wonderful country to finish the second half.

Buen Camino.
Nicholas
Sounds very familiar to me, because I had a similar experience last year on the Norte, except that I wasn't smart enough to rest or send my pack forward.
I had to stop walking just 120 km from Santiago.
But now I'm back on the Norte after walking the Frances to León then the Salvador to Oviedo. And keeping my fingers crossed that I make it to Santiago this time!
And @Kaiso - did I meet you in San Nicolás del Real Camino? Your story sounds familiar.

Buen Camino.
Nicholas
If you got your credencial stamped in León (where you stopped) and you keep it and bring it back with you, you can resume in León when you start again. Just be sure to get it stamped in León again (or wherever the last stamp was). Lots of pilgrims spread their Camino out over several trips.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino.
Nicholas

Save your credencial. When you return, start in Leon, you can still claim credit for doing the entire route, even if it takes you multiple trips to do so. Many Europeans accomplish the loigner Caminos this way.

Stopping is no problem. Interrupting and segmenting a Camino is no problem. However, having the wisdom to know when to stop is the big thing here and is the takeaway, IMHO.

You will be back.

I left the Camino in Astorga, having developed sciatica just outside of Fromista. I was treated in Leon, and they said I could walk after a couple of rest days. My pain had increased about every day, and even with treatment, meds, and sending my pack ahead, it was incredibly painful and difficult.

My brother and I were going to do the San Salvador and Primitivo from Leon. He did the San Salvador and I continued to Astorga on the Frances. But going further was just not going to work.

I too experienced much kindness as I hobbled along. I wanted to tough it out, as my brother had been so looking forward to the Primitivo (I knew I couldn't do that, but maybe could continue to hobble along the Frances). When my brother suggested that we just go home, the waves of relief I felt were amazing.

A big part of the kindness I received was from you all on this forum when I asked how/where to get medical help in Leon. By that time my Camino family had all moved on, and I felt that you were now my Camino family.

I do not regret leaving. It was the right thing to do, I am finally pretty much healed now. But I'll always be grateful for the kindness and help that I experienced.

Buen Camino.
Nicholas

Cute cat in your avatar picture!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds very familiar to me, because I had a similar experience last year on the Norte, except that I wasn't smart enough to rest or send my pack forward.
I had to stop walking just 120 km from Santiago.
But now I'm back on the Norte after walking the Frances to León then the Salvador to Oviedo. And keeping my fingers crossed that I make it to Santiago this time!
And @Kaiso - did I meet you in San Nicolás del Real Camino? Your story sounds familiar.

Your story also sounds familiar. Similar to that of the pilgrim in San Nicolás who regaled the dinner table with humorous tales of a certain Irishman. That was one of the better meals, and with a great group. Vegetarian options and a lot of humor. If I recall, you completed 7/8th of the Norte last time around? Best of luck on the final 1/8th.

Your story also sounds familiar. Similar to that of the pilgrim in San Nicolás who regaled the dinner table with humorous tales of a certain Irishman. That was one of the better meals, and with a great group. Vegetarian options and a lot of humor. If I recall, you completed 7/8th of the Norte last time around? Best of luck on the final 1/8th.
Thanks.
Yes, that was a good dinner, and I was happy to have other English speakers to converse with. And fortunately, I never ran into that certain Irishman again. 😊

I have not done the Camino yet, but after following this board for a year, I am not worried about the bed race and “no room in the inn.” Sometimes our inner fears cause us to do things that aren't really necessary. If we walk as far as we plan to walk for the day and there is no bed, we can always get a ride to somewhere that has a bed and leave from there in the morning or get a ride back to where we stopped. Pushing ourselves to walk faster or farther than we are comfortable is a recipe for injury, and it really isn't necessary.

I am not writing this to be critical of Kaiso at all. I just want to remind people that there are many options. Things will work out in the end. We just need to be flexible, think about our options and ask for help if we can't figure out a solution on our own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was devastated in 2016, when after much deliberation and even more tears, infected blisters resulted in me having to bus ahead from Estella to Logrono and eventually Burgos. I had a deadline and even if I wasn't able to walk I had to keep moving forward as I was meeting my sister on a fixed date in Madrid.
Before I left home I had been adamant that I would walk all the way from SJPDP to SDC, so to realise this would not be the case hit me hard.
I learnt the most important lesson is to listen to your body. Do similar and you'll be fine.
I return to SJPDP in September for a do over, it's unfinished business, so this time I've built in more time away, just in case and have no plans to meet anyone.
Buen Camino

Hola - Shin splints are the bane of many a pilgrim. You know that old proverb - act in haste repent in (pain) leisure . Well now you know what you did wrong. For new or intending pilgrims the section from Belorado to Burgos is one (that imho) needs to be treated with some caution. Back in 2017 we had a long day Santo Domingo to Tosantos but then had two shorted days stopping at Atapuerca and then into Burgos with a days rest in Burgos. Now to get back to your problem - may I suggest that you should have sought professional help in Burgos and even had two days rest before tackling the Meseta, with a short day to Rabe de las Calzadas.

I know the above does not really improve your "defeated" feeling now you are home but I had a similar experience with my first camino in 2013 - mine finished after 6 days with the doctor at Salamanca University Hospital telling me I had real nerve damage behind the middle toes of the left foot. It took some 18 months before it felt near normal.
So yes you are "p*ss-off" but the camino has been there for a 1000 years and will still be there when you return - and start again from Leon and this time follow our friend the tortoise - but if you give yourself enough time you can continue to Muxia and see the Atlantic. Best of luck. M

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back