• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino When your Camino doesn't go 'as planned'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate
What did the feet choose, the wine or cafe con leche ?
You've still got your sense of humour. ! Good on you !
But what a bummer ! Eh?
OzAnnie

Does this answer your question?

"
.. wine a part of a healthy diet, and advocated its use as a disinfectant for wounds ..."

Thanks Wikipedia for clarifying that. So if I drink it, it will disinfect my feet as well

;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kat - I hate to think of you being there alone (even with wine, go faster wheels and Mcdreamy) - google maps say I'm about 7 hours drive from you and I'm almost tempted to get in the car and whisk you away to France.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the feet heal and you can continue... either that or Mcdreamy at least takes you out for spin :cool:

Last edited:
Kat - I hate to think of you being there alone (even with wine, go faster wheels and Mcdreamy) - google maps say I'm about 7 hours drive from you and I'm almost tempted to get in the car and whisk you away to France.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the feet heal and you can continue... either that or Mcdreamy at least takes you out for spin :cool:

LesBrass go pick her up!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kay. I hope you are getting better. You posts have helped my prep. I do worry about my feet as I haven't settled into a good walking routine yet and already wore out the first pair of shoes which were too small. Good news is my favourite socks were on special yesterday so I bought 4 pairs with the intention of having a fresh pair for mid morning.
On old mate of mine used to say no battle plan survives contact with the enemy so just take it as it comes and the future will reveal itself in due course. Best wishes John. (9 weeks to go)

Hi everyone,

Live from Leon. I will precursor this by saying this is a very sensitive topic to write about or share. For me at least.

Well my Camino has certainly taken many twists and turns so far. As is to be expected. With that comes many lessons also.

I now find myself in Leon. In a cheapish hotel near the river, contemplating the next chapter of my Camino. A second visit to a medical centre since my trip started, the first being for a sprained ankle. This time, after a 27km+ walk on my birthday no less, I find that I have a very bad infection and currently am unable to walk. Literally. I have two massive bandages around both feet, the result of not listening to my body and trying to walk through the pain.

I have been called everything from a taxigreno to a hotelgreno and all in between. Luckily most have been gentle with me at the times I have been most hard and cruel to myself. I have been advised that I am not allowed to walk at all for four days and will have to get my bandages changed daily by a doctor and my wounds seen to. My feet look like a horror film.

Which brings me to this. My new Camino. It's going to be markedly different from the one I was on. I may not reach Santiago in time before my flight leaves now. It's financially not possible for me to change my flights back to Australia. It leaves me with a huge dilemma of what is important....the walk or getting to Santiago. I have sadly missed much of the Meseta which was so important for me to do.

I have been lectured by a French zealot at a private hostal on doing it the right way and that clearly I haven't been.

So this post is just a gentle reminder to all who we see on the path that we each have our own challenges. Some may have none, others many.

A beautiful Camino friend shared with me recently her favourite Kafka quote. I think this sums it up aptly

"We are as forlorn as children lost in the woods. When you stand in front of me and look at me, what do you know of the griefs that are in me and what do I know of yours. And if I were to cast myself down before you and weep and tell you, what more would you know about me than you know about Hell when someone tells you it is hot and dreadful? For that reason alone we human beings ought to stand before one another as reverently, as reflectively, as lovingly, as we would before the entrance to Hell."

Thank you for allowing me to share.
Katrina xo
Katrina,
40 kms out from Santiago I was debilitated by tendinitis. My arrival in Santiago was not by foot to the Cathedral, but rather via taxi to the emergency clinic and then to a lovely 3 star hotel across the street from the Peregrino Office. It was not how I imagined arriving in Santiago, and that said, I wouldn't change a thing! It was all perfection and furthered my education by providing exercises in grace, acceptance and faith. And with two Italians by my side as I hobbled Santiago over the next few days only enhanced the experience as they would each take an arm as I ascended or descended steps, and at one point fireman carrying me through the cobble stoned streets at the end of a day.

Wishing you all the best on your camino, whether you are resting in a hotel room or getting transportation to Santiago, this is your camino and the moments are all yours to embrace.

buen camino,
Elizabeth

Is it Ozzy Osborne that has smilie-tattoos on his legs to cheer him up every morning? You do the same thing and paint some happy faces on those bandages!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been wondering how best to respond to all your posts, to find the right words to do your kindness justice. I don't think one can truly appreciate the impact ones written word has. It can destroy or bring life. Yours brought me hope, laughter and at times made me wonder who you were writing about as I don't relate to the person you are describing. Am not being coy, but I am far from brave and courageous. I have merely had some crappy luck on a journey I am pretty privileged to take.

I have had a really tough few days, with my insurance company pushing every button. I have lost it several times and being here alone and with limited mobility has really challenged me. I even went flying off a wheelchair ramp into a glass partition as my hands slipped and I ended up on the floor. I now sport bruises. And a bruised ego.

I still am unsure as to what will unfold. Two doctors has said explicitly I am not to walk the Camino and a third said it might be ok. I have a few days more of treatment left.

So thanks for keeping my spirit afloat. It has been to some very dark places indeed but checking in on the forum has helped me to keep going.

And because Al the Optimist is suffering feet withdrawals here I am currently watching bad TV! View attachment 11414
I can understand the insurance crap as I went through the whole nine yards with them, luckily I had my wife at home who did all the work it took a lot of worries but I had a great doctor here at home and in Spain but once they accepted responsibility it was all okay. As I say I had no worries I was in hospital but my wife did a great job. She is not happy that I am going back in 6 weeks but I have to take a phone this time only had an ipad which was good till things went belly up. the time difference between Spain and Australia was a killer but its all ok now just counting down the days. All the best

Hey Kat. ..

Your Camino twin here again.

Firstly. ..I was as also missing the "feet view" photos. Thank you for posting them. :)

I have been thinking alot about you and praying for you.
You have reminded me of the lessons I learnt after my injury. Lessons. Lessons I had not realised were slipping away. At the time of your first post...I had been working three weeks in a row. I was exhausted. So much for slowing down.
So..I took three days off and slept for two of them.
I have made changes....taken on less work....went for a walk. Found my bliss again.

Kat...I think you are brave because you are talking to us....your "words" have spoken to me...to newbies planning there first Camino and Veterans. Thats pretty powerful stuff.

Kia Kaha. ...stay strong pilgram.
We are right beside you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OzAnnie

Does this answer your question?

"
.. wine a part of a healthy diet, and advocated its use as a disinfectant for wounds ..."

Thanks Wikipedia for clarifying that. So if I drink it, it will disinfect my feet as well

;)
Quite right, I use Jameson for the same purpose. Great to see you getting better Kat.

Hi Kat! So sorry, I haven't been on the forum much recently so missed this post until now - what marvellous responses you have received. Would be pleasant to have a world map and put a pin on it for each warm and loving reply.

So - I want to be supportive but I have to start with saying that you are wrong! You are wrong about yourself and wrong in thinking that you have failed your pilgrimage! This IS your pilgrimage!!

Sure, there are some arrogant unfeeling camino sociopaths who attack you and call you names - but this is what custard pies are for! One of the 'problems' with the camino is that intelligent and kind people are full of doubts and stupid and unkind people are full of certainty -

You wrote "
I have a lot of thinking to do the next few days as I need my infection treated daily. My heart is breaking as I write this. I wanted more than anything to walk this Camino, to free myself and find myself. There is much reflection to be had. And a huge part of me needs to forgive myself. I hope I can do that. At this very moment I am finding it hard to do so. I feel I have failed on so many levels."

Sorry Kat, but you are so in error here - you have not failed, you have endured. Ok, so you had a pleasant picture of how your camino would be, that doing it 'properly' would somehow cancel out your feelings of failure and grief and loss that you were suffering (as you wrote about in your first post on here), and the reality didn't fit that, so you think that you have failed - but you haven't failed - this is your camino, this is your pilgrimage. And, no matter how painful it has been it is a blessed pilgrimage, and it is still in process. Your error is in thinking that because your camino is different to the one you created in your head and expected to do that you are useless - how silly you are! What you are unhappy about is really only that the real pilgrimage is different from the imagined pilgrimage.

Were you to look at yourself from the eyes of another you might see things differently. When you finally stopped, with your poisoned feet in shreds, you had walked to that point - you had walked on those feet (yes, you know now, really stupid thing to do!) - I cannot imagine how painful each step must have been (well, I can imagine but would prefer not to - ouch!) ... yet there you were, hobbling along, in awful pain ...... and you call that failure?????????

The camino you have undertaken is an internal one, the body responses being an integral part of that, and it is going well, Kat. Painful, yes, but it is going well - it might seem strange to say it - but it is going well.

So, be kind to yourself. Let your thoughts and introspection go where they will, eat cake, flirt with the doctor - and absolutely keep posting photos!!

All is Well Kat - however it may appear, All is Always Well.

Buen Camino!

p.s. the bath photo - nice tan!
p.p.s. thank you for sharing who you are on here, open, kind, honest, and brave - a real pilgrim. We need the full spectrum of experiences on here, and you are a part of that. xx
p.p.p.s A belated Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
The Green hat is in Leon! Hope you're feeling better already Kat! Take care! Lots of hugs! (To day, I also wear a very Green longsleaved blouse (?).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Kat! So sorry, I haven't been on the forum much recently so missed this post until now - what marvellous responses you have received. Would be pleasant to have a world map and put a pin on it for each warm and loving reply.

So - I want to be supportive but I have to start with saying that you are wrong! You are wrong about yourself and wrong in thinking that you have failed your pilgrimage! This IS your pilgrimage!!

Sure, there are some arrogant unfeeling camino sociopaths who attack you and call you names - but this is what custard pies are for! One of the 'problems' with the camino is that intelligent and kind people are full of doubts and stupid and unkind people are full of certainty -

You wrote "
I have a lot of thinking to do the next few days as I need my infection treated daily. My heart is breaking as I write this. I wanted more than anything to walk this Camino, to free myself and find myself. There is much reflection to be had. And a huge part of me needs to forgive myself. I hope I can do that. At this very moment I am finding it hard to do so. I feel I have failed on so many levels."

Sorry Kat, but you are so in error here - you have not failed, you have endured. Ok, so you had a pleasant picture of how your camino would be, that doing it 'properly' would somehow cancel out your feelings of failure and grief and loss that you were suffering (as you wrote about in your first post on here), and the reality didn't fit that, so you think that you have failed - but you haven't failed - this is your camino, this is your pilgrimage. And, no matter how painful it has been it is a blessed pilgrimage, and it is still in process. Your error is in thinking that because your camino is different to the one you created in your head and expected to do that you are useless - how silly you are! What you are unhappy about is really only that the real pilgrimage is different from the imagined pilgrimage.

Were you to look at yourself from the eyes of another you might see things differently. When you finally stopped, with your poisoned feet in shreds, you had walked to that point - you had walked on those feet (yes, you know now, really stupid thing to do!) - I cannot imagine how painful each step must have been (well, I can imagine but would prefer not to - ouch!) ... yet there you were, hobbling along, in awful pain ...... and you call that failure?????????

The camino you have undertaken is an internal one, the body responses being an integral part of that, and it is going well, Kat. Painful, yes, but it is going well - it might seem strange to say it - but it is going well.

So, be kind to yourself. Let your thoughts and introspection go where they will, eat cake, flirt with the doctor - and absolutely keep posting photos!!

All is Well Kat - however it may appear, All is Always Well.

Buen Camino!

p.s. the bath photo - nice tan!
p.p.s. thank you for sharing who you are on here, open, kind, honest, and brave - a real pilgrim. We need the full spectrum of experiences on here, and you are a part of that. xx
p.p.p.s A belated Happy Birthday!
The heavens opened up and poured down my cheeks just now.

The physical pain was debilitating honestly. Each step arduous. But nothing like the internal pain I have inflicted upon myself. I am suffering from Camino envy. Embarrassingly so.

But as Gloria Gaynor sang "oh no not I. I will survive."

I should change my nickname to cheesyKat ;)
Xox

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kat -- OUCH !!!

---

I would seriously consider accepting Rebekah's kind offer in your -- hrm -- shoes :p ; though I've yet to meet Rebekah and Pat IRL, as far as hospitaleros, they are the absolute real deal !!

hmmmmmm -- couple of thoughts from my "purist" perspective (though I gave up being a "camino zealot" 20 years ago hehehe)

---

hrm, first no I don't think your Camino is ended ; how it will proceed and finish is something you still need to discover, but : you are still on the Way ; remember that :)

second ; you may have a technical problem with your footwear --- one of the best protections against infected blisters is actually just plain old 100% woollen socks ; they're nearly as good as proper medical bandages for liquid absorption, AND they help protect the skin from abrasion from the inside of the shoes too -- YES they do need to be VERY carefully removed, and VERY carefully cleaned (making sure they are well cleansed by lengthy rinsing with clean water of all blood and sweat and cleaning products) -- though really, it's the leathering up of the skin of your feet by extensive hiking that provides the only true long-term protection...

the other technical problem may be that you might need shoes one european size half US/UK size bigger than the ones you have ; feet swell during hiking, and having shoes/boots that are too small is one of the most frequent causes of blistering

otherwise, heck, from the "purist" point of view those people were completely wrong to call you those names !!! I've myself carried the pack of someone with too sprained an ankle to carry anything heavier than her clothes, while my friends helped her limp along ; I've strongly advised more than one person to send their packs ahead by transport service, when it was clear that they were simply torturing themselves by trying to do things "properly" ; and although I'd tend to frown on it in general personally, there are obviously going to be cases where motorised travel becomes necessary (been there ; done that), and indeed circumstances will tend to put nearly every "true pilgrim" under the sun into such transport ...

The "purist" way to deal with such difficulties is to simply stop, wait, rest, then carry on -- but of course the "purist" way does not include thinking that one's arrival date in Santiago nor anywhere else is even predictable in the first place !! LOL -- so from my "purist" POV I'd say your single mistake was that one -- errare humanum est and &c though anyway, so that's given in a spirit of advice for the future, not blame for the past :)

Stopping somewhere then carrying on from somewhere else is something I've done ; carrying on to however far you can get then returning at a later date to finish the Camino is something that many do ; but really I'd advise you to simply follow the pathway that is actually laid before you, rather than limiting yourself to the more obvious solutions ; though I must say, it is rather a shame about your flight date not being changeable -- do try and keep on negociating with your Insurance and travel companies !!

(erm, one "purist" option mentioned by nobody would involve giving up on that flight, and simply letting the Camino take precedence, but I obviously cannot seriously suggest that except in parenthesis and as it were adverbially)

Otherwise, as a "purist", I can but heartily applaud your good cheer and continuing optimism, which are of course prime qualities for any "true pilgrim" -- and in my book, that's exactly what you are -- OK, your Camino baptism is somewhat off the beaten path, but NOBODY can become a "true pilgrim" except through the experience of whichever abject failure ; and it is through failure that the hiker is transformed in the Camino into a pilgrim

Ultreia, Kat, e Sus Eia -- and you'll see ; this will only make you stronger

good cheer, and make the most of your rest !!!!

Last edited:
Kat -- OUCH !!!

---

I would seriously consider accepting Rebekah's kind offer in your -- hrm -- shoes :p ; though I've yet to meet Rebekah and Pat IRL, as far as hospitaleros, they are the absolute real deal !!

hmmmmmm -- couple of thoughts from my "purist" perspective (though I gave up being a "camino zealot" 20 years ago hehehe)

---

hrm, first no I don't think your Camino is ended ; how it will proceed and finish is something you still need to discover, but : you are still on the Way ; remember that :)

second ; you may have a technical problem with your footwear --- one of the best protections against infected blisters is actually just plain old 100% woollen socks ; they're nearly as good as proper medical bandages for liquid absorption, AND they help protect the skin from abrasion from the inside of the shoes too -- YES they do need to be VERY carefully removed, and VERY carefully cleaned (making sure they are well cleansed by lengthy rinsing with clean water of all blood and sweat and cleaning products) -- though really, it's the leathering up of the skin of your feet by extensive hiking that provides the only true long-term protection...

the other technical problem may be that you might need shoes one european size half US/UK size bigger than the ones you have ; feet swell during hiking, and having shoes/boots that are too small is one of the most frequent causes of blistering

otherwise, heck, from the "purist" point of view those people were completely wrong to call you those names !!! I've myself carried the pack of someone with too sprained an ankle to carry anything heavier than her clothes, while my friends helped her limp along ; I've strongly advised more than one person to send their packs ahead by transport service, when it was clear that they were simply torturing themselves by trying to do things "properly" ; and although I'd tend to frown on it in general personally, there are obviously going to be cases where motorised travel becomes necessary (been there ; done that), and indeed circumstances will tend to put nearly every "true pilgrim" under the sun into such transport ...

The "purist" way to deal with such difficulties is to simply stop, wait, rest, then carry on -- but of course the "purist" way does not include thinking that one's arrival date in Santiago nor anywhere else is even predictable in the first place !! LOL -- so from my "purist" POV I'd say your single mistake was that one -- errare humanum est and &c though anyway, so that's given in a spirit of advice for the future, not blame for the past :)

Stopping somewhere then carrying on from somewhere else is something I've done ; carrying on to however far you can get then returning at a later date to finish the Camino is something that many do ; but really I'd advise you to simply follow the pathway that is actually laid before you, rather than limiting yourself to the more obvious solutions ; though I must say, it is rather a shame about your flight date not being changeable -- do try and keep on negociating with your Insurance and travel companies !!

(erm, one "purist" option mentioned by nobody would involve giving up on that flight, and simply letting the Camino take precedence, but I obviously cannot seriously suggest that except in parenthesis and as it were adverbially)

Otherwise, as a "purist", I can but heartily applaud your good cheer and continuing optimism, which are of course prime qualities for any "true pilgrim" -- and in my book, that's exactly what you are -- OK, your Camino baptism is somewhat off the beaten path, but NOBODY can become a "true pilgrim" except through the experience of whichever abject failure ; and it is through failure that the hiker is transformed in the Camino into a pilgrim

Ultreia, Kat, e Sus Eia -- and you'll see ; this will only make you stronger

good cheer, and make the most of your rest !!!!
It was totally my fault. I sprained my ankle and stopped only for a day....hobbling meant I got blisters on my other foot....and this is where it all unravelled. Oh I saw the signs but stupidly ignored them. I cleaned and disinfected and all the rest when really I should have not been walking. It's called blatant stupidity.

Everything else was in place except logic :(

It was totally my fault. I sprained my ankle and stopped only for a day....hobbling meant I got blisters on my other foot....and this is where it all unravelled. Oh I saw the signs but stupidly ignored them. I cleaned and disinfected and all the rest when really I should have not been walking. It's called blatant stupidity.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. As my grandmother used to tell me "That's why they put erasers on pencils".

(I can be cheesy too!) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

hmmmm, pretty much every day on the Camino you see people making their blisters worse by trying to disinfect them and basically well just fussing over them

OK for some people that procedure certainly works, but for others the only real solution is to pierce them, air them, and do everything possible to dry them out, including letting the skin die, or even letting a bare patch of tender new skin underneath become one's walking surface with all the pain that comes by doing so ...

having said that, men have naturally thicker skin than women, so the "macho" solution will necessarily be less effective for the ladies ...

but just resting with your feet in the open air, without fussing over the blisters except to quickly pierce them, preferably in hot sunlight (though keep your head in the shade and cool drinks at hand !!!), to dry out your blisters naturally is generally a good tactic ; also walking barefoot in the evening, including on top of blisters !!!

The feet do eventually get the message and start growing extra levels of skin, but the start of that whole procedure is as painful as you are experiencing right now ...

-----

hmmmm, sounds like you need either a staff or some poles ; a very light wooden staff is perhaps better than poles if your walking has been imbalanced as you seem to be suggesting ... it should be as tall as the distance from the ground to your armpit ; use it on whichever side has been causing you the more pain -- most people find the poles to be better, but if you need to protect one leg more than the other, or one leg is more damaged than the other, or one leg even slightly longer than the other, then the staff is IMO recommendable

hmmmm, pretty much every day on the Camino you see people making their blisters worse by trying to disinfect them and basically well just fussing over them

OK for some people that procedure certainly works, but for others the only real solution is to pierce them, air them, and do everything possible to dry them out, including letting the skin die, or even letting a bare patch of tender new skin underneath become one's walking surface with all the pain that comes by doing so ...

having said that, men have naturally thicker skin than women, so the "macho" solution will necessarily be less effective for the ladies ...

but just resting with your feet in the open air, without fussing over the blisters except to quickly pierce them, preferably in hot sunlight (though keep your head in the shade and cool drinks at hand !!!), to dry out your blisters naturally is generally a good tactic ; also walking barefoot in the evening, including on top of blisters !!!

The feet do eventually get the message and start growing extra levels of skin, but the start of that whole procedure is as painful as you are experiencing right now ...

-----

hmmmm, sounds like you need either a staff or some poles ; a very light wooden staff is perhaps better than poles if your walking has been imbalanced as you seem to be suggesting ... it should be as tall as the distance from the ground to your armpit ; use it on whichever side has been causing you the more pain -- most people find the poles to be better, but if you need to protect one leg more than the other, or one leg is more damaged than the other, or one leg even slightly longer than the other, then the staff is IMO recommendable
I had walking poles too. The right shoes, etc

I walked without piercing some, others I pierced. The doctors have told me you shouldn't pierce them mostly. I walked through excruciating pain thinking thyey would harden up.

The point is I followed the yellow arrows but didn't follow the signs my body was telling me. I didn't love myself enough and my pride about wanting to finish got in the way of my health and wellbeing.

After another hospital visit am pleased to report it's getting better but walking the Camino is definitely out of the question this time around. I need to be treated in Leon till Friday then the plan is to go to Santiago and maybe Finisterre and lick my wounds. I don't want to plan ahead really. This journey now is very solitary but I guess that is how it is meant to be.

Thanks for the continued support and blessings xo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... and lick my wounds.

Hiya, Kat!

Sounds like you are feeling a bit "broken". Quite understandable under the circumstances. There is a positive way to look at this, you know. I am thinking of this little gem from the great Leonard Cohen:

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Rest up, heal up and listen with your heart while you do.

Buen Camino, Peregrina!

B

Oh Katrina, I am with you! My son got horrible strep in Bilbao. ER visit and hotel stay. I blew out my MCL before Oviedo. Done. But we got ourselves to SdC, cried and prayed. Now we are in France, miraculously close to the Chemin de Puy. Damn those who have mocked you! Rest. Heal. The path will be here another 1000 years. I step upon it daily, say my prayers, and retreat. It is in your heart, not on a map. Paix de Christ.

Heading westward on the norte

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Then I'd seriously consider a staff instead next time round -- the poles are better for most pilgrims, but you might be one of those few for whom the staff is tops

Then I'd seriously consider a staff instead next time round -- the poles are better for most pilgrims, but you might be one of those few for whom the staff is tops
Seriously it was my brain and ego that was at fault. Not the equipment.

As nice as it would be to apportion blame to something on than my intellect, or lack of, sadly I can't

Quite simply it was me and no other reason.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kat,
Firstly, we hope you are finally feeling a bit better and your spirits are positive again. We are a couple of mature age Aussies from Queensland who are about to commence our first Camino. Without realising it, you have been a great help to us. We have planned the entire journey from SJPDP but now realise that all plans must be kept flexible. It seems that the Camino is much like life, where unexpected things can happen and force you to re-evaluate just where you were headed. Here in Australia, we can only dream about being in Spain. YOU ARE ACTUALLY THERE !!!! OK, so your Camino is not the way you dreamed it would be, but you have seen things and been to places that you would not have been to if you had stayed at home. The support you have received from fellow peregrinos has been quite outstanding. Truly, it is the spirit of the Camino in action.

We have now realised the importance of listening to our bodies, and have decided that if we need to taxi a day here and there to allow our bodies to recover, then SO BE IT. Even "taxigrenos" are pilgrims. We will do the Camino our way. Better that than staying at home and just dreaming about being there.

We wish you all the best in your recovery and hope that fate will allow you to return, once recovered, to continue your journey. Buen Camino

California greetings to you -
It appears that your experience of the camino is one of those that perhaps will be understood better in hindsight - but it also seems (as viewed from across the continents) that you are on the mend and that much contemplation has occurred (along w/ rest, visits @ cute doctors, bad TV, bubbles and yummy caffe’ and sweets :)
best wishes for a continued inner and outer journey and complete healing of your precious feet!! You will/may find that the camino will shape you in ways one simply can’t foresee....and it does so even if you remain seated until your return flight.
You had the intention for the pilgrimage ... you got there! ... and will return, god willing - The camino isn’t going anywhere :)
and you shall return with much greater inner listening skills and respect for the clues of your body! and most likely will follow those clues, promptings and warnings!

There was something I learned/noticed on the caminho ...and without being a bore with details and circumstance, the nutshell version would be that it was my being vulnerable, or rather: allowing myself to be vulnerable ... was that drew forth the care and kindness that I had encountered on a few very poignant occasions and that soothed and helped and really healed (much of the loss of faith in life that I had before).
There were a few moments, in Rubiaes (northern Portugal) in which I felt I could not continue on my own (was already in my rented room) when I experienced an outpouring of tenderness and kindness of perfect strangers that I will recall with great awe and affection for the remainder of my days.

what I am trying to convey is that it is perhaps this peculiar and interesting situation that you find yourself in, in a foreign country, unable or impaired to complete simple things (like taking steps) unaided ... that shows you something about yourself, about life ... that all the demonstrations of strength and endurance could not have shown you.

just a thought --- but it would not surprise me the least if sooner or later you will find the gold in that experience. and it has nothing to do what was accomplished on the outside, in kilometers or places visited.

Claudia

€83,-
Hi Kat, Sorry to hear about your variation to your camino. It seems from the comments on here you are still undergoing YOUR camino. What do you think resulted in this tangential approach? Was it pushing too hard? Ignoring your body? Did you try compeed/airing/bodyglide/vaseline etc etc that people refer to here? (I am a little worried about blisters and subsequent complaints too).
I was wondering what you are planning? It appears you will end up in SDC one way or another - and as many have said it doesn't mean you having completed YOUR Camino. Your goal was to end up in SDC and so you will to catch your plane - even if not on foot. Best wishes to you from a fellow Aussie and my personal belief is our "guides" lead us into different experiences in our lives for a reason....the question is what is it they are trying to tell you? o_O:)

We have now realised the importance of listening to our bodies, and have decided that if we need to taxi a day here and there to allow our bodies to recover, then SO BE IT. Even "taxigrenos" are pilgrims. We will do the Camino our way. Better that than staying at home and just dreaming about being there.

Actually, listening to your bodies, and then taking slow days and rest days typically is far more satisfying ...

and as I said to Kat -- the only real mistake you can make is to set your arrival date and your return flight date in stone ; the Camino is not carved in stone

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good morning / afternoon Kat, I hope you are having a good day!!!
Sending good vibes your way from Canada.

Last edited:
Hola Kate - well its Tuesday night here in Oz - and its a lot colder than Leon. Nowhere in the SE is forecasting over 20 tomorrow - most of us are expecting cold winds, showers and snow on the southern alps - even on the coast south of Sydney (where I am) we are only expecting 16. So hopefully you are able to enjoy some sun - but no to much on those precious feet.

Now for all the rest of the pilgrims - there was some very good advice on blisters (from jabba I think. Stop and let the blisters dry out. Its advice I was given - stop at least a couple of times a day, take the boots and socks off and let the warm sun dry everything. Yes there will be times when its a pain to go through the process but it does help.

So off to Santiago and then Finnisterre. Well the loveable St James will be waiting to greet you in his spiritual home. Maybe some well heeled pilgrim will have paid the fee and you will see the botofumero swing. Its a sight to behold. Then to Finnisterre and "the end of world" (as ancient Europeans knew it). If you can afford it - stay the night and see the sun go into the Atlantic; then find a friendly eatery and enjoy a pilgrim menu and good bottle of vino tinto. The Camino will still be there to welcome you back next year or the year after or even 5 years from now. Its been here for over a 1000 years.

When you are home and if Sydney is close the Sydney Pilgrims meet monthly - @ City of Sydney RSL (in George St) - even months (Feb/Apr/Jun/Aug/Oct/Dec) its first Saturday from around 12.00 midday; odd months (Jan/Mar etc) its first Wednesday at 7.00 pm. Maybe we will see you there. Buen Camino:)o_O

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kat,
I haven't responded to this post yet as everyone else is sending best wishes and a good recovery to you. You are a brave young lady and I am amazed at how well you are coping with the situation that we all fear as we begin our Camino. As most have said..... you will again have the chance to walk the Camino, but you will will have gained so much more from this terrible painful experience you are enduring. I wish you a healthy recovery and some wonderful days ahead before you return home.
p.s. I hope you get McDreamy's e-mail address before you leave. He's a keeper!!!!:cool: Oh and I just realized last night as I was scrolling through old posts, that you were the young lady who managed to get her hiking sticks on the plane. Great photo of you at the airport.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,

Live from Leon. I will precursor this by saying this is a very sensitive topic to write about or share. For me at least.

Well my Camino has certainly taken many twists and turns so far. As is to be expected. With that comes many lessons also.

I now find myself in Leon. In a cheapish hotel near the river, contemplating the next chapter of my Camino. A second visit to a medical centre since my trip started, the first being for a sprained ankle. This time, after a 27km+ walk on my birthday no less, I find that I have a very bad infection and currently am unable to walk. Literally. I have two massive bandages around both feet, the result of not listening to my body and trying to walk through the pain.

I have been called everything from a taxigreno to a hotelgreno and all in between. Luckily most have been gentle with me at the times I have been most hard and cruel to myself. I have been advised that I am not allowed to walk at all for four days and will have to get my bandages changed daily by a doctor and my wounds seen to. My feet look like a horror film.

Which brings me to this. My new Camino. It's going to be markedly different from the one I was on. I may not reach Santiago in time before my flight leaves now. It's financially not possible for me to change my flights back to Australia. It leaves me with a huge dilemma of what is important....the walk or getting to Santiago. I have sadly missed much of the Meseta which was so important for me to do.

I have been lectured by a French zealot at a private hostal on doing it the right way and that clearly I haven't been.

So this post is just a gentle reminder to all who we see on the path that we each have our own challenges. Some may have none, others many.

A beautiful Camino friend shared with me recently her favourite Kafka quote. I think this sums it up aptly

"We are as forlorn as children lost in the woods. When you stand in front of me and look at me, what do you know of the griefs that are in me and what do I know of yours. And if I were to cast myself down before you and weep and tell you, what more would you know about me than you know about Hell when someone tells you it is hot and dreadful? For that reason alone we human beings ought to stand before one another as reverently, as reflectively, as lovingly, as we would before the entrance to Hell."

Katrina xo

The Camino as I have planned to complete in the near future, in my mind, is not about the physical walking or getting to a particular place. While those are milestones of measurement, the true journey is in the reflections on self, the community of your life, and your connection with a higher purpose which is different for each person. From what you have described I suspect that you have had plenty of experiences from which self-growth and insight has occurred. Even if you return to Oz tomorrow you will do so as a different person aware of so much more than simply being a person who walked a very long way. The physical destination is different for all but for all the journey of reflection for all is the true destination.

Best wishes - Kevin B.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many newcomers to the wonder if they will find e camino family. Well one thing is for sure Kat has! She has made a bigger one than anyone being lucky enough to walk all the way! Like everyone else you didn't know what the way had in store for you. And very few meet Dr McDreamy! :):):):)

The Camino as I have planned to complete in the near future, in my mind, is not about the physical walking or getting to a particular place. While those are milestones of measurement, the true journey is in the reflections on self, the community of your life, and your connection with a higher purpose which is different for each person. From what you have described I suspect that you have had plenty of experiences from which self-growth and insight has occurred. Even if you return to Oz tomorrow you will do so as a different person aware of so much more than simply being a person who walked a very long way. The physical destination is different for all but for all the journey of reflection for all is the true destination.

Best wishes - Kevin B.
Thanks Kevin,

I am the first to admit I have, sorry to say, 'lost my sh*t' a fair few times since this happened. Where I would have hoped insight and wisdom would have been present, they got lost in the mire of insurance crap. In fact I feel like the last week has plonked me fair and square in the 'real world' far from my Camino bubble. The yellow arrows are fading fast into the background which is embarrassing to admit. I am not the balanced pilgrim I thought I was.

I am not super goal driven and can be fairly flippant but I was arrogant enough to believe that although it may be challenging, the Camino would be from a-z with the goodies and baddies thrown in the mix. Instead I am left with egg on my face with the outcome that was a result of not stopping and resting till I healed.

Am I proud of losing it? Hardly. I was beside myself with frustration yesterday when the insurance appointed taxi guy took me shopping. Google translate doesn't help a guy who forgot his glasses and me trying to speak Spanish fell on deaf ears. He couldn't drive to save himself and kept hitting curbs and I felt v vulnerable strapped in the back in the wheelchair being at his mercy. Was like Manuel from Faulty Towers but worse. Icing on cake was when he picked up my backpack upside down and contents from side pockets fell and smashed a treat I for for myself...some moisturiser which went everywhere. We stood there with cream everywhere. I can laugh now but yesterday I wanted to throttle him.

So yes maybe I am having insights but am still royally f"&$ing up :(

Best wishes for your Camino :)

Last edited:
"I wanted to throttle him". felt like that a few times myself, but as you say Kat, you can laugh now . So I can only hope you can now keep laughing, as for me I enjoy being a reader of your posts. Best wishes and i will put a like to your last post.

Kat, thank you for your courage to share your experience and for providing this wonderous opportunity for other pilgrims to weigh in.

One of the things I learned last year on the VDLP was that the Camino exists in my heart, not on some map. Your journey, your pilgrimage, seems to be one of the heart. Thank you.

I was just having a bath and a thought popped into my head....possibly helped along by the glass of vino blanco I had on the terrace earlier ;)

This is not the Camino de Katrina Forum. I hope it's not appearing as some big egocentric adulation trip....although I do love the prayers and blessings. Signed feet photos will be available on the forum at a later date ;)

To get back to the point, my sole reason for posting was really for those currently on, and those about to embark on, the physical aspect of the Camino. I wanted to share my challenges in the hope that if their own Camino hits a road bump or a detour that it's somehow all part of the process, even if like me, they struggle to find the reason right now.

The photos of my legs became a bit of a joke and it's funny but I practically never have full length shots because of being ashamed. So to share these shots was something I would never do pre Camino. I have since discovered that legs look way longer and slimmer when photographed from that angle. Gravity works a treat for once! You should try it sometime :)

Many newcomers to the wonder if they will find e camino family. Well one thing is for sure Kat has! She has made a bigger one than anyone being lucky enough to walk all the way! Like everyone else you didn't know what the way had in store for you. And very few meet Dr McDreamy! :):):):)
That is such an interesting observation about the Camino family. I was pestering poor RobertS26 about feeling invisible and alone and if I would find a Camino family. Well I did and now I have an even bigger one than I could ever have imagined.

How lucky am I xox

€83,-
Just one thing: you have stunning legs!

Kate - It is "de Camino de Kate" - when you get home, take all these notes, all your dairy notes - the tears, the smiles, the laughs, the d*ckhead taxi driver and write your Camino memoir. I for one will happily concede copyright. It can become the alternative sequel to "the year we seized the day" and maybe pay for your next Camino.:):cool:o_O

€46,-
Well I had the absolute pleasure of meeting forum member Lotta and her daughter Linda. Where else but the Parador of course! :) So lovely to connect with a beautiful pilgrim. If you see Lotta and her daughter give them a big hug from me...they have huge hearts.

image.jpg

As an aside I just had drinks with 20 members of the Manchester Hells Angels who are staying at the Parador. Talk about worlds collide. I briefed them on the Camino and they briefed me on their club. Another judgement hits the dust!!

Hi Kat,
I hope you are getting better day by day. Please keep us informed.
Wishing you quick recovery,
Zsu

Beautiful, beautiful picture Kat and Lotta:)

How awesome that the Camino is still bringing unexpected experiences. I keep looking out for this thread and it always cheers me up:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kat! It was soooo lovely to meet you! As you know we took the train to Astorga and I have been thinking a lot about how great the camino is! You know... The camino provide thing! We are soo happy that we had the pleasure to spend the time with you - and - on Saturday Linda and I will put your stones at the Cruz de Ferro and start a Kat mountain! Lots of love! Lotta n' Linda
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1405542801.268972.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kat,
I hope you are getting better day by day. Please keep us informed.
Wishing you quick recovery,
Zsu
Thanks for the well wishes :) I am getting better thanks....I have been hobbling about a bit getting a few new blisters so I think I need to just stop!

My feet are looking like the surface of the Cruz de Ferro so fat chance of getting a date here ;)

Last edited:
Kat,
Next time you're out and about, whether it is where you are now or in Santiago or Finisterre,
and you see a frog (NOT a Frog, please!) pick it up and kiss it.

Who knows? :)
By "NOT a Frog" do you mean not a Frenchman??

By kissing a frog are we hoping for what exactly, a prince or warts or a combo of the two?!? ;)

I am sure to be reprimanded soon for my non Camino chat :(

Kat! It was soooo lovely to meet you! As you know we took the train too Astorga and I have been thinking a lot about how great the camino is! You know... The camino provide thing! We are soo happy that we had the pleasure to spend the time with you - and - on saturday Linda and I will put your stones at the Cruz de Ferro and start a Kat mountain! Lots of love! Lotta n' Linda
View attachment 11497
Right back at you !!! After you left I met the Hells Angels so my life continues to be full of randomness

Thanks for agreeing to put the stones for me. I will hopefully have a nice pile of 12 stones placed on my behalf

Safe travels xoxo

By "NOT a Frog" do you mean not a Frenchman??

By kissing a frog are we hoping for what exactly, a prince or warts or a combo of the two?!? ;)

I am sure to be reprimanded soon for my non Camino chat :(
Me too, probably!

For you, dear Kat with all your problems, the object of kissing should be nothing less than a prince!
And yes, Kat
To a Brit a Frenchman is called a frog and also, in centuries gone past, as Johnny Crapaud (a frog or toad) such monikers being for the French people's strange habit of ripping the hind legs off amphibians and, after cooking them, swamping (no pun intended there!) them in garlic butter - and as for the gastropods they also consume, let us not go there!!
Bon appetit!

I hate to admit it.....but I have succumbed to luxury :(

I am now a luxurigreno. Pls don't judge me..... I love fresh towels and sheets and a pillow! A traitor I knowimage.jpg

Here's my feet drinking on the terrace at the Parador, Leon :D

Jokes aside, I will be going to Santiago tomorrow with really mixed emotions. I feel like a fake and somehow dishonest about going.....like I don't deserve to eat dessert because I didn't finish my dinner . Make sense?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kat, I have been reading every post here since the thread started. I have nothing but admiration and pride for you and ALL the well-wishers on this site. What a lovely way to wake up to the day here (NZ) - reading positive and fun comments insteading of listening to negative and deriding news reports on TV. That is also the part of the camino I love the most - being swamped in ‘lovliness’. …..I’m getting off the point.
What I really want to say is a huge ‘congratulations’ to you for your openness and strength throughout your recovery. A huge ‘Buen Camino’ to you and I hope to see you bravely walking on a camino one day in the future.
Bless, Grace

I am about to embark on my Camino and I know I too may not be able to walk the entire route, even though that is my goal. I applaud you for taking care of yourself. Don't worry about the others. The Camino is a personal experience for each of us. Buen Camino

Makes sense to me. I felt the same way.
But im glad I went. It was horribly painfull hobbling around and I did keep my head down as I passed the pilgrams office. But.....I wouldn't change a thing.

If you are still planning on going to Finisterre your feet may like Hotel Naturalaze de Mah (?). Open mini bar!!! And the most amazing views of the sea. A bit pricey. ..but everything is all inclusive. They organised for a driver to take me to Muxia. Which was also wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to embark on my Camino and I know I too may not be able to walk the entire route, even though that is my goal.
You improve your chances of success if you prepare with conditioning and knowledge. Put that knowledge to use when you walk. Know the pitfalls and the remedies. There are a lot of hot tips in what chilledKat has written, so put them to use. Don't be surprised by the physical and mental challenges of the Camino, but if you are surprised, make sound, reasoned decisions. The Camino is not easy, so don't treat it casually. Conflicting goals are the hardest to deal with. For example, you are exhausted, but want to keep up with a group. You have to choose between the potentially negative physical outcome and the beneficial social outcome. If the physical outcome is tendonitis, then choosing the social benefit may set you back three days to a week. You can have both if you take a taxi, but then you have to reconcile the goal of walking every step and staying with the group. Know what is important and what is not. If you make the right choices, you WILL succeed! Buen camino.

Kat, I have just been scanning back through your postings and found your first offering:

"Hello everyone,
My name is Katrina and have decided to take the plunge and go this June/July. I really want to be in Santiago de Compostela for celebrations/fireworks on July 24th and 25th. Not even sure how long the pilgrimage takes....so I thought if I was ready to go on the 15th June I should make it in time right?????"

Life and luck play hard and fast with the rules don't they?
Not quite the hand of cards you expected back then, eh?

And in no way did you then get the Camino you expected when you left full of hope from Melbourne.
But in a funny and an extravagant way, your feet coupled with your disarming honesty and openness has won you more friends, fans and supporters than a straightforward Camino would have done.

What an oxymoron for you to have been both so unlucky and lucky at the same time!

With love, thanks and admiration for YOUR very personal 2014 camino.

Enjoy Santiago and the fireworks.

And I look forward to meeting you here on this website in 2015 when you, as I hope you will, undertake the same journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Traitor? Purist? Nonsense, says I! The people who judged you for not travelling their idea of a Camino or told you their way is the most satisfying way have not been in your shoes; their coulda/woulda/shoulda-ing counts for nothing.

Your challenge of living with your injury and adjusting to the changes of your circumstances and desires is an enormous emotional and physical journey. I too struggle with the guilt of expectations altered. But I recognise you have written of the beauty and humour in the everyday along with the struggle.

Savour your treats, your conversations, your vino and your sunsets. You deserve them, and don't let yourself convince you otherwise!

Love from another Aussie who finds you so inspiring x

Last edited:
.....like I don't deserve to eat dessert because I didn't finish my dinner . Make sense?

Makes sense, and I can understand feeling that way too, but you do so deserve that dessert! I can't add anything much that hasn't been said already - you have had your own unique Camino, you have battled through injury and downheartedness (is that a word?!), you have inspired others and provided this wonderful thread with its uplifting comments and great photos (McDreamy and feet!). On freezing (for Aucklanders!) winter mornings, it's a truly warming experience to read all of this. Thank you for sharing your Camino with us - I'll be looking out for a shot of those feet in Santiago next! Speaking of which - your feet are looking so much better too. The Parador treatment is an excellent addition!
Love and blessings xoxo

You improve your chances of success if you prepare with conditioning and knowledge. Put that knowledge to use when you walk. Know the pitfalls and the remedies. There are a lot of hot tips in what chilledKat has written, so put them to use. Don't be surprised by the physical and mental challenges of the Camino, but if you are surprised, make sound, reasoned decisions. The Camino is not easy, so don't treat it casually. Conflicting goals are the hardest to deal with. For example, you are exhausted, but want to keep up with a group. You have to choose between the potentially negative physical outcome and the beneficial social outcome. If the physical outcome is tendonitis, then choosing the social benefit may set you back three days to a week. You can have both if you take a taxi, but then you have to reconcile the goal of walking every step and staying with the group. Know what is important and what is not. If you make the right choices, you WILL succeed! Buen camino.

hmmmmm, that's not really how I feel about these things.

It's hard to think of a higher priority than one's health, so all will clearly be secondary to that ; after that, well, each Camino is ultimately individual, so I do feel one's own Camino should, even in cases of terribly conflicting decisions to make, come first.

As for walking companions, well, I've systematically found that the essential quality to look for in one's companions is a similar daily walking speed to one's own, and the same rhythm or close enough. Various personal qualities are a must, of course, but great people who routinely walk even just 5 KM more or less per day than oneself does will eventually be lost sight of somewhere. Oh, except of course it's always possible to slow down one's own hiking speed and stick with a slower pilgrim who is great to hike with ...

The group that will stick to the end is the group that will only walk as fast as its slowest member -- AND that makes sure that this slowest member clearly and fully understands that he or she is NOT slowing down the group, but is instead an essential and necessary person for the group as a whole.

But if one needs to stop anywhere, well then -- no need to feel guilty or anything, it's just the Camino -- then stop, say some good byes, rest, and carry on when ready -- because anyway, the good byes are inevitable somewhere along this road in any case, and they will be just as bittersweet in Leon as they will be in Santiago or Fisterra or wherever ...

Not every pilgrim will end up having a strong group experience, though many do ; just as not every pilgrim will end up having a solo one, except for those places on the Camino, whether on the trail or deep inside, where the solitary experience gets deep into your heart and soul ...

More importantly, there are no absolute rules for a "proper" Camino, though as a "purist" I will always recommend walking every step of the way, and even if that includes any unplanned lengthy rest periods ; which then necessarily entails not starting out with any arrival date pre-planned. But no, it's not necessary to walk the Camino as a part of some extended Camino "family", but then by extension nor is it necessary to bus through any difficult parts nor to get any taxis to catch up with others nor to do any of these things that are not part of the walking.

OK -- it's true that I've done a LOT of walking solo, compared to others -- my '94 Camino was at about 40 KM/day from Paris -- and I was completely alone from Paris to SJPP ; then alone in a crowd from there to Santiago, because nobody else was doing that speed. The solo experience is unusual in practical terms on the Francès, but I think simultaneously essential to every personal Camino -- and when the Camino gets personal like that, then one shouldn't let any group considerations interfere ... which isn't to say : don't join a group !! It's to say that there are three basic balls that you need to keep on juggling -- the personal experience ; the social element ; and one's own personal Camino itself, which is NOT the same thing as the personal experience of it. Or if you prefer -- the inner Camino ; the group Camino ; and the material Camino. All three need to be kept in the proper balance with each other, but at the same time that means that none can impose upon the other.

Each in turn will have its own requirements -- and if these lead to your leaving whichever particular group, there are many other pilgrims that you can meet instead, and perhaps some from your original group will have their own slow/fast day and you'll meet up again further down the road, and all in all I think one should aim for a looser bond of kinship on the Camino than think that the group should come before all ; because the hardships of the material Camino will not adapt themselves to one's social desires, and the hard reality of all one's other personal needs must be obeyed.

And I have found that the "purist" way of doing the Camino is the best way to try and keep this balance -- walk all of the Way, rest when you need to, don't predict any arrival dates, walk following your own rhythm, find walking companions with the same rhythm as yours, wait with them while they rest, and be grateful when they wait with you when it's your turn to ease your pains -- these things do not prevent the broader social life of the albergues, nor do they prevent a Camino "family" if you seek one, but more importantly they will get you far deeper into the Camino in and of itself.

Hi, things are like they are. Your experience isn't measured distance or time. let it all sink in and be happy with what you got and what you sttll can do. If I may suggest I would certainly spend my last days in Santiago de Compastella. Especialy because your from far and it will be a time to return. For this camino you would have the start, the journee and the end.
Enjoy and don't forget; nobody can give you a bad feeling without your permission.

If you're stuck in Spain (o! terrible fate!!), one option might be just to head off to the northern or Catalan coasts, and sign up for language courses at some small university town. They can often easily arrange accommodation and fix you up with a fortnight's course suitable for your level. You get to enjoy the way of life, a glass of wine, learn some Castilian, and be in better shape to do the Camino another time. It's been around for a thousand years, and will be there for a while longer. Next time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for sharing this. As a Pilgrim who has been waylaid by foot problems, I can relate. More importantly, your experiences to no diminish the value of your Camino. This IS your CAMINO and, as such, IT is teaching you what you need to learn. Embrace it. My advice for what it is worth: Get to Santiago by whatever method you can. Buen Camino...it is a successful one regardless of the conditions. Phil

Hi everyone,

Katrina xo

I'm here in Santiago..... When I arrived off the very late train ;) the heavens had opened up and the rain was heavy. I got a cab to the hotel which is a ten minute walk from the old town. I will greet it tomorrow when I am refreshed and ready to take it in.

I asked the hotel receptionist for a stamp in my credencial and within seconds she produced an ugly mass produced self inking stamp and made her mark upside down on my battered yet treasured paper. 'Fragile' by Sting was playing in the background

"......On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star, like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are, how fragile we are..."

It was like the ultimate movie scene unfolding with the perfect soundtrack.

I bit my lip to stop the tears cascading down my face.... I think the receptionist thought I may have been upset re the stamp.... And made quick exit to my room where I bawled my eyes out.

Now I am doing a Hemingway....am drinking in the bar downstairs :)

I will keep you posted. Thanks for keeping me afloat through this. There is so much heartache and pain in the world at the moment so my little problems mean nothing, that I know. But for what it's worth I couldn't have done it without you all.....
Xo

Last edited:
I'm here in Santiago..... When I arrived off the very late train ;) the heavens had opened up and the rain was heavy. I got a cab to the hotel which is a ten minute walk from the old town. I will greet it tomorrow when I am refreshed and ready to take it in.

I asked the hotel receptionist for a stamp in my credencial and within seconds she produced an ugly mass produced self inking stamp and made her mark upside down on my battered yet treasured paper. 'Fragile' by Sting was playing in the background

I bit my lip to stop the tears cascading down my face.... I think the receptionist thought I may have been upset re the stamp.... And made quick exit to my room where I bawled my eyes out.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for keeping me afloat through this. There is so much heartache and pain in the world at the moment so my little problems mean nothing, that I know. But for what it's worth I couldn't have done it without you all.....
Xo

Continuing prayers for you Kat ! Please say one for me in the cathedral!

Fr. Moses

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Kate - so now you know what the Camino is really about - its about finding yourself, falling over, picking yourself up and starting all over again. The Camino forum is now your very extended family - the real respect and love that has been extended you is the more typical of the Camino. Not those uncaring, unthinking ones who suggested that you have failed. You have not failed (I would have put it in capitals but shouting is bad manners!!) - the unthinking ones are the failures.
As an Aussie I fully understand the tyranny of distance - I was in a similar boat on the VDLP last year when I lost feeling in my left foot. Fortunately for me two fellow pilgrims told me that I could not walk the next day (or the day after) the trail was to rough and too isolated. Being a bit older I accepted the advice. A doctor I saw in Salamanca confirmed the advice - I had to become a tourist (no longer walking 20-30 km per day).
It may not seem like it but you are very fortunate to have had the medical treatment you have had. (Is your doctor married?? - may be he can take care of you for the rest of your life!!)

Your feet are going to carry you for the rest of your life and doing permanent damage is not a good idea when you are going to live until you are 90!! Hopefully you will get to experience some of NW Spain - a train or bus to Santiago and a bus to Finnisterre - see the sunset into the Atlantic!!
Keep smiling and Buen Camino!:);):D

Spot on advice Mike. It's so wonderful to see all the Forum support, given so generously as always. The Camino, in whatever form, is always there for you chilledKat.
Cheers - Jenny

Saint Teresa of Avila made her pilgrimage in a coach and four with servants - no one called her a false pilgrim or told her she wasn't a 'true' pilgrim.

On the way the coachman toppled the coach into a ditch in heavy rain. No one was hurt. Teresa crawled out of the carriage, into the mud, stood up, drenched and muddy (and most likely a little scared), thrust her fist into the sky and shouted to God "no wonder you have so many enemies if this is how you treat your friends"

I like that.

We are all 'true' pilgrims, those who travel to the cathedral in Santiago.

Buen Camino

In Canada we have a saying "Life is short, eat dessert first!".

I haven't been on this site in months but reading this thread has brought back many memories from last year when I did part of the camino. Plantar fasciitis after two weeks. Also my fault because I ran out of time to break in new boots and wore my old comfy ones that didn't hold up like I was hoping they would and instead of taking a taxi in to town like my daughter suggested I continued to hobble. I can still hear the volunteer who wrapped my foot in Santo Domingo telling me to "walk properly". I always hear it in his Spanish accent. I had tears from "walking properly" with the pain but so glad I listened to him - he said if I didn't put up with the pain I would just cause an injury somewhere else.

There are hop on and off bus tours where you sit on an open deck of a bus and get a tour of the city. I never would have dreamed of riding these before my failed camino but we went to Barcelona and Madrid and this was the only way of seeing anything. Check out Santiago, I am sure they will have one. You don't have to hop on or off, just ride the whole loop like we did.

I like to think of my injury as a glimpse into behind the scenes of the camino. You know not everyone gets to experience this so in a way we are "special". LOL!

I walked the camino with my then 20 year old daughter and after my diagnosis and being told I would be good to walk in 3 days my daughter went on ahead with plans for us to meet up. I actually met a number of people who said they were also told 3 days but our injuries were all different so that kind of became a running joke for me. Our only means of communication was thru email because we didn't have phones or tablets with us. The computers in the albergue I was at for 2 nites kept crashing. I had to find a locatorio which meant I wasn't staying off my feet. My daughter couldn't remember her email password so finding her was a whole adventure in itself.

If any one is stuck in Burgos the Hotel Gothica has notebooks with free wifi in each room.

We were flying home from Madrid and decided to head away from Santiago with plans to return again. Not having a computer lead to a lot of experiences that most people with computer access can avoid. Next time we are bringing some sort of communication even if it is just a tablet. We ended up for two nights in a hotel (with no computer) in a train station totally away from the city we thought we would be staying in. It down poured the whole time and we did laundry like pilgrims and hung all our clothes all over the bathroom. We watched Harry Potter in German. In Barcelona we watched a Doris Day movie in Spanish - the one where she sings Que Sera Sera.

Before our trip we planned which albergues and paradors we might like to stay in. Totally forgot about Ibis hotels which led to some very expensive hotels - not good when you haven't budgeted for that. Next time we will also remember the nice people here who have good priced accomodations that allow people to stay for more than 1 or 2 nites.

When we were learning Spanish we only learned touristy type words and phrases. Next time we will learn something that will come in handy when riding a bus or talking to a Doctor. The Doctors were excellent and luckily the people I dealt with who used google translate (excellent invention) didn't need reading glasses.

For two weeks we were tourists in Spain dressed like pilgrims. We felt very sad when we took our shells off our back packs. After being off the camino for less than 1 week we had a meal with French fries and it was so comforting. I found some individual cartons of red wine we brought back home and drank while looking at our photos.

I am still in pain today but not as bad as I would have been had I tried to continue the camino. I only passed two people the two weeks we were off the camino, I was keeping track.

In Santiago there will be other people like yourself. They are all over the camino. It took me a bit to come to terms about how my camino ended but then we realized it didn't end it just took a different direction. Some one said they heard my camino was a disaster and that is the furthest from the truth.

As Doris sang "Que Sera Sera". Enjoy your last days in Spain and know that when you return it will be a whole different experience.

€46,-

Ah the tears I can still taste mine after my release from hospital and I ent to the pilgrims office and was bawling like a baby, remember Kate tears are part of our lifes and should not be embarassed by them. Just drink and may I suggest use both hands that way life dose not seem as bad have a wonderful time in Santiago as you made it no matter how or by what transport you are a pilgrim first class.
Xo

I have been wondering how best to respond to all your posts, to find the right words to do your kindness justice. I don't think one can truly appreciate the impact ones written word has. It can destroy or bring life. Yours brought me hope, laughter and at times made me wonder who you were writing about as I don't relate to the person you are describing. Am not being coy, but I am far from brave and courageous. I have merely had some crappy luck on a journey I am pretty privileged to take.

I have had a really tough few days, with my insurance company pushing every button. I have lost it several times and being here alone and with limited mobility has really challenged me. I even went flying off a wheelchair ramp into a glass partition as my hands slipped and I ended up on the floor. I now sport bruises. And a bruised ego.

I still am unsure as to what will unfold. Two doctors has said explicitly I am not to walk the Camino and a third said it might be ok. I have a few days more of treatment left.

So thanks for keeping my spirit afloat. It has been to some very dark places indeed but checking in on the forum has helped me to keep going.

And because Al the Optimist is suffering feet withdrawals here I am currently watching bad TV! View attachment 11414

Hi Kat,
I hope this is the right way to post a reply.

I felt so sad to read what had happened to you on your first Camino, and then heartened to read the replies from fellow peregrinos. The only important thing for you is to get well and know that you have many years ahead of you to finish the camino in a different way. I know how feeling a 'failure' can get to you.

I did my first big walk in my late 50s, across England. My feet were a blistered mess and my legs were on fire. I cried the last 50 kilometres and then I castigated myself as a failure because even though I walked every step, I didn't do the exact route. I used a photo of my blistered feet as a teaching tool. At first I thought it was a “positive” stoic sense of “No pain, no gain”, “Pay whatever the price”, “You can do it!” On reflection, this was an unhelpful and unhealthy interpretation. The obvious question was “Why did I keep wearing the wrong boots?” The answer was that despite the extremely painful evidence, I persisted in thinking my feet would adjust. The boots were expensive and I could not admit that I had made a mistake and buy a more suitable pair when I had the (one) opportunity. Later I realised that in sharing this picture , I both “revealed” my personal vulnerabilities in the form of my bare feet and asked students to acknowledge me as a human being sharing a (learning) journey with them. The image was significant to me personally because the physical pain both reflected and deflected the emotional and spiritual pain I experienced as a result of family and work-related events . The metaphorical “pain” of moving on was expressed and resolved through my feet on that long journey.
Transferring what I learned to teaching and learning and to society generally, here are my learnings: We need

1. to be alert to early signs of discomfort or distress;

2. the evaluation skills to judge when strategies aren’t working;

3. to know where to get advice and support;

4. the humility to face looking foolish for having persisted or chosen wrongly in the first place and

5. the courage to take steps to change.

Take care dear Kat. You will take such wisdom and strength from this with you into life.

PS Kat, since then I have completed 7 Caminos to Santiago de Compostela. The Camino will always be waiting for you.

In Canada we have a saying "Life is short, eat dessert first!".

I haven't been on this site in months but reading this thread has brought back many memories from last year when I did part of the camino. Plantar fasciitis after two weeks. Also my fault because I ran out of time to break in new boots and wore my old comfy ones that didn't hold up like I was hoping they would and instead of taking a taxi in to town like my daughter suggested I continued to hobble. I can still hear the volunteer who wrapped my foot in Santo Domingo telling me to "walk properly". I always hear it in his Spanish accent. I had tears from "walking properly" with the pain but so glad I listened to him - he said if I didn't put up with the pain I would just cause an injury somewhere else.

There are hop on and off bus tours where you sit on an open deck of a bus and get a tour of the city. I never would have dreamed of riding these before my failed camino but we went to Barcelona and Madrid and this was the only way of seeing anything. Check out Santiago, I am sure they will have one. You don't have to hop on or off, just ride the whole loop like we did.

I like to think of my injury as a glimpse into behind the scenes of the camino. You know not everyone gets to experience this so in a way we are "special". LOL!

I walked the camino with my then 20 year old daughter and after my diagnosis and being told I would be good to walk in 3 days my daughter went on ahead with plans for us to meet up. I actually met a number of people who said they were also told 3 days but our injuries were all different so that kind of became a running joke for me. Our only means of communication was thru email because we didn't have phones or tablets with us. The computers in the albergue I was at for 2 nites kept crashing. I had to find a locatorio which meant I wasn't staying off my feet. My daughter couldn't remember her email password so finding her was a whole adventure in itself.

If any one is stuck in Burgos the Hotel Gothica has notebooks with free wifi in each room.

We were flying home from Madrid and decided to head away from Santiago with plans to return again. Not having a computer lead to a lot of experiences that most people with computer access can avoid. Next time we are bringing some sort of communication even if it is just a tablet. We ended up for two nights in a hotel (with no computer) in a train station totally away from the city we thought we would be staying in. It down poured the whole time and we did laundry like pilgrims and hung all our clothes all over the bathroom. We watched Harry Potter in German. In Barcelona we watched a Doris Day movie in Spanish - the one where she sings Que Sera Sera.

Before our trip we planned which albergues and paradors we might like to stay in. Totally forgot about Ibis hotels which led to some very expensive hotels - not good when you haven't budgeted for that. Next time we will also remember the nice people here who have good priced accomodations that allow people to stay for more than 1 or 2 nites.

When we were learning Spanish we only learned touristy type words and phrases. Next time we will learn something that will come in handy when riding a bus or talking to a Doctor. The Doctors were excellent and luckily the people I dealt with who used google translate (excellent invention) didn't need reading glasses.

For two weeks we were tourists in Spain dressed like pilgrims. We felt very sad when we took our shells off our back packs. After being off the camino for less than 1 week we had a meal with French fries and it was so comforting. I found some individual cartons of red wine we brought back home and drank while looking at our photos.

I am still in pain today but not as bad as I would have been had I tried to continue the camino. I only passed two people the two weeks we were off the camino, I was keeping track.

In Santiago there will be other people like yourself. They are all over the camino. It took me a bit to come to terms about how my camino ended but then we realized it didn't end it just took a different direction. Some one said they heard my camino was a disaster and that is the furthest from the truth.

As Doris sang "Que Sera Sera". Enjoy your last days in Spain and know that when you return it will be a whole different experience.
So true I had the same thing about my Camino sorry it did not work out or what a stuff up but to me it was MY CAMINO I loved every minute, I got to meet some great and nice people and I am full of memories and this year I will create new memories with my second walk.

Katrina, you will walk another Camino, I am sure. Just read the thread "80 years and over" to confirm that. Be joyous when you arrive at the tomb of St James. Remember the millions who have come to that place before you, have trod those steps, have walked but also come in every type of conveyance, every state of health, have suffered, laughed, been rich, poor, from every place. Then climb the steps behind the altar and give Jimmie a hug. I give thanks that you have been brought safely to Santiago. Please light a few candles for the world, for us all, when you are inside the Cathedral.

Glad you are there Kat. Enjoy, you deserve it more than most! Terri mentioned tour buses. There is a little train that does a city tour. It starts in the Plazo Do Obradoiro. Maybe visit Johnnie Walker in the Pilgrim's office and Ivar in his? Maybe while away some time in the Plaza de Fonseca just a little downhill from the Cathedral. Everyone pilgrim walks past there at some point, so maybe you will meet some of those you met on the way?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
'Blisteringly' current news from Santiago ...

ChilledKat is definitely on the mend ... A pic for you all, taken this afternoon ...

image.jpg

Receiving that healing feeling through laughter and stories in the company of Camino friend Anne and Forum Friends AJ and BiarritzDon, plus some medication of the fermented grape kind!
Cheers - Jenny

'Blisteringly' current news from Santiago ...

ChilledKat is definitely on the mend ... A pic for you all, taken this afternoon ...

View attachment 11632

Receiving that healing feeling through laughter and stories in the company of Camino friend Anne and Forum Friends AJ and BiarritzDon, plus some medication of the fermented grape kind!
Cheers - Jenny
I think that photo should have come with a warning Jenny!! Ewwww

Although it doesn't look bad at all now. I have kept the gory images to myself.

The company of such wonderful people always helps with the healing :)

Yeah, Jenny! As long as you are there maybe you could talk to Ivar about a new "FBA" symbol (Food and Beverage Advisory) to mark posts that could cause loss of keyboards from spilled coffee, tea, whatever.:)

Seriously though, it is looking pretty good, Kat. Congrats!

But do keep the "Before" photos to yourself - - at least until there is an "FBA" marker in use here.;)

B

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Saint Teresa of Avila made her pilgrimage in a coach and four with servants - no one called her a false pilgrim or told her she wasn't a 'true' pilgrim.

On the way the coachman toppled the coach into a ditch in heavy rain. No one was hurt. Teresa crawled out of the carriage, into the mud, stood up, drenched and muddy (and most likely a little scared), thrust her fist into the sky and shouted to God "no wonder you have so many enemies if this is how you treat your friends"

I like that.

We are all 'true' pilgrims, those who travel to the cathedral in Santiago.

Buen Camino
I remember doing almost the same thing more than once along the way!

Yeah, Jenny! As long as you are there maybe you could talk to Ivar about a new "FBA" symbol (Food and Beverage Advisory) to mark posts that could cause loss of keyboards from spilled coffee, tea, whatever.:)

But do keep the "Before" photos to yourself - - at least until there is an "FBA" marker in use here.;)

B
Actually B, forget following the yellow marker, I am shedding skin by the bucket loads. I think Jenny photoshopped my feet as they are actually looking pretty disgusting.

Have you upended another cup of coffee ??? ;)

This thread of truth is a great thread - especially for those planning to go ... not just the rose petals but the truth about the Way when we don't listen to our bodies or get into trouble for other reasons ... when we find courage, even laughter, through pain ...

I think this video, which is on my www.pilgrimsupplies.org very front page! explains it well .... Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Kat, Enjoy Santiago! You can not change what happened but you can change what happens next! Buen camino!

Dear ChilledKat:

I began reading your posts before I started my own camino. I had read a lot of advice in the forum about listening to your body and not pushing yourself. For me, that has always been a gray line - what is a good push for the body and what is too much. Because I think we are typically stronger than we think we are.

Your post helped me. I got a small blister in-between the base of my big toe after day one. Without getting into too much detail, everything I did made it worse. Compeed, needle and thread, tape- nothing was working but I painfully kept walking ahead anyway and getting blister upon blister. Yesterday, I stopped. While I think the camino is suppose to be difficult, I also don't think it should be highly painful with each step. This might not come across the way it is intended- but your post helped me see what pushing on might cost me.

But here is what my 3.5 days, 70 km on the primitivo taught me:

Everyone walks their own camino. Each with their own pace, each with their own challenges along the way. Some people pass you and you never see them again. Others stay for a longer period of time - enough time to learn and gain additional wisdom from them. And some people stick with you the whole way, side by side, till the end. It's important not to judge other people along your route, you have no idea where they have been or how far or difficult their walk has been. You must appreciate and respect their camino and how they choose to walk it. In other words- the camino is a lot like life itself.

I've met a lot of people doing things their own way. Walking backwards along the camino, walking for special reasons knowing that they won't walk the last 100kms to Santiago and some know that they walk and won't make it to Santiago at all.

Three years ago, when I went to Santiago the first time, I was in awe of the camino and the city. There was a person in front of a convent dressed all in white on a pedestal. I honestly thought it was a statue of Gandhi, even though it would be out of place in that location. Since I had taken a picture, I threw some coins into his jar. He leaned down and gave me a tiny piece of paper wrapped in yellow yarn. I never opened it - until yesterday. On it is this quote from Gandhi: "Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it."

There is a popular Spanish expression that is said often around the camino. Ultreya! It means moving forward with courage. I know this camino has made me stronger, and regardless of where it ends for me, I know I'm still moving forward, hopefully with courage, but always forward. And I know that goes for the camino of my life too.

Ultreya ChilledKat! Not on this camino, but on your camino of life. Your camino de Santiago has given you a different courage than you might have imagined, but courage all the same and you are still moving forward.

As for me, while my camino primitivo might have ended because of the long stages it has with no services, I'm taking a train to Leon and then to Sarria, and hoping that 2 days of rest will allow my blisters to heal enough to walk the rest of the way. If not, I know that where ever this camino will take me, I'm a stronger, better person for attempting to take this journey.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

B
Hi B -

Don and I acted on your top idea of the new 'FBA' warning and hot-footed it around to Ivar's office to discuss its implementation straight away! However, being Sunday, Ivar wasn't there. Don's disappointment was extreme ...

image.jpg

More news on our Forum 'patient' ... Last night Kat was in fine form when several of us met for dinner - 'kept us all entertained with hilarious stories of life on and off the Camino. Enjoy Finisterre Kat and more pics please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back