• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where are albergues with stoves?

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Am planning a Camino on the Frances for later in the summer and looking over information in the fabulous Gronze site. Guess what. After looking at the albergues around Pamplona, Longrono, Burgos and beyond, haven’t seen a single kitchen with a stove!

Can travelers who have already been through Camino Frances please let us all know which hostels, albergues, pensiones, etc., have had a working stove in the kitchen?

Thanks!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Am planning a Camino on the Frances for later in the summer and looking over information in the fabulous Gronze site. Guess what. After looking at the albergues around Pamplona, Longrono, Burgos and beyond, haven’t seen a single kitchen with a stove!

Can travelers who have already been through Camino Frances please let us all know which hostels, albergues, pensiones, etc., have had a working stove in the kitchen?

Thanks!
Hi what exactly do you mean by a stove? An electric or gas hob? An oven?

Or are you really interested in what places have a working kitchen in which to prepare and eat meals? Cooktop, oven possibly, food preparation equipment, cooking utensils, serving and eating utensils and crockery and cutlery? There were plenty of places on the CP when I walked it recently that had working cooktops and microwave ovens or conventional ovens or even both, but little in the way of the other items I have mentioned. I doubt the CF will be much different.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked November?December 2021 on the VDLP and then walked up to Astorga and continued on the Frances. There were plenty of albergues with full functioning kitchens that were working; Stove, oven (usually) refrigerator and everything you needed to cook and eat with. Of course the Xuntas in Galicia all have kitchens but you can't cook in them but that has been the case for years. I do alot of cooking and making lunches for the following day and had plenty of choices in the private albergues.

Thanks!
El Burgo Ranero definitely, + utensils.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Thanks!
I wouldn’t count on cooking in any given albergue. If gronze or a guide says there is a stove, there may or may not be one. If there is one, it might not work, or the pots, pans, and utensils have been removed due to Covid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks!
Another option if you want to be able to cook, is to look at apartments. If you are walking with others it makes that affordable. We were often able to get them in cities, and because there were 3 of us, (one being coeliac) it was ok pricewise.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.