• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where are all the Americans???

Status
Not open for further replies.
johnsondav said:
Parzival said:
I'm an American. I travel a lot, and often with my wife, and child. You will never see us advertise the fact that we are American. I can't think of anything more bizarre than traveling with an American flag patch on my backpack. People tend to target us because they believe we are rich. Others might hurt us because of our governments actions. It might seem paranoid but blending in has served us well.

That's an interesting thought, I was in the process of buying an American Flag patch, but may reconsider. Thanks for the insight.

Its quite a different mentality regarding nationalism. If you go to the US, it is common to see streets with US flags draped from every available pole on any given national holiday.

I was in Spain during the Constitution day holiday 6 December 2012. There was significant comment about the demonstration of nationalism with Spanish flags in parades. Apparently the 2012 celebration was the first time for it since the 1978 constitution was adopted. A lot of the underlying reasons for the flag waving occuring in 2012 were attributed to do with the rumblings about Basque and Catalonian separation.

It might be seen as normal or obvious to stick a flag on your pack if you come from an intensely patriotic country. In my travels, my observation is most people don't often make an overt demonstration of nationalistic pride. You don't need to ... usually you find out soon enough where people come from as its an opener for conversation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is an interesting thread. What or who is an American like? I was born in Germany of Polish parents. Went to school in the USA and lived most of my life in the Caribbean on an island (~50 Km sq). I must be an American but I see myself as a citizen of this planet living now in the USA. I never understood why USA citizens are called Americans and citizens of Mexico & Canada are Mexicans & Canadians. But then there are many things I don't understand. But I do know that we all are very alike in many ways as well as being diverse also. There are diverse attitudes in the USA and these same attitudes will be found in other countries as well. In my limited travels I have encountered many attitudes, beliefs whatever. I try to seek commonality. I believe we can all find some common ground with understanding and tolerance. Although I'm a wonderful human being I appreciate that people who may not agree still tolerate me. I do not know why others walk the Camino, but I believe that this journey ties us in a common thread. From reading the kind, supportive and encouraging posts in this forum I feel a warm compassion from many people of many countries and many backgrounds. That kindness and compassion bind us regardless of where we are from because we all live on this same planet. I look forward to this journey (sept) and to meeting my brothers and sisters on this road we will travel. Buen Camino

Wonderful post Maurice16! I agree fully with you, in the end it is mere coincidence where somebody was born, the one thing we have in common is that we are all citizens of this one earth. SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
falcon269 said:
I

Post removed by moderator.
Warning to refrain from personal attacks...especially in your first post in the forum.

Americans simply don't know about it. The movie changed that a bit, but they are oblivious. Plenty of Americans walk other trails, such as the Appalachian Trail.

Maurice, I love your posting.

Prejudice is no more and no less than a demonstration of ignorance and consequent intolerance.

xin loi

xenophobia is again ignorance but coupled with fear and insecurity.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hermanita, the ticket you got is a real bargain.. i've been watching philly to barclona and they cost over $1000. do you recommend waiting for a couple of months? my worry is that they might go up more if i wait. I'll be traveling mid-May of 2015.

I've read strange things about Ryanair. It's really one of the lowest airfare hands down however please read customer's comment about their experiences and be the judge.

I've read strange things about Ryanair. It's really one of the lowest airfare hands down however please read customer's comment about their experiences and be the judge.

I have used Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling etc on many occasions.
Yes, they appear to be cheap and can be
BUT
read the small print very closely and if you adhere to their rules it will be cheap
but make a mistake - it will be very expensive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're right, Sil. We have to make our time really worthwhile because of the cost of a flights to Spain (we walk every other year). I envy those in Europe who can "hop on / hop off". Wouldn't that be nice! It's easier for those of us who are retired, but the young folks here in Canada who can't get much time off from work find it next to impossible (financially) to do a couple of weeks each year. The cost of flights are hideous.

Not to speak of the "Taxes, Surcharges and Fuel Charges":

Heathrow: $445. CDN
Madrid: $335. CDN
Paris: $335.CDN

It takes me days, every time, to figure out the relative cost of flying to London and then EasyJet or RyanAir, or just flying to Madrid.

lynne
Try $1600 from Australia to CDN, but whats all this about as I only saw or meet pilgrims when I was there last year and I hope thats all I meet again this year.

Pilgrim Trev

Hermanita, the ticket you got is a real bargain.. i've been watching philly to barclona and they cost over $1000. do you recommend waiting for a couple of months? my worry is that they might go up more if i wait. I'll be traveling mid-May of 2015.

I booked my tickets Chicago to Paris and Madrid to Chicago as soon as the airlines made them available for the dates I wanted. I think it was about 11 months out. My airline tickets came to about $800 bucks round trip. Get your tickets real early.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wonder how many mexicans do the Camino?? A friend of mine never met another one through her Camino almost 4 years ago.
I hope to meet some during mine.

I wonder how many mexicans do the Camino?? A friend of mine never met another one through her Camino almost 4 years ago.

Cangab37, we walked with a Mexican friend last year and met 3-4 others along the Way. By the way, she had several locals compliment her on her good Spanish. ;) Be prepared.

Buen camino!

I met one young man from Monterrey, Mexico and saw one pass by me on a bicycle (wearing a bike jersey with a Mexican flag)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Dennis M --- Yes, Hermanita walked the camino frances 5 years ago. The airfare and the camino have changed a lot in 5 years.
Regards,

annie

€46,-
Mexicans--met about a half dozen Mexicans in June--Great people--waiting to hear from David from MC DF as I promised to visit MC DF this winter and instruct their locals how to make tacos!
Two of our new Mexican friends did the Camino while carrying BIG packs holding EVERYTHING for their 3 month tour of Europe. They did not train nor did they have special hiking footwear notr did they use hiking poles. They had no idea what a guidebook was nor what an Albergue was. Someone told them about the Camino when they arrived in Spain so they decided to try walking it for a few days. Helped them out and they walked all of the way to Santiago along with the Spanish friends they made along the way. I still think they took a taxi up some hills, but they swore they walked the whole way.

Costs of flights--we intended to walk the Camino in 2013 but flights from US were too expensive. We walked May & June 2014 after American put on a sale and we got Roundtrip tickets from Williamsport, Pa to Madrid for $517. You have to search for deals. Going to Cusco, Peru in two weeks for $390 Roundtrip out of Wash DC, but have gone there for less--$270 RT. Wish I could get some deals like Europeans get--last Nov in Belize I met a young woman who claimed she flew RT Madrid to Cancun for $180 Euros RT; Last Spring in Bolivia I met a woman who flew Paris to Lima for 200 euros RT.

Dennis--keep watching Philly flights for deals as a lot of Madrid flights starting in western US land and refuel in Philly. I flew Wmpt to Philly and got on the Madrid flight that was full of people from California and Arizona. I check flights every couple days and watch several airports as sometimes Companies put on sales for small airports and not large airports, E.G ABE is sometimes much cheaper than Philly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just returned from walking the Camino Frances and only met a handful of Americans ( I kept count..I met only 10 in 35 days). I was not surprised , but disappointed.
Most Americans I talk to never heard of the Camino and look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention it.

What is it with us Americans from the USA???

No..we don't speak the language...but neither do the French and they are there in record numbers.
Yes, we are loud and demanding, but so are the Germans, and they are also there in record numbers.

I think we have become a nation of couch potatoes and mindless consumers.

I am seriously trying to figure it out. Not trying to start a war, or an American bashing contest, but any thoughts??
I encountered a few Americans during my 17 day Camino in May. On the other hand, I encountered very very few Europeans during 1800 miles of the Appalachian Trail. When in Rome--- :)

"Most Americans I talk to never heard of the Camino and look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention it."

Agree that most have not heard of the Camino, but I was really surprised that my two UFO Fanatic Neighbors know a lot about it! When I told them I had walked the Camino, they told me a lot about it that I had not heard before. Apparently American OFOians believe that the Compostella, i.e "Field of Stars" was so named due to UFO landings observed by Druids! They also informed me that the Lighthouse at Finesterre is built on top of the old Druid Altar of The Sun God. When I was at Finesstere, no one could direct me to the Altar but my neighbors seem to know where it is. They also claim the Camino follows the Milky Way from some point in central Europe to the Atlantic.

I just returned from walking the Camino Frances and only met a handful of Americans ( I kept count..I met only 10 in 35 days). I was not surprised , but disappointed.
Most Americans I talk to never heard of the Camino and look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention it.

No..we don't speak the language...but neither do the French and they are there in record numbers.
Yes, we are loud and demanding, but so are the Germans, and they are also there in record numbers.

I am seriously trying to figure it out. Not trying to start a war, or an American bashing contest, but any thoughts??
I'm coming, I'm coming!!!! hopefully next summer. But I'm surprised too. I was just in Ashland, Oregon, and the entire storefront window of a sporting goods/travel store was about the Camino. I was selfishly preferring to meet other nationalities, but it looks like it may become a fad.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dennis M, check out Norwegian Air. They don't fly from many US airports but their fares are so low that it might be worth it to travel to one of their departure cities. Also, their base fare is low and if you want to keep it that way just don't go for the options. Example: choosing your seat is an option....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My closest friends on the Camino this summer were two sisters from Mexico who started their walk in Le Puy. Additionally, there was a Mexican soccer team traveling at the same pace so we spent a fair amount of time interacting with them as well. There were two other young women from Mexico doing the Camino too.

Check out American Pilgrims on the Camino to meet a growing group of pilgrims from North America. We had an amazing gathering in St. Louis MO this spring, including a very moving "shell ceremony" for those of us making our first Camino in 2014. The website is americanpilgrims.com

Jerry

Mexicans--met about a half dozen Mexicans in June--Great people--waiting to hear from David from MC DF as I promised to visit MC DF this winter and instruct their locals how to make tacos!
Two of our new Mexican friends did the Camino while carrying BIG packs holding EVERYTHING for their 3 month tour of Europe. They did not train nor did they have special hiking footwear notr did they use hiking poles. They had no idea what a guidebook was nor what an Albergue was. Someone told them about the Camino when they arrived in Spain so they decided to try walking it for a few days. Helped them out and they walked all of the way to Santiago along with the Spanish friends they made along the way. I still think they took a taxi up some hills, but they swore they walked the whole way.

Those last ones absolutely mexicans!!! We characterize for not planning and just getting on any wave that crosses our path.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Perhaps it was the time you walked. I was on the trail in May and June and met heaps of Americans, really enjoyed getting some first had insights into that most fascinating country.

This is an amazing thread!

Here's one American's perspective. I originally wanted to hike the Camino in 2011 after meeting and talking with Lydia Smith, the producer/director of the documentary film Walking the Camino. This was before The Way and before it was "popular" here. I started doing training hikes along California's El Camino Real to prepare for it.

But, as discussed so much here in this thread, work, family, money, and especially TIME got in the way and I had to put plans to complete the Camino de Santiago on indefinite hold. FRUSTRATING, but the reality of life. Instead, I did my own pilgrimage in California along the El Camino Real (Mission Trail). See https://www.facebook.com/CaminoRealdeCalifornia?fref=ts for an open Facebook page describing it. There's also the page Nancy posted as well as http://walkelcaminoreal.com/. Basically, it's an historic 240+ year old highway that connects California's 21 Spanish missions from San Diego to Sonoma.

I was able to do it in stages which made it much more accommodating to my other obligations. I used Amtrak train service to go up and down the coast over weekends and sometimes up to 10 day trips. I did it pretty much the way Europeans do the Camino de Santiago. It was an amazing experience, seeing the absolute best of California at a pilgrim's pace. I hope to repeat it again some day as a non-stop through hike. Though the Mission Trail is in it's infancy compared to the Camino de Santiago, it continues to grow in popularity. We even have our own passport and all 21 missions have a stamp. Some missions even provide hostel type lodging.

Not to get off topic, my point is that there are many more Americans that would love to hike the Camino de Santiago than actually do it but find the logistics and expense too big of a hurdle to overcome unless you are a student or retired. I plan to be in the latter category in a few years and that's when you'll see me on the Camino. I also encourage any American thinking about hiking the Camino de Santiago to consider some training hikes along the El Camino Real beforehand. Your feet will appreciate the experience!

Buen Camino! Or as we say along the El Camino Real, Siempre Adelante, Always Forward; Father (soon to be Saint) Junípero Serra's motto.

Last edited:
I am unable to comment on this year yet,but in the previous two years I met many wonderful Americans,especially notable the young enthuastic pilgrims.In Carrion I was very moved to see a young American girl,having been approached by the nuns as she spoke Spanish,stand up at Mass and give the reading in front of both pilgrims and locals.I told her later it was a shame her parents had not seen her as they would have been so proud.All these young Americans I met were a credit to their nation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perhaps it was the time you walked. I was on the trail in May and June and met heaps of Americans, really enjoyed getting some first had insights into that most fascinating country.
The OP, who I know personally, walked back in September 2009. This was before The Way and, in fact there were very few N.Americans walking the Camino then.
I got to know OP Hermanita, (Rita is her name), through the Forum. We walked one week behind her and, due to the Forum and our numerous messages between ourselves, she came with her family to visit us in Costa Rica later! anne

All good responses.

I do realize that we as Americans do not have the luxury of 4-6 weeks vacation like most Europeans do, and that it is much further for us to travel to do the Camino.

As far as expense, I don't know...My husbands ticket was $429.US That is pretty cheap considering that Americans pay close to that for a night out to a ball game (including tickets, food and drink and parking... last time I went to Boston for a game it was $50 just to park !!)

No, "we" as Americans do not have the luxury of that long vacation, as Europeans do, and yes--the distance is much longer.

A few other comments, though, and I think these are valid:
If you can pay up to $400 for a night out to a ball game, you are not a typical American: many Americans struggle to pay bills and make ends meet, especially young Americans, people raising children, Americans with disabilities. You are privileged, and privileged people have the money to travel! I am not criticizing, mind you. I too have that privilege.

Most of the travelers on this forum are outdoors enthusiasts, religious, international travelers, or a combination of the three. Not all Americans are going to feel athletic enough , sufficiently pious, or inclined to do overseas travel--for a long walk across Spain. It takes a rather unique person to get called to the Camino?

Americans (those in the US, anyway) live in a huge, huge country that includes coastlines, myriad mountain ranges with amazing hikes (the PCT, AT, to name a few), National Parks in great abundance with amazing camping and hikes--The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion (again, to name just a few), and also, fifty very unique states with geography that leaves me, as a traveler of many of those states, awestruck. Hawaii, Arizona, California, Montana, Utah, Washington, Wyoming....my home state of Oregon is an outdoor enthusiast's paradise!

I have not--at the age of 56--seen nearly enough right here in my own backyard, but I will go to Spain in October and do the Camino Frances!

I know a lot, a lot of Americans who are not by any means couch potatoes. Many of them fish, hunt, hike, bike. But a lot of them pay dearly to live in Oregon, and can't afford overseas travel. I am blessed, and I know it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Instead, I did my own pilgrimage in California along the El Camino Real (Mission Trail). See https://www.facebook.com/CaminoRealdeCalifornia?fref=ts for an open Facebook page describing it. There's also the page Nancy posted as well as http://walkelcaminoreal.com/. Basically, it's an historic 240+ year old highway that connects California's 21 Spanish missions from San Diego to Sonoma.

.[/QUOTE]
Hi James -- I'm excited to hear about the El Camino Real walk. I live in Santa Maria and visited many of the missions over the years. I leave to walk the Camino de Santiago on May 27. I will certainly research the El Camino Real when I return in July. I'm going to need another walk closer to home!!
Thanks for the heads up :)

If you are going to walk from SJPDP to Santiago, please take along some small American flags and some one dollar bills. Places like the Cowboy Bar ask Americans if they have a flag--note their pictures for our flag--there are none!

Lot of bar tenders asked if I had a dollar bill to autograph and put on the wall like we do in the US. They always traded me a religious medal for the dollar bill. And sometimes a free coffee.
American story--walked for a few days with a young woman from Spain who just got out of nursing school and had not found a job yet. I told her to come to the US for a job as a Nurse. She saed she could never work as a nurse in the US as in her Nursing school in Spain they told her that we just let people die outside a hospital if they showed up sick with no money!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Americans tend to pretend they are Canadian :)

You know, my ex and I joked about this when we were traveling throughout SE Asia but we never did that.

Any white face over there was perceived as "rich representative" of America.

I don't think I would do anything more radical than put an APOC (American Pilgrim etc) on my backpack. Also, we Americans tend to be a bit more cynical than Canadians, and I truly love my neighbors to the north. One of my best friends lives in Calgary, and I miss her tremendously. Because we're contiguous to Canada, many of us have roots in Canada--so, for example, my paternal grandma's family lived in Maine (and my ancestors fought for the American Revolution), and some of those family members lived in New Brunswick too.

on two Camino's I met many Americans,none of them claiming to be any other nationality than American,and all proud of their nation.Sorry Bernard

Many things have changed since this Thread Was Started in 2009.

Be sure to check the dates on the old posts before responding.

Grayland: ironically, we newbies are darned if we do and darned if we don't! We are so often told to read the old threads, read the old threads (so we don't repeat questions and information)!

No big deal. 2009 was a sneeze ago for this old gal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Deb, you are exactly right but in defense of Grayland's post there are two basic kinds of threads IHMO: informational ones about places and things and opines about people and things. This one definitely falls into the latter.

Last edited:
Many things have changed since 2009 in relation to the numbers of Americans on the camino.
Most of the comments in the original thread do not apply today.

This is often the problem in resurrecting an old post of this type.

Don is very right in his post above.

Many things have changed since 2009 in relation to the numbers of Americans on the camino.
Most of the comments in the original thread do not apply today.

This is often the problem in resurrecting an old post of this type.

Don is very right in his post above.

Of course. No harm meant.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry for not looking back to 2009 Grayland,but your post deserved a reply "in the now". Buen Camino .Bye all.

Grayland: ironically, we newbies are darned if we do and darned if we don't! We are so often told to read the old threads, read the old threads (so we don't repeat questions and information)!

No big deal. 2009 was a sneeze ago for this old gal.
Exactly, I am meeting my Peace Corps country director tomorrow in Pamplona and will celebrate my 69th birthday this weekend. The last time I saw her and her husband was 2004 and yet it seems like just yesterday when I left Togo.

Exactly, I am meeting my Peace Corps country director tomorrow in Pamplona and will celebrate my 69th birthday this weekend. The last time I saw her and her husband was 2004 and yet it seems like just yesterday when I left Togo.

Biarritzdon--seriously! I completely relate. I was just reminiscing about celebrating the year 2K in Phnom Penh. It was not a good night for this American. Times were still pretty dangerous during the night, and my philandering ex stranded me. Sigh. Those times....One of these days, I will write a memoir, but my goodness: you were in the Peace Corps? Wow, that is wonderful.

Last year, I began my Camino in Madrid and stayed on my last night before my return flight at a hostel called Las Musas. It was packed with young people, travellers, not pilgrims, and I felt quite out of place until I was adopted by five very gregarious Americans who turned out to be Peace Corp volunteers. I had no idea that the organisation still existed.
They were a credit to their country, and, I might add, had me laughing for hours.

Not only a PCV in Cote d'Ivoire during that "little civil unrest thingie" in 2002 but surviving several continuous elections upheavals in Togo after Eyadema's death and then some time during 2008 near Kano, Nigeria with MSF rehabbing a state hospital under the watchful nose of what was obviously a growing movement of fundamentalists who I now realize were the Boko Haram.

As @grayland told us before this is an old thread originating from 2009 and OP Hermanita has not been active on this forum in 2 last years. Last time January 21, 2013.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had intended my reply to Bernard Duffy's post to be my last ever post,but perhaps I should explain.I felt patronised by the "old boy" comment and believe none of my posts during membership of this forum deserved this.Touchy,perhaps,but that is how it is.Thank you to all whose advice I have accepted,and all who 'walk the way'.I may meet some of you on the road.Goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back