• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where are the arrows?

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - September - November (2017)
I have arrived in Santiago and must say I found it to leave me guessing what way to go many times once in the city. I have to believe that others found this to be the case as well by watching pilgrims make their way into town the next day. I am sure you will let me know if I just missed the secret decoder ring.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree! The one place where you'd think there would be good signing! We got lost getting to the cathedral both times we walked in on the Frances. :rolleyes:
Hi , my wife was a star in missing arrows all over the Camino :cool: but not in Santiago.
Wish you well,Peter.

Team Santiago should take a few pointers from Team Pamplona on how to fix all the markings leading to the cathedral. Good job, Team Pamplona, and for Team Santiago, you have a lot of work to do. To all caminantes, good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found you can see the spires as it is on a small hill. But if you leave to walk to Finnesterre/Muxia get a map,the green arrows take you but the arrows change to yellow & back to green. Unless they have redone them since 2014. Once in Santiago it is easy to find maps

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Larger towns use sidwalk shells or the likes. Look!!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have arrived in Santiago and must say I found it to leave me guessing what way to go many times once in the city. I have to believe that others found this to be the case as well by watching pilgrims make their way into town the next day. I am sure you will let me know if I just missed the secret decoder ring.

One of the few things I used a smartphone (iPhone) for was to do a download of an offline google map of a city we would be in. Made it easy to find our way around unfamiliar streets to go to various sights and locations, and then back to our dwelling when time for bed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wish I'd realized the "end" of the Camino was the Plaza Obradoiro - I saw the signs saying the Cathedral entrance is on the other side, and went round by the Plaza Quintana. **Sigh** Missed the "end" until the following day, and watched other pilgrims have emotional endings and take pictures.

Amusing because I had carefully avoided imaging too much about the Camino experience, and limited planning in order to embrace whatever experiences came my way instead of being disappointed about what I missed. But my imagination had been running rampant about arriving in Santiago. The reality was not at all like the imagination - much more like real life instead of the movies ;)

After spending far too much time looking for arrows, shells and signs, I have officially given up on following "official" routes in cities. I walk by the arrows until I lose them, and then I go by GPS the rest of the way to the cathedral, if there is one.

For some reason, it's always much easier to find the way FROM the cathedral...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oh thank you I thought I was the only one! We cycled in and thought we were doing well until we got diverted up a hill by a no bikes sign. Hopelessly lost after that, even Siri was going round in circles haha
We got there in the end of course

The arrows nearly got me lost in Pamplona once I passed the park. At an intersection I saw an arrow pointing to my right so I took a right. Half a block down a man jumped up from his table out on the sidewalk and turned us back. The arrow indicated that we were to turn right for a few meters to get to the crosswalk where another arrow we missed told us to cross the street to continue in the direction we heading at first.

Logrono was tough. Besides the usual problems finding the directional markers in the city there was construction that meant the we had to cross over the street to the side where there were no markers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We just followed the crowd, until it dawned on us that it was not a crowd of pilgrims. “But they have backpacks...”, said my grandson. Then we broke out Google maps and found our way to the yellow brick road.

As I remember it, the signposts are good and clear in Compostela until Rua das Rodas, that divides the old and new town. Then you cross it and with a short walk will be in Praza (square) de Cervantes, where everybody get lost in the maze of alleys. But there is a thing about medieval cities: no matter where you walk, you always end in the main church.
Anyway, there are always hundreds of pilgrims in the city -they are quite obvious. Just ask...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depending on which route you follow to arrive at Santiago, way markings once you hit the city can be daunting. It is my understanding based on what many people have told me over the past few years that part of the reason is political.

The current head of the concello (mayor of the city) holds quite a bit of antipathy towards the Church, writ large. Sometimes, it amazes me that he and the concello do not respect the effect of pilgrims more. But, heck, it is Spain. Be it far from me to get involved in local politics...

I was reliably informed that, because the concello / city approved blueprints for the newly renovated Pilgrim Office at Rua da Carretas 33 read, "International Welcome Center for Pilgrims," he directed appropriate city departments to erect directional signs stating just that and nothing more, and in Gallego (Galician dialect), not Castellano (Standard Spanish.

So, try as you might to find the Pilgrim Office or the Oficina del Peregrinos, on a map or smart phone app. You will likely not find it. In 2016, Google Maps did not even show it. It does now.

For now, the best way to find the Pilgrim Office and the end of ALL the Caminos is to seek the Cathedral. The FRONT of the Cathedral is the West side. In early Christendom, all churches were aligned so the altar was facing more or less towards Jerusalem, or towards the East. The front of the Cathedral, or more precisely the bronze plaque in the center of Plaza Obradoiro is the geographic point from which all distances are measured.

So, and as a collateral point of interest, when I was last at Santiago, I used my Apple Maps app to calculate the distance from that bronze marker to my home address in South Florida. According to the app, the exact distance was 6591 Kilometers, as the bird flies.

I am even toying with using this fact to establish the "Camino de Playa de Palmera" (Camino de Palm Beach) to use this distance for off-season training purposes. My thought was to subtract the distance from La Coruna or Ferrol, then train each day to cover the distance across the Atlantic from Palm Beach, FL. From La Coruna or Ferrol, I would pick up the land trail into Santiago.

At an average of about 25 km per day, it will take 260 calendar days to "walk" from my home to La Coruna or Ferrol. At 30 Km daily (Florida IS very flat) it would still take about 217 days.

We shall see...

Last edited:
I am even toying with using this fact to establish the "Camino de Playa de Palmera" (Camino de Palm Beach) to use this distance for off-season training purposes. My thought was to subtract the distance from La Coruna or Ferrol, then train each day to cover the distance across the Atlantic from Pal Beach, FL. From La Coruna or Ferrol, I would pick up the land trail into Santiago.
Leonardo "walking" the Camino de Playa de Palmera:
Leonardo_walking_on_water.JPG
No yellow arrows to be found.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the days after I arrived in Santiago, I remember sitting outside a café and I would see pilgrims walk around a bend looking a little confused. I would just point and they would smile and continue on their way to the Cathedral. So, at that moment, I was the yellow arrow! :)

Last edited:
I wish I'd realized the "end" of the Camino was the Plaza Obradoiro - I saw the signs saying the Cathedral entrance is on the other side, and went round by the Plaza Quintana. **Sigh** Missed the "end" until the following day, and watched other pilgrims have emotional endings and take pictures.

Amusing because I had carefully avoided imaging too much about the Camino experience, and limited planning in order to embrace whatever experiences came my way instead of being disappointed about what I missed. But my imagination had been running rampant about arriving in Santiago. The reality was not at all like the imagination - much more like real life instead of the movies ;)
"Life is so constructed that an event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation." Charlotte Bronte, Villette

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I absolutely agree, we had to look, literally, high and low to find the arrows. Finally, we just saw the towers and walked towards them!

One of the few things I used a smartphone (iPhone) for was to do a download of an offline google map of a city we would be in. Made it easy to find our way around unfamiliar streets to go to various sights and locations, and then back to our dwelling when time for bed. :)
What a clever Idea! I'll have to figure out how to do that for my Camino next year. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am even toying with using this fact to establish the "Camino de Playa de Palmera" (Camino de Palm Beach) to use this distance for off-season training purposes. My thought was to subtract the distance from La Coruna or Ferrol, then train each day to cover the distance across the Atlantic from Palm Beach, FL. From La Coruna or Ferrol, I would pick up the land trail into Santiago.
At an average of about 25 km per day, it will take 260 calendar days to "walk" from my home to La Coruna or Ferrol. At 30 Km daily (Florida IS very flat) it would still take about 217 days.
We shall see...

Well, that seems as an interesting idea. I am becoming too sedentary...I doubt very much that I could manage even SJPP to Hunto in my current condition.
Maybe not the distance accross the sea, but a 790 km "Camino" (from Roncesvalles) to Santiago, along a year, by my neighborhood, from an historic church to another...and following my progresses in a map. That could be a good training.
Ah, as I envy those fellows that have the Camino almost literally at their home's door, in Spain or other European countries...On the other side, I think the practical difficulties makes it more special to me.

My first camino erroneously ended in the Praza da Inmaculada. I feel your pain! But did find some sort of marking all the way there. On other caminos I noticed that the last few hundred metres of the route into Santiago were not well marked. I think that might have been to avoid confusion with multiple routes coming in from different directions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santiago is tough! And there's that weird stretch coming into the city that you share with traffic.

A number of our "Camino Family" took their only falls of the trip as they caught their shoes on the cobblestones while trying to figure out where they they were going!

. . . A number of our "Camino Family" took their only falls of the trip as they caught their shoes on the cobblestones while trying to figure out where they they were going! . . .
This was exactly my number one concern. My recommendation is to come to a FULL stop, scan the surroundings, get the coordinates straight, then proceed. Thanks for reading, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Santiago is a lovely old city, with so much to see. It's easy to get distracted, it maybe that you just weren't paying attention... :)

I found you can see the spires as it is on a small hill. But if you leave to walk to Finnesterre/Muxia get a map,the green arrows take you but the arrows change to yellow & back to green. Unless they have redone them since 2014. Once in Santiago it is easy to find maps

I walked to Finisterre last month and found it reasonably well-marked. It must have improved in the last few years.

I only lost my way once, shortly after Negreira. But that was due to my own inattention!

Straight past the best bacon and eggs and service in Santiago instead of going gown the bottom and going right to get your compostela keep going straight Buen Camino and bon apertite

I got lost exiting several large cities and had to ask for directions. As for Santiago, the spire is pretty distinctive, but the tangle of small winding roads is confusing and the traffic is harsh. Although when I got to the plaza on my bike, I had to go over to policeman to ask how to get to the pilgrim's office where you can get your Compostela and lock up your bike. Afterwards, I saw some shells in the pavement, on walls, but the city center signs were probably the most significant.

Kudus to the Camino town committees for there brilliant sign marking did not miss one arrow on the France route from SJPDP including Santiago, loss count of the people who I had to call out to ahead who had gone past markers right in front of them. It is fatigue and inattentive actions that cause the majority of this.Most town have route diagram as you enter it, just by glancing at it you will get the General direction to stop the traders from misdirecting you. BC

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think someone in Leon is following this thread!
All of the markings leading in and out of the city have been redone and they are clearly visible.
Thanks Leon!

I think someone in Leon is following this thread!
All of the markings leading in and out of the city have been redone and they are clearly visible.
Thanks Leon!
I’m waiting to see if you can get through Saria and not get distracted from cars mounting barriers and such mate, if you walk up those stairs you have succeeded, if you don’t you can always pull the I’m Canadian a card lol

We had the same fun along with a Canadian Couple in finding the Cathedral when we arrived in Santiago.

It took a good 30 minutes to eventually get there, but it was well worth it when we did and very emotional with Dad.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I normally got lost in ALL of the larger towns. Logrono is my all time least favorite!! I think I asked four times last spring and it was my second trip through.
How about getting out of Leon? Ditto for asking for help. I found that exit the hardest. Fortunately Logroño was a piece of cake compared to Leon.

Team Santiago should take a few pointers from Team Pamplona on how to fix all the markings leading to the cathedral. Good job, Team Pamplona, and for Team Santiago, you have a lot of work to do. To all caminantes, good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Agreed, Pamplona's markers are excellent. They even point out different ways for cyclists and walkers.

Let's see... getting lost in cities...

Burgos. I followed the old, industrial, "ugly" way into town. That part was fine and well marked, but once I got into the downtown area, I lost the arrows. Brierley's map was of no help. I more or less stumbled upon the correct street which led me to a closed albergue. From there, a helpful local directed me to the open one and to the cathedral.

Leon. I don't recall any issue finding the albergue or cathedral, but I did get a bit lost while wandering around. And by a bit lost, I mean had no idea where I was or how to get back to where I needed to be. Luckily, I recognized a couple of pilgrims and followed them.

Sarria. Got into town and began following the tiles. But instead of an arrow, they are marked with a shell. Followed them the wrong way for a bit...

Santiago. If I remember, we didn't have any problem getting to the cathedral, but it was such a long slog into town.

,Not everybody has a good sense of direction,I missed one marker and went about 25 meters extra but becaus the direction was not West I stopped immediately turned around found the arrow and resumed my correct path.
I passed on my secret to a couple of American girls of having a little compass on the top of my pole to confirm my direction and they were thrilled to find this worked brilliantly.
Working for 30 years without GPS navigation in the Aust Army I did most of my navigating on map and compass bearings and in the jungle on dead reckonin
You can also get through most towns and cities using your iPhone or Android gps if you really need it when set on walk but the best tool is the good ole mouth ask and you shall receive directions from every lovely friendly local. No language barrier beats their big smile and their hand directions to get you back on the way. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back