• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Where are the Ditch Pigs this year?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Hey, @Rebekah Scott and Co.- normally by now we'd have heard rustling in the bushes. Are you all sneaking around out there, as moles pretending to be ordinary pilgrims?

Hmmmm...you'll eventually be uncovered if that's the case, because some of us want to offer support! And we're missing the yearly amusing stories.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
They are not hiding, per se. My guess is that they are working hard, then crashing from fatigue in the evening. Been there, done that.

I wonder if the newer, folding, picker-grabber "claw" tools I contributed last summer are working well? In the past, we used a one piece, non-folding grabber tool. These are good because they can be folded in half and carried easily on the side of a rucksack.

I am curious to know if they are working better, worse, or the same.

Where are the Ditch Pigs? All have reported "home, safe & content".

Where were we? Well we were mostly between Leon & Astorga. Our observers and scouts had told us there was work to be done and they were right.

We "pigged" from just outside Leon: Virgen del Camino to the edge of Astorga via Villadangos; San Martin; Hospital de Orbigo & San Justo racking up some 37km. Same race, different track via Fresno; Chozas de Abajo; Villar de Mazarife; Villavante & Santibanez. 40.5Km. A couple of Pigs cleared the 13km from Caldadilla de la Cueza through to Moratinos 'cos the sun was out and they didn't need to be "home" till Saturday. So we cleaned the senda, and we cleaned the highway, and we cleaned the picnic spots and the toilet spots too. We met locals who told us they cleaned Camino too as it passed through their village or passed their finca. And they did. We could tell when we hit a stretch that someone else was working.

So, 90km this year. 90km described by a veteran pig as "I [...] can honestly say this was the toughest, longest, most grubby stretch of Camino I have taken part in". The pigs this year were the usual mix of Spaniards, expat Spanish residents, tinkers and honest Scots ( ;)) though anyone is welcome. We were kindly sponsored by various Chapters of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. Warmly sheltered by Christine in Villares de Orbigo and Reb, Paddy and Ollie at the Peaceable. We paid our airfares and train fares and for the occasional Orujo (;)). We picked up some scratches, bruises, aches & strains and came to the conclusion that we hope that we can do it all again next time.

OK. Some of the stuff we cleared was historic. Some of it was almost archeological. But pigs know that shite attracts shite so if we clear it all away then a little less will accumulate a little more slowly in the future (at least thats the hope and intention).

So. There you go. Another year in the ditch. We know we can't clean the Camino but we know that we have left a bit of Camino cleaner than it was before.

Some random photos below:

WMJE4644.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • ALOV2182.jpg
    ALOV2182.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 64
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where are the Ditch Pigs? All have reported "home, safe & content".

Where were we? Well we were mostly between Leon & Astorga. Our observers and scouts had told us there was work to be done and they were right.

We "pigged" from just outside Leon: Virgen del Camino to the edge of Astorga via Villadangos; San Martin; Hospital de Orbigo & San Justo racking up some 37km. Same race, different track via Fresno; Chozas de Abajo; Villar de Mazarife; Villavante & Santibanez. 40.5Km. A couple of Pigs cleared the 13km from Caldadilla de la Cueza through to Moratinos 'cos the sun was out and they didn't need to be "home" till Saturday. So we cleaned the senda, and we cleaned the highway, and we cleaned the picnic spots and the toilet spots too. We met locals who told us they cleaned Camino too as it passed through their village or passed their finca. And they did. We could tell when we hit a stretch that someone else was working.

So, 90km this year. 90km described by a veteran pig as "I [...] can honestly say this was the toughest, longest, most grubby stretch of Camino I have taken part in". The pigs this year were the usual mix of Spaniards, expat Spanish residents, tinkers and honest Scots ( ;)) though anyone is welcome. We were kindly sponsored by various Chapters of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. Warmly sheltered by Christine in Villares de Orbigo and Reb, Paddy and Ollie at the Peaceable. We paid our airfares and train fares and for the occasional Orujo (;)). We picked up some scratches, bruises, aches & strains and came to the conclusion that we hope that we can do it all again next time.

OK. Some of the stuff we cleared was historic. Some of it was almost archeological. But pigs know that shite attracts shite so if we clear it all away then a little less will accumulate a little more slowly in the future (at least thats the hope and intention).

So. There you go. Another year in the ditch. We know we can't clean the Camino but we know that we have left a bit of Camino cleaner than it was before.

Some random photos below:

View attachment 67266
A positively glowing and detailed writeup on the accomplishments of this year's ditch pig's! Glad VN asked about it so we all can be "in the know"!

An 'honest Scot'? Heaven forbid! ;)Yes, it was a busy week with much work done. Thank you to our sponsors. Here are 'before and after' photos to show a little of what your generosity achieves, and a third to remind us how beautiful our Camino is.IMG_20191126_090411.jpgIMG_20191126_100300.jpgIMG_20191125_173654.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is Ditch Pigging by invitation only?
Nah. You just need the time & inclination, a strong stomach and a strange sense of humour.

To be truthful what the Ditch Pigs need, or more precisely what the camino needs, is more pigs in more places, more often. This herd gathers in late November, when the vegetation has died back and exposed the sins of the many. We gather in Palencia because @Rebekah Scott has the drive to pull it all together and her husband retains sufficient tolerance of us all. Together, with a couple of vehicles, some friendly hospitalero/as, sponsorship (tools, bags, fuel, hi-viz, accommodation all cost) and willing hearts we can clean a 100km or so of camino in a good year.

Anyone can be a Ditch Pig, anytime. Just grab a balsa descarga, fill it & carry it to the next dumpster. You could just pick up water bottles, Aquarius cans and Bocadillo wraps. You don't have to deal with the paper roses and other sanitary waste like some of us do. No-one can clean the camino. Anyone can clean 50, 100 or 500 metres or clean up a picnic place. A set of salad-tongs or a rubber glove and a few waste bags are all you need.

Actually, maybe, Ditch Pigging is by invitation only - so, everyone is invited!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola @ Tincatinker - some years back (2 or 3 I think) an Australian Pilgrim emplored all Oz pilgrims to carry an extra large shopping/garbage bag and pick up any light rubbish (papers etc) you see on the Camino .(I would suggest that rubber gloves might also be useful).
I have a plan to do the Porto in Sept and then from Santiago walk to Muxia (and maybe back); followed by a stint in the Pilgrim Office (last two weeks in Oct or first week in Nov). If it all comes of I might be able to have some days with the "pigs",'.
Big congrats to Rebekah and all the volunteers.

I didn't post a lot about the Pigs in advance this year because we were fully funded by October, and I didn't want to be repetitive and/or be accused of "self promotion," as sometimes happens. We have been at this for many years, and people who hang out here for a long time might find us tiresome.
(which says more about them than us!)

I welcome all volunteers, but I warn them each in advance: The work is very physical and days are long. If you have health troubles or tire easily, this will not be ideal for you. As time goes on and we expand our reach, your ability to speak and understand Spanish is increasingly important (we have Spanish volunteers without English skills, which makes this ideal for people who'd like to sharpen their Castellano!)

I think six people is the ideal number for our purposes, so if you want to Pig next year, please let me know at the end of next summer if you want to join. Slots fill up quickly!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, those vests!
And wow, or rather, euwwww. That is one disgusting pile of human thoughtlessness - followed by an amazing transformation. What a piece of work!
Welldone to you all, and heartfelt thanks.

Anyone can be a Ditch Pig, anytime.
Yup! Absolutely. @SYates and I pigged parts of the Ingles in 2018, and this year she lent me a very cool and very light collapsable pick-up claw so I could easily do a bit of cleaning as I walked - though where I walked was mostly litter-free. It's the well--traveled paths that seem to attract the litterbugs.

We have been at this for many years, and people who hang out here for a long time might find us tiresome.
Haha. Yeah. right...
(I have sworn off FB, so am very happy to get news here. I may not be the only one...)

No FB for me either, VN...never have signed up. I can't imagine how I'd get any work done at home if I added it to the time I already spend on this forum! 😲

I didn't post a lot about the Pigs in advance this year because we were fully funded by October, and I didn't want to be repetitive and/or be accused of "self promotion," as sometimes happens. We have been at this for many years, and people who hang out here for a long time might find us tiresome.
(which says more about them than us!)

I welcome all volunteers, but I warn them each in advance: The work is very physical and days are long. If you have health troubles or tire easily, this will not be ideal for you. As time goes on and we expand our reach, your ability to speak and understand Spanish is increasingly important (we have Spanish volunteers without English skills, which makes this ideal for people who'd like to sharpen their Castellano!)

I think six people is the ideal number for our purposes, so if you want to Pig next year, please let me know at the end of next summer if you want to join. Slots fill up quickly!

Great work @Rebekah Scott and her Pigs!
For those who can't join because of time, distance, health or whatever, can we at least donate to the funding? Is it this link? and the button at the bottom of the page?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.