• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I buy 35mm professional film??

dalech

Hi there

I am starting the Camino in a couple of weeks and, like everyone else, I'm trying to reduce the weight of my pack! I am a photographer and I'm taking my film camera and am wondering if anyone can tell me how easy it is to get professional film in the cities/large towns along the Camino Frances??

If I know I can buy more along the way, obviously I don't need to bring as much with me. But I also don't want to spend hours and hours searching for places to buy it....dilemma!

I would really appreciate any help/advice anyone has to offer - And yes, I know digital is more practical BUT I am working on a particular project and would prefer to use film. I am also taking a compact digital for 'happy snaps' ;)
The film I will be wanting is Ilford Black and White and Kodak Portra.

Thanks so much in advance!! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think you'll find it amazingly easy of course it helps if you can ask around in spanish...

There were camera shops in Burgos (on the main road you walk in on) and in Leon. It's possible you'll find camera shops in Logrono and Astorga and of course Santiago. Along most of the route though you will be walking through smaller towns and villages, there will be shops catering for pilgrim needs (i remember seeing memory cards & batteries on sale and maybe camera films?) but trying to find a specific type of film may be more tricky. I don't think many people use film cameras now and most people on the camino seem to use their phones.

Bear in mind also that trying to find a specific item is not always easy en-route, you will probably be walking in the morning when the shops are open, when you reach a big town (if you're the type that sleeps in big towns) it will probably be siesta time and the shops are shut, then you will have a couple of hours in the evening to try to find the right shop, this all depending on you walking into the right size town/city at a time/on a day when the shops are open... I'm not trying to put you off, i've never been looking for camera film, maybe there's loads available? But I do know i walked from Villamajor de Montjardin (where my camera broke) to Burgos without a functioning camera last year before I found a camera shop that was open.

I would take a good supply with you (weight issues aside) and buen camino! :D

Hi the Spanish are just as into photography as everyone else. I'm sure in the main cities along the route you will find photography shops which will supply 35 mm film. But if in doubt e mail the local tourist offices in advance. You could also post supplies ahead to be picked up at various points if you wanted to ensure that you had sufficient. The Lostphotographer and Javier from Madrid are both photographers and users of the Forum PM them for advice from other professionals.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As a film user having walked the Camino, here is my take on it.
Film is not particularly heavy or bulky. I took 10 rolls of 36 with me and then chose my shots. I had to budget myself to 10 or 12 pictures per day. It was a matter of making them count.

This may be very different from the professional who choose one subject and click off a dozen or more frames.

I enjoy finding Camino photo shows on the WEB and look at every picture with a warm heart, but some of these shows are filled with redundant pictures of boring stuff. They are of interest to few other than the pilgrim who shot them. I prefer to see 100 pictures selected for their merit than every frame by a person who took 20+ photos per day.

Think of how easy it is to purchase the specific film you want in a city at home. I live in a city of 500,000 and can only think of one store where I would ask for the film you want. Camera stores just aren't stocking the variety of films they did 10 years ago.

The Camino is rich in photo subjects and a person with an eye for a good photo will not be disappointed. I hope you have a good Camino.

David, Victoria, Canada.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You could send rolls of film ahead to yourself to a number of towns en route.

Write your name on the parcel as it appears in your passport as you will have to produce ID when collecting from the Post Office. Remember, most Correos are closed on Sundays and close early on Saturdays.

eg:
Dale. C. H.
Lista de Correos
31100 Puenta la Reina
Navarra

Lista de Correos
31080 Pamplona (Navarra)
31100 Puenta la Reina (Navarra)
26080 Logroño (Navarra)
09080 Burgos
24080 León
24700 Astorga (León)
24400 Ponferrada (León)
27600 Sarria (Lugo)
15780 Santiago de Compostela (A Coruña)

Thank you SO much to everyone who has replied - all suggestions are good ones! I think I will do as most of you have suggested and post some film ahead. Much better than wasting time searching for film in the towns - I'm sure there will much more enjoyable ways to use any spare time we may have.

Thanks so much again for taking the time to reply to my post :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back