• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I find Walter Starkie's "The Road to Santiago"?

Sam Hardman

Time of past OR future Camino
2006, 2007 Camino Francés
2017 SJPdP - Belorado
2018 SJPdP - Fisterra/Muxía
2019 Camino Primitivo
I would love to read this book to learn what the Camino was like before it's modern revival but I can't find it anywhere. Amazon has second hand copies but 46 pounds is a bit beyond my budget. There was a reprint in 2003 but I can't find any copies for sale.

Given it's now over 60 years old I also thought maybe it would be out of copyright and there would be a free or cheap downloadable version available but I can't find anything.

Does anyone know where I might find this book?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Amazon search shows it available for 502.00 USD

:-(

It is available from the library here in Pittsburgh, PA, USA!!! Might be in a special collection as the electronic card has instructions to "ask for assistance".

My Amazon search shows it available for 502.00 USD

:-(

It is available from the library here in Pittsburgh, PA, USA!!! Might be in a special collection as the electronic card has instructions to "ask for assistance".
That is a crazy price! I checked my local library's catalogue and they don't have it unfortunately :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mr Starkies book will remain in copyright until at least 2026' fifty years after his death. If the Starkie estate re-publish they might choose to re-assert their rights of ownership. If enough people write to John Murray's they'll maybe reprint the 2003 edition.
Meanwhile try your library or the library of a further education establishment, or throw yourself on the mercies of the "collectible books" market.:0(

I have found many books that were not available on the market (or only for crazy amounts) in second hand/antiques stores lying on some shelf all dusty. And for acceptable prices. Maybe try that also?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was lucky recently to find in a second hand bookshop , Walter Starkies " Raggle Taggle in Spain " his account of wandering on foot with his violin across Northern Spain,,,hoping to find his Road to Santiago one day !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is a crazy price! I checked my local library's catalogue and they don't have it unfortunately :(
I realize you've already got the book but others who have a similar experience in a library might want to try asking if they can get the book through inter-library loan. Many libraries have reciprocal agreements with networks of other libraries that enable them to bring in books that are not in their own collection. You just have to ask and fill in a form.

I realize you've already got the book but others who have a similar experience in a library might want to try asking if they can get the book through inter-library loan. Many libraries have reciprocal agreements with networks of other libraries that enable them to bring in books that are not in their own collection. You just have to ask and fill in a form.
Speaking of which country???
I guess USA.

Speaking of which country???
I guess USA.

I don't know which country @David Tallan is posting from but here in the UK we also have an inter-library loan system. I have used it myself occasionally for particularly rare or expensive books which my local library does not stock. Quite how willing local library staff are to use it on your behalf does vary from place to place though. Sadly library services are often amongst the first to be cut back in hard economic times :(

Good luck with your search, in the mean time
"The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural ...
Book by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson" is a very good book on what your looking for.

If you go to worldcat.org and indicate your location it will tell you the nearest libraries with the book. Also, try addall.com, which has some used book stores not available through Amazon. It’s a wonderful book!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just ordered a used, but in good condition, copy of the first American Edition (1957) from a used bookseller. My wife is not going to be please...but she has her passions and I have mine...

The Road to Santiago: Pilgrims of St. James / Starkie, Walter
New York: E. P. Dutton and Company, 1957, Hardcover...

Once I get it and read it, I am open to loaning out for postage. I mail it to you. You mail it back. Send me a P/C with direct email, contact info, etc.

As I am in Florida, I think I need to keep the loan offer to the Continental US. I really don't want to chance losing the book in a pissing contest with customs officials in Canada, or the EU. Been there, done that...

Once I have the book, I will consider loan requests on a FIFO basis, chronologically. Presently that I am thinking that a one-month overall loan period would be good. I loan it to you via the post. You return it not later than 30 days later. I figure that provides a good 2 -3 weeks to read the book. At 339 pages, I can get through it in a day or two. the sooner you return it, the sooner the next person gets it... Whaddya'll think?

Also, I am thinking that once I exhaust my American loan requests, I might consider leaving the book with a friend living at Santiago to do the "loan by post thing" on the EU side of the pond. Let's first see if the book gets here, then gets returned from the initial loanees...

Hope this helps.

Just checked my State of Illinois library system, and there are 8 copies available in different university libraries. I just put in for a copy. We may be dismal failures at public transportation, but we sure can do public libraries!

I got it thru inter-library loan thru my public library in Seattle. Delighted to know ILL system works in so many countries!!

I also found The PILGRIM'S GUIDE TO THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO by ELÍAS VALIÑA SAMPEDRO thru the Inter Library Loan system.

I've also found bookfinder.com invaluable - have found books - new & used - all over the world.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you go to worldcat.org and indicate your location it will tell you the nearest libraries with the book. Also, try addall.com, which has some used book stores not available through Amazon. It’s a wonderful book!

These are both really useful websites to know. Thanks for the suggestions!

Good luck with your search, in the mean time
"The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural ...
Book by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson" is a very good book on what your looking for.
I have Gitlitz and Davidson's book already actually and agree it's great! I learnt a lot from that before I set off on my Camino last August

I just ordered a used, but in good condition, copy of the first American Edition (1957) from a used bookseller. My wife is not going to be please...but she has her passions and I have mine...

The Road to Santiago: Pilgrims of St. James / Starkie, Walter
New York: E. P. Dutton and Company, 1957, Hardcover...

Once I get it and read it, I am open to loaning out for postage. I mail it to you. You mail it back. Send me a P/C with direct email, contact info, etc.

As I am in Florida, I think I need to keep the loan offer to the Continental US. I really don't want to chance losing the book in a pissing contest with customs officials in Canada, or the EU. Been there, done that...

Once I have the book, I will consider loan requests on a FIFO basis, chronologically. Presently that I am thinking that a one-month overall loan period would be good. I loan it to you via the post. You return it not later than 30 days later. I figure that provides a good 2 -3 weeks to read the book. At 339 pages, I can get through it in a day or two. the sooner you return it, the sooner the next person gets it... Whaddya'll think?

Also, I am thinking that once I exhaust my American loan requests, I might consider leaving the book with a friend living at Santiago to do the "loan by post thing" on the EU side of the pond. Let's first see if the book gets here, then gets returned from the initial loanees...

Hope this helps.
This is a great idea! Too bad I'm in the UK, but it seems there are lots of other people that want to read this too who might be interested.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
www.abebooks.com is a site that aggregates thousands of second hand bookshops around the world. It has four second hand copies up to USD60 plus postage. It was five copies before my visit :) . I have bought hundreds of books on this site and found them safe and reliable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would love to read this book to learn what the Camino was like before it's modern revival

I’m glad you’ve now found a copy at an affordable price, but if you are looking for an informative account of the Camino before the advent of mass tourism, I fear you may be disappointed. This is not a criticism of the author’s wandering scholarship - Starkie was inter alia a professor of Romance languages at my own university - but an observation that his travel writing reflects his eccentric personality and eclectic interests. He wears his learning very lightly, so it’s a lively and highly engaging account, but it’s idiosyncratic and reads at times like gullible travels. Enjoy it at your leisure!

I’m glad you’ve now found a copy at an affordable price, but if you are looking for an informative account of the Camino before the advent of mass tourism, I fear you may be disappointed. This is not a criticism of the author’s wandering scholarship - Starkie was inter alia a professor of Romance languages at my own university - but an observation that his travel writing reflects his eccentric personality and eclectic interests. He wears his learning very lightly, so it’s a lively and highly engaging account, but it’s idiosyncratic and reads at times like gullible travels. Enjoy it at your leisure!

This is good to know, although it sounds like a book I would enjoy in any case. I love travel books and am looking forward to reading this!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For all of you looking for out of print books, try bookfinder.com. It searches different outlets for the wanted volume. This Starkie search had both US and UK sources.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would love to read this book to learn what the Camino was like before it's modern revival but I can't find it anywhere. Amazon has second hand copies but 46 pounds is a bit beyond my budget. There was a reprint in 2003 but I can't find any copies for sale.

Given it's now over 60 years old I also thought maybe it would be out of copyright and there would be a free or cheap downloadable version available but I can't find anything.

Does anyone know where I might find this book?

I have the 1957 version and would like to find it a good home. It is a withdrawn library book. Let me know if still interested. Liz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am still interested :) Did you want to sell it?

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.