• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I fly to ... direct from Santiago?

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr & Sep 2013, Apr 2014, 2015, Sep 2022, 2023
Forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question.. I have not found it on the forum... My son and I are completing our camino next April, 2015.. walking from Santiago to Finisterre (have already walked SJPP to Santiago over last 12 months).... just wondering ... when we return to Santiago we have 4-5 days up our sleeve before returning to Australia and would like to explore some more of amazing Spain... does anyone know which airports (airlines) we can fly into directly from Santiago? Would love to see Sans Sebastian, but cannot find any direct flights... yes, Barcelona is an option (but we have been to this wonderful city 3 times over last 2 years and would like to explore further ... likewise we have been to Madrid).... is Seville an option... who would have thought this would be so hard to research! Thanks in advance, Jo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can fly to san sebastian with one short stopover in Madrid. With IBERIA It will take about 3,5 to 4,5 hours total, depending on time of flight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a Iberia flight from SDC to Bilbao (at around e200) taking an hour and then you can bus to San Sebastian (another hour). Alsa bus SDC to San Sebastian takes 13.5 hours and costs e60. The thing to consider is that you then have to get from San Sebastion to a suitable airport. Ryanair fly to Seville and Valencia (or even Malaga for a bus to Granada) from SDC at quite cheap rates.

April is a beautiful time of the year to visit Spain, more specifically Southern Spain. If you have not visited the Andalucia Region, you are definitely missing a major part of Spain's soul! :) Seville is a MUST, train on to Cordova to see spectacular Moorish architecture, or Granada with the fascinacing Alhambra and the adjacent Gardens of the Generalife (you will feel in the midst of one of The Arabian Night's tales!). In Seville, I love to stay at either Hosteria del Laurel or La Casa de la Juderias. They are both small hotels, tons of character, located at Barrio de Santa Cruz, very close to the Cathedral. I have also rented a car at Estacion Santa Justa and taken a day trip up along the Route of the White Villages; my favorite is Vejer de la Frontera and Grazalema. Just breathtaking scenery and fascinating history.

Holy Week in 2015 will be 29 March-5 April and that is HIGH-HIGH Season in Andalucia. So long as your dates are outside that range, it should be much easier to plan your holiday. Have a great time! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, what a painful decision you have to make! :)
I'd vote for Seville., with single days dedicated to Cordoba and Granada (not far), too. It is another kind of Spain. You are going to love it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question.. I have not found it on the forum... My son and I are completing our camino next April, 2015.. walking from Santiago to Finisterre (have already walked SJPP to Santiago over last 12 months).... just wondering ... when we return to Santiago we have 4-5 days up our sleeve before returning to Australia and would like to explore some more of amazing Spain... does anyone know which airports (airlines) we can fly into directly from Santiago? Would love to see Sans Sebastian, but cannot find any direct flights... yes, Barcelona is an option (but we have been to this wonderful city 3 times over last 2 years and would like to explore further ... likewise we have been to Madrid).... is Seville an option... who would have thought this would be so hard to research! Thanks in advance, Jo

Hi yogaflowjo

I am not able to assist with your query but I notice that you are Melbournians like myself. I see that you have walked in April on two occasions, I am planning to do the pilgrim walk in 2015, can you advise what the weather was like in April/May as I wish to avoid the hot weather. Did you encounter much rain when you hiked the trail?

Also, what type of accommodation did you stay at and what was it like.

Hope you can advise,

Cheers

ossiemate

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all for such wonderful recommendations... very helpful. I just love this forum!! Ossiemate, your question is one I can help you with ... "the weather will do what the weather will do". In April 2013 (SJPP to Logrono) we had snow, rain, gale force wind, and landslides... In September 2013 (Logrono - Leon) we had warm to hot weather with a couple of days intense heat... I have photos of the two of us walking along hot and dusty roads with orange dirt that would give the Nullarbor Plains a run for its money ... April 2014 (Astorga to Santiago) we enjoyed perfect spring weather, blossom scent filling the air, blue sky and sunshine with barely a hint of a shower one overcast morning ... and that was in Galicia which is famous for the rainfall ... so I think how long is a piece of string sums it up nicely. Its all great fun.

Thanks everyone once again ... yes Seville does look amazing ... Jo

Hi yogaflowjo,
Have you considered catching a train up to San Sebastian or wherever it is you finally decide to go? When I finished walking the meseta from Burgos to Leon in early January this year I caught a train from Leon which took me to Vigo on the Atlantic coast - it took about 6 hours from memory. From there I headed down to Porto in Portugal. That train trip across the north of Spain was absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful. Whenever possible I travelled by train in Spain and Portugal (although at times I had no choice but too catch a bus). I find train stations are usually central to the city and there is no hanging about in airports etc. and you get to see so much more of the country you are visiting. I have not been to San Sebastian (yet!) but my 3 daughters really love the place and go there every time they go to Spain. As mentioned by others above, Sevilla is indeed lovely and so is Granada - try to latch on to one of the 'free' walking tours in any of these cities - they are always very interesting and enlightening.
Buen Camino
Jill (fellow Victorian)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back