• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I get a map for my phone

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've used wise pilgrim apps for canmino Frances and ingles. Both excellent . They have one for Norte too. Buene camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's a very small charge - cost of a cafe con leche. I found that well worth it for the reassurance of the gps, and on the occasions when I had drifted off route it showed me exactly where I was and how to get back on track.

I really like Gronze! Much useful information.
This is not actually a map though.

On a well marked route I find the sketch maps and elevation plans on gronze enough. I have never walked a camino and needed a proper topographical map. There are probably less travelled routes where one may be advisable, but I don't think the Norte is one of them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
for the Camino Norte?
You lost your phone on del Norte and now you need maps to find it???
Just joking.

All of the above posters gave you more or less useful advice. Search. That way you'll learn much more than just with asking.

Buen Camino!

On a well marked route I find the sketch maps and elevation plans on gronze enough. I have never walked a camino and needed a proper topographical map. There are probably less travelled routes where one may be advisable, but I don't think the Norte is one of them.

I love gronze!

Elevations grades perfecto! Sketch maps wonderful!

Descriptions of albergues! Fabulous.

I've relied on Gronze the whole way.

Sometimes I've been a bit turned around, particularly in these small towns. And I noticed los otros perigrinos using cool map apps.

I haven't found such a precise route map on Gronze.

So I thought I'd ask here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In towns Google Maps works well. You can download pieces of it for use offline, if you don't want to eat all your data. Mainly I look for the Camino route out of a town the night before, so it's easy in the morning, when the yellow street lights tend to hide the yellow arrows a bit.

But honestly - the people I have walked with who were highly reliant on mapping apps tended to get lost very often. They get over reliant on the app and did not use their eyes, ears and common sense. I once stood under an overpass with a nice guy who was telling me we were going wrong. He was convinced. I pointed out the footprints and bike tyre prints on the ground, in a place where no non-pilgrim would have a need to walk or cycle. Another time a map app addict was genuinely surprised when while shopping in a small town we turned left twice and we ended up back in the town square. He thought I had some ninja sense of direction.

When you use google maps though, how is the camino El Norte marked?

For me it only shows my location, which is thpically in some forest. Doesn't show me which cow path to take at all.

Also, what some people may not realize, when you leave in the dark, it's practically impossible to see any arrows for a few hours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For the sheer beauty of them there's an app called "Mapas de Espagna" IGN - topography is shown in countours and old fashioned shading.

Then go to http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Camino-Santiago-Map-Google-Earth-Camino.htm where you will find .kmz files for pretty much every camino. Download the one you want and open it in IGN/Mapas.

When I wasn't well over the past winter I'd sometimes "walk" the Frances on a 10" tablet sometimes even remembering individual buildings. More poetic than GoogleEarth :)

You might want to research maps.me. It is a free iPhone app ... you can download maps for offline use.
Thanks for the heads up on Maps.me I downloaded it to my phone and was amazed at the detail in the maps I downloaded for Porto through to Santiago I am guessing next month when I use them I will be able to see my location with GPS thanks again Alan

Don't imagine you've had time to play with maps me yet but the detail is impressive. We overlayed a route of the CF on the base maps and then bookmarked where we were staying (be careful - some internet sites - yes, you Booking.com - have wildly inaccurate co-ordinates). Here's where we stayed in Leon (red lollipop with a star on it) and the CF passing nearby (red line)Leon.png
If you use the magnifying glass (bottom left corner) and choose a catagory (food, hotels, wifi, ATM) then choose "view on map" you get this
Porto.png
The blue measles are, in this case, food outlets.

Good isn't it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't imagine you've had time to play with maps me yet but the detail is impressive. We overlayed a route of the CF on the base maps and then bookmarked where we were staying (be careful - some internet sites - yes, you Booking.com - have wildly inaccurate co-ordinates). Here's where we stayed in Leon (red lollipop with a star on it) and the CF passing nearby (red line)View attachment 35897
If you use the magnifying glass (bottom left corner) and choose a catagory (food, hotels, wifi, ATM) then choose "view on map" you get this
View attachment 35898
The blue measles are, in this case, food outlets.

Good isn't it?
Yes Jeff it's an excellent resource .I have played around with it briefly, enough to realise how handy it is to locate my prebooked accommodation in the larger towns, and can use an easily found landmark like a cathedral our train or bus station to get from A to B in that town. I just need to figure out how to overlay the Camino route over the map but the problem is I am using the costal then switching to the interior at Caminha but I am not concerned as the arrows will guide me

Yes Jeff it's an excellent resource .I have played around with it briefly, enough to realise how handy it is to locate my prebooked accommodation in the larger towns, and can use an easily found landmark like a cathedral our train or bus station to get from A to B in that town. I just need to figure out how to overlay the Camino route over the map but the problem is I am using the costal then switching to the interior at Caminha but I am not concerned as the arrows will guide me
That's easy enough. Find a .kmz file for the route you want and get a copy onto the device where you have maps.me (I usually email it to myself). When you click on the attachment to open it you'll be asked what app you want to use, choose maps.me and voila!
As Linkster says a few posts above, there's a resource where you can get all of the Spanish caminos in one kmz file - not much use for Portugal probably but you can test it out.
I'd send you my route but it's on my normal computer which is in for repair at present. We didn't use it for navigation, just finding our hotels each evening.

Thank you for the link Linkster
@linkster & @Jeff Crawley thanks guys that was easy just followed the link and opened in maps.me and hey presto I have the maps I need ,the costal keeps on going to A Guarda from Caminha and not to Valenca but picks it back up at Valenca and no bother I just keep the river on my left. Very happy with my find concidering I had not even heard of maps.me 24 hours ago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bit late for the OP and you can't overlay KMZ filez I know, but Navmii is a free SatNav app that can be downloaded from Google Play. You can download the required countries maps (WiFi is preferable and cheapest as you will be downloading the entire countries map) and it can be used offline so no data charges. I saved various POI's (Points of Interest) as favourites just in case I got lost and wanted to get back on track, and it also has quite a comprehensive list of POI's of its own which are also searchable offline.
Got to admit though, that Maps.me looks pretty good.

Last edited:
I found some other android apps on play, see attached photo. I used the English way BASIC for planning but didn't really use it on the walk, but others may find it useful:)
Screenshot_20180627-201940_Google Play Store.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back