• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Another year, another thread for local walks in 2017.
Thanks to everyone who contributed last year.
Looking forward to your pictures..

Went for a early walk today..getting rid off all those extra calories. OH made a lovely tapas menu yesterday.

To open skies and unpaved roads!
Happy New Year.

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_191009.jpg
    IMG_20161231_191009.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
  • 20170101_114439.jpg
    20170101_114439.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perfect walking weather here, clear blue skies and polar winds. Unfortunately I am just finishing a course of antibiotics and walking is off the agenda, otherwise I would be in the Burren.

Ai hope you are better soon. Well at least, if you drink it, you can take some alcohol now and toast to the New Year!

Perfect walking weather here, clear blue skies and polar winds. Unfortunately I am just finishing a course of antibiotics and walking is off the agenda, otherwise I would be in the Burren.
Get better soon, wish you well.

Went for a early walk today..getting rid off all those extra calories. OH made a lovely tapas menu yesterday.

Happy New Year.

Our local walks this year have been Dorset Coast (UK), Isle of Wight, Solent Coast, and rural Dorset. Building up a training plan for Camino later this year. Anyone else in this part of the world?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our local walks this year have been Dorset Coast (UK), Isle of Wight, Solent Coast, and rural Dorset. Building up a training plan for Camino later this year. Anyone else in this part of the world?

Not too far from you, there are several of us in Devon. If you like to join us when we get together you will be very welcome. (Camigos 2016 thread here)
I have just started a new thread for this year 'Camigos in S Devon 2017' where any future dates etc will be posted. Look forward to meeting you maybe in 2017

Get well soon Wayfarer Happy healthy New Year to you .

Not too far from you, there are several of us in Devon. If you like to join us when we get together you will be very welcome. (Camigos 2016 thread here)
I have just started a new thread for this year 'Camigos in S Devon 2017' where any future dates etc will be posted. Look forward to meeting you maybe in 2017

Thanks for the heads up Tia missed you in Devon last year in September too busy with appointments, will see if we can make it this year .
b

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Our local trails in the Sierra Nevada mountains at Lake Tahoe, Nevada in winter are done on snowshoes. At Chickadee Ridge the wintering flocks of Chickadees are fearless, they land on your shoulders, head, and eat out of your hand.

Attachments

• All God's Children 2.jpg
    All God's Children 2.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Tahoe scene.jpg
    Tahoe scene.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • On the Trail.jpg
    On the Trail.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 32
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Happy New Year Everyone! A wonderful (very cold) New Year's walk along the ocean paths near Spanish Banks in Vancouver. It's been unusually cold and snowy here this winter. Enjoying it though!

Attachments

• Spanish Banks.jpg
    Spanish Banks.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Spanish Banks (1).jpg
    Spanish Banks (1).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Spanish Banks (3).jpg
    Spanish Banks (3).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 43
  • Spanish Banks (4).jpg
    Spanish Banks (4).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 36

Next time you venture to the Dorset Coast and you want company give me a shout and we'll join you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since 2011 the Via Brabantica has an alternative route which goes through my hometown, Breda, and continues south to Belgium and ultimately SDC. I just found a familiar, albeit weathered sticker at the start of one of my favorite short walks.

2017-01-06 15.04.02.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Purky is that the one that goes to Vessem?

Nope, this one heads to Galder, Zundert, Kapellen and Antwerpen. The one through Vessem is the Via Monastica. I walked the Monastica from Jodoigne (Geldenaken) on, where the Brabantica intersects with the Monastica.

Nope, this one heads to Galder, Zundert, Kapellen and Antwerpen. The one through Vessem is the Via Monastica. I walked the Monastica from Jodoigne (Geldenaken) on, where the Brabantica intersects with the Monastica.

Cheers Purky..!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Beautiful (cold!!!!) walk just before sunset along the Fraser River near Vancouver. It's bird of prey season with raptors of all kinds perched along the river. Today some golden eagles.

Attachments

• Fraser River 3.jpg
    Fraser River 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • Fraser River Golden Eagle.jpg
    Fraser River Golden Eagle.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • Fraser River.jpg
    Fraser River.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • Fraser Sunset.jpg
    Fraser Sunset.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 38
Snow this morning...minus zero temps and in afternoon rain. So enormously icey and downright dangerous.
Anyway the boots are waterproof and I managed to do a 7 k round trip to the village for the papers. And a stop at the pub of course.

Attachments

• 20170107_132552.jpg
    20170107_132552.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170107_162040.jpg
    20170107_162040.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 37
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The (cold) rolling hills in the BC interior are always nice for a winter walk, especially when there isn't any snow on them. Also nice when the whole 'family' gets to come along...!

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 24
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Happy New Year.
No walks. No pictures. Our local volcano has been throwing out a continual cloud of ash for at least 10 days now. It gets into everything, so we are more or less housebound.
Usually at this time of the year, we walk through the coffee plantations, where harvest is in full swing.

Weather has been snowy and cold here in the Pacific Northwest until the rain today. Was snowshoeing just up the road from my house a couple days ago and had a picnic in the woods.

NoaVlQy.jpg

gZLEPPt.jpg

szCeCRv.jpg

v2Lgw1v.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We went hillwalking in the misty Mourne Mountains on Saturday. About 12kms, which included a climb to the summit of Slieve Binnian and a walk along the ridge to the North Tor. There were some good views when the clouds moved out of the way.

IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0137.JPG

No walks. No pictures. Our local volcano has been throwing out a continual cloud of ash for at least 10 days now. It gets into everything, so we are more or less housebound.
Usually at this time of the year, we walk through the coffee plantations, where harvest is in full swing.
Not sure that my 'like' is a good response and also trust conditions improve and no ongoing problem.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hello @annakappa ~ Curious if your volcano is Arenal? I stayed in the vicinity some years ago - a great visit and memory.

Back here in South Australia our 1 in 10/20/50/60/100 year weather events continue. Last night we were meant to get another 1 in 60 year mid summer storm but it ended up being a steady 23mm drizzle day and, needing to test some of our wet weather gear, we were out in my backyard Onkaparinga River National Park again. Here's the Australian suburban bush after a summer rain and a bedraggled local too hungry to move out of our way:
bakersgully_track.jpg IMG_6440.jpg

Training at the local hills. According to my fitbit I walked 40 floors.
A bit of mini Meseta.
The tree where 300 years ago a local lady blamed for witchcraft was executed.
And with some human help the toads could cross the road safely...

Attachments

• 20170115_100157.jpg
    20170115_100157.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170115_101254.jpg
    20170115_101254.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170115_102946.jpg
    20170115_102946.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 57
  • 20170115_104850.jpg
    20170115_104850.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm enjoying seeing everyone's photos. I'm determined to be well prepared for walking in September - in 2015 work got the better of me and I wasn't as fit as I should have been, 2013 I did more preparatory walking.

Just a few miles today, I'm lucky enough to be just a 15 minute walk from a 20 mile long beach. Very foggy and murky today but thankfully mild with no wind!

image.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That SHELL is calling you again Nuala, don't you think ?
It certainly felt that way! I stopped at that beach on my way to Dublin for work. I wasn't expecting a particularly nice walk, but then I saw all those shells. Time to book some flights!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reservoir/Bladder fan here. Cleaning tips: A bit of lemon juice from the bar sloshed around the bag cleans it nicely. Regular Coke will work, in a pinch, just rinse well afterwards. I've heard denture tablets work, too, but haven't tried that tip. I take a few of these and use every 3-4 days:
fee84ee9-0169-4e7c-9c2c-fa32e60baca9

Last trip, I used the new Osprey 2.5 liter folding top reservoir and really liked it for filling from low faucets and easy cleaning. Also love the magnet that keeps it attached to the chest strap for easy sipping:

be2d13e2-67c8-4805-9073-e2c8609e8739.jpeg
Cheers!

No, it's not the Volcano Arenal that's causing the problems, but one much nearer home, the Volcan Turrialba, which has been behaving badly for some years now, however it's erupting on more or less a daily basis now, which is a pest!
By the way, we were traveling by the Volcan Arenal a couple of days ago........a much more spectacular volcano. Pure conical shape. Definitely worth a visit to see!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
12k.walk in cold crispy weather but full blast sun.
Paved road and forest tracks around open air museum Bokrijk. Bokrijk gives a good impression how people lived two hundred years ago. http://www.bokrijk.be/en

Attachments

• 20170121_122651.jpg
    20170121_122651.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20170121_130515.jpg
    20170121_130515.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170121_130752.jpg
    20170121_130752.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170121_132639.jpg
    20170121_132639.jpg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You do realise if he hears you say that his heart may melt and pass away , then how will you feel?
I have just realised this is my 1000 post it has taken me three years!! I'm a slow writer!!
In this case I think only the snow is melting...:)

Another 15k in the Getevallei. Even colder than yesterday.
If someone wants to buy a chapel...here is your chance.
Also a pic of a small chapel of the Holy Virgin : farmers who were too far away from church went to pray here when the bells chimed...ages ago.
And memories of the Great War.

Attachments

• 20170122_132535.jpg
    20170122_132535.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170122_114149.jpg
    20170122_114149.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170122_112115.jpg
    20170122_112115.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170122_101304.jpg
    20170122_101304.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170122_130626.jpg
    20170122_130626.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 32
This morning we did a nice walk in " National Park de Biesbosch " .
The weather was nice, sunshine and the temperature was -4 Celsius.

www.np-debiesbosch.nl

Attachments

• 20170122_102148.jpg
    20170122_102148.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20170122_102421.jpg
    20170122_102421.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 20170122_103736.jpg
    20170122_103736.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 20170122_111326.jpg
    20170122_111326.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
And... this would be why I walk the Chemin/Camino as often as possible! This is the scenic part of my daily walk...
upload_2017-1-24_22-39-0.png
You gotta love this sign warning hefty fines for littering...
upload_2017-1-24_22-33-12.png
Seeing your beautiful photos makes me so envious!!! What a blessing!!!

I've been coming here from time to time to enjoy all your vistas...but don't post because here where I walk is either back and forth each night (200 meters each way, if I'm lucky), or on this path around the edge of the monastery:
Forest path.JPG
But yesterday was a red letter day!!!--we were able to go for a walk in the neighborhood! 3 kms if we were lucky, but it was very nice.
Out the front gate (looking back in from this vantage point): Front gate.JPG
Down the road in front of the monastery, checking out the neighbor's banana trees across the street... Our neighborhood.JPG
And away down the hill past local farms and orchards.Down the road.JPG
Here are our immediate neighbors, this morning, taking their harvest of dried beans to market:Hardworking neighbors.JPG
It's another world altogether from the city meditation centre where I often stay and work--and from everywhere else, for that matter.

Well the storm that has been hanging over us all week (winds of 50mph+ and heavy rain) has disappeared just as suddenly as it arrived. So, today, making the most of the calm and had a quick 5km scoot up the local hill. I love the view from up there, great view of the Isle of Barra on the horizon.

View from Aisgerbheinn by Yvonne, on Flickr

Finally out of the house after four days nurturing a cold. Merely five k. around the same block as usual. But felt good to be out again.
Made a collage ( ah the wonders of Samsung and all these gizmo apps which I hardly understand :D ) of the different walking paths I encountered.

surfaces.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
O my good lord ! You win. Where was this?

In France, on the Via Campaniensis and the Voie de Vézelay. The worst was between Baye and Sézanne, but I had a bit of mud further down south as well.

Rainy Sunday hike along the trails of Capilano River & Lake in North Vancouver, across the Cleveland Dam between the river and lake. Beautiful walk even in the rain!

Attachments

• Cleveland River Trail.jpg
    Cleveland River Trail.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Capilano Lake.jpg
    Capilano Lake.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Cleveland Dam.jpg
    Cleveland Dam.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 22

Attachments

• 20170131_113150.jpg
    20170131_113150.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170131_113220.jpg
    20170131_113220.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0809.JPG Hiked to Westray's Grave in Lamington National Park, Queensland, Australia today. 6 hours duration, 37 degrees celsius heat with humidity, dense rainforest, muddy slopes, river crossings, snakes, leeches and I loved every minute of it.

37 degrees celsius heat with humidity, dense rainforest, muddy slopes, river crossings, snakes, leeches and I loved every minute of it.

:D Sounds like my kind of hell!! Husband is trying to persuade me to visit Oz next year - this doesn't help matters! :D
I think your camino will be easy going after this kind of thing:)

Around and around my apartment complex. Looking forward to starting on the CF this May 2017. I've been packed and ready for about two years.

:D Sounds like my kind of hell!! Husband is trying to persuade me to visit Oz next year - this doesn't help matters! :D
I think your camino will be easy going after this kind of thing:)
No need for persuasion WildPlace, just come on down. We have wild and beautiful places. To get to this trail it was 4WD access only. Listen to local knowledge, don't take necessary risks, always leave early so you have plenty of daylight, always carry 2-3 litres of water and a first aid kit. Mobile service can be nonexistent so you can't rely on your phone. On this walk, if it had started to rain I would have had to turn back real fast because the river crossings would become impossible to cross. Plenty of adventurous fun :)

Only 12k but with full pack so good training. Goal was the Basilica in Tongeren,the next bigger town.
Of course this being Belgium first stop in a local pub that also sells woodpellets lol.
Then the mandatory chapel and of course the basilica. There was Mass so could not enter for a visit so ended in another pub for a cafe con leche.
OH picked me up by car.
All in all a good training and my pack feels good and comfortable.

Attachments

• 20170205_101410.jpg
    20170205_101410.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170205_104150.jpg
    20170205_104150.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170205_105207.jpg
    20170205_105207.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20170205_110630.jpg
    20170205_110630.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170205_111138.jpg
    20170205_111138.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20170205_111750.jpg
    20170205_111750.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170205_112409.jpg
    20170205_112409.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170205_114114.jpg
    20170205_114114.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20170205_115544.jpg
    20170205_115544.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 38

€46,-
Unusual winter weather this year for the Canadian west coast. More snow than we've had in years! I love it though and this morning, a wonderful walk through trails around farmland in Delta near Boundary Bay. Huge numbers of bald and golden eagles gathering here.

Attachments

• Delta trails.jpg
    Delta trails.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28
  • Delta stream 2.jpg
    Delta stream 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Delta trail.jpg
    Delta trail.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Delta Eagles.jpg
    Delta Eagles.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Delta farm.jpg
    Delta farm.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 27
  • Delta Eagle eye.jpg
    Delta Eagle eye.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 23
Lovely pics, everyone...
Here yesterday we visited a village where the abbot of the monastery is from. Maybe 4Ks of ambling, and lots of stopping and talking! So as training goes it didn't count.
The school was having a festival and the kids were all dressed up for their performances. Priceless.

All in all a good training and my pack feels good and comfortable.
Sabine, I have the feeling that I'll be the Tortuga of the Baztan 6 --and you definitely won't be!:D:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 37
Lovely pics, everyone...
Here yesterday we visited a village where the abbot of the monastery is from. Maybe 4Ks of ambling, and lots of stopping and talking! So as training goes it didn't count.
The school was having a festival and the kids were all dressed up for their performances. Priceless.

Sabine, I have the feeling that I'll be the Tortuga of the Baztan 6 --and you definitely won't be!:D:confused:

Priceless and above all heartwarming.

Well we both will be the Tortugas...;) Anyway another round of coldvirus in the house so only lying on the couch for the moment.
So everyone keep up posting some local walking pictures.

Thank you @Theatregal and @SabineP...though I can hardly take credit for how gorgeous these kids are...
Sabine, I hope you feel better soon! You can be la peregrina tortuga and I'll be la peregrina babosa. ;)
I am again walking several 900m circles every afternoon, so there are no new photos to post.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Priceless and above all heartwarming.

Well we both will be the Tortugas...;) Anyway another round of coldvirus in the house so only lying on the couch for the moment.
So everyone keep up posting some local walking pictures.
Hope you get better soon.
Wish you well, Peter.

Unusual winter weather this year for the Canadian west coast. More snow than we've had in years! I love it though and this morning, a wonderful walk through trails around farmland in Delta near Boundary Bay. Huge numbers of bald and golden eagles gathering here.
Love the pictures with the eagles.
Wish you well, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another day out--this time right next door to a grove of big trees. I can't just walk out; we had to have the abbot with us. A monk is a guarantee of free passage anyplace here.;)
So we hopped over the back boundary past the neighbor's little house and the enormous tree nearby, and down the hill into the quiet cool of the deep shade. The forest is a remnant of what must have been here before--and lo and behold, once we got inside we saw why it's still there: cafe!
The other end of the cafe con leche production chain......
[Edit~The flowers are not coffee flowers, just interesting ones.....]

Attachments

• Forest walk 1.JPG
    Forest walk 1.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 30
  • Forest walk 2.JPG
    Forest walk 2.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 29
  • Forest walk 3.JPG
    Forest walk 3.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Forest walk 4.JPG
    Forest walk 4.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Forest walk 5.JPG
    Forest walk 5.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Forest walk 6.JPG
    Forest walk 6.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 25
An urban walk today, from my doorstep, along the Fraser River, through Britannia Historic Shipyard site, through the village of Steveston and around Garry Point. A nice 12 km on this blustery chilly day!! Very dramatic near the end, witnessing a fight over food between 2 eagles!

Attachments

• Britannia.jpg
    Britannia.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Britannia Historical Shipyard Site.jpg
    Britannia Historical Shipyard Site.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Fraser.jpg
    Fraser.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 32
  • Garry .jpg
    Garry .jpg
    96 KB · Views: 31
  • Garry Point.jpg
    Garry Point.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Eagles.jpg
    Eagles.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 28

€83,-
I went for a lovely 3 hour bush walk this morning through tall eucalypt forests, melaleuca wetlands and billabongs along Buhot Creek. The kangaroos, kookaburras and cicadas were great company under the hot sun.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a storm going on in Holland. Code orange, because of very severe wind gusts. I was curious how that would look on the countryside, so off for a quick hike along my favourite river path. The river was indeed filled to capacity, higher than I've ever seen it anyway. The wind seemed only to go full force above the tree line, not too bad on ground level, so I felt slightly disappointed. I was expecting a bit more drama, to be honest. Untill I stumbled upon the place where I took the last photo...

2017-02-23-15.59.jpg 2017-02-23-16.00.jpg 2017-02-23-16.02.jpg 2017-02-23-16.27.jpg

Last edited:
There is a storm going on in Holland. Code orange, because of very severe wind gusts. I was curious how that would look on the countryside, so off for a quick hike along my favourite river path. The river was indeed filled to capacity, higher than I've ever seen it anyway. The wind seemed only to go full force above the tree line, not too bad on ground level, so I felt slightly disappointed. I was expecting a bit more drama, to be honest. Untill I stumbled upon the place where I took the last photo...

View attachment 32045 View attachment 32046 View attachment 32047 View attachment 32048

Yes Purky...some heavy gales here in the Lowlands indeed. We had more damage with trees etc. But luckily no human harm.

Our appartement is on the 11th. floor and the storm is stil pounding on the windows.
Watch yourself's when you are outside in the storm.
Wish you all well, Peter.

This is where I walked today. Lots of snow on the ground but beautiful blue skies and sun. It does not get any better at this time of the year.

Attachments

• 20170211_102410.jpg
    20170211_102410.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 26
Ten k. citywalk in the beautiful town of Gent.
Climbed the bellfry tower which is part of Unesco worlheritage.
Unbelievable that this building goes back to the 14th century.

Attachments

• 20170225_121025.jpg
    20170225_121025.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170225_121419.jpg
    20170225_121419.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170225_122232.jpg
    20170225_122232.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170225_122527.jpg
    20170225_122527.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170225_112259.jpg
    20170225_112259.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170225_133731.jpg
    20170225_133731.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170225_121116(0).jpg
    20170225_121116(0).jpg
    499 KB · Views: 27
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The confluence of a couple of events has led to some nice walks here in the Boston area.

The last three days have been setting record warm temperatures, some longstanding. The outdoor temperatures have exceeded the setting on the indoor thermostat. Tee-shirt weather. Flowers actually blooming in my yard.

Last week on another thread I mentioned that
I've assembled a number of local trails, a few rural roads and some suburban streets into a 20+ mile walk from one train station to another with Thoreau sites all along it. An unfinished project is publishing this to the web.
and in a PM to @Viranani I told her about a book that I've wanted to read since it was published in 1995, Walking Towards Walden: A Pilgrimage in Search of Place by John Hanson Mitchell. Well I finally borrowed and read the book and yesterday took the dog on a portion of my walk that intersected with Mitchell's walk and we visited a spot new to me, the pond where Thoreau's father had a sawmill. I'm going to reroute my walk to go past there.

BTW, Mitchell had a number of mentions of the Camino de Santiago in his book and remember this was published in 1995. In fact, other than a one page epilog where he says what he and his companions were up to between their walk and the books publication this is the paragraph with which he ends his book:
It is said that medieval pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela, after so many weeks and months of travel, sometimes were unable to stop themselves from walking and continued on to Finisterre, “land's end,” the westernmost point of Europe. In the Middle Ages the spot marked the edge of the known world.
http://johnhansonmitchell.com/pages/books.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.