• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No "ticks" today during my morning walk. Sunny and warm, plenty of animals, muchos birds overhead, plus in the middle of my trail I saw a nice looking cascabelito (snake), about one meter long, she was watching me, I changed course and let her take care of business. I respect Mother Nature. Praying for peace. Animo, no pares de caminar.
20180610_074955.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Almost a Camino feeling this last week at our Fr. home. My husband ( -non Camino walker) and I are hosting my Camino walking friend and her husband (non Camino walker) plus a pilgrim couple from USA whom we met and walked with between Trabadelo and Sarria in 2015. We've done much walking In sunshine and rain. We walked between Saintes and Pons (26km) on the Chemin de Saint Jacques - Voie de Tours . We've visited many local historical sites with pilgrim connections. We all took part walking a 12km special evening event yesterday evening. Supper served en-route, each course served at a different location. By the time we arrived at the cheese course location it was dark and the heavens had opened, out came ponchos , rain gear etc and the 240 wet walkers finished up for dessert course at the village hall. Good fun had by all and much camaraderie. It's been quite a week.

Thank you Miss F for the report. That's a lot of walkers! Oh by the way, I stop for jamon humado (smoked ham), quezo (cheese), and chocolate! To all caminantes, salud, no pares de caminar.

Almost a Camino feeling this last week at our Fr. home. My husband ( -non Camino walker) and I are hosting my Camino walking friend and her husband (non Camino walker) plus a pilgrim couple from USA whom we met and walked with between Trabadelo and Sarria in 2015. We've done much walking In sunshine and rain. We walked between Saintes and Pons (26km) on the Chemin de Saint Jacques - Voie de Tours . We've visited many local historical sites with pilgrim connections. We all took part walking a 12km special evening event yesterday evening. Supper served en-route, each course served at a different location. By the time we arrived at the cheese course location it was dark and the heavens had opened, out came ponchos , rain gear etc and the 240 wet walkers finished up for dessert course at the village hall. Good fun had by all and much camaraderie. It's been quite a week.
Sounds indeed like a wonderful time, what a novel idea! Thanks for sharing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A beautiful day hiking along Cultus Lake and up Teapot Hill near Chilliwack. Lots of environmental controversy around the teapots left in the woods and on tree stumps ~ every once in a while they are removed by park workers and then a new crop appears. First time I've hiked here and it was fun watching children racing up the trail as they spotted and counted the pots along the way.

Teapot Hill 1.jpgTeapot Hill 2.jpgTeapot Hill 3.jpgTeapot Hill 4.jpgTeapot Hill 5.jpgTeapot Hill 6.jpgTeapot Hill 7.jpgTeapot Hill 8.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My camino friend Irena and her husband Roman came to visit. It was great to see her again. We went hiking in the Veľka Fatra yesterday. Rain made us turn back as it came with the threat of storms on the exposed mountain top. However, we ate wild strawberries and collected herbs on the slopes, and we worked up a good appetite for lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_112437.jpg
    IMG_20180610_112437.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180610_112432.jpg
    IMG_20180610_112432.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
I just had the most humbling experience today.
I have been assisting and driving a patient to radiotherapy and treatment. People were talking to each other how they were grateful with a walk in their garden or just sitting on their patio.
I see now even more how lucky we are to be able to physically walk! The sheer joy of it.

Just wanted to share this emotion...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been assisting and driving a patient to radiotherapy and treatment. People were talking to each other how they were grateful with a walk in their garden or just sitting on their patio.
I see now even more how lucky we are to be able to physically walk! The sheer joy of it.

Thank you Sabine. So true. When I neared the bottom of the trail at the end of my hike yesterday, there was a family starting up. The trail has quite a steep start and one of the women asked me if it was as steep all the way up. I said there were several very steep sections ahead. She said she just didn't have the strength to make it to the top and told her family she would wait on a bench for them. They didn't want to leave her as it would be about a 90 minute wait but she insisted. They went on and I talked with her for a bit. She said she was just happy to be out and to have walked the little bit she did - she would enjoy sitting, watching the hikers go by and looked forward to hearing her grandchildren's excitement when they returned to tell her how many teapots they found. We had a great brief talk about strength and aging. After I went on my way, I felt such gratitude for my current physical strength and the reminder to not take the joy of that for granted.

Wow, thanks everyone for the good photos and for the great stories related to some of the photos. Just back from my walk, foggy today, cloudy skies, typical June Gloom weather here. About 30 minutes after returning home the sun came out in my area, but I still can see the fog sweeping the coastal area to the west of Mi Casa Humilde. To everyone doing local walks and those heading to Santiago de Compostela, animo, no pares de caminar.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Very true, Sabine. Walking is such a joy. We have much to be thankful for and when the time comes when we can no longer walk, may we be graced with the ability to also enjoy sitting and watching the world go by.

I had two walks yesterday, both hilly. Both were steep in places and today my legs feel it.:)
The first was by myself, just around Monte Santo and up to an abandoned castle on the top. After quite a bit of bush-bashing, I was pleased to have only acquired three ticks!
Then in the afternoon, several of us went further away to the top of a peak over the Torrente River Valley, through oak and then beech forest up to meadows with sweeping views. With all the rain there were many flowers - including three kinds of orchids (sorry no decent pics of them).

Attachments

• IMG_9059.JPG
    IMG_9059.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9071.JPG
    IMG_9071.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9136.JPG
    IMG_9136.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9134.JPG
    IMG_9134.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Amen.

Good walk this morning under foggy weather here, a couple of rolling hills good for my leg muscles. Muchos conejos (rabbits) playing around, and then I was surprised by a couple of dogs coming from nowhere (but the owner was nearby to take care of them). At the top of the hill I slowed down to pray for peace in the Korean Peninsula. Already then, to all caminantes, no pares de caminar.

@ Theatregal Thank you for reminding me of Chilliwack and Teapot Hill. I visited there about 5 years ago and it was a beautiful place to walk through.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good walk this morning, had to slow down after I found another walker on the trail (a new face on the trail), we walked together for a couple of miles; then I met with another walker (good old friend) and walked with her too. Overall good day, it feels good to have a walking companion to exchange stories. Also, Miss Weather is changing fast, it was sunny and warm by the time I finished (but not even close to the temperature were @yaying is located). To all caminantes walking local trails and to those heading to Santiago de Compostela, animo, no pares de caminar.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@yaying, I do remember running my 10k workous in Muscat (Oman) during the summer under hot temps (around 45c) during port visits. But that was then, and this is now. This morning I walked under warm weather--difficult day, I was saved three times (from falling) thanks to El Biscarrete (my wooden walking stick). To all caminantes, animo y no pares de caminar.

@yaying, I do remember running my 10k workous in Muscat (Oman) during the summer under hot temps (around 45c) during port visits. But that was then, and this is now. This morning I walked under warm weather--difficult day, I was saved three times (from falling) thanks to El Biscarrete (my wooden walking stick). To all caminantes, animo y no pares de caminar.
You take care, and thank goodness your walking stick saved you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Today I had a nice walk today with my hiking friends from Stare Hory to Banska Bystrica. We found troves of tiny tasty wild strawberries. We also had a short unexpected poetry recitation. IMG_20180616_104128.jpgIMG_20180616_122616.jpgIMG_20180616_122508.jpg

Finally back on track after 6 weeks inactivity ( well except the walks and bicycle rides at work ).
Starting slowly with a circular five k.walk.
Drove by car 15 min.to another local village for a varied walk. 50-50 paved and unpaved.
Clouded but dry and a breezy 17 Celsius : my kind of weather.

Attachments

• 20180617_100742.jpg
    20180617_100742.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180617_101438.jpg
    20180617_101438.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180617_101704.jpg
    20180617_101704.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20180617_103730.jpg
    20180617_103730.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180617_105208.jpg
    20180617_105208.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today I walked in this valley for the first time this summer. Same shoe and flag, same mountains, same bridge and same waterfall as I have posted before:) Very little water in the waterfall now, it didn’t rain for almost four weeks, which is very unusual here.CE3451A1-B433-4A34-85DE-932F7A0D8F00.jpeg867E4E90-CEC1-47E2-B610-DAB1296183C4.jpeg6FE0DBB1-8B8C-4D0B-9135-69DD98E5B3D6.jpeg007AAB23-AA9C-48B5-9DEE-E515D1BE06F6.jpegB5D5EE7B-A90A-4BDA-A2A2-1C149B774F6B.jpegB43EED8F-6015-4EF1-8E72-DC2B8ED3CF41.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Once upon a time I fell in love with the Waddeneilanden, situated in the North Sea and north of the Netherlands mainland. Over the years I've visited all five of the inhabited Dutch ones. It has to do with the fact that you have to take a boat to get there and the sea being near all the time. I love roaming around some of the shatteringly empty streaks of land (strangely uplifting to me) that are so devoid of features that words like 'bare' and 'stark' get a whole new meaning. But I've also found nice forests, dunes that glow like gold when the sun sets, quaint little villages and long, flowing paths between all these treasures. And I am convinced the light is different there, sharper and clearer, but whenever I share this view people look at me funny, so I keep that mostly to myself. Last weekend I was on Ameland, the fourth island from the left. Sheer bliss...

Attachments

• 2018-06-15 20.06.48.jpg
    2018-06-15 20.06.48.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2018-06-16 12.33.49.jpg
    2018-06-16 12.33.49.jpg
    933.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2018-06-17 10.43.14.jpg
    2018-06-17 10.43.14.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2018-06-17 11.05.50.jpg
    2018-06-17 11.05.50.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 2018-06-17 11.09.22.jpg
    2018-06-17 11.09.22.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Once upon a time I fell in love with the Waddeneilanden, situated in the North Sea and north of the Netherlands. Over the years I've visited all five of the inhabited Dutch ones. It has to do with the fact that you have to take a boat to get there and the sea being near all the time. I love roaming around some of the shatteringly empty streaks of land (strangely uplifting to me) that are so devoid of features that words like 'bare' and 'stark' get a whole new meaning. But I've also found nice forests, dunes that glow like gold when the sun sets, quaint little villages and long, flowing paths between all these treasures. And I am convinced the light is different there, sharper and clearer, but whenever I share this view people look at me funny, so I keep that mostly to myself. Last weekend I was on Ameland, the fourth island from the left. Sheer bliss...
Beautiful words and places. Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Purky, wonderful photos of what are special places!
The light could well be better than on the mainland...there is sea air, and none of the stuff we put in it when there are lots of us humans around.

I don't really know what the deal is with the Dutch light up north. It might also be all the water that reflects light back up at the clouds, or the lack of contrast above and on the horizon because of all the grey in the skies. I once noticed the same quality of light when I was in Skagen, Denmark, and later learned the village was popular with Scandinavian artists a century ago because of it. So it seems to be an actual thing and not just a figment of my imagination...

I don't really know what the deal is with the Dutch light up north. It might also be all the water that reflects light back up at the clouds, or the lack of contrast above and on the horizon because of all the grey in the skies. I once noticed the same quality of light when I was in Skagen, Denmark, and later learned the village was popular with Scandinavian artists a century ago because of it. So it seems to be an actual thing and not just a figment of my imagination...
You just have to look at the work of artists, I mean those in addition to camera artists! To verify your point. Not a figment. What a lovely word, figment!

goodmoraftnigh!

my eid off was awesome that will cater such memories until such free time again...perhaps a year hahaha!
The sunny desert sun borne my already burn natural tanned skin, just a little bit shading from brown to darker brown... not yet black though:) with 39dc 4:30 am wading in the beach water was far beyond joy, apparently could not stay until 8am as the sun was harmly & unfriendlyo_O! regretful no photos to share aside from words!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today I had a nice walk today with my hiking friends from Stare Hory to Banska Bystrica. We found troves of tiny tasty wild strawberries. We also had a short unexpected poetry recitation.

I am so excited to read this! Many years ago we hosted an AFS student for six months, and she came from Banska Bystrica. Ever since I've wanted to visit, and it looks like a wonderful place to walk.

@Kanga. That's funny. You should definitely visit. I think the hiking opportunities around Banska Bystrica are wonderful, and not over-crowded. There are the Kremnicke vrchy, Great Fatra and Low Tatra ranges nearby. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Good walk early this morning under cloudy skies, was surprised by a group of dogs but they kept the distance when they saw mi Biscarrete (photo attached). I will never hit an animal, but when they see my baston (walking pole) they think twice before making a move (I was surprised twice in the past decade resulting in two dog bites). To all caminantes walking local caminos and those heading to Santiago de Compostela, animo, no pares de caminar.
Mi Biscarrete.jpg

What a lovely day / walk it was today.
@Peter Fransiscus and I met literally at the border of our two countries. Some old borderstones reminded us of this. You literally zigzag between the Netherlands and Belgium.
We started at the Trappist Benedictan Monastery in Achel and walked 14k. It was supposed to be a circular walk of only 12 but we were talking and did not see an arrow so we had to go back and then we found it.
Dry but clouded.Almost completely unpaved through wooded area and some long sandy parts too.
Remembering also the Great War of 1914-1918 and the smuggling route.
Again great and wonderful company on this gorgeous walk.
To be repeated.

Attachments

• 20180623_112755.jpg
    20180623_112755.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20180623_112744.jpg
    20180623_112744.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20180623_112057.jpg
    20180623_112057.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20180623_112052.jpg
    20180623_112052.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
What a lovely day / walk it was today.
@Peter Fransiscus and I met literally at the border of our two countries. Some old borderstones reminded us of this. You literally zigzag between the Netherlands and Belgium.
We started at the Trappist Benedictan Monastery in Achel and walked 14k. It was supposed to be a circular walk of only 12 but we were talking and did not see an arrow so we had to go back and then we found it.
Dry but clouded.Almost completely unpaved through wooded area and some long sandy parts too.
Remembering also the Great War of 1914-1918 and the smuggling route.
Again great and wonderful company on this gorgeous walk.
To be repeated.
How lovely! You walked in silent and hallowed ground. And how lovely to meet at a border! beat the borders... this has given me a big smile! Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You should frame every one of your photos! Summer is here. Till it goes! Would love to see all the photos but can’t seem to get them to open. Someone once gave me a tip, posting them in thumbnail seems to allow them to load more easily...
Kirkie, how many, if any, of the pictures can you see?

A good plan, safely accomplished. Walked to train, ten minutes later, started walking and skirted the Phoenix Park, one of the largest enclosed city parks in Europe. Walked alongside runners, a good couple of hundred, running a race for the fun of it. Very hot for that activity. Passed plenty of support volunteers, and a music group who were there to cheer them on. Took few photos, including one of my plate of salad, but hey! ensalada pure and simple, you don't need to see that! Did some shopping on the way home... and here I am, about to soak my feet. 14.5km, and if I had to, I would be able to go on. I will soon need to so one of these days I MUST do a 25km walk.
IMG_2459.JPGIMG_2449.JPGIMG_2460.JPG

Today we walked and we took the bus to the other side of the river and walked to villa Augustus for lunch.

Attachments

• 20180624_112529.jpg
    20180624_112529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20180624_113830.jpg
    20180624_113830.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20180624_115912.jpg
    20180624_115912.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20180624_123808.jpg
    20180624_123808.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20180624_124516.jpg
    20180624_124516.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20180624_131457.jpg
    20180624_131457.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Miss K and Mister P for the photos. Anyone getting hungry after looking at one of the photos? On my side, good slow-paced walk this morning, found another walker on the trail and decided to walk at her comfortable pace. Oh by the way, I like Miss K's comment on the Euromillions. Animo, no pares de caminar.

Nice long, day off walk this morning along a favourite path east beside the Fraser River looking back to my village. Stopped for a bit to watch an eagle on a pylon who was very preoccupied with a stick - she pulled it out of the river, swung it around, chewed it, stood on if for a while and then tossed it back into the river. Beautiful quiet Sunday morning.
Fraser.jpgEagle 1.jpgEagle 2.jpgEagle 3.jpg

I had the great pleasure to meet @SabineP for the second time this fortnight, for a wonderful city walk in Leuven. It is a gorgeous city, but I did not do it justice: all I took photos of were a some oddities...the well-trained pears in the botanical garden, and the biggest pinned beetle in the world. The gorgeous building behind the beetle is the University library, which has a tragic but beautiful story behind it from WWI.
Then on the way back to Mechelen, we got out of the train one stop early and walked the 5K back on a bike path next to the river.
There is something magic about the light around here, or maybe it was the day. (The round pond in the photo is a bomb crater from the WWII.)

Attachments

• 20180624_143242.jpg
    20180624_143242.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180624_175930.jpg
    20180624_175930.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180624_180059.jpg
    20180624_180059.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
I have dug into my Camino gear and am dressed in merino and full wet weather gear about to go out into the pouring rain and wind to catch piglets for someone coming to the farm to collect them... I may be some time.

Oh to be on the sun drenched Vdlp walking past placid porcines munching acorns.

More than 25 Celsius so my brain is already melting.
Went to next town Tongeren to buy some newly published walking routes.
And then I found this. I knew of course that the Camino passes here but until now there were only yellow stickers as markers.

Attachments

• 20180627_114356.jpg
    20180627_114356.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
One of those morning walks that just makes me think "grateful". Have been working 5 weeks of long days, 6 days a week and not much time for daily walks. The show is open and I have my mornings again to just get outside and move!!

morning1.jpgmorning2.jpgmorning3.jpgmorning4.jpgmorning5.jpgmorning6.jpg

More than 25 Celsius so my brain is already melting.
Went to next town Tongeren to buy some newly published walking routes.
And then I found this. I knew of course that the Camino passes here but until now there were only yellow stickers as markers.
A beautiful thing to see!

€60,-
Thanks to all our friends here for the awesome photos, planning my next trip to Victoria or Vancouver. Meanwhile, on my side of the house another great walk this morning, feeling camino ready! Animo, no pares de caminar.

Some photos from the St Finbarr's Way, a 37Km one-way walk in Co. Cork. We did it in 2 days, and it was plenty challenging. Lots of up and down, over 2 mountains and into 4 valleys - past a few ruined castles, a stone circle, and all sorts of natural wonders! We had super weather - which made for stellar views when one is up on the tops.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    555.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 11
Some photos from the St Finbarr's Way, a 37Km one-way walk in Co. Cork. We did it in 2 days, and it was plenty challenging. Lots of up and down, over 2 mountains and into 4 valleys - past a few ruined castles, a stone circle, and all sorts of natural wonders! We had super weather - which made for stellar views when one is up on the tops.
Oh my gosh!!! So beautiful!!

Lovely pictures and everything is so green.
Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Made it about 25 miles on the North Country Trail through North Dakota, well short of the 430 I'd hoped to do.

Waiting to learn these lessons that failure is supposed to bring. :confused:

Made it about 25 miles on the North Country Trail through North Dakota, well short of the 430 I'd hoped to do.

Waiting to learn these lessons that failure is supposed to bring. :confused:
jeffnd, I am not clear. You did 25miles. Are you not delighted with that? in a day? for fun? to my addled evening brain, that is 40km. I would be singing and dancing and shouting from the rooftops. But wait, maybe I have missed something... and what about a photo? I doubt I will ever go there...

jeffnd, I am not clear. You did 25miles. Are you not delighted with that? in a day? for fun? to my addled evening brain, that is 40km. I would be singing and dancing and shouting from the rooftops. But wait, maybe I have missed something... and what about a photo? I doubt I will ever go there...

I made 25 miles in 2 days, before I decided to give up and go home. The back of my heels were torn to shreds, I could barely walk because of pain in my back and legs. (This is in spite of the training I did.) I had planned to walk all of the trail through North Dakota, a distance of 430 miles. Within an hour of walking the second day, I knew I should quit before I ended up really hurting myself. I keep trying to figure out what went wrong. On the Camino, I had to walk over mountains of the first day. But on the NCT, I couldn't handle ruler-flat ground. I keep asking myself if I should have toughed it out, kept going... And now I'm seriously questioning my plans to go back to the Camino next summer.

I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few.

My tent, set up in city park, the night before I set out on the trail.
IMG_0182_40.jpg

The bridge across the Red River, which makes the border of North Dakota and Minnesota
IMG_0186_40.jpg

The emblem of the North Country Trail
IMG_0195_40.jpg

Fort Abercrombie, recreated in late 1930's during the depression. The tall prairie grass represents the outlines of other buildings that were at the fort.
IMG_0201_40.jpg

On the NCT, you follow the blue blazes
IMG_0202_40.jpg

The muddy Wild Rice River.
IMG_0233_40.jpg

I had the great pleasure of joining @VNwalking on this wonderful walk. Such beautiful countryside - probably one of the nicest walks I’ve ever done. The company was great too!

A few more photos:

143830A9-3CF2-42B8-91A1-4A6787A2AA7C.jpeg691A72CB-9DE7-4FCB-A200-37BD4C4F38EE.jpeg071D21E7-4CA4-4B1B-8E5F-D7F815A4F6FD.jpeg66164723-F471-45D2-B38C-D6EFD1DABE1E.jpeg79FC2971-267A-4257-8FAF-13CDE07B86E8.jpeg3DEFBD0B-9205-42DE-AA57-DA28A9F5C663.jpeg

I had the great pleasure of joining @VNwalking on this wonderful walk. Such beautiful countryside - probably one of the nicest walks I’ve ever done
Nuala is wonderful company and we shared mroe than a few laughs.
And she's right. It was a 10-star walk. Besides the perfect company, the landscape and weather were brilliant.
Oh. And Nuala's pic reminded me: the sheep. They were fun too. We always seemed to have someone looking over our shoulders when we stopped to have a break.

I made 25 miles in 2 days, before I decided to give up and go home.
Sorry, Jeff - bad luck! I hope those heels are healing and thank you for the pics!

I made 25 miles in 2 days, before I decided to give up and go home. The back of my heels were torn to shreds, I could barely walk because of pain in my back and legs. (This is in spite of the training I did.) I had planned to walk all of the trail through North Dakota, a distance of 430 miles. Within an hour of walking the second day, I knew I should quit before I ended up really hurting myself. I keep trying to figure out what went wrong. On the Camino, I had to walk over mountains of the first day. But on the NCT, I couldn't handle ruler-flat ground. I keep asking myself if I should have toughed it out, kept going... And now I'm seriously questioning my plans to go back to the Camino next summer.

I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few.

My tent, set up in city park, the night before I set out on the trail.
View attachment 44096

The bridge across the Red River, which makes the border of North Dakota and Minnesota
View attachment 44097

The emblem of the North Country Trail
View attachment 44098

Fort Abercrombie, recreated in late 1930's during the depression. The tall prairie grass represents the outlines of other buildings that were at the fort.
View attachment 44099

On the NCT, you follow the blue blazes
View attachment 44100

The muddy Wild Rice River.
View attachment 44101
Thanks for your reply. I understand, you can hardly be delighted, with such an unexpected shock to your system, and damage to your feet. Easy for me to say don’t give up but here is a question: how much everyday walking do you normally manage? And on what kind of terrain? Most of mine is on city pavements so I guess i should be ok on longer walks. However, this is about you. WHen you have healed, you will hopefully pick up your walking shoes and start again. Do let us all know how it goes. And thanks fo the photos! Scotland is all over the globe! Abercrombie, indeed!

Marianne and I had a nice hot walk of about 16km. around Epen and Vijlen in South Limburg.
And at the end I had a nice beer.

Attachments

• 20180630_111121.jpg
    20180630_111121.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180630_111354.jpg
    20180630_111354.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180630_112014.jpg
    20180630_112014.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180630_125838.jpg
    20180630_125838.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20180630_162831.jpg
    20180630_162831.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Had a meeting this afternoon and instead of waiting in the scorching heat I went into the main church in town.
Beautifully restored. This is the church where I had my first and Holy Communion.
Gothic building with Baroque interior.
Also a beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary with Jesus and Anna , the mother of Mary.
15th century
Also a statue of the patron saint of the city : St Trudo.

Attachments

• 20180702_131842.jpg
    20180702_131842.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20180702_131836.jpg
    20180702_131836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180702_131713.jpg
    20180702_131713.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180702_131625.jpg
    20180702_131625.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20180702_131754.jpg
    20180702_131754.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Had a meeting this afternoon and instead of waiting in the scorching heat I went into the main church in town.
Beautifully restored. This is the church where I had my first and Holy Communion.
Gothic building with Baroque interior.
Also a beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary with Jesus and Anna , the mother of Mary.
15th century
Also a statue of the patron saint of the city : St Trudo.
Beautiful light in this church!

Went from one side of Ireland to another yesterday, from the ruggedness of West Cork up to Dublin. After the long drive it was a joy to have a fabulous late-afternoon walk in with @kirkie. Thank you!!!
This evening I'll be in Santiago. Bring on the balloons!:cool:

Attachments

• 20180630_204215.jpg
    20180630_204215.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20180701_205334.jpg
    20180701_205334.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Went from one side of Ireland to another yesterday, from the ruggedness of West Cork up to Dublin. After the long drive it was a joy to have a fabulous late-afternoon walk in with @kirkie. Thank you!!!
This thread usually takes me way too long to load, but I just bought a new ipad and can now do it quickly! Just saw the gorgeous posts of your walk with Nuala. And now kirkie! VN, you are on a roll. I understand that next stop is the Ingles with another forum member! You go girl. So happy for you. Buen camino, Laurie

Today Wendy and I did a ~17km walk on and around the Praia da Fonte da Telha, just south of Lisbon. It was a beautiful loop walk through forest, above the cliffs, and on the beach.

View attachment 44247

Wow, 15 years going every year to Lisbon and I have never been on the beach on the south of the Tejo. Arrabida is a pretty good walking spot, too, IMO! Lucky you to be so close. Did you take a bus to get there? Good public transport?

Did you take a bus to get there? Good public transport?

We went with a few others from the Cascais Happy Hikers group on Facebook, and one of them was kind enough to give us a ride. We did see a bus at the beach as we were leaving, so I guess there is public transport, but everyone in our group had their own transport.

Such wonderful words. "This evening I'll be in Santiago" :) Have a lovely evening.

Looks great with out the scaffolding.
Yes, doesn't it? Here's another one.
You still can't get through the Portico de Gloria yet. I peeked through the screen from the inside this morning and they are still doing restoration work.

Attachments

• 20180703_192147.jpg
    20180703_192147.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After tossing around a few options, I headed out and took a train to my starting point, and walked back home. A beautiful day.Why are we being so blessed with good weather? That is the Celt in me, doubting good fortune! and, by the way: Dave Bugg walked with me on many parts of the walk. Left foot down, Dave, right foot down, Bugg. Dave (Lift up the heel, propel forward..) and Bugg ditto! When I caught myself dawdling, I called on Dave! And if that is not what he meant, doesn't matter. It works, gives me a little spring in my step. Everybody still hares past me, but that is not the point: I am dancing as fast as I can!
The guy on the bench must be stuck to it. I see him every time I walk by. The crane, or heron, or whatever, took me by surprise. It was like a statue. The plaque is one I read every time with amazement and the height of respect. Quaternion multiplication? what in the name of the wee man is that??? I can do normal multiplication, even teach it at primary level, but that other stuff... no wonder I moved from science subjects to languages...
IMG_2527.jpgIMG_2529.jpgIMG_2531.jpgIMG_2536.jpgIMG_2538.jpgIMG_2542.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is the Celt in me, doubting good fortune!

That is indeed a notable Celtic trait, and I met it face to face years ago. When I visited Ireland during a summer holiday, I was lucky to have two weeks of beautiful weather too. But literally every Irishman and woman I met and talked to commented at length about the sunshine and mild summer breeze, and everyone of them predicted it couldn't possibly last for very much longer. It was almost as if they collectively started to feel paranoid about the excellent conditions, and maybe felt unworthy or suspicious about it. It was an effective conversation starter too: "How about this weather!", and they would instantly start ranting. Great fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.