A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2020?

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
The last leg of St Peters way and onto the chapel of St Peter on the wall.

Left Steeple by the road and onto open countryside, then through meadows to the quaint village of Tillingham...too early for coffee at the pub....they don't seem to open before 12md

The chapel was visible from quiet a distance as we approached it on the track.....too windy to walk on the sea wall

The Chapel dates from 654 AD....built by Lindisfarne monk St Cedd, it is one of the most isolated religious sites in the UK
The chapel fell out of religious use in the 18th century and was used as a grain store. Restored in 1920 it is now a regular site of pilgrimage
Spent a little while here and back to the village of Bradwwll by track ...passing some lovely "English country gardens"
Coffee at the Kings Head whose "photo" on the front looked remarkably like Henry the V111 !!!
Back to Steeple by bus

This Pulgrim way of 41 miles is very well marked throughout
We were lucky to have had good weather as there are lots of fields to be crossed ...and Essex clay can be pretty hard going when wet image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.png

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
After a very wet morning, I took myself off as soon as it was dry and managed to fit in my needed distance to reach Mazarife and continue on towards Astorga (On a virtual trudger's camino). On my way back home I passed a statue I have not taken a photo of before: The subject is Matt Talbot, and here is a link to the said personage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

The second photo was of two mounted policemen who agreed to be photographed. I should have taken a moment to position the shot better but there were too many people around. The horsemen were part of the scenery as the Government convened early after their recess, in the Convention Centre on the Liffey. I didn't push my luck to ask what exactly their role might be...
IMG_5893.jpeg IMG_5894 2.jpeg

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Left home early this morning to explore another green belt that I have never visited; this one a little more rugged. I was glad of my poles, and that it wasn't wet. It always amazes me that these tall trees have such relatively shallow root systems; some soggy earth and a good wind can easily take them over. Piles of loose stones affording a dry crossing of the creek, and you can see where the creek is carving out a channel under the roots of an ancient tree stump.
IMG_1303.jpgIMG_1304.jpgIMG_1306.jpgIMG_1308.jpgIMG_1309.jpg

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
A walk with family today at Rocky Point along the Shoreline trail in Port Moody. A lovely varied walk. Part of it followed The Great Trail - a cross Canada system of linked greenways, waterways and roadways. 24,000 km from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic Oceans. We can now say that we've walked 8 km of it 🙂

rp2.jpgrp7.jpgrp1.jpgrp3.jpgrp5.jpgrp4.jpgrp6.jpgrp8.jpg

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
A walk with family today at Rocky Point along the Shoreline trail in Port Moody. A lovely varied walk. Part of it followed The Great Trail - a cross Canada system of linked greenways, waterways and roadways. 24,000 km from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic Oceans. We can now say that we've walked 8 km of it 🙂

View attachment 82305View attachment 82310View attachment 82304View attachment 82306View attachment 82308View attachment 82307View attachment 82309View attachment 82311
The Great Trail - my gosh, I think I saw that sign today. I’ll have to pay more attention in the future. Thank you for pointing that out.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
The Great Trail - my gosh, I think I saw that sign today. I’ll have to pay more attention in the future. Thank you for pointing that out.
An interesting site: https://thegreattrail.ca/
There is a searchable map to find the trail in your area. You've probably already walked much of it :) This opens up a fun new walking challenge - anywhere I travel in Canada now, I can walk and continue to connect pieces of the trail !

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
More floral details next to where I'm walking...plus a detail from the underside of one of those lovely red leaves. These little gals have been quietly living here happily until yesterday when I was pruning and knocked down their nest (not knowing it was there). Quelle suprise!!! On both sides. They are tiny but fierce.

Attachments

peregrina2000

Staff member
Another Sunday bike ride. Soy and corn fields are changing from green to yellow. Since I ride from town to town, I encounter all sorts of interesting things, like a Sea Museum in a town that is at least 1500 miles from the sea, and a cottage where Lincoln supposedly met Douglas to hash out their pre-debate conditions. There are cemeteries every few miles, dating from the mid 19th century. Aside from the two hours spent in a pavilion waiting out a thunderstorm, it was glorious!

Attachments

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
A trash-catcher may not be so picturesque, but it is very good to see it @Lexicos. We could use hundreds here, literally.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
What have we done!!???
We're just people, being the instant gratification and do-the-easy thing-not the-hard thing junkies that we are. The human species does not deal with long-term thinking or considering consequences very well, soooooo... trash catchers.

What I find gobsmacking is how many people are getting out of that rut. It's a wonderful and couageous thing, learning to think and act differently than we have for the last couple of hundred-thousand years.

enjoyingthejourney

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
I have been walking around a lot where I grew up - Eifel area in Germany - took a hike from the abbey in Maria Laach. I finally went to check out the pilgrims fountain ⛲ this has been a stop for pilgrims from Germany on their way to Spain :)
In the Shop at the Abbey I found a Book I bought „ secrets along the camino - miracle legends and stories“ I am excited to read it :)

Attachments

peregrina2000

Staff member
Still no walking for me, just riding. Though on Sunday I had to sit in a pavilion for two hours while thunderstorms went through, and I was 30 miles from home, :(all in all it was a good ride. So much Americana, unsurprisingly. :p

Attachments

Mark Day

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago planned for end April 2020 now 2021
I decide to walk "The Capital Ring" this week. It's a circular walk around London of about 78 miles. It starts at North Greenwich a circles around at about 4-6 miles from Charing Cross. I split the walk up into five sections so I could complete in a week.

Attachments

peregrina2000

Staff member
I decide to walk "The Capital Ring" this week. It's a circular walk around London of about 78 miles. It starts at North Greenwich a circles around at about 4-6 miles from Charing Cross. I split the walk up into five sections so I could complete in a week.
Great pictures. Hard to believe that at all times you were in spitting distance of about 9 million people! I had to google around to get some info on this walk, not that it’s likely that I’ll ever walk it, but still. What a great creation. In the process, I also came across what could be your next challenge — how about the 150 mile London Loop?!

And it seems to come with its own certificate — so who needs the compstela anyway. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Thank you Mark
We will have to look this one up!

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I decide to walk "The Capital Ring" this week. It's a circular walk around London of about 78 miles. It starts at North Greenwich a circles around at about 4-6 miles from Charing Cross.
Boston, Massachusetts has a trail like this too. The Appalachian Mountain Club says
The Bay Circuit Trail and Greenway (BCT) is a 230-mile [370 km] trail extending through 37 towns in Eastern Massachusetts and linking parks and open spaces from Plum Island to Duxbury/Kingston Bay. To a large degree, it is a multi-use trail allowing hiking, trail running, backpacking, biking, horseback riding, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and paddling.
For information I like the Appalachian Mountain Club's webpage more than the Bay Circuit Trail's website .

We have only walked a few miles of this trail ourselves.

Last edited:

Mark Day

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago planned for end April 2020 now 2021
Great pictures. Hard to believe that at all times you were in spitting distance of about 9 million people! I had to google around to get some info on this walk, not that it’s likely that I’ll ever walk it, but still. What a great creation. In the process, I also came across what could be your next challenge — how about the 150 mile London Loop?!

And it seems to come with its own certificate — so who needs the compstela anyway. :)
I have the book and it's in the planning. But it will have to wait for a whole as I'm off walking the coast to coast again in a couple of weeks.

Camino(s) past & future

Never knew that the Loop has its own certificate!!
We'll have to hurry up and finish it then!...and yes London is near yet so far away!
In fact one of the sections almost runs by the house

So far we've walked 11 of the 15 sections and it is indeed a wonderful walk....all within the London boundary and through open countryside, forests canals and parks.
There are a few urban areas too on some of the sections ...handy for a coffee stop Each section begins and finishes at a public transport tube or train .....
So ....free transport AND a certificate......lets get going!!

Last year we cam across this stone plaque with my inscription....can't remember which section though.image.jpeg

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Short walks this weekend due to extremely poor air quality. The devastating wildfires in California, Oregon and Washington are blanketing southern British Columbia with dense smoke. There is a kind of still hush and my village surroundings - mountain and island views, have disappeared. Deeply sad what is happening in those states.

smoky1.jpgsmoke4.jpgsmoke3.jpgsmoky2.jpg

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
There is a kind of still hush and my village surroundings - mountain and island views, have disappeared. Deeply sad what is happening in those states.
Take care, @Theatregal...not too many deep breaths.
These fires are a tragedy, on all levels.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Take care, @Theatregal...not too many deep breaths.
These fires are a tragedy, on all levels.
Yes, we're all staying inside as much as possible now. I keep thinking, this smoke will clear eventually and is minuscule compared to the tragedy of what people are going through south of us right now.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I headed out in another direction yesterday, and once again found lots of interest and beauty. And some sadness — like boarded up empty old town centers. Most interesting — a cemetery dating from the mid 1800s out in nowhere, and a Carnegie Library in a village of several hundred (Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish-American who gave away lots of his wealth, establishing Carnegie Libraries in thousands of small towns in the late 19th century.

But the exhilaration and sense of well-being that comes from self-propulsion through new terrain all alone with me and my thoughts reminds me why I am chomping at the bit to get back to the camino.

My goal is that by the end of the year I will be able to take a ride as many miles long as I am old in years. Thanks for letting me crash the group with my biking pics!

Attachments

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 July
On Sunday I made a trip to the Harz mountains. The trail is marked as "Oberharzer Klippenweg" or "Cliff trail of the higher Harz". Most of the Cliffs you can climb on.

9,9km and almost 500m elevation in 3h.
Harzer_Klippenweg_2020_14.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_15.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_17.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_18.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_19.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_24.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_27.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_28.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_32.jpgHarzer_Klippenweg_2020_33.jpg

Even in the Harz you find places with stacked stones near the trail.

BC
Roland

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Smoke from the wildfires south of our border still here though lightening a little today with some sun filtering through.
Yesterday, here in the Boston area, a continent away the sky was hazy but I didn't see clouds. I think it was west coast smoke. I was better today.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
On Sunday I made a trip to the Harz mountains. The trail is marked as "Oberharzer Klippenweg" or "Cliff trail of the higher Harz". Most of the Cliffs you can climb on.

9,9km and almost 500m elevation in 3h.
View attachment 83050View attachment 83051View attachment 83052View attachment 83053View attachment 83054View attachment 83055View attachment 83056View attachment 83057View attachment 83058View attachment 83059

Even in the Harz you find places with stacked stones near the trail.

BC
Roland
Interesting that heather is blooming in mid September in Germany. It's an EU country that I have not yet visited, but assumed it would be into the start of fall like here in the midwest USA, so a surprise for me to see the new, unexpected heather...but what do I know.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Interesting that heather is blooming in mid September in Germany. It's an EU country that I have not yet visited, but assumed it would be into the start of fall like here in the midwest USA, so a surprise for me to see the new, unexpected heather...but what do I know.

Heather here blooms normally half August till half September. But due to the extreme heat everything was blooming ( and drying out ) much earlier.

Due to the heat lots of trees are already losing their leaves. Weird to see the brown leaves when today it was still mid 20 Celsius!

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 July
Interesting that heather is blooming in mid September in Germany.
It's said that the best time for the Lueneburger Heide is from 8.8. to the 9.9., depending on the weather. If it is to dry, the blooming period is much shorter. But even on the last weekend some heather still in bloom on the Harz mountains. But that is a region with almost alpine weather-conditions.

BC
Roland

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
It's said that the best time for the Lueneburger Heide is from 8.8. to the 9.9., depending on the weather. If it is to dry, the blooming period is much shorter. But even on the last weekend some heather still in bloom on the Harz mountains. But that is a region with almost alpine weather-conditions.

BC
Roland
I love heather and have so far seen it in France, Spain and Ireland, not England or Italy. I have never seen it in my own country even though I have travelled quite extnsively here. Maybe other of my comrads have.?

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock