• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Led 61 pilgrims on a 6.5 mile walk through West Sacramento (California), an area that is considered a suburb and not really walkable. Introduced them to an overlooked river trail, told them of the 1928 Buster Keaton film made there, and shared a glass (or two!) of homemade wine with them at a nearby Portuguese festa grounds.

Pleasant walks are all around us, you just need to open your eyes, ears, and hearts to their possibilities.
7F7890B5-D2EC-4ABA-8006-E1BFEA1940F6.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a five week work contract in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Interesting coming from the west coast where early spring flowers are popping up, to a city still in winter. I’m enjoying it. Today some time to explore my neighbourhood on an urban walk with lots of warming tea stops! In the first and second photos you can see the phenomenal Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
View attachment 70671View attachment 70668View attachment 70669View attachment 70672View attachment 70673View attachment 70670
Thank you for posting these pics. Winnipeg is on my radar of places to visit, but I want to tie it in with a train ride to Churchill. Yes, in the winter too! 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I know of mistletoe and I’ve seen sprigs of it at Christmastime, but I‘m sure I’ve never seen it growing wild. I learned something new today.

Good old parasite really :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for posting these pics. Winnipeg is on my radar of places to visit, but I want to tie it in with a train ride to Churchill. Yes, in the winter too! 😊
:) Churchill is high on my list too! On my walk yesterday, I stopped in at the train station, to check on times for the trip, thinking maybe I could do a day trip. Ha! It takes 2 days to go to Churchill and I only have one day off a week. Ah well...someday most certainly !! I'm really enjoying Winnipeg. Highly recommend the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. The last photo I posted is St. Boniface Cathedral where Louis Riel is buried.

:) Churchill is high on my list too! On my walk yesterday, I stopped in at the train station, to check on times for the trip, thinking maybe I could do a day trip. Ha! It takes 2 days to go to Churchill and I only have one day off a week. Ah well...someday most certainly !! I'm really enjoying Winnipeg. Highly recommend the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. The last photo I posted is St. Boniface Cathedral where Louis Riel is buried.
Thank you for this; the Canadian Museum for Human Rights is on my radar, but I was not aware of Louis Riel’s burial place.

Yes, train travel in this country is a bit of an undertaking. I’m watching for Winnipeg / Churchill sales on ViaRail, but those seem to be as rare as hen’s teeth. Last year I ViaRail-ed Vancouver to Halifax, with stops in Toronto and Montreal. The colours on the prairies in June rival those I saw in the meseta in spring, but they were soft, muted colours such as I have never ever seen before. I will never forget them. 😊

3 years back, before I discovered the Camino, I hatched a plan whilst out on a walk. “How far could I walk from my house, using off road paths as much as possible, in a northerly direction from sunrise to sunset?” It intrigued me, and using a route plotting website I mapped out our route to take place on the the winter solstice. We found beautiful and interesting paths and walked through woodland, across nature reserves, parks, along the river Wandle, across the river Thames, through Hyde Park and finished (by good fortune) at Paddington station at sunset around 4.20pm after 33.8km. It was such a success, so I plotted another route, this time heading East on the day of the Spring equinox. This was a lot tougher, but nonetheless fun. A 6am start and a very undulating, wet walk, eventually led us onto the Pilgrims Way on the Surrey/Kent border. We finished about 20mins before sunset in a pub in Wrotham after 45km, where, being drenched through, we were pleased to find out there was a rail station down the road. One day, when I pluck up the courage, we will do the big one, south on the Summer Soltice from sunrise to sunset, and then complete the 4th, West on the Autumn equinox.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Short stroll around the village.
Seeing our country is in semi-lockdown and I am home from work for a week ( standard procedure now even with common cold ) it is even more important to get some fresh air.

Grey and gloomy sky but not cold at all. Spring is almost there.
No spectacular scenery but it always gives me peace of mind.

Attachments

• 20200314_165218.jpg
    20200314_165218.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200314_165932.jpg
    20200314_165932.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200314_164133.jpg
    20200314_164133.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200314_164257.jpg
    20200314_164257.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200314_164921.jpg
    20200314_164921.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
Peg and I took a short 2 hour hike in one of our three favorite local woods, this one being a state park with a leased farm inside. It was a sunny day but a bit cool and sometimes a breeze made it feel cold. We were astonished at the number of people there. We haven't seen it that crowded even in summer when the farm's ice cream stand is open. I guess it must be people anxious to get out while they can.

We avoided the crowds by walking a more remote section that we've never been on. Very pretty but it is difficult to get a pretty picture in the middle of a forest so I didn't even try. A highlight was hearing for the first time this year the mating calls of the spring peepers, a woodland frog.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3 years back, before I discovered the Camino, I hatched a plan whilst out on a walk. “How far could I walk from my house, using off road paths as much as possible, in a northerly direction from sunrise to sunset?” It intrigued me, and using a route plotting website I mapped out our route to take place on the the winter solstice. We found beautiful and interesting paths and walked through woodland, across nature reserves, parks, along the river Wandle, across the river Thames, through Hyde Park and finished (by good fortune) at Paddington station at sunset around 4.20pm after 33.8km. It was such a success, so I plotted another route, this time heading East on the day of the Spring equinox. This was a lot tougher, but nonetheless fun. A 6am start and a very undulating, wet walk, eventually led us onto the Pilgrims Way on the Surrey/Kent border. We finished about 20mins before sunset in a pub in Wrotham after 45km, where, being drenched through, we were pleased to find out there was a rail station down the road. One day, when I pluck up the courage, we will do the big one, south on the Summer Soltice from sunrise to sunset, and then complete the 4th, West on the Autumn equinox.
No doubt much of this is along public pathways? How I envy you British folk your public pathways. I am almost green with envy 🤢😊just reading the details of these walks. A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to stay two days in Maidstone, Kent. Our host suggested we go for a walk. What a delight it was to see there was a public pathway just steps from the house with, as I recall, lots of greenery ... and it included a traverse across a pasture, which was privately owned. That’s something practically unheard of in my part of the world. 😊

My phone battery died about five minutes after I left the house, so no photos. I had checked the National Health Service guidelines and had seen that I am not prohibited from going for a walk. The sun was shining at 07.37 as I left the house. A rare silence assailed my ears... very little traffic, and few people. By the time I reached the spot where I wanted to take two photos, looking up the river towards the city, and out towards the sea, I noticed my phone was dead. So, never mind.
It had a Sunday feel to it. Some people had a smile to return, others not at all. There was actually warmth in the sun, which was nice. On this regular short walk, I pass apartments that look out haughtily at the ocean, searching for “America”. It costs €10,000 a month to rent one of those. I took the opportunity to look for some mushrooms in a local shop, and was touched by the concern of the assistants - they know me - asking if I was ok, did I need anything. Then to another shop for mushrooms, as the first shop had not had any. A very cheerful Polish manager led me to the mushrooms, with a big flourish! Then a few moments later I passed a sculpture of the head of Luke Kelly. I asked him what he thought of the state of affairs. He died around 35 years ago, I think. A local hero. After crossing the road and seeing the progress being made on the Canal cycle path, a young woman stopped me - we usually meet on a Tuesday. She gave me the number of her house and told me to be sure to put in a note if I need anything. In no time I was home, and now am sitting with a cup of tea, telling you my tale.
I add a link to an article about Luke Kelly. One of his loveliest renditions is ‘See the child’.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fifth day of isolation. Walk around another block. Saw just one person but he was more than twenty metres away.
Visit to the sheep.

Attachments

• 20200316_140959.jpg
    20200316_140959.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200316_142205.jpg
    20200316_142205.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200316_142537.jpg
    20200316_142537.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
My 12 mile walk along country roads skirting the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge culminated here:

cme1UsU8griU5ujG-ZG61YUSUDDgNJlwbo0qvWt1PEJXumv1zlz17r2RVFUByKaF8KbDZCKaqnTgdCxWmcREiM31UelKE0ICceHjLTT9hKtwccr8VUNhgW1CP87K8LcFV_YkpuxuPlALmZR-tsgWsWTyV6zjiDHncIp7hFpTtvuurVvdZbYGC7nlcgUiBQqviw5RvrYx_ekKlDaIWyaQtkPRS2I2aqIyyk6szoxIjJ-YlZk98GBqnRUv7Fjedq5tkuYXtTf3D89lIkUOnmobds2DD6zH4X_9mWDQkSVBKLc98chaEkSWe__hjaH4Nx1sJkvCNT3iFr5WXNV6ZmZX2wE3A-Nf4lGrNrWhOwUmssP5ntwnfUyEFgsxfzUa8Psgj1uNNgdWLub14NYk1uE4yypW5W1CfAIqy80gD8dQdQgRXG3cWI2K8DIa5ZJOWe0xLQENZrGqtRsaTVrqXCKpZCm1yP6_xXDBZVsyAQ9tcfX518lQgeFFfYqI4CDldjZRfB_8aKcI7uZwR86SEIt6sz9MHiVgfjEvGGZYE6nYgFMJxdc-o0asReO6tz60q9HEWZBfOVMG4E1JR709TpxeNoTG-QPJa1brDzgURHC-YEXoQy58k6b569i1uspcwbRhbKJdRrsK0XeKmIlAxVgi0r6Rb-fVBdK2-pLFkqO2Hj1OTByd0ar1JfDF_F5I4A=w561-h748-no

The strangest ever St Patrick’s Day. Reminds me of a poem called Flannan Isle. You will find that online if you want to. Anyway, today my phone was charged, and I will add three photos, one looking up towards the city (Dublin) and the other two a few seconds apart looking out to sea. Plus a story about a kind of bridge for anyone who is stuck for reading material, and a cheery enough green emoji in honour of the day.
I was chatting at the regulation distance with a lovely young woman, a truly ‘typical’ colleen with a magnificent head of red hair. She has been more or less housebound since Tuesday, working from home. She was taking photos of the swans. Wise swans, not black swans, These swans were still asleep. After a while, we walked ahead and she went to one side to continue with her photos. I went my way and got home just before a shower. Now delighted to be about to make some bread and prepare a tea Brack. If I can find the recipes on my laptop I will post them on another thread. The photo of the
20422155-D7E3-4C6D-8A1F-0CCC079EA45A.jpeg453A5C56-1668-4251-AEBE-65770929AEA9.jpegBCE461D0-4AA4-41E1-A7C5-B7501E26F812.jpeg1D88F223-32D8-4F02-93C7-6430FED96C04.jpeg8331976B-4EAE-496C-AB28-4F453BCD7B3C.jpeg
text is about a particular type of bridge that is one of those things I walk past every day but only on days like today do I stop and read about them!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take care @jungleboy !
Try to enjoy that small walk even when the surroundings are less nice than you want to.
I tried and for the most part did. I brought our car to a garage for servicing and walked an hour and a half to get home along the town's main highway. Four hours later I walked back to pick the car up again.

As for a picture taken along the way know that the governor closed restaurants and bars starting today except for take-out or delivery. That led to this "protest" at the town common.
Screenshot_20200317-165335.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A last walk in Winnipeg enjoying the late evening light on the snow. Very quiet compared to when I arrived 2 weeks ago. No one on the skating paths or trails - only saw 2 people walking their little dog along the Assiniboine River.
Flew home yesterday morning and now in my 14 days of self isolation. I’m happy to live in an area where I can easily walk in nature and not be near other people.
ED39F593-B2C5-43C3-8234-690E6D365EC6.jpeg7ADF97DA-C002-421E-97C2-56CB36380F62.jpegDD2F365E-AC55-44DC-B952-F3E05BE22B7B.jpegDC4F5942-0D8E-41AF-8576-CE813EE5E950.jpeg4162B290-2538-491D-939A-EC8F1046F245.jpeg

Now that I'm on a forced 'vacation' for the foreseeable future, it was time to get out and be a 'tourist in my home town'. This is a viewpoint from a small park close to home called the Brick Yard. Nice way to start a day.

Brickyard-4.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Usual walk this morning. I stopped to take a photo of the Famine Statues. First time I have not had to dodge tourists. I just wanted to share a reminder of past miseries, and yet, like all the beautiful flowers and weeds, we do bounce back! For me the sign of that was the generosity in one shop, seeemingly one of many, offering special treatment to health personnel - free coffees and meals. I posted that photo on another thread, but here it is again. I think it is just such a lovely gesture - they have also introduced a collect or delivery service. Of course it is for their good, but it is still a lovely gesture.
sorry, famine statues are sideways on. Turn your head!

Attachments

• ECDBA1EC-4954-4825-96FB-92EDF2C5D9E2.jpeg
    ECDBA1EC-4954-4825-96FB-92EDF2C5D9E2.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 10
  • E5E8E6FB-919F-4CFA-9708-44D3BC44EBC3.jpeg
    E5E8E6FB-919F-4CFA-9708-44D3BC44EBC3.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 9
Today, a variation on a theme. Via the bottle bank, beside a car sales room, and then through a park to an off licence - closed, so no Belgian beer for Sabine’s recipe! No rush. On the way home, keeping my distance, the local heron...
please don’t ask why the photos turn themselves this way and that. Turn your head!!!
09D60CF7-69B9-4EE2-A797-6E1E2090BEC7.jpeg2BC8CB49-1424-4A72-8F3B-B6192D9D7F5E.jpeg8AC08EE5-C670-4449-A3AF-65BEA1B6A8D2.jpeg11AF9F42-47F7-417C-AEE2-4C85D7C03D20.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to everyone who contributed in the 2019 thread about all the lovely local walks.

Let's continue in 2020.
With my original plan to walk the CF next month (now dashed) I’ve been doing my own “Camino Boot Camp”, mixing it up with hikes with a dummy-weighted pack, 25 mile rides on my road bike, 7 mile runs and weight training. Despite the disappointment of cancelling, still keeping up the routine in the hope, Lord willing, this pandemic will run its course. Here are a couple of pics of my training hike on a beautiful Spring day in St Johns County, northeast Florida.

Attachments

• C68A0D24-7E92-4048-A344-F8FE7C3B71A0.jpeg
    C68A0D24-7E92-4048-A344-F8FE7C3B71A0.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • EAC0B25B-79C1-4FCC-B24F-25EDDA1EB256.jpeg
    EAC0B25B-79C1-4FCC-B24F-25EDDA1EB256.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Yesterday I did a 17 km walk. I asked Peg to bring me to Old North Bridge in Concord so I could walk home. The bridge is one of the sights in the Minuteman National Historical Park.
IMG_20200320_134923~2.jpgIMG_20200320_135403.jpg

Peg walked with me for a while.

Shortly after leaving the park we met a fellow, a park volunteer on a walk, who said that he was missing entertaining the visitors because of self isolation. (He was walking the other way on the other side of the road.) He gave us the opportunity to be entertained three ways, a history lesson, a science lesson or a song in one of 34 languages. We picked the song category and Peg asked for Catalan but he didn't know one in Catalan even though he spent a fair bit of time in Catalonia and at Monserrat when younger. We got one in Zulu instead and then that led to three different hymns sung to the same tune. This extrovert is going to have a really difficult time with the isolation.

Peg turned around shortly afterwards and I contined on. There were more people out walking than I normally encounter along this stretch. I must have come across a bit more than half a dozen singles or pairs over four hours.

Although I walked through suburban towns I had a good rural walk through woods by stitching together a number of parks, tree farms, town conservation areas and a wildlife refuge.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yesterday I did a 17 km walk. I asked Peg to bring me to Old North Bridge in Concord so I could walk home. The bridge is one of the sights in the Minuteman National Historical Park.
View attachment 71492View attachment 71493

Peg walked with me for a while.

Shortly after leaving the park we met a fellow, a park volunteer on a walk, who said that he was missing entertaining the visitors because of self isolation. (He was walking the other way on the other side of the road.) He gave us the opportunity to be entertained three ways, a history lesson, a science lesson or a song in one of 34 languages. We picked the song category and Peg asked for Catalan but he didn't know one in Catalan even though he spent a fair bit of time in Catalonia and at Monserrat when younger. We got one in Zulu instead and then that led to three different hymns sung to the same tune. This extrovert is going to have a really difficult time with the isolation.

Peg turned around shortly afterwards and I contined on. There were more people out walking than I normally encounter along this stretch. I must have come across a bit more than half a dozen singles or pairs over four hours.

Although I walked through suburban towns I had a good rural walk through woods by stitching together a number of parks, tree farms, town conservation areas and a wildlife refuge.
The Minuteman National Historic Park - Always one for a bit of trivia, I have to mention that you missed the opportunity of telling us that during The American War of Independence, the minutemen were able to be battle ready in one minute, hence the name. 😊 I think I have that right.
(I really enjoyed my autumn visit to your neck of the woods a few years ago. The colours were spectacular.)

The Minuteman National Historic Park - Always one for a bit of trivia ...
The militia dated back even earlier to what we called the French and Indian wars (and before that the Indian wars) put the younger, faster men in the minuteman category, good for example pursuing raiders that might have done kidnapping. The rest of the militia could take a longer time to gather to march to join other towns' militias. The oldest men would be around to escot townspeople to safer locations. Some of these, on the first day of armed conflict of the revolution, captured supply wagons on the way to the King's troops.
(I really enjoyed my autumn visit to your neck of the woods a few years ago. The colours were spectacular.)
Last October I was walking from Barcelona to Pamplona. There were more than a couple of days where I was wishing I was hiking in New England instead. If you are in the US in the spring I recommend Virginia.

A restorative 12km walk this beautiful fresh spring morning with nature alive all around. I went very early to avoid being around too many people - a few other early risers out and all of us keeping distance but calling out “good morning” with lots of smiles. It felt good. Found a new hidden path behind a row of dense foliage along the tidal flats. Also discovered a nice grove of hazelnut trees. An odd thing - one of my favourite walking paths along the river has been fenced off, as a seaside village set is being built for a Netflix horror movie 😟 Unfortunately it will probably just be sitting there for a long time because the movie industry is closed here now.
36F34E45-1092-4175-89F0-5A6F289BDEE7.jpegE8530811-FACE-42BA-A177-FA71415C0E8C.jpegDB94D935-F365-4B84-9569-B8AF91091171.jpeg6963E218-2394-4B7E-A2F9-5C9E6D32115E.jpeg7F1902A7-2438-4CCC-A8D0-A49B635D48FB.jpeg01926588-6D94-43FD-BA58-75FF1E7EBA07.jpegC20F6DC6-073B-451E-8DF9-0D5B227647D2.jpeg

€149,-
A restorative 12km walk this beautiful fresh spring morning with nature alive all around. I went very early to avoid being around too many people - a few other early risers out and all of us keeping distance but calling out “good morning” with lots of smiles. It felt good. Found a new hidden path behind a row of dense foliage along the tidal flats. Also discovered a nice grove of hazelnut trees. An odd thing - one of my favourite walking paths along the river has been fenced off, as a seaside village set is being built for a Netflix horror movie 😟 Unfortunately it will probably just be sitting there for a long time because the movie industry is closed here now.
View attachment 71537View attachment 71536View attachment 71538View attachment 71540View attachment 71539View attachment 71541View attachment 71542
You have such a great eye, like many of your avian subjects. Quite beautiful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven’t posted for some time despite lots of walking. This will probably be our last bushwalking club outing for a while as we go into lockdown this week 😷😥😷😥
A fantastic 13km walk near Warburton, Victoria Australia. All at a safe distance apart. A few steepish climbs, beautiful eucalypts, tree ferns, fungi, even wombat poo. For all you non Aussies.... check it out, it’s square !!!!!! Heard a lyrebird but as usual couldn’t find it 😕😕
Tunnels hand dug to reroute the river for gold mining in the 1860’s.
A real bushwalk, good both for the soul and the immune system. 😀😀😀😀

Attachments

• 41F5DEC0-F584-455E-88DC-F68D599C7844.jpeg
    41F5DEC0-F584-455E-88DC-F68D599C7844.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • E26AB77F-E652-4B79-92D5-70E76C581AD4.jpeg
    E26AB77F-E652-4B79-92D5-70E76C581AD4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • F9EBA9EF-C4A1-4C03-8C6D-22DD4D8B9E6E.jpeg
    F9EBA9EF-C4A1-4C03-8C6D-22DD4D8B9E6E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • B8756739-17B5-440C-BAEE-B8DB3408FBA6.jpeg
    B8756739-17B5-440C-BAEE-B8DB3408FBA6.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 2FEB03D5-BF24-4452-9DDC-1BD67BC97BC6.jpeg
    2FEB03D5-BF24-4452-9DDC-1BD67BC97BC6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 8A45AED1-A509-4796-A20C-D7EB2956A13D.jpeg
    8A45AED1-A509-4796-A20C-D7EB2956A13D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • BDBB9473-0E5B-4FEB-AD48-FF22B588A9DB.jpeg
    BDBB9473-0E5B-4FEB-AD48-FF22B588A9DB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 031F80B6-9D82-4190-82AB-4C16D59EDC24.jpeg
    031F80B6-9D82-4190-82AB-4C16D59EDC24.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • F55E7B6E-6485-4CB3-AE9B-9B11BFCC4B7C.jpeg
    F55E7B6E-6485-4CB3-AE9B-9B11BFCC4B7C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 55C48352-6A5D-4B57-A681-2925E0BA2EF0.jpeg
    55C48352-6A5D-4B57-A681-2925E0BA2EF0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
I haven’t posted for some time despite lots of walking. This will probably be our last bushwalking club outing for a while as we go into lockdown this week 😷😥😷😥
A fantastic 13km walk near Warburton, Victoria Australia. All at a safe distance apart. A few steepish climbs, beautiful eucalypts, tree ferns, fungi, even wombat poo. For all you non Aussies.... check it out, it’s square !!!!!! Heard a lyrebird but as usual couldn’t find it 😕😕
Tunnels hand dug to reroute the river for gold mining in the 1860’s.
A real bushwalk, good both for the soul and the immune system. 😀😀😀😀
I would really love to see your photos, I will try later on my laptop. Could have been my backyard, had I taken the £10.00 Assisted Passage from Scotland in 1969. Instead, I paid Aer Lingus the same for a one way ticket to Dublin. Therein lies the tale of a long life!

Here is a familiar walk, for me. I think the photos tell you where I went.To save you trying to work it out, I drove to the start of the Great South Wall and went out to the red lighthouse. Beautiful morning and most people ready to say hello from a distance. One lady stopped me to ask what I was doing - my physio exercises for my frozen shoulder. She congratulated me, being a physio herself, and told me to stick at it!

I am very sorry but some photos decide to upend themselves when attached using my ipad.
08154943-7150-4554-83D7-82DC15A577B2.jpegED1E6A18-07A5-49EF-A12D-D70356382FBC.jpeg6038048F-B675-4272-9831-010FE378DF74.jpegF2D0062C-199E-4BC6-8AA1-5F0E500C2D53.jpegB2B5BDAA-97AC-4FCD-8F7F-6DC649D9E8EC.jpg6F7D1C88-7C3C-4ED8-8EFA-1C53E218EF04.jpg
EDIT: as i negotiated the huge blocks of stone, i kept my eyes peeled to be sure I would not wrong foot myself, but I also swept the horizon, touching all four corners, and praying for all those I know or don’t know throughout the wide world in this time of trouble. A very satisfying element in my walk today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would really love to see your photos, I will try later on my laptop. Could have been my backyard, had I taken the £10.00 Assisted Passage from Scotland in 1969. Instead, I paid Aer Lingus the same for a one way ticket to Dublin. Therein lies the tale of a long life!

Ahhhhh the 10 Pound Poms 🙂🙂🙂
Hard to imagine our country without them.
Your choice all those years ago is Ireland’s gain and Australia’s loss.

My now daily walk led me to cry a little when I saw the first item.
Might it have been a seagull who picked it out of the box? Surely not a human being...
Then I looked and drank in the second one.
I breathed a little better.
A friend sent me this and include it here, forgive me as it is not from a walk.
Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.19.19.png
Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.19.43.png Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.18.45.png

I am making the most of my one-a-day permitted exercise outing by driving into the nearby West Kent/East Sussex countryside and exploring the maze of public footpaths (4400 miles in Kent alone) which I have almost to myself. I walked in Brenchley Forest yesterday, in beautiful spring sunshine. Daffodils and primroses are out, the hedgerows are starting to green, and newborn lambs are appearing in the fields. The Earth is waking up, and its eternal cycle continues, oblivious to our cares.

€60,-
My now daily walk led me to cry a little when I saw the first item.
Might it have been a seagull who picked it out of the box? Surely not a human being...
Then I looked and drank in the second one.
I breathed a little better.
A friend sent me this and include it here, forgive me as it is not from a walk.
View attachment 71905
View attachment 71906 View attachment 71907
Beautiful photo's makes people happy in those dark times 🙏

I am making the most of my one-a-day permitted exercise outing by driving into the nearby West Kent/East Sussex countryside and exploring the maze of public footpaths (4400 miles in Kent alone) which I have almost to myself. I walked in Brenchley Forest yesterday, in beautiful spring sunshine. Daffodils and primroses are out, the hedgerows are starting to green, and newborn lambs are appearing in the fields. The Earth is waking up, and its eternal cycle continues, oblivious to our cares.

You are still allowed to drive to another place to start your daily walk?
Not in Belgium anymore. Only in the immediate neighbourhood.

Please be careful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was lazy again: walked a bit, took a bus for a bit, and then walked home with the sea on my left. Tide was very low. A grey morning, but with any luck the sky will lift later. I found a piece of recycled tree fashioned into a mammal, a view from the walkway out into the sea, and a hilarious little daffodil, laughing away in spite of the railing and the tendrils of weeds trying to keep her down! Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 09.41.44.png Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 09.41.33.png Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 09.41.23.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A positive thing that's come of social distancing is the need to find more remote places for long walks. I'm discovering new paths or just being a little more adventurous and taking paths I knew about but was unsure of. We had a long stretch without rain (until today) and the tidal flats along the river dried up enough to walk far onto the marsh into areas where I usually (from a distance) see coyotes, hawks and eagles hunting. A fascinating adventure! Evidence of old paths, long vanished cannery docks and animal habitat. Everything still winter brown but every now and then a bit of colour with a strangely out of place clump of daffodils or graffiti left on a drift log. Remains of old power poles that Northern Flicker woodpeckers have chipped away at. So grateful to get out of the house and have this experience today!

EA7B31B8-C021-49F9-8A4D-34A223225D0F.jpegE90D71D9-1A11-4770-BAB7-31DFF6D5AFD2.jpegCCBE6004-A48C-435F-8811-442EEB2E0D78.jpeg18F26BF4-8E91-4C55-8A65-BA7E90468DDC.jpegE790E7D9-87A1-46A8-8CE7-A72553A5B1EF.jpeg268B9244-3581-4D51-AD41-9403EEF2BF34.jpeg01EA758E-028B-499D-B91A-035E1E7913C5.jpegD58FBF70-BCD5-4E4A-BD8C-81A391075FA3.jpeg023D641F-E705-4CF9-8396-1FC10E2FB78D.jpeg

Last edited:
If I had only known! As of now, I have to stay at home. Fortunately there is a lane at the back of our house, closed at one end by a wall and at the other by a gate. No traffic, except when other residents take their bins to the exit gate. So, I will check in when I discover how many times I must walk up ad down to reach a daily km amount. I think I will go bananas if do 10,000 steps, so 2,000 will be enough for a start!
Meantime, the hospitalero in Albergue Camino Real, Siguiero serenading us as he left to go to his music practice last year when we stayed there.
Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 11.38.47.png

An icy wind, with occasional sunshine: 3,846 steps, 2.8km. so, later, when I have warmed up, I will go out again. Not too bad. I must try to remember how many steps from one end to the other... I get side tracked!

This thread is liberation and space for any of us who are more confined! @Theatregal , your photos are especially welcome...but then I am absurdly fond of birds.

I've been walking 4-6Ks here, each day this week, back and forth for over an hour - 12 meters each way. This is partly in solidarity with everyone who is stuck in their flats, and partly because of cracking feet (so I need to keep away from the dusty path).

I think I will go bananas if do 10,000 steps, so 2,000 will be enough for a start!
Yeah, I understand. 😐
Finding something inspiring to listen to helps a lot. There are a gazillion podcasts out there, so if there is something you regularly listen to or watch live from a chair, chances are it'll be there as a podcast.

Attachments

• 20200328_084409.jpg
    20200328_084409.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

€83,-
it was about 15 minutes. Bitter cold except for the few moments of bright sunshine. So, if I repeat this a few times, I will manage a fair walk. One of the neighbours and her son waved encouragingly from the back bedroom window! nice way to connect.
I am going to include something here that I found in a new app for news in Ireland, showing how what I am doing under lockdown in the back lane would land me in jail where the author lives.

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 10.07.42.png Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 10.08.17.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A glorious Sunday and a break in the rain and overcast skies. Walked a new path - a 7 km loop around nearby Deas Island. Very quiet, only saw 2 others. The pink blossom is Salmonberry, my favourite spring blossom.
7881B334-839A-43AC-A4F1-6FF4D77E147D.jpegA9972429-81DF-4786-A5A3-D2593EF60844.jpeg71F121D1-8F52-4410-B876-6A09223720C4.jpeg4C1EB557-0A51-4B65-B40D-6433A4B8D883.jpegF5AA4C40-C6BA-440A-8CDC-2C41C8B593DF.jpeg252AB414-8479-48EC-B4DF-55E8906D7F6C.jpeg 6BD59721-226C-4720-9121-0A142718CD54.jpeg9C3223C9-58CC-44FB-AC76-42076925EF41.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the weekend Peg and I had a couple short walks, favorite loops at two of usual places. Both were wide circles around ponds. These were quite unusual though as we were seeing a number of families with young children out for a walk too.

Here's a couple of shots of the pond at the state park:
IMG_20200327_133945.jpg IMG_20200327_133814.jpg

At a town's conservation land we noticed a few new things along the trail:
IMG_20200322_154610.jpg IMG_20200328_144823.jpg

On Monday I was going out for a solo exercise walk; one too long and fast for Peg. I decided to modify it though. I've always done an out-and-back of 7 miles through woods, mostly on an overgrown road made in the early 1800s. It skirted some swamps on one side. I decided that it was time to see what was on the other side of those swamps. What a surprise. It was much nicer over there. I'm going to be doing a lot more exploring on those trails.

Skunk cabbage is starting to come up.
IMG_20200330_095507.jpg

Part of the swamp.
IMG_20200330_095637.jpg

Some of the trail. Sometimes there were board bridges, sometimes you used rocks.
IMG_20200330_095718.jpg. IMG_20200330_100556.jpg. IMG_20200330_101344.jpg

And it's New England so you know there are some rock walls around.
IMG_20200330_105147.jpg. IMG_20200330_112152.jpg

You are so lucky, Rick.
Here is my stomping ground pro tem:
View attachment 72302View attachment 72303
7km today!
Yikes! That looks like a kennel.

Thanks for your like on my previous post Kirkie. You must have had to force yourself with my misspelled childred. I actually (almost) corrected it before you saw the post but I needed to hit the save button more more time.

Today I took two walks. A short one before lunch at the state park with Peg and after lunch a two hour walk to explore more of Concord's Estabrook Woods that I walked Monday. Henry David Thoreau walked here but I didn't see him. I did encounter a woman with three kids and a dog and only three other pairs of walkers. Not the best day for a walk; it started out at about 5/40 degrees with a breeze and mostly cloudy in the morning and later it was a bit warmer, no breeze but no sun either.

Estabrook Road, neighboring swamp, old quarry, site of the Estabrook homestead, rock wall and survey marker at town boundry:
IMG_20200401_133315.jpg IMG_20200401_134020.jpg IMG_20200401_134621.jpg IMG_20200401_134948.jpg IMG_20200401_140904.jpg

A beaver lodge at Thoreau Pond. Thoreau's father had a mill at the outlet; the family business was pencils.
IMG_20200401_144350.jpg

Mink Pond. The boxes in the water are for nesting wood ducks.
IMG_20200401_150554.jpg

Last edited:
About 5 miles yesterday through Kent orchards around Brenchley. Talked to a farmworker who was cutting down some very old apple trees. He was 70 years old and had worked on farms in the area since leaving school at 15.
Very clear air gave views to the North, to the Greensand Ridge, and south to the High Weald. Blue skies and sunshine, temperature about 10 degrees. Hardly anyone about - village streets are deserted, pubs closed, only the occasional small grocery open for locals. Primroses, wood anemones and the last of the daffodils.

20200326_0053.JPG

You are so lucky, Rick.
Here is my stomping ground pro tem:
View attachment 72302View attachment 72303
7km today!

@kirkie We can call ourselves the lucky ones that we still have these roads to walk. Hey, that we are physically still able to walk at all!

Like on every Camino the roads are not always pretty and bucolic but always interesting!

Thank you for sharing.

@Glenshiro ah beautiful Kent with the orchards. Reminds me so much of our area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A penitential walkabout in a prison exercise yard? I admire your fortitude, Kirkie: you're taking your detention very well!
Actually, this morning I changed my tune. Instead of forcing myself to reach a km target, every step is for people I know and people I don't. I set my clock and so can go without counting. All I have to do is look up at the sky and you know, I am so much more fortunate - honestly - than someone stuck up in a block of flats with everybody else in the family, cooped up and snarling! Not that anyone on the forum fits that picture... No, I am truly thankful for being able to walk. One of my friends, since the age of five, is not so fortunate today, She is waiting in hospital for test results...
edit: results, negative for Covid19 thank God.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The primroses shown in #168 are very common in England. Wild plants are also a protected species but luckily they also appear in domestic gardens in the Spring to add colour.

This is the sort of place you'll find them and my daily local walk. New England looks a lot like "olde england"

Edit: Forgot to add the BPT "Old Way" runs through this small forest.

IMG_2100.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Found a new path yesterday at Iona beach on the north arm of the Fraser river with trails through sand dunes and fields. Vibrant bird life and colour with several varieties of minuscule spring sand plants popping up.

View attachment 72393View attachment 72395View attachment 72392View attachment 72390View attachment 72396View attachment 72394View attachment 72391
A second long look ( and of course your previous photos) confirms my assessment that you have a most wonderful eye for photography, and thanks for sharing it with us all!

I can still go for longer walks every day and if I plan carefully I can avoid too much walking on roads. It is a difficult time and I do appreciate my daily walks, the weather has been very nice and Spring is in the air.
I enjoy seeing your pictures and I do envy those of you who can walk out their front door and be in nature.

20200325_083406.jpg

A second long look ( and of course your previous photos) confirms my assessment that you have a most wonderful eye for photography, and thanks for sharing it with us all!
Ohh @kirkie Thank you so much. Long morning walks with my camera are a big part of my new daily routine in this current way of life :)

Soon Easter. #yomequedoencasa. We are allowed to walk. Pictures from my walk yesterday. Happy Easter to all of you.

Attachments

• F671CF0F-2C82-4405-A408-8A13AB9D32AF.jpeg
    F671CF0F-2C82-4405-A408-8A13AB9D32AF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 2C8AE25B-A88F-4B26-B620-847041F429AE.jpeg
    2C8AE25B-A88F-4B26-B620-847041F429AE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • AC13BA29-D5FC-4301-A9E3-557FBFAF51B2.jpeg
    AC13BA29-D5FC-4301-A9E3-557FBFAF51B2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
I walked 15km today. If you would like to know more, see if you can access this: kirkie47wordpress. The article is called A camino like no other. I didn't know where to post the story and don't want to cut across more important threads, so remembered about my Wordpress account.
Let me know if you can't access it. A great albergue by the way: door always open, no hassle, no need to carry anything at all except myself and my task: walking for all those working to save and care for those who have contracted the Covid19 virus.
A view of me walking westwards this morning:
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.44.11.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This thread takes on a whole new meaning as "walking locally" has become our "Camino 2020" for many of us. I love everyone's contributions here. I walk a local "rails to trails" most days, about a 3 mile gander. It's not very interesting, but only a few blocks from home so just step out my front door. I will bring my camera tomorrow and add my bit to this thread.
Thanks Sabine!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've spent the last two nights out in the garden, with my binoculars, looking up at the sky while the International Space Station was clearly visible from Ireland. And then, when it had passed out of sight, I remained outside, immobile but moved by the magnificent post-pilgrim pleasure of stargazing. Following the Plough and the Stars is an astronomical reward for not being able to travel far from home this Easter: binoculars are far too heavy to carry on the camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked 6 miles (10k) today on a trail 30 miles away from home. Beautiful weather and quite isolated in the middle of nowhere, close to a scruffy river. Was surprised to see the sign along the way!

Attachments

• 20200405_103416.jpg
    20200405_103416.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2020-04-05-14-17-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-04-05-14-17-23.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2020-04-05-14-14-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-04-05-14-14-40.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2020-04-05-14-22-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-04-05-14-22-16.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Photos are beautiful. What country were they taken in please?

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back