• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today was more of a mountain hike rather than a walk. Our targets were Thomas Mountain and Millstone Mountain sitting below Slieve Donard in the Mourne Mountains. Back in the mid to late 1800's thousands of tons of granite was quarried from these two mountains and shipped in the form of granite sets (cobblestones) and granite kerbs to pave the streets of Northern English cities. Millstones (hence the mountain's name) were also cut from granite slabs for use in flour mills. I wanted to photograph a millstone that I had seen on a previous hike but hadn't snapped. We finished our walk on one of the forest tracks which used to lead up to the quarries. About a six mile walk in total.

Thomas Cairn.jpg The cairn on top of Thomas looking across to Comedagh: second highest peak in the Mournes

Millstone 5.jpg Millstone cairn and Slieve Donard in the background.

Cut Millstone.jpg Cut millstone near the summit of Millstone (460 mts) Max is providing scale :) Roughly five feet across and 10 inches deep. You can see the pieces cut from the slab in the top right- hand corner of the photo.

Harbour below.jpg A view down to the harbour from which the finished product was shipped.

Mare & Foal .jpg A mare and foal from a team roaming wild on the mountainside.

Heather and Gorse.jpg Heather and gorse blooms along the trail.

Forest Path.jpg The track through the forest

An early walk in our local forest yesterday with 2 of the grandsons on the hottest day of the year

38c/100f approx
Brought a container to our local forest in case we found blackberries ...and boy did we find more than a few
Met some cows and walked in the shade

Then out for lunch wiitch them for the first time in nearly 6 months ...fish and chips eaten outside in the shade and well away from other small groups
Such a treat for all of us

Then home to bake the blackberry pie..or three! image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With the hotter weather, most of my daily walks lately are in the cool cover of the forest. Spent some hours yesterday exploring some new trails in the vast Pacific Spirit Park with lovely names like...Lilly of the Valley, Sword Fern, Heron, Salal, Salish, Newt, Vine Maple and Spanish. A sign on the Spanish trail made me smile...you'll know which photo I mean :) Along the Salish trail there was a cutout sign of a coyote reminding us that there were new cubs and moms in the area. Also signs of logging from over a hundred years ago with loggers notches in massive old cedar and spruce stumps.

Coyote.jpgLilly Trail.jpgLoggers Notch.jpgSalal.jpgSpanish.jpgSquirrel.jpg

Small forest little further away. Constantly hopping over the language border.

Attachments

• 20200802_093458.jpg
    20200802_093458.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200802_095713.jpg
    20200802_095713.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200802_102344.jpg
    20200802_102344.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200802_104956.jpg
    20200802_104956.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200802_110432.jpg
    20200802_110432.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Schaduw.jpg
    Schaduw.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 17
  • rijtje.jpg
    rijtje.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 15
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have had several walks lately on the Haldon Hills. Tracks over the open hill and also through the woods. Just right for warmer days. Spot the dragonfly in the second picture. It was well camouflaged but shows up more in the photo. :)

4466.JPG 4465.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A 20 minute drive to High Ongar and onto St Peters way
Through the wheat fields
Some harvested and some waiting to be harvested..reminding us of the Meseta, our favourite part of the CF
Then around the edges of the young cabbage fields

Onto Blackmore village where a pleasant surprise awaited us ....a large coffee, at half price courtesy of our Chancellor "Dishy Rishi"

The "Eat out to help out"scheme is available in August, Monday to Wednesday at thousands of pubs and other establishments all over the country.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Walked back to High Ongar and visited St Mary's Church
A four hour walk in lovely weather

So I was just complaining I hadn't seen very many snakes this year. Not that I necessarily want to, but I just like seeing all sorts of animals still have their population numbers up. When I came across this! I'm putting it behind a spoiler, it's a bit graphic. A dead giant rattler where you can see his last meal. Look at the water bottle for scale.
IMG_20200807_171045391.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fantastic pics TG. Sorry to be following up with today’s pics of the end of the Old Way. Totally disappointing as you finish on a bit of scrub land next to a golf course.

Hopefully no one else will make the same mistake. If anyone is thinking of doing the route, I’d suggest starting at Chichester Cathedral and finishing at Canterbury.

Attachments

• 255BB952-2870-49D3-B5C6-BD6A5F5E642D.jpeg
    255BB952-2870-49D3-B5C6-BD6A5F5E642D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 77FD30D4-1A56-44E6-B433-F6516051AC4F.jpeg
    77FD30D4-1A56-44E6-B433-F6516051AC4F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DDF11D2A-A99E-488E-A91F-6C193A4C676C.jpeg
    DDF11D2A-A99E-488E-A91F-6C193A4C676C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Continuation of St Peters Way from Blackmore to Margaretting ..a long walk over many many stiles ...not great for the knees ..we counted 30 there and back
Nice isolated walk but I was never so glad to see the pub at the end !!
Bless the Red Lion!
Had a coffee and back to Blackmore..a 6 hour walk through forests and fields with some very long grass!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Continuation of St Peters Way from Blackmore to Margaretting ..a long walk over many many stiles ...not great for the knees ..we counted 30 there and back
Nice isolated walk but I was never so glad to see the pub at the end !!
Bless the Red Lion!
Had a coffee and back to Blackmore..a 6 hour walk through forests and fields with some very long grass!View attachment 80479View attachment 80480View attachment 80481View attachment 80482View attachment 80483View attachment 80484View attachment 80485View attachment 80486
Was in the beer garden of the Red Lion on Sunday 😊

Was in the beer garden of the Red Lion on Sunday 😊
We just collapsed at the front of the pub just as it opened!
On Tuesday we will continue the Way from there as there's a good parking place opposite the pub
May get to Stock, or further... and just turn around and walk back
This will be the second time to walk St Peters Way
It's taking a bit longer this time as we're trying not to use public transport ...then again, we're not in any hurry!

We just collapsed at the front of the pub just as it opened!
On Tuesday we will continue the Way from there as there's a good parking place opposite the pub
May get to Stock, or further... and just turn around and walk back
This will be the second time to walk St Peters Way
It's taking a bit longer this time as we're trying not to use public transport ...then again, we're not in any hurry!
Myself and my wife are sitting in the garden talking about ways of doing the walk, maybe using two cars so we don't need to walk back to the car we could park one at the start and one at the end of the day's walk..we regularly do 10+ mile walks around the Brentwood, Shenfield, Ongar area.
Have a great day walking on Tuesday, hopefully it won't rain too much.

Myself and my wife are sitting in the garden talking about ways of doing the walk, maybe using two cars so we don't need to walk back to the car we could park one at the start and one at the end of the day's walk..we regularly do 10+ mile walks around the Brentwood, Shenfield, Ongar area.
Have a great day walking on Tuesday, hopefully it won't rain too much.
A very good idea
We don't mind walking back though as its a change of scenery going the other way!
So many great walks go through Ongar....the Essex way,and the 3 forests way and there's always the London Loop further in with some lovely countryside despite its proximity to the metropolis
Enjoy the walks.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You are all having far more interesting and beautiful walks than I.
I'm still in my corridor...which is very much a cloister at this point, and about the same length of the ones we see in Spain. Today I have walked a bit more than 11km, or so my lap-counter gizmo tells me.

It has open brick-work on three sides so I can see outside, but do not get the heat or rain that's going on out there. Here is 36 hours of a view of a cactus through the lattice on one end of the corridor. These days I'm taking delight in small things that might go unnoticed if there are vistas to be had.
Arising and Passing Away.PNG
(BTW, this is an oddball of a cactus originally from the Americas, the rose cactus, which has large leaves.)

@VNwalking, I believe you once posted a picture of your corridor. I imagine the floor being of some kind of terrazzo tile, which would make it very cool on the feet. Am I correct? Not that I'd recommend walking any distance with bare feet on tiles but, still, they'd be lovely and cool.

The City is nearing completion of a green beltway closeby and I use it to trek up and down the hill. One section is part of a creek restoration project aimed - in part - in rescuing a salmon run. With road construction nearby, a small stream has been rerouted and although some trees had to be cut down, they have been left as very tall stumps for birds and insects to live in. Adjacent to this is a section named the Rock Walk where people have been leaving painted rocks; one motif is a great commentary on our weather.

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg\

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
A walk to Terra Nova Community Garden and Sharing Farm. The beauty and life in this garden always help to restore my equilibrium.

View attachment 80546View attachment 80547View attachment 80548View attachment 80549View attachment 80550View attachment 80551
Beautiful photos...
I nearly missed the little bird in the second photo but knew that there would be a bird there somewhere.......and then we get 2 ..and a bee...you really do take some wonderful photographs

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With 33c forecast today, we started early on St Peters Way ..passing a very impressive tree!
Under the railway underpass..not made for tall people though!!
Short legs can be an advantage at times
Over the fields and into Stock village
It must be a very thirsty place as there are pubs galore ...5-6 but all closed as we were early passing by. Cafe closed as well...a lot of pubs for a small English village!!

Passed the windmill and a thatched cottage then back to the car ..at least 10 and 4.5 hours...did not meet any other walkers but the saying"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" came to mind!!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

On my short vacation-trip to the Allgäu, I walked almost 55km in three days:
Oberstorf: Breitachklamm and the mountain-way up to Austria, the Alpspitz, Edelsberg and the big walk down to Nesselwang, the walk around the castle Neuschwanstein and Alpsee. Partnachklamm from Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the footpath back to Garmisch.
Some pics:
DSC03098.JPEG
Castle Hohenschwangau and the Alpsee
DSC03139.JPEG
The famous Neuschwanstein-Castle
DSC03196.JPEG
Way up to the Alpspitz
DSC03207.JPEG
almost on top
DSC03217.JPEG
Summit cross on the Alpspitz
DSC03219.JPEG
View down to Reichenbach and the Grüntensee
DSC03266.JPEG
Entrance to the Breitachklamm
DSC03267.JPEG
Breitach
DSC03300.JPEG
Breitachklamm
DSC03313.JPEG
Rocks only held by gravity

We got back yesterday after spending a few days in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Our first hike was an easy one up a small mountain but one that allowed us a view of the bigger ones that the Appalachian Trail traverses. I'm guessing that these pictures cover 60 km of the AT and once done with these there are about 500 km more to go.

In the foreground is Mt. Madison with Mt. Washington behind it. The trail goes from Washington to Madison along a ridge with other peaks along it. It then descends out of sight to past the ski trails at the mountain on the left, Wildcat Mountain.
IMG_20200807_153914.jpg

Up Wildcat and along the ridge to descend and then ascend the cleft, Carter Notch. Then it keeps following the ridge until it crosses the Androscoggin River at the far end of the impoundment.
IMG_20200807_153923.jpg

IMG_20200807_153939.jpg

IMG_20200807_144435.jpg

We used to swap football cards when we were kids.
What a pity we can't swap countries now.
Would love to visit the places pictured above.

We have places here that are equally spectacular, but it's not the scenery that's lacking, it's more than that, it's the daily trek, the surprise encounters, the sharing of stories, the comradeship, the friendships, the countless days to reflect, the doing of the seemingly impossible and the end goal.
Russia claims to have found a vaccine.
Let's hope so.
In the mean time, happy exploring!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After leaving my home county for the first time since February, went to a family funeral in Wiltshire and then walked up to the Alton Barnes White Horse in the Vale of Pewsey. A hot day, but a lovely spot.

Attachments

• altonbarnes.jpg
    altonbarnes.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 11
I found this so fascinating that I wanted to share it with you. It has absolutely nothing to do with the camino ... except that the colours are almost perfect.;):):) My brother sent it to me. These are selected pics of a video; videographer unknown. (It seems the forum system won't allow me to post the video.)
IMG_1140.jpgIMG_1145.jpgIMG_1149.jpgIMG_1155.JPGIMG_1156.jpg
The macaw has plucked off a coconut from the tree and is having himself a drink of coconut water.

After leaving my home county for the first time since February, went to a family funeral in Wiltshire and then walked up to the Alton Barnes White Horse in the Vale of Pewsey. A hot day, but a lovely spot.
Thank you for this, @alansykes. Here is what I have learned today:
Alton_Barnes_White_Horse
:) :)

A lovely afternoon for me today. I took the gondola up our local Grouse Mountain, then trekked up to the Peak and back down. (My poles and past experience going down from Cruz de Ferro stood me in good stead on that stretch.) Then I checked out another area with a view to doing a longer hike another day. Can you spot the hang glider in the fourth pic? He hove into view just as I was setting up my shot.
IMG_1163.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1170.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1176.JPG

Another hot day so an early start along the lane in Stock
Luckily a lot of shade on this section, then through the fields

And who would have thought ...a special footbridge just for the pilgrims of St Peters way

A cool drink at the post office at East Hanningfield
On the way back the farmer harvesting the wheatimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.png

This is not a gorgeous photo like the rest of yours, but the shadows on my cloister floor were saying something worth repeating (It's the only time this has happened, a trick of light and shadow because of the way I hung my laundry up to dry):

Attachments

• lovewalking.jpg
    lovewalking.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
A couple days ago on one of usual local rocks we saw that the person leaving behind painted stones had mixed things up a bit to leave a safety message. The town put in a disk golf course in the woods this year. You might be able to see the red of a cage that serves as a "hole" in the background.
IMG_20200813_113117-06.jpeg

During yesterday's walk in a different location we had a companion for a bit.
IMG_20200814_120210-01.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is not a gorgeous photo like the rest of yours, but the shadows on my cloister floor were saying something worth repeating (It's the only time this has happened, a trick of light and shadow because of the way I hung my laundry up to dry):
Can't agree with you on this one VN!
It IS gorgeous...and it is special!
And it did make me smile
Perhaps a sign for us during these surreal times

Early morning walk around the hermitage in Vrijhern.Province of Limburg in Belgium.

Attachments

• 20200816_081650.jpg
    20200816_081650.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200816_082032.jpg
    20200816_082032.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200816_083220.jpg
    20200816_083220.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200816_083501.jpg
    20200816_083501.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200816_084114.jpg
    20200816_084114.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200816_090710.jpg
    20200816_090710.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200816_091046.jpg
    20200816_091046.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
A 6 mile walk in the local forest
A lovely church with some wonderful cross stitching on the prayer kneelers
Wood sculptures in the forest...apparently there is one of Dick Turpin, the famous highwayman of Essex but we could not find him!!.....ne must have been off holding up the stagecoaches.....with his manta of "stand and deliver"image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking the trails of Alaksen National Wildlife Area on Westham Island for the first time. A beautiful area with views along the Fraser River and across to my village - Steveston. Interesting to see it from this perspective. It was so quiet - I had the trails completely to myself.
Alaksen1.jpgAlaksen2.jpgAlaksen3.jpgAlaksen4.jpgAlaksen5.jpgAlaksen6.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hadn't been on a long walk for a while, so decided to take a stroll to the beach. 23 miles later I made it to Southend. (I got the train back 😊).
That's an impressive walk Mark..
Were you able to follow paths and tracks the whole way or was there any road walking?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I spent last week in a small retreat center some hours drive from home. The days are filled with silence, meditation and walks in the mountains. Everything is so different from home.A0FDB7D0-725A-4902-B2D4-442570CC766B.jpeg321E7377-3695-49DC-B364-7689BDB35861.jpeg163A0615-D251-4765-BBBB-5537E0D6F733.jpegF3D8F11C-60FE-4B94-BE1E-BFF74E2A0625.jpegD6A4DF73-1CE5-40C9-9281-8E6AA0AEC01C.jpeg93741FB7-6EEF-4733-876E-D61216778AF3.jpegCEABEFF0-F52A-4449-9CC4-8DF09068A48B.jpeg01087D41-9356-4020-9DED-5A654BA992FA.jpeg6E45175A-2851-4291-8EA5-E1AAD6DB7AB8.jpeg799258E6-BB48-43C0-83FB-B07F07C60B9E.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
local walk, within 2km radius... the canal section is recently opened and delightful to walk along.
B5B5F2C5-D095-4963-A9CE-7EB9412C3CC6_1_201_a.jpegC2CDB977-42EC-41A1-9007-7F09421FD800.jpeg402C82D8-883D-4900-91DD-9BE0483D2A0A_1_201_a.jpeg
I have just tried to see if they will open, and even though I inserted them as thumbnails, it is taking ages. Sorry about that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I haven’t contributed to this thread much, because I live where there is really no place to walk. But I have started biking and hope you won’t get mad if I post a few pictures from my first 50 mile bike ride.

Attachments

• E92733E3-4690-4D1E-BC89-504039A42810.jpeg
    E92733E3-4690-4D1E-BC89-504039A42810.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • E5675381-DDB2-4CB6-B12A-26A3F1EAF23C.jpeg
    E5675381-DDB2-4CB6-B12A-26A3F1EAF23C.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • CE01AD33-1E76-4185-9A9D-2895D8B69BAF.jpeg
    CE01AD33-1E76-4185-9A9D-2895D8B69BAF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 4ED4675F-0357-4619-B8C1-76D2C9F9EBF6.jpeg
    4ED4675F-0357-4619-B8C1-76D2C9F9EBF6.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 19
I haven’t contributed to this thread much, because I live where there is really no place to walk. But I have started biking and hope you won’t get mad if I post a few pictures from my first 50 mile bike ride.
It is lovely to see photographs of your bike ride. Some days I find it hard to make the decision whether to bike or walk. Though the wind sometimes makes that decision for me. 50 miles was a long way!

Laurie, it looks just like my neck of the woods. I walk and ride, too, seeing similar landscapes...the good 'ole Midwest USA

hope you won’t get mad
You better! We'd be mad if you didn't. (Well...I'm wildly enthusiastic, as I just have a cloister. So speaking for myself, that is. :oops: )

I love the shadow pic...that one and the rest of yours remind me of the meseta. I wonder how many people there think the landscape is boring?

Yesterday - for the first time in many years - I walked in the trails of Stanley Park, and with a friend who knows the park intimately. We saw fantastically shaped trees, a vanishing lake, and a gnome peeking out of his home in a tree. Also saw some bat boxes providing safe housing for urban bats (each of those boxes can accommodate 100 bats), Just before we got back to the city, there was a pileated woodpecker working diligently at his meal.
IMG_1210.jpgIMG_1212.jpgIMG_1215.jpgIMG_1218.jpgIMG_1216.jpgIMG_1217.jpgIMG_1228.jpgIMG_1236.JPG

Onwards and upwards On St Peters way, and in case anyone has plenty of energy, the Essex ramblers group walk the whole length of the way each August..41 miles in a day!!
East Hanningfield to Purleigh and back approx 12 miles
Churches
Friendly horses
Through farms and fields, and the weather stone giving a very accurate forecast ...better even than the BBC!!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

50 miles!
Did you say 50 miles?
Last year I rode for 20 miles and couldn't sit down for a week
That put paid to the cycling days

Beautiful photographs...when I think of America, these houses and landscapes are always the ones in my mind/ imagination

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, when the world tilted and we needed to get out, we had to go and walk my BILs dog Chester. Wife took this and called it”Bearded man with borrowed dog...”.
We have done this everyday since mid-March, but I have taken to wearing my Camino weight pack ‘for practice’...one never knows!

Attachments

• 27DF950D-8AC4-4667-9D9C-A0B5569CB0A1.jpeg
    27DF950D-8AC4-4667-9D9C-A0B5569CB0A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
The last but one stage on St Peters way
From Purleigh to Mundon by the fields where the little church of St Mary's is situated in an isolated spot
It dates from approx 1200
It is one of the unloved/ friendless group of churches and is looked after by the friends of unloved churches in the UK
Without this group, many of these churches would either be torn down, sold as houses or abandoned

Some very eerie trees behind this lovely little church...onto open fields and
Then onto Essex marches and into the village of Steeple where the church has a very tall steeple!
Returned to Purleigh by bus image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Yet another walk along the local canal. The water was silent. A view back at the reflection at a bridge I had just walked under, and a pair of little shoes, part of the Famine memorial walk that ends at the Liffey. You might have to tilt your device to see the bridge photo.
B2AC6D0F-E67F-4E3B-AA81-534273DB15CB.jpeg
567E85CB-4446-400B-9860-C42CA8F5BA6B.jpg

€149,-
A two hour walk today to run an errand. The sign amused me. I've heard of owls in wooded areas snatching the caps off of early morning runners and absconding with them, but the sign was a first for me. The soothing sound of a babbling brook. Then Vancouver's skyline across the water to the south, and the mountains to the north. I bused back home.
IMG_1249.jpgIMG_1250.jpgIMG_1259.jpgIMG_1254.jpg

Same corridor, same plants outside...but they never fail to wow me. Gorgeous!
And the mannikins are busy with their eggs right now...their nest is just a few meters away and I see them going in and out a lot, but they are too skittish to photograph, so I leave them alone...

Attachments

• 20200828_115035.jpg
    20200828_115035.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200828_115112.jpg
    20200828_115112.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200828_115143.jpg
    20200828_115143.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200828_115243.jpg
    20200828_115243.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Same corridor, same plants outside...but they never fail to wow me. Gorgeous!
And the mannikins are busy with their eggs right now...their nest is just a few meters away and I see them going in and out a lot, but they are too skittish to photograph, so I leave them alone...
Your pictures are spectacular, @VNwalking. How wonderful that such beauty is just outside your door. You may have mentioned it elsewhere but is it because of Covid that you are confined to your corridor? It seems a bit heartless that we post of our wanderings when you - and possibly others - are limited in your ability to go further afield.

€149,-
A mix of a little walking, cycling, train, cycling/walking. Too much work to calculate distance, this is my day off! It was lovely. On the train I had a set of 8 seats all to myself, with my bike in the space between. Cycling back along the Royal Canal, I took yet another photo of the plaque recording the Eureka moment of William Rowan Hamilton. Then further along, the swaying fronds of the canal side growth, and at the next lock, a story. I looked back to capture the swimming swans and saw two who seemed to be getting too close for covid comfort. Fluffing up all its wings and feathers, a very angry swan took off and landed plop between them. One got really scared and hopped up beside me... then they all settled down again. And I carried on along my merry way, till I greeted a poet who might have something to say to Malingerer/aka Samarkand...
I include a link to an article about the long reaching effects of Rowan Hamilton's graffiti...

IMG_5844.JPG IMG_5846.JPG Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 11.58.54.png Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 11.59.48.png Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 11.35.32.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I really appreciate how this thread has motivated me to pay more careful attention as I ride the back roads in my area. Though there are no Norman churches or dramatic landscapes, and though I would much rather be walking the Camino, there is no doubt that I am seeing my own back yard through new eyes and enjoying my Sunday rides very much. And the planner in me takes great joy in plotting out a careful route to new places and along different roads. :)

Attachments

• 708B5C4A-AEE0-4424-A677-5F3E5DABE6AD.jpeg
    708B5C4A-AEE0-4424-A677-5F3E5DABE6AD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 909E89D2-EB53-4E22-B681-81376D138484.jpeg
    909E89D2-EB53-4E22-B681-81376D138484.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 18
  • A43DB3B3-742B-4A11-8450-D913D9C2AB76.jpeg
    A43DB3B3-742B-4A11-8450-D913D9C2AB76.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 16
  • C8D7800A-A5DD-419C-8534-B50D8FF28B24.jpeg
    C8D7800A-A5DD-419C-8534-B50D8FF28B24.jpeg
    662.6 KB · Views: 16
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, oh oh. Lucky you.
Not lucky enough. I wanted to climb the tallest mountain in the range but early in the week the forecast was for possible thunderstorms. You can see in the forecast below why I didn't climb Wednesday or Thursday.

IMG_20200826_112517.jpg

6,288 feet = 1,900 m
0 degrees F = -18 degrees C
90 mph = 145 kph

10-15_WarningSign.jpg

Last edited:

€149,-
I walked a trail in Door County, Wisconsin along Lake Michigan a few days ago. Not exactly my home turf, but with covid restrictions many of us are venturing out a little further away since there is no camino for many of us this year...a lovely day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200830-151119~2.png
    Screenshot_20200830-151119~2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200830-151147~2.png
    Screenshot_20200830-151147~2.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200830-151425~2.png
    Screenshot_20200830-151425~2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Today I did some more exploring of nearby greenbelts alongside creeks where salmon runs are under rehabilitation. I was delighted to run into some stones and mud - reminiscent of the camino! :):) A good five hours of exercise; it went a long way in alleviating some Covid unvisitedness that I've been feeling. :)
IMG_1270.jpgIMG_1271.jpgIMG_1281.jpgIMG_1274.jpgIMG_1275.jpgIMG_1273.jpgIMG_1279.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I checked the forecast, the train timetable and out the door went me and my bike. 50 minute journey to a little town called Enfield, and a lovely cycle run of about 18km back to Maynooth, where I got another train back to Dublin. I saw an old telephone booth, fields of cows, a barge with solar panes dropping through a lock, and lots of people walking and running and cycling. The trains were almost empty so no problem with social distancing.

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.15.46.png Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.17.21.png IMG_5878.jpeg Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.19.11.png Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 15.21.08.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
They are super-efficient killers, to be sure. Mostly of mice, but anyone who's ever had a magpie stoop on them will attest to the power that even a smaller and less armed dive bomber can have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back