• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walking today along the trails of Burns Bog, the "Lungs of the Lower Mainland". Beautiful place to walk, especially through the forest on the wooden boardwalks that protect the ecosystem. Got a bit nervous though as it was a windy morning and at times the trees were swaying, squeaking and groaning... really! Whenever a strong gust came up, bits of bark, small branches and chunks of moss would rain down. Caught a glimpse of a Purple Finch through the thicket and a Hairy Woodpecker high in a cedar tree.

BB1.jpgBB2.jpgBB3.jpgBB4.jpgBB9.jpgBB5.jpgBB6.jpgBB7.jpgBB8.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
lupins in bloom
Reminds me that one of my daughter’s favorite books as a child was Miss Rumphius, by Barbara Cooney. Based on a real woman who was the “lupine lady” and planted lupines everywhere. Every time I see them in bloom I remember the book and its refrain — you must do something to make the world a more beautiful place. Thanks @Icacos.

Reminds me that one of my daughter’s favorite books as a child was Miss Rumphius, by Barbara Cooney. Based on a real woman who was the “lupine lady” and planted lupines everywhere. Every time I see them in bloom I remember the book and its refrain — you must do something to make the world a more beautiful place. Thanks @Icacos.; I did not know the story of the “lupine lady.” To tell the truth, I’ve been thinking about seruptitiously scattering around some wild flower seeds myself. This story may just give me the impetus I need.
It’s great to learn this; I did not know the story of the “lupine lady.” To tell the truth, I’ve been thinking of surreptitiously scattering around some wild flower seeds myself. This may just give me the impetus I need!

And ... now I know why autocorrect kept changing my ‘lupins’ to ‘lupines.’ 😊

«Hot summer day « today, +15C, sun and no wind. Tried to reach my top of the hill through the snow but had to give up halfways. Hope the snow disappear soon.

Attachments

• EE33AF85-3758-42FE-961D-CD173CDF6D1F.jpeg
    EE33AF85-3758-42FE-961D-CD173CDF6D1F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • C30CDEE0-D0C4-483C-BB10-6E8888BE729C.jpeg
    C30CDEE0-D0C4-483C-BB10-6E8888BE729C.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking my favourite 10km close to home route today. Through a wooded area, past our community garden into the Terra Nova Natural area, following the west dyke trail and the river to home. Along the way two hunting coyotes and spring wildflowers - Chives, Beach Peas and the glorious Yellow Flag Irises. Nearing home, I shared the path with some new Canadians.

TN4.jpg Terra1.jpg TN2.jpg TN6.jpg TN5.jpg TN11.jpg TN7.jpg TN9.jpg TN3.png TN10.jpg

Walking my favourite 10km close to home route today. Through a wooded area, past our community garden into the Terra Nova Natural area, following the west dyke trail and the river to home. Along the way two hunting coyotes and spring wildflowers - Chives, Beach Peas and the glorious Yellow Flag Irises. Nearing home, I shared the path with some new Canadians.

View attachment 100576 View attachment 100573 View attachment 100574 View attachment 100578 View attachment 100577 View attachment 100582 View attachment 100579 View attachment 100580 View attachment 100575 View attachment 100581
Omg!! Wow to these. The colour ! & the yellow irises !! +++++++++ and the coyotes 😮 Spring is beautiful on your walk !! I would love to have been there ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Reflections in this year of Covid.

As far as I can see, life is one long, slowly unfolding tragedy punctuated by brief moments of joy. For me, the Camino was and is one of those brief moments of joy. Small wonder we want to do it again, and again and again.
21D83FD5-7324-453C-8D61-56BFD56FD177.jpeg 926170EA-DCEB-4C1D-9EE1-B0D8D3977793.jpeg 8A8F9091-646E-40A6-AE34-F605AFF03B90.jpeg
1. Portland. 2. Port Fairy. 3. Peterborough, Bay of Martyrs.
The Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia.

Last edited:
Yesterday I roamed the streets of Agen celebrating with all the world. Finally, after many dreary months the cafés have reopened. After which I visited the Musée des Beaux-Arts and spied a ceramic platter serving amidst fronds of seaweed and foliage, a snake and several little fishes, a frog, lizards, crawleys, crustacions and a worm.

IMG_7974r.JPG
*Platter by Bernard Palissy (16th century)
+ caterpillar

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yesterday I roamed the streets of Agen celebrating with all the world. Finally, after many dreary months the cafés have reopened. After which I visited the Musée des Beaux-Arts and spied a ceramic platter serving amidst fronds of seaweed and foliage, a snake and several little fishes, a frog, lizards, crawleys, crustacions and a worm.

View attachment 100661
*Platter by Bernard Palissy (16th century)
+ caterpillar
Lovingkindness,
Your platter photo is perfect to commemorate France's reopening!
Thanks for sharing.
Palissy's trompe l'oeil work is such fun. He had a huge kiln in the Tuileries Garden, Paris, during the 16th c.; a street in the 6th arrondissement is named for him.

Last edited:
@mspath, Hello!
...it is thought that Bernard Palissy was born in St Avit, a hamlet through which I walked this Sunday past. I was hoping to encounter frogs and a snake and other greeblies in honour of his work but the only thing seen, apart from a little stone fish was a slimy limace:

IMG_7849r.JPG

Last edited:
@mspath, Hello!
...it is thought that Bernard Palissy was born in St Avit through which I walked this Sunday past. I was hoping to encounter frogs and a snake and other greeblies in honour of his work but the only thing seen, apart from a little stone fish was a slimy limace:

View attachment 100671
Did you enjoy some famous Agen prunes while there ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was something yellow in the sky this morning that impelled me out of the house. I rushed along to catch a local train and started walking back home, along by the coast, from the south side of the city, so the sea was on my right. My distance app tells me it was around 18km from point to point. There is a spot known as Seapoint. It was only about 9am, and the temperature was not high, but there were up to a hundred people already in various states of readiness either to go in or to get dried off after a swim in the icy waters. Soon after, the cormorants. Then, a different view of the twin towers of the now disused Pigeon House towers from the usual one from the Northside vantage point I generally post. Taken through the trees edging the nature reserve. Finally, a sign of NORMAL SERVICE BEING RESUMED... the toll bridge opened, to let through one of the very first Dublin Bay tourist trip journeys...

IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7217.JPG IMG_7218.JPG IMG_7219.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Map: Saint-Sardos in a grand loup via Lacepede and Quittimont (24 km)
InkedCapture web_24-5-2021_171418_www.geoportail.gouv.fr_LI.jpg

1r.jpg2r.JPG3r.JPG
IMG_8184r.JPGIMG_8188r.JPGIMG_8187r.JPG
IMG_8311r.JPGIMG_8344r.JPGIMG_8343r.JPG

*(3-5) Église Saint-Sardos de Saint-Sardos (12th century restored): exterior capitals dismounted, displayed inside the church. The exterior of the church can be seen here #505

Ps Quittimont is equidistant, roughly 12 kilometers between Clairac to the left (Voie de Vézelay/GR 654E) and Laugnac to the right (Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652).

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€60,-
Following a new path through a field of buttercups into a wooded area at Terra Nova natural area. I say "new" because someone has tried to close the entrance to this 1 km stretch through the woods with a fence on either end. Walkers will not be stopped :) An alternate route has been created on one end by the footsteps of locals who walk this path daily. At the other end, the fence has been pulled aside. I met a woman who lives nearby and she has been walking the path for over 20 years and nobody knows who put up the fences.
I saw an Olive-sided Flycatcher high in a tree catching dragonflies and got a quick shot of a Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly.
TN3.jpg TN2.jpg TN5.jpg TN1.jpg TN4.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have discovered places on my doorstep that I never knew existed.
One word.
Bliss.
View attachment 101170 View attachment 101171 View attachment 101174
Haven’t we all Lexicos!
so glad you have found some nice places near to you.
we realised this over a year ago that in pursuit of travelling to other countries we did not know of the beautiful places within spitting distance of our homes.
We know now though and with a greater appreciation of where we live.
Armed with a pile of 1:25000 maps of Essex, we set off and had a great years walking a bit further afield too

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sunday morning: sunrise 5.05. I don't need to close curtains, so light calls me early. Out towards the statue at the end of the Wooden Bridge. I took some words from a speaker on the point of a journey...
At the end of the wall, I found a Deliveroo worker listening deeply to some clearly religious songs, in Spanish. Did he sleep there all night? Was he safer there than in town? I left him in peace. Most of us are so fortunate, we can sleep in safety.
I include a quiet little video, where you can hear the seagulls, and almost smell the seaweed! From the position of the sun, and the date, it was probably taken mid to late afternoon, facing west. For visitors, bicycles to rent are easily found in the city, many of them electric, and the path out is smooth and flat.
1A107178-EE62-4FF6-8AEA-52926178176C.jpegD70E7D89-6FCF-4918-8A39-9FE573CC6786.jpegFD26363F-BEC8-48C2-B5B0-C408132FC6FB.jpeg2164C9A9-E911-4960-87A7-53775A5C38DF.jpeg

Sunday morning: sunrise 5.05. I don't need to close curtains, so light calls me early. Out towards the statue at the end of the Wooden Bridge. I took some words from a speaker on the point of a journey...
At the end of the wall, I found a Deliveroo worker listening deeply to some clearly religious songs, in Spanish. Did he sleep there all night? Was he safer there than in town? I left him in peace. Most of us are so fortunate, we can sleep in safety.
I include a quiet little video, where you can hear the seagulls, and almost smell the seaweed! From the position of the sun, and the date, it was probably taken mid to late afternoon, facing west. For visitors, bicycles to rent are easily found in the city, many of them electric, and the path out is smooth and flat.
View attachment 101343View attachment 101344View attachment 101345View attachment 101346
I love when names are provided. 😊
I’ve checked out The Wooden Bridge on Google Earth. 😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think that my now almost one year of regular rides out in the country has made me feel the changing of the seasons in a way I didn’t appreciate before. Sure, it’s industrial agriculture, but even so, the planting, sprouting, growing, harvesting, and then lying apparently barren till the cycle starts again is an incredible affirmation of the circle of life. The first shot reminded me of @SabineP’s church!

1CDE7E3D-9378-47D8-8BAC-0BA514B5F660.jpeg0244B5E5-95E0-4CD2-872C-39C607F53687.jpeg2D68C412-21B6-485B-A902-6DF99BC6DA1D.jpeg521C9A19-142D-4ED3-B2E8-8A093B27428D.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
8km in the Bode-Valley, a small river valley in the Harz mountain-range:

Bodetal_kl_1.jpg
The "Rosstrappe", famous landmark
Bodetal_kl_5.jpg
View from outlook near the "Hexentanzplatz" ("Witches Ballroom") towards the town of Thale
Bodetal_kl_8.jpg
view down to the valley
Bodetal_kl_11.jpg
the ways, zigzagging over 300m descent through the forrest
Bodetal_kl_12.jpg
The Rosstrappe again, view from other side
Bodetal_kl_14.jpg
Bodetal_kl_16.jpg
Bodetal_kl_17.jpg
Views from the river Bode
Bodetal_kl_19.jpg
Rocks near the Hexentanzplatz

BC
Roland

Attachments

• Bodetal_kl_7.jpg
    Bodetal_kl_7.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
6km at the "Devil's Wall" near the town of Quedlinburg and a city-walk in Quedlinburg

Bodetal_kl_22.jpg
The Devil's Wall, a rock-formation from the cretaceous period
Bodetal_kl_23.jpg
view to another part of the "Teufelsmauer"
Bodetal_kl_24.jpg
The "Emperor's Spike"
Bodetal_kl_25.jpg
another part of the Devil's wall, in total it stretches more than 20km from Ballenstedt to Blankenburg
Bodetal_kl_27.jpg
near the banks of the river Bode
Bodetal_kl_31.jpg
St. Benedictii, the Marketchurch of Quedlinburg
Bodetal_kl_32.jpg
view of the half-timbered-houses, mostly well preserved
Bodetal_kl_36.jpg
the "drunken raven" of the Höllenhof (Hell's courtyard), founded in 1215
Bodetal_kl_39.jpg
view of the "Sternkiekerturm" (tower of the starwatcher), one of the old watchtowers of the fortification of Quedlinburg

BC
Roland

Last edited:

€60,-
Another voyage of discovery for us and less than 7 miles from home
Perhaps I should have known about this walk as I'd worked in and around the area at the start of the walks or years ....obviously work got in the way back then!
Drove to Chingford area and onto the Lee valley Way walk
The river which is approx 50 miles long starts in Luton and flows down to the Thames, has in parts been made into a canal with many "locks" which enable the "narrowboats" to pass up and down the canal.
Locks are devices used for raising and lowering boats between stretches of water of different levels on rivers and canals
Most in the UK are worked manually which can be hard work but we've seen some in France which are mechanised.

A lot of narrowboats seen all the way
Some used for holiday lettings and river adventures but more recently as homes for many people iin and around the London canals due to the high rents and house prices ..some are really beautiful inside with all the mod cons

We walked to Cheshunt and thought about getting a bus back but it was too fiddly to organise so we walked back stopping in the lovely little town of Waltham Abbey for coffee and again at the Greyhound pub....also did a detour to the Lee valley country park ..so a total of 17 km and a lovely tranquil walk by the waterimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Buongiorno @Esauro57

Novara looks like an interesting place to explore. I have just discovered this site:
Amici di Santiago Novara! Perhaps you have walked a few of these trails, too.

View attachment 101607
* Trails in the diocese of Novara
Thank you for your precious information :) ...Will try to walk to one of those proposed in the near future!... I would like to get my second covid shot first then try the Francigena ...starting from my doorstep...Trecate to Rome ...this is one of my dreams right now...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, those rice fields
won’t forget them in a hurry on the Via Francigena
we were nearly eaten alive by the mosquitos back then
I’d risk it again though!
Me too... and how about the clouds of vapour rising from the fields, hitting one in the face. It was like walking through a sauna for days on end, not to mention the suffocating nights! I met three teenagers with swollen faces just after they had exited the Po valley. They had slept outside without anything to cover their faces and been tortured by the mosquito...

Thank you for your precious information :) ...Will try to walk to one of those proposed in the near future!... I would like to get my second covid shot first then try the Francigena ...starting from my doorstep...Trecate to Rome ...this is one of my dreams right now...
You're welcome!

At last I could walk to my local hill today without walking in snow. My homeplace Tana was the hottest place in Norway yesterday, +29 C. The river is open, summer showed up and I had a midnightsunwalk to the top of the hill, having a break with coffee in the sun.

Attachments

• B2A2C0EF-0BAA-439B-A57F-7987C562A982.jpeg
    B2A2C0EF-0BAA-439B-A57F-7987C562A982.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • CCE90037-4EE9-466D-B8E9-85839FC92B85.jpeg
    CCE90037-4EE9-466D-B8E9-85839FC92B85.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 9DE2A14E-DF6C-499D-9B7F-420BBEAAE658.jpeg
    9DE2A14E-DF6C-499D-9B7F-420BBEAAE658.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Map: Agen. The Hermitage via Monbran. Circuit 424
Capture web_4-6-2021_154829_www.geoportail.gouv.fr2_LI.jpg
From Agen railway station to Vérone one follows le Chemin de Saint Jacques (GR 652) before turning left to Monbran. Later one returns to the pilgrim trail beside the Agen Canal.

IMG_9221r.jpgIMG_9227r.JPGIMG_9238r.JPGIMG_9256r.JPG
(1) orange dots: Caprasius of Agen (4th century martyr) is said to have lived here as a hermit at the time of the persecution of Christians by Dacien, prefect of Gaul. Caprasius and others took refuge in the prehistoric caves dug into the southern slope which dominates the city. Sent by Maximian, Dacien massacred the Christians of Agennum on October 6, 303. Later, in the Middle Ages hermits set up their cells in the cliffs, devoting themselves to solitude and prayer and also to welcoming crowds of pilgrims (1). To the left of the caves but not in the photo is a monolithic chapel built in the 12th century to honor the martyr Vincent of Agen (3rd century).

(2) View down to Cathédrale Saint-Caprais d'Agen.

(4) The road to the right is where the pilgrim trail (GR 652) continues. Here, I turned left, direction Monbran.

IMG_9299r.JPGIMG_9317r.JPGIMG_9371r.pngIMG_9411r.JPG
(5) Monbran

(7) Café Velo! Beside the Agen canal bridge is a real gem, situated in an old water works building. Here cyclists can store their bicycles, take a shower then spin their laundry whilst sipping coffee and eating delicious food...

(8) finishing beside the Agen Canal. What a pleasant day!

Last edited:
I include two photos. One from the other day, and one from today. The short greeting on the plaque is a testament to at least two realities from times past. The statue was paid for by subscriptions from taxi drivers, in an age when Catholic religious practice still had a dominant place in this country where I live. The tribute is replicated in various ways around the city, paid for by a range lcategories of workers - bus drivers and port workers as examples. The second reality is clear in the misplaced apostrophes! That is another whole story. The descendents of those guys are now cool as cucumbers, deftly managing zoom calls for their online literacy classes!
Today's photo was taken at the end of a stroll on my bike, along the city quays. The silence was a gift!
My reflection during the ride was on history, herstory, mystory.
At many points I thought: where were my people 200 years ago? I know some of them, on my paternal side, were scratching a living in the Inishowen Peninsula in the North West of Ireland. Some of them went to Canada, some to USA, some to Australia and New Zealand. Our family name is not too common, so most likely the links are pretty close for anybody with the same surname!
Where were your people 200 years ago? I don't know where to post a further question, so it will stay here: many people ask, why do you walk 'The' Camino? Perhaps, a longing to connect with where we come from... I had wanted to use the adjective inchoate, but am not sure enough that it is true expression of the deep longing within to identify our beginnings... I believe that in some way the draw is linked to connecting with beginnings.
Enough! The photos.
E636D926-3CC3-4400-990A-21747BE5B6A6.jpeg9C3C9F96-C086-4611-91EC-5B47E1A53967.jpeg

June Bank Holiday. Not blazing hot, but a promise of higher temperature later in the morning. The silence was remarkable. Even the seagulls were whispering.
Edit: not sure if video will play.

Attachments

• 83C079F3-A296-4779-BDA9-A8164B6FDBCE.jpeg
    83C079F3-A296-4779-BDA9-A8164B6FDBCE.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0849.MOV
    25.3 MB

€149,-
A walk/cycle/run with two of the grandsons ...about 9 km
They cycled. We walked unless they got far too far ahead and then we trotted
Cool under the trees and a few yellow arrows to guide the way......remembering those yellow arrows was I !!
The lure of the climbing tree could not be resisted though
Coffee, chips and ice cream at the Kings Head pub and back to Loughton where we had a meal at The Last Post pub
This was a former central post office built in the inter war years to serve the fast growing town of Loughten, now just on the outskirts of London

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Into the forest, feet dragging through sand. Vineyards with views across the Garonne valley.

Map: Circuit 72 Saint-Pierre-de-Buzet (11.7 km)

IMG_9546r (2).JPG IMG_9569r.JPG IMG_9583r.JPG IMG_9566r.JPG
(1) Église Saint-Pierre (12th century) at Saint Pierre-de-Buzet

IMG_9585r.JPG IMG_9588r.JPG IMG_9592r.JPG IMG_9618r.JPG
(7) wrought iron gate

Eglise Saint-Pierre à Saint-Pierre-de-Buzet - PA00084240 - Monumentum
“The church appears to have been part of a monastery whose location can still be seen. It is a Romanesque church of quite exceptional elevation. Square-shaped fortified bell tower, the sharp gable bearing the bells being posterior. The interior retains small columns with carved capitals. The vaults were redone, those of the nave having been lowered. Under the bell tower is an imposing round pillar.” (Google translate)

IMG_9521r.JPG IMG_9506 (3)r.JPG

[Edit] ps Saint-Pierre-de-Buzet is 8.5 km from Aiguillon and 10 km in another direction from Vianne, two towns through which pilgrims pass on the GR 654-Est, a variant of the Voie de Vezelay which runs rom Bergerac to Montréal-du-Gers.

Last edited:
13,000 steps today; some areas more interesting than others
- a rose bush at its best
- completely new to me, a ‘bike slide’
- flowering thyme making the bees very happy
- a bear atop someone’s car port, made of pieces of driftwood and thoroughly weathered by the elements
I finished my wanderings just in time for my afternoon coffee, an iced latté at a favourite haunt, sitting in the sun. Then I bused home
F3AFE410-B37D-4AAB-B346-8001A77E7135.jpegFE875923-0904-4697-B433-5585A1B1549B.jpegF7763BF4-F74A-4A9A-BDA3-35D5A7CE9944.jpegEFC49F90-4CEF-41E6-9906-7F80E1680C9E.jpeg

Santa Monica.

Attachments

• 3AF5A8D2-2A34-442F-8BFB-D2721F6C10E4.jpeg
    3AF5A8D2-2A34-442F-8BFB-D2721F6C10E4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 9A046220-14D8-4B82-9942-9C9E157D5452.jpeg
    9A046220-14D8-4B82-9942-9C9E157D5452.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 546574FF-63F8-42D0-8F84-D9F349E6FCDB.jpeg
    546574FF-63F8-42D0-8F84-D9F349E6FCDB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • C36DF4CA-F51E-4194-93B4-24ED4A05BBB1.jpeg
    C36DF4CA-F51E-4194-93B4-24ED4A05BBB1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 742A8ECD-9800-4AE3-8192-6ABDAD38A555.jpeg
    742A8ECD-9800-4AE3-8192-6ABDAD38A555.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
Our first day on the Essex Way from Epping to Harwich....80 miles long and all through very rural countryside .

In 1971, the way came about as a result of a competition between Essex schools to select the best and most interesting track for such a footpath
The winners were the work of Chelmsford Technical High School
Fairly well marked, we walked through and around fields, lanes and forests
A lovely coffee stop at the Green Man pub at Toot Hill whilst listening to the water fountain

Onwards to Greenstead Church ... St Andrews the oldest wooden church in the world and rhe oldest in Europe still standing
It dates back 1200 years with a have dating back to between 845 and 1063
The church represents some 1300 years of Christian worship
Near the door is the grave of a 12th century crusader

On to Chipping Ongar where we got the bus and tube home
A great 13 km walk in beautiful weather

Attachments

• 4FBE68B3-2845-4E93-81CF-01E1B801B463.jpeg
    4FBE68B3-2845-4E93-81CF-01E1B801B463.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • B3C94E94-4A93-4297-8BBC-CD51250A0E9B.jpeg
    B3C94E94-4A93-4297-8BBC-CD51250A0E9B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 4DDE1DA9-8DB5-40A7-AF23-BE7C78AF4CE5.jpeg
    4DDE1DA9-8DB5-40A7-AF23-BE7C78AF4CE5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • FF9EC6CE-68F7-4E8E-A212-FCF3A4299F15.jpeg
    FF9EC6CE-68F7-4E8E-A212-FCF3A4299F15.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • EFAF9DDF-CC30-4C36-9CAA-2F030844443D.jpeg
    EFAF9DDF-CC30-4C36-9CAA-2F030844443D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 8E7AEC14-2D73-4B0D-AF49-A7AFDA8A8439.jpeg
    8E7AEC14-2D73-4B0D-AF49-A7AFDA8A8439.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 887FB18A-A128-4A7A-B3B4-46BC6DC06156.jpeg
    887FB18A-A128-4A7A-B3B4-46BC6DC06156.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • AD402FA4-BC20-4954-90C3-801EFF1BC95C.jpeg
    AD402FA4-BC20-4954-90C3-801EFF1BC95C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 22699DAB-5691-4AB6-869E-9FFEAC2BC606.jpeg
    22699DAB-5691-4AB6-869E-9FFEAC2BC606.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 1D4C514F-F700-43A6-A0A2-D979053D8C69.jpeg
    1D4C514F-F700-43A6-A0A2-D979053D8C69.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

€60,-
Sorry folks, but these photos are HUGE
I haven't changed anything on the iPad .....
Pressed DONE...insert all....thumbnail..post
Anyone got any adevice as they are so much larger in size from the ones I used to post?
Also I never had any mb or letters /writing at the bottom of the photo
Not sure what's happened here
Thanks
Annette

Sorry folks, but these photos are HUGE
I haven't changed anything on the iPad .....
Pressed DONE...insert all....thumbnail..post
Anyone got any adevice as they are so much larger in size from the ones I used to post?
Also I never had any mb or letters /writing at the bottom of the photo
Not sure what's happened here
Thanks
Annette
They’re not huge on my iPhone; same size as those of many others.

An 18K walk with a story... 🙈
After a few kilometers, my feet started to hurt. Very unusual, but it can happen, I thought...
A few K further my feet and knees were hurting... What is wrong?
After 7K I decided to redo my shoes and guess what? This soldier forgot his riffle. In other words, I forgot to put in my insoles and walked the full distance on Lowa's without insoles...
I do not recommend to try this yourself...

Houwaert 1.jpg Houwaert 2.jpg Houwaert 4.jpg Houwaet 3.jpg

Again on the Essex Way from Ongar
Initially the track is shared with St Peters Way for about a mile with the Essex Way then going northwards as St. Peter’s Way turns South.
Through fields of high grass, wheat and peas, we crossed numerous little bridges over the river Roding before reaching the little village of Fyfield.
Unfortunately the little church was closed due to Covid.
walked back to Ongar..about 14 km 71028E8A-ED85-44FD-98C6-8F7C72532348.jpegCF557ADA-06AF-4F34-9391-CF639A1387AB.jpeg4D2A5982-327C-443C-AAE2-EB8C7D04CC50.jpegC6442630-7E11-43CB-AA39-ED51447F4680.jpeg924EE7D3-2803-4B77-AF34-2D7777E4F6BE.jpeg0B217685-21E7-464B-9A48-4E3A03EAE860.jpeg15C22E24-2C60-4B3C-9C62-558ADB64560A.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found one new thing today, quite apart from the play of light, ever new. The new thing is a contrived hedge, in the colours of the Irish tricolour. It is set in a small but attractive garden aimed at camouflaging the water purification basin behind it.
85A68A7D-2104-4395-877E-0764946A4E46.jpeg509C95AD-DD32-4171-A83A-32FF0D2A5F3F.jpeg8C769E0A-FDB1-4E35-B461-1A3C838F233E.jpegEF451EAE-680D-4BF2-90A5-E2B9C5EC8502.jpeg

I haven't been on this thread for a couple of weeks as I haven't had any interesting walks lately, so this morning I decided to snap a few pics on my 4 mile walk on the local trail. It has been getting up in the mid 90's F for a full week so I go early.
The pink wild flowers are Crown Vetch. It is often used along some of our Interstate grades to prevent soil erosion.
IMG_20210613_080851200_HDR.jpgIMG_20210613_080857564_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210613_082337454_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210613_081254255.jpg

Awww, thanks, Annette for the "like"! Nothing like all the beauty you are near outside of London and within 6 hours in all directions you are practically in heaven. It takes me a two day drive to get to the Rocky mountains or a 3+ hour flight!

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back