• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lovely 20 km hike today in the Glenmalure area, started from Baravore, then up the Fraughan Rock Glen, onto Camenabologue, across to Table Mountain and the Black Banks, dropped down to 3 Lakes and then back to Baravore by the length of Glenmalure Valley. Brought along a bottle of Rioja for our lunch stop near 3 Lakes just to get the body conditioned for the hardships to come when I arrive in St. Jean next Thursday. :rolleyes:
As usual, link is to a F.B. album of pictures from todays hike.
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10203944076904557?ref=notif&notif_t=like

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last pre camino training hike on a cold Sunday morning but with some nice warm sunshine in the afternoon saw a 20 km route starting like yesterday at Baravore then up Glenmalure valley to Table track, then climbed Camenabologue and Lugnaquillia before decending back to Baravore via Clogherenagh and Art's Lough. As usual, link is to a F.B. album of shots from todays hike.
4 sleeps to go before the flight from Dublin to Biarritz. Has time ever passed so slowly? If anyone has Stephen Hawking's number let me know as I need some expert information on the true nature of time.
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10203950151336414?ref=notif&notif_t=like

Today i walked /climbed the beautiful Galty Mountains!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a short walk today but up (and down)a steep hill. It would qualify for Johnny Walker's description "cardio-vascular exercise" :)
An average of 1:4 over 1.5 k. The steepest bit is 1:2. Really gives the leg muscles a workout when carrying a 6 kilo pack.
Excellent views at the top over to Dartmoor.

Blessings on your (and our) training!
Tio Tel

slow plod.JPG through copse.JPG hillside.JPG hilltop.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
17198848095_f08543eba9_m.jpg
17260597226_ab7f77fe71_m.jpg

Taken in April...officially still the Wet Season...and my first 20+km walk.

17383422981_e7f5a40ec3_m.jpg
This is much more typical, walking to work.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Flew home on Thursday 21/5/15, got home at 8 pm and on Friday drove to Sneem, County Kerry and at 5 am on Saturday 22/5/15 found myself on the start line for the Sneem J.F.K. 50 mile ( 80 km ) Challenge Walk and what would be a new longest single day distance for me if I finished. As usual, pictures are from a FB album of the day.https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10204142382462072

Flew home on Thursday 21/5/15, got home at 8 pm and on Friday drove to Sneem, County Kerry and at 5 am on Saturday 22/5/15 found myself on the start line for the Sneem J.F.K. 50 mile ( 80 km ) Challenge Walk and what would be a new longest single day distance for me if I finished. As usual, pictures are from a FB album of the day.https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10204142382462072
That was some hike Seamus after the Frances and Finistere. Ok you would be finely tuned but 50 miles at approx ave 4mph takes some doing,well done!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That was some hike Seamus after the Frances and Finistere. Ok you would be finely tuned but 50 miles at approx ave 4mph takes some doing,well done!
Big believer in setting myself 2 or 3 demanding walking/ hiking challenges yearly, last year was a bad year when I failed in completing 2 of my 3 challenges, this year I was very determined to make up for that, set 4 targets and this was my 4th ( to complete the 50 miles in less than 14 hours ) target and to the great relief of my ageing body, was successful in all 4.
Have a great camino pilgrim b

Seamus

WOW, that's what I call a dinner :D:D:D
What was the place you were staying for the night? Have you eaten in the same place? What were the prices?
Sorry if I'm too curious but it sure looks fantastic...
I stayed in Pension Codesal on Calle Codesal, on the road parallel to Calle Codesal, there is one cafe/ bar which is where I had dinner, it wasn't menu del dia but around €16 including a cafe con leche, coke and orujo if I remember correctly.

Definitely orujo hierbas has became your favourite drink ;)
What about beer??? I can't remember you've mentioned it even once and coming from Ireland :eek:

May I ask you how much weight did you lose on this last Camino. I mean the distances are way out of my comfort zone and at 24,5km/day average in 2011 I did loose 18kilos...

Anyway thanks for sharing your Camino with us!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Definitely orujo hierbas has became your favourite drink ;)
What about beer??? I can't remember you've mentioned it even once and coming from Ireland :eek:

May I ask you how much weight did you lose on this last Camino. I mean the distances are way out of my comfort zone and at 24,5km/day average in 2011 I did loose 18kilos...

Anyway thanks for sharing your Camino with us!!!

K, probably had about 5 beers during this camino, usually after a particularly long day when I was planning an easier day to follow, for some reason I found that having beer made me very sluggish the following morning while while an orujo or a glass of wine didn't seem to have the same effect.

Lost 6.5 kgs by the time I returned but think there was an increase in muscle mass so fat loss was probably a little more than that figure, walking the distances I was, I tried very hard to hit 5,000 calories a day in my consumption.

Seamus

Last edited:
Not so much of the walking this weekend but I was hardly a slug.
18090126065_0ff5a67e68_z.jpg

My coach tends to pair me up with the big blokes because I am tall and I can take the falls. Most of them have 20 kg if not more on me. Which is why I look so knackered having come off lots of rounds of randori, about 100 Japanese pushups and blasted bunnyhops. My quads are protesting a little today. But at least I didn't throw up! (Unlike a couple of others who were feeling more than a little green).

I have been enjoying walking on the beach at Seal Cove, Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, Canada for a week. It is a absolutely beautiful spot and has restored my soul after the horrible winter we endured. A bit sad to be heading home tomorrow but happy to see my husband and cat. We are about to downsize within the next 16 months - from a five bedroom house to a two bedroom apartment to suit our advancing years. So lots to do and reading this forum helps me keep my fall 09 camino and what it meant to me.

I have been walking 5-8 kms trying to strengthen my ankle. Ankle problems forced me to abort my Portuguese camino a year ago. I still have plans of returning to the Camino Francis to walk Astorga to SdC within the next two years.

Went out in the woods in Luleå, Sweden today and found a route marked with yellow paint on the trees and then this came up on the route. Let's say that in contained a huge amount of camino bus that bit me.
caminolängtan.jpg

Haneffe, in the Walloon part of our country. Think I walked 16 k. Only 22 degrees Celsius but felt warmer because of the open roads.

Attachments

• eindeloos.jpg
    eindeloos.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 10
  • herenhoeve.jpg
    herenhoeve.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 10
  • info.jpg
    info.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 10
  • kerk Haneffe.jpg
    kerk Haneffe.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 10
  • mini meseta.jpg
    mini meseta.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 10
  • picknick.jpg
    picknick.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 10
  • wat afkoeling.jpg
    wat afkoeling.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 10
Last pre camino training hike on a cold Sunday morning but with some nice warm sunshine in the afternoon saw a 20 km route starting like yesterday at Baravore then up Glenmalure valley to Table track, then climbed Camenabologue and Lugnaquillia before decending back to Baravore via Clogherenagh and Art's Lough. As usual, link is to a F.B. album of shots from todays hike.
4 sleeps to go before the flight from Dublin to Biarritz. Has time ever passed so slowly? If anyone has Stephen Hawking's number let me know as I need some expert information on the true nature of time.
https://www.facebook.com/supersullivan/posts/10203950151336414?ref=notif&notif_t=like

Time doesnt exist.
It is a human philosophical construct.
Right...
I would looooooove to be schooled by Stephen Hawking,i would,sit at his knee and just bask.

I walked round the battlefield of Waterloo, 200 years to the day after the battle. Sobering, on the champ noir, tragique plaine, to think of all those who died here, but exhilarating, going round its "cirque de bois, de coteaux, de vallons" to reflect on over 70 years of peace in western Europe, where "la pâle mort" no longer "mêlait les sombres battalions".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7
On a few days hols with my teenage daughter in Santander and heading to Bilbao tomorrow. Was raining until late afternoon so then we walked the promenade and to the Palace of the Magdalenas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
image.jpg image.jpg Flew down from Chicago to North Carolina last night, hit the trails at Hanging Rock State Park. Hiked 3 trails, circled the lake, climbed up to Wolf Rock and climbed up to the top of Hanging Rock. Temps were in the low 80's when we started, topped out at 97 when we were walking down from the summit. Humid too. Never said we were the smartest people. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
A spectacular hike along the Green Lake Loop trail to the abandoned logging town of Parkhurst near Whistler B.C. with wonderful friends @fortview.

Attachments

• Parkhurst 1.jpg
    Parkhurst 1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Parkhurst 2.jpg
    Parkhurst 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Parkhurst 3.jpg
    Parkhurst 3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Parkhurst 4.jpg
    Parkhurst 4.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Parkhurst 5.jpg
    Parkhurst 5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Parkhurst 6.jpg
    Parkhurst 6.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 12
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Met with @thehappyhermit (s) 2 weeks ago and walked round and above the Cerne Abbas Giant. Cannot actually see him from close up but only from the view point across the valley.
At home today we found these arrows, meant for a road race. We really liked the 'last hill' sign. :)

Attachments

• giant.jpg
    giant.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 9
  • signs1.jpg
    signs1.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 9
  • signs2.jpg
    signs2.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 9
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked an 18 km mountain trail in Strathcona Park on Vancouver Island. It drizzled off and on and started to get a bit foggy by the end. I kept telling myself, if I can do this I can do the Camino, it was the only thing that kept me going. Well that and I had no option to quit !!! It was the final hill through the parking lot to my car that almost killed me.

Well, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. Have just spent quite a bit of time here looking at all the photos instead of doing other Sunday night things I 'ought' to have been doing... I loved so many of the photos, from so many varied places, though I probably had a special soft spot for the Glendalough ones in Ireland since I spent a few lovely summer days around there in 2006.

Myself, I have been quite lazy with walking since I got back from my walk in Umbria in April- but now the daylight is lengthening out towards spring, I am inspired to get out there again. This weekend I did a short section of our city walkways here at home in Palmerston North, starting on the Bledisloe track, which is where this little footbridge is. The second photo is taken from the bridge over the Manawatu River, taken as I headed back to my car for the ride home. MargaretDSC00442.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walked around 20 k on friday on demanding hilly surface and today 14 k on boring tarmac but both times with nice views

Attachments

• 20150724_100510.jpg
    20150724_100510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20150724_115922.jpg
    20150724_115922.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20150724_132909.jpg
    20150724_132909.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20150726_093356.jpg
    20150726_093356.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20150726_112217.jpg
    20150726_112217.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20150726_114416.jpg
    20150726_114416.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20150724_125335.jpg
    20150724_125335.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
About 20 klicks from my apartement near Ilbiarritz to les Halles in Biarritz and back, the number of tourists, surfer and beach goers is beyond estimation. Most of them are here this week to enjoy the Fete du Bayonne which start the middle of next week.
You can run with the bulls several nights if you wish, but in this case to protect the public they are young bulls with big horns. Oh, well.

About 20 klicks from my apartement near Ilbiarritz to les Halles in Biarritz and back, the number of tourists, surfer and beach goers is beyond estimation. Most of them are here this week to enjoy the Fete du Bayonne which start the middle of next week.
You can run with the bulls several nights if you wish, but in this case to protect the public they are young bulls with big horns. Oh, well.
So, Wayfarer when will you return to Biarritz?
I am here until 15.8 when I walk out of town for another 20 days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After a long break I had a nice walk today. Steep mountains, waterfalls and a nice place to have some snacks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 8
Today I walked (vicariously with the help of Gunnar W's lovely videos) from St Jean to Castrojeriz, these were shot in September 2011 and every place is so brown and dusty, a bit of a change from April/May 2012 when everything was green and often muddy, they brought back great memories. I am on antibiotics for a nasty chest bug so I thought a long walk on the Camino would do me good.

20150810_124743.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
On Monday we took three of our grand-kids in the camper to Fanore beach in north Clare. On Tuesday morning I took the two older ones, 11 and 8, for a walk up the Caher Valley, after about three K's we crossed the Caher river and started to walk up towards Murrooghkilly "Mountain". We were gone only about 100 mts when out of nowhere ran two alpaca's in full attack mode, necks out ears laid back. The local farmer probably uses them to guard his sheep from dogs and foxes but they hadn't got the memo on humans and attacked straight away. I had nothing to fend them off only my baseball cap so we beat a slow rearguard action all the way back to the river crossing. The kids were scared stiff and as I hadn't ever experienced this before the old heart rate definitely spiked but we escaped unscathed except for my granddaughter who fell on a large thistle, the walk was abandoned for the day but the war story is still being told by the kids.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Managed to get 15 km in today touring in downtown Frankfurt and then walking around a fest being held for our 127 year old train station. Trying to up my km count each day, even if it is just a little bit. Since I walk for a living as a tour guide, walking 10-12 km is easy and I do it on a regular basis about 4-6 times a week. Longer walks are something else though and I have yet to manage 25 km (that I know of as I have only had my FitBit since May.)

Frankfurt Mix.JPG

A wet walk along the Dart and across the heritage railway line. I thought of calling it 'Devon's answer to the FEVE', or 'An unusual obstruction on the path'.
The track and road cross at an unmanned crossing :)

Attachments

• steam train.jpg
    steam train.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Back in Dorset visiting our son, he had to check out our fitness with a couple of climbs one up Jan's hill the other up Comer's Hill.DSC05154.JPG

I have spent since Sunday last walking in the Pyrenees with my fifteen year old grandaughter. Morning walks when the temprature is still low, the scenery is stunning and the daytime temps are around 25 -26c. The inclines are very steep but the views are worth it. Home tomorrow.
Should be fit enough for another Camino now. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have spent since Sunday last walking in the Pyrenees with my fifteen year old grandaughter. Morning walks when the temprature is still low, the scenery is stunning and the daytime temps are around 25 -26c. The inclines are very steep but the views are worth it. Home tomorrow.
Should be fit enough for another Camino now. :)
Brilliant news Wayfarer wishing you many future camino steps with blessings as you walk mate.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Today I jogged for 20 minutes in the swimming pool!
I'm taking it easy, breaking in after last year's injury - hoping to walk this year.
Anniesantiago, I wish you a very speedy recovery! So that you can enjoy your favorite activities again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back