• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do all the pilgrims sleep when 400 people start SJPP?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
I thought i read that begin may many people start to walk the Camino from SJPP. I start also may 1... Did look up for pre booking the first night in SJPP and Roncevalles in a cheap hotel because the first days I Will walk with my husband and from Ronvecalles walk alone further. Then I don't like to plan anymore and just walk. Don't know if I Will finish in Santiago, I have 6 weeks but like to have Some days home for landing before going back to work.
But when I look up for hotels they all are full, no place anymore, only 1 I found in SJPP la Coquille Napoleon( anyone been there?) but in Ronvecalles nothing has free rooms anymore. Is that because of so many people start to walk in may? And is there place for all this 400 people or am I misstaken that there are so many people to start ( and need a bed). It is not that I don't like all the people, I like the Camino because of these people but am Anky a bit concerned about finding a room the first days before I come in the flow and Yes try the albergues ; ))
Thanks you:rolleyes::);)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I thought i read that begin may many people start to walk the Camino from SJPP. I start also may 1... Did look up for pre booking the first night in SJPP and Roncevalles in a cheap hotel because the first days I Will walk with my husband and from Ronvecalles walk alone further. Then I don't like to plan anymore and just walk. Don't know if I Will finish in Santiago, I have 6 weeks but like to have Some days home for landing before going back to work.
But when I look up for hotels they all are full, no place anymore, only 1 I found in SJPP la Coquille Napoleon( anyone been there?) but in Ronvecalles nothing has free rooms anymore. Is that because of so many people start to walk in may? And is there place for all this 400 people or am I misstaken that there are so many people to start ( and need a bed). It is not that I don't like all the people, I like the Camino because of these people but am Anky a bit concerned about finding a room the first days before I come in the flow and Yes try the albergues ; ))
It is more likely that many places have not yet opened their books for May 2017 (check again later), and also I think many of the beds in Roncesvalles albergue are non-reservable. I think you can reserve rooms in their more luxurious accomodations, and in La Posada, but again it may be too early. You could try contacting an albergue or hotel directly (phone or email) to determine if the rooms are all booked, i think they are more likely just not listed yet. good luck!

It is more likely that many places have not yet opened their books for May 2017 (check again later), and also I think many of the beds in Roncesvalles albergue are non-reservable. I think you can reserve rooms in their more luxurious accomodations, and in La Posada, but again it may be too early. You could try contacting an albergue or hotel directly (phone or email) to determine if the rooms are all booked, i think they are more likely just not listed yet. good luck!
And when they are not opened their books booking.com says that it is all full booked for example 1 ,2 ,3 may?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will say I stayed at what is now the Belari, and also had planned to stay at Orisson (but walked straight through due to anticipated weather). Both took quite a long time (especially Orisson) to get back to me about room availability, and it made me anxious. I think many close this time of year and so may not be checking email, etc so frequently. If all else fails, the Pilgrims Office in SJPdP and the WONDERFUL Dutch volunteers at Roncesvalles will make sure everyone has a bed for the night.:)

Last edited:
It is possible that when you use online booking tools that the hotels say they are full when really the problem is they can't book that far ahead. Try an email or a call. If you do book this way you may not be offered the discount rate that you see online but you may be able to charm them into giving you a bit off the price or maybe a free breakfast. Good luck.

Edit: I'm really a slow writer. I see a number of posts saying what I said popped up while I was writing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And when they are not opened their books booking.com says that it is all full booked for example 1 ,2 ,3 may?
sometimes booking.com does not have all the rooms available, only what the hotel has given to them (I think the hotel must pay booking a fee for each room booked). Check directly with the hotel if possible. YOu may also get a better rate.

Did you contact for example the Hotel Roncesvalles and did they confirm that there are no beds or are you currently simply not able to book rooms online on the internet? I strongly suspect that the latter is the case. Please phone or email them and report back here. In addition to the private rooms in hotels, the albergue in Roncesvalles has beds for more than 400 pilgrims per day - I posted the exact figure some time ago. Such high numbers are rarely reached - only on a handful of days in 2016.
I looked on the site of hotel Roncesvalles and all
Days in may were red, fully booked, also
At booking. Com

sometimes booking.com does not have all the rooms available, only what the hotel has given to them (I think the hotel must pay booking a fee for each room booked). Check directly with the hotel if possible. YOu may also get a better rate.
I did :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I looked on the site of hotel Roncesvalles and all
Days in may were red, fully booked, also
At booking. Com
I would still contact the hotel or albergue directly. Sometimes when I travel even the hotel website says full, but when I call the hotel it is not. The people who know best are those with the room keys.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
for instance, where I worked people could make appointments online. When we opened the books for a month, all appointments were available. as they were booked, less showed available. when all were booked, it showed "none available"...but it would say that also if we hadn't opened any more for the next month yet.
if someone called to ask, they were told "we haven't opened the books yet for June, check the computer in mid-May"...so something like that may be going on with the rooms

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

@Yellowfriend you need to email the hotels directly, not just check their online booking pages. I contacted Hotel Roncesvalles recently and they told me that they open their bookings for 2017 after the end of this month (October), and to contact them again after that. That is why they appear to have no rooms available yet for any dates in 2017, and also why they appear to be "full" on booking.com. This is very common for accommodation providers. I suggest checking direct (by email) with the places you want to book, and keep checking the online sites - some I have found don't even open their bookings for the year until after the year starts.

NB Booking.com uses particularly misleading terminology, in that they state "we have booked our last room for this hotel for this date" whenever there is nothing available - even when they haven't booked anything yet because the hotel has not yet made those dates available to booking.com. The message is: don't believe everything you read on the internet! ;)

I will say I stayed at what is now the Belari, and also had planned to stay at Orisson (but walked straight through due to anticipated weather). Both took quite a long time (especially Orisson) to get back to me about room availability, and it made me anxious. I think many close this time of year and so may not be checking email, etc so frequently. If all else fails, the Pilgrims Office in Roncesvalles and the WONDERFUL Dutch volunteers at Roncesvalles will make sure everyone has a bed for the night.:)
Ooo that is very good to hear and i can speak
Dutch with them
; )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why are you sweating the ever so slight possibility and unlikely event that 400 hundred pilgrims all show up at Roncesvalles on the same day? Stay away from and avoid all "chicken little" threads on here.
Be more concerned about more realistic events, such as bad footwear choice, overweight backpack or a bad bottle of wine.
Just for the record, I've stayed at Roncesvalles multiple times during the peak CF walking season (June-September). Never saw it full.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked it last year and booked at ronvecalles but cancelled a couple of days before and stayed at the main albergue. You can't book there. It's massive and there was plenty of room using over flow for the late arrivals. There were more than 400 started when I did so don't sweat it. There will always be a place to stay just not your first choice every time.

It will all work out, you will look back on your concerns & smile. The people who run the various places will help. Worst case you may have to walk a bit further but for the most part everyone helps to find you a bed. It is amazing the good you will find.
Buen Camino
Keith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
and just to reassure anyone (in general, for the OP I really think housing will not be a problem) thinking "walk a little more!?!? Are you crazy?!?:eek:I'm worried about walking enough just to get to the albergue!":eek:...

well, nowhere is it written you must walk a little more. The hospitaleros can/will help you arrange for a taxi a few km down the road to the next place if it's not just around the corner...and in the morning you can start from there, or take a taxi back if it matters to you. When we walk sometimes we forget that the distance that is taking us hours to cover is really not that far by car or bus...

If you get to where you need to stop, and just can't walk further but the beds are gone, take some sort of vehicle (taxi, bus, train) to the next place with a bed.

On the Navarra tourism webpage on walking the camino,
http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/p...informacion-practica/Informacion-practica.htm

I found taxi info for the first few steps
http://www.turismo.navarra.es/NR/rd...-4FE8-964F-0BB3B0724A86/14319/ReddeTaxis4.pdf

Not sure if it's true, but I was told that between the hotel and albergue plus overflow albergue space in Roncesvalles there are 500 beds.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why are you sweating the ever so slight possibility and unlikely event that 400 hundred pilgrims all show up at Roncesvalles on the same day? Stay away from and avoid all "chicken little" threads on here.
Be more concerned about more realistic events, such as bad footwear choice, overweight backpack or a bad bottle of wine.
Just for the record, I've stayed at Roncesvalles multiple times during the peak CF walking season (June-September). Never saw it full.
Hahaha, Thank you ; )

I walked it last year and booked at ronvecalles but cancelled a couple of days before and stayed at the main albergue. You can't book there. It's massive and there was plenty of room using over flow for the late arrivals. There were more than 400 started when I did so don't sweat it. There will always be a place to stay just not your first choice every time.
More then 400 at one day? I wasn't mistaken? But indeel that mat be not the case every day (and not on may 1 :confused:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More then 400 at one day? I wasn't mistaken? But indeel that mat be not the case every day (and not on may 1 :confused:)

Yellowfriend,

I understand your worry about not finding a bed but it will work out, really. In the unlikely event that everything is booked/ taken you can always arrange a taxi and share a the ride with someone.
Like Mark posted : try to focus on having a good Camino and use the time till your start for a bit of local walking and checking out your footwear and get accustomed to your backpack.

and just to reassure anyone (in general, for the OP I really think housing will not be a problem) thinking "walk a little more!?!? Are you crazy?!?:eek:I'm worried about walking enough just to get to the albergue!":eek:...

well, nowhere is it written you must walk a little more. The hospitaleros can/will help you arrange for a taxi a few km down the road to the next place if it's not just around the corner...and in the morning you can start from there, or take a taxi back if it matters to you. When we walk sometimes we forget that the distance that is taking us hours to cover is really not that far by car or bus...

If you get to where you need to stop, and just can't walk further but the beds are gone, take some sort of vehicle (taxi, bus, train) to the next place with a bed.

On the Navarra tourism webpage on walking the camino,
http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/p...informacion-practica/Informacion-practica.htm

I found taxi info for the first few steps
http://www.turismo.navarra.es/NR/rd...-4FE8-964F-0BB3B0724A86/14319/ReddeTaxis4.pdf
Quite corrected :) taxis are permitted. I just made a personal vow to never use any form of transportation until arriving at the ocean. My issue :).

No, it won't be the case because 1 May 2017 is a Monday. The weekend may be busy though, because it is a long weekend in many European countries and thousands of people will have the brilliant idea of using it for going on holiday.

Last year it was like this in Roncesvalles (I post it in the original language because you said you are from Friesland :)): Zoals te verwachten was begon het weekend van de eerste mei hectisch. [...] In de loop van de week zijn een aantal pelgrims doorgestuurd naar de hotels in Burguete. Al 6 dagen is het aantal pelgrims ruim boven de 325. This is what the hospitaleros from the Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob report who help out in the Roncesvalles albergue. I'm not a Chicken Licken but it's also a disservice to people to hide the fact that some periods are much busier than others.
I am from Groningen ; )
So you mean that it will be very busy or not?
Misschien vanwege de meivakantie? Because of the may vaction?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yellowfriend,

I understand your worry about not finding a bed but it will work out, really. In the unlikely event that everything is booked/ taken you can always arrange a taxi and share a the ride with someone.
Like Mark posted : try to focus on having a good Camino and use the time till your start for a bit of local walking and checking out your footwear and get accustomed to your backpack.
I do!! Walking as much as possible in my days off from work and enjoying the prefun :)
But it gives me some piece of mind when the first days are pre booked :rolleyes:

Whatever did we do before the internet?!

We never used package tours but were big fans of guide books - the first invaluable one was "Europe on $10 a day". Imagine that now! And later the Lonely Planet Guides always had lists of interesting and slightly quirky hotels at reasonable places - our copy always seemed to be two years out of date.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We never used package tours but were big fans of guide books - the first invaluable one was "Europe on $10 a day". Imagine that now! And later the Lonely Planet Guides always had lists of interesting and slightly quirky hotels at reasonable places - our copy always seemed to be two years out of date.

Mine was "Europe on 5 Dollars a Day" by Arthur Frommer published 1957.

Before that "Around the World on 80 Dollars" by Robert Christopher published 1953 helped start me dreaming of adventure travel when a teenager.

Reading guides like the these led to the first European trip 1959 biking from London to Rome in 4 months on a Raleigh 3 speed bike!! ... What exhaustion! What memories!!

Last edited:
Whatever did we do before the internet?!

On the Camino Frances I carried a big red guide book by Fr Elias Valina, in Spanish, it being in the dark ages before the revelation of The Gospel According To JB. And just walked. I never encountered any overcrowding then so I was never all that anxious about finding a bed or at least a floor space for the night.

Yes, that's the one @mspath , I think my older brother's copy was the 5 Dollars a Day version but by the time I was old enough to travel independently it had doubled! The thrill of travelling around in an old Kombi van with my new husband, seeing so much, living on olives, tomatoes, fresh bread and cheap red wine - and getting to the end of the day and working out that, yes, we had kept expenses under the $10!

We never used package tours but were big fans of guide books - the first invaluable one was "Europe on $10 a day". Imagine that now! .

Ah, Jill, "Europe on $10 per day" - I actually had a copy and used in back in 1973 on my first European adventure. I think it must have been a second or third (maybe fifth?) edition as I seem to recall something about the affect of inflation on the buying power of $10 US. Although at that time $1 Oz equaled around 4 (West) German Marks or Swiss Francs and about 65 New English Pence (almost as much as it does now). But one Aussie now only worth 0.75 Swiss.
What I do recall was that virtually every major Capital city railway station had a tourist office that helped with cheap hotel/hostel/B&B bookings. They even had free maps. Ah those were the days!!

Mine was "Europe on 5 Dollars a Day" by Arthur Frommer published 1957.
eading guides like the these led to the first European trip 1959 biking from London to Rome in 4 months on a Raleigh 3 speed bike!! ... What exhaustion! What memories!!

1959??!! M, my dear you are letting a few cats out of the bag. Still it would have been a great way to fill up your first(?) passport - all those border crossings - all those exotic country stamps. We even had to apply in advance for visas for just about any country east of the Rhine. Cheers

... What I do recall was that virtually every major Capital city railway station had a tourist office that helped with cheap hotel/hostel/B&B bookings. They even had free maps. Ah those were the days!!

They still do, at least in Germany ;-) Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed there in September. Loved it. Wonderful family that runs it. I would book it again. Peaceful and quiet. Just out side of the town short walk. Beautiful view. Go for it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have 6 weeks

Perfect amount of days for a not rushed , taking your time camino and return flight home.

But when I look up for hotels they all are full, no place anymore

You have time to get Miam Miam Do Do ,
It will have the direct e/m and website of every hotel from Ronsc. to Santiago , even The Paradors Yellowfriend.
This book kills all others for access to homes/pensions/hotels etc.

Roncevalles in a cheap hotel
If you can get to Burgette instead of Roncesvalles there you will find good accommodation .
In the 2014 MMDD [ my old copy ] there was 11 places offering accommodation , this is only 40 minutes past Ronscavalles where you rest for a drink and stamp.
When or if the weather is bad we know people who have walked to Orrison got a taxi back to STJPP [ little cost as its only 7km ] and the next day returned by taxi to Orrison to continued the camino , this way Burgette is very reachable.

Mark is correct again , the above is all you need to worry about Yellowfriend

Buen camino and less stress , it will all work out.

Perfect amount of days for a not rushed , taking your time camino and return flight home.
If you can get to Burgette instead of Roncesvalles there you will find good accommodation .
In the 2014 MMDD [ my old copy ] there was 11 places offering accommodation , this is only 40 minutes past Ronscavalles where you rest for a drink and stamp.
When or if the weather is bad we know people who have walked to Orrison got a taxi back to STJPP [ little cost as its only 7km ] and the next day returned by taxi to Orrison to continued the camino , this way Burgette is very reachable.
Mark is correct again , the above is all you need to worry about Yellowfriend
Buen camino and less stress , it will all work out.
I stayed in Burguete instead of Roncesvalles in 2014. I stopped at Roncesvalles just long enough to get a beer and then took the short walk to Burguete, all flat and easy. Stayed at the Hostal Burguete (Hemingway's old hangout when there). Split a room with two other pilgrims I had met and had the same idea. It is a very nice, quaint village.

I recently returned from SJPDP where I was a volunteer in the pilgrims office for two weeks.
Many of the albergues are closed. Belari closed on the 23rd October and Orrison a week before. I think you will find they are away on holidays after a gruelling summer.
The municipal refregué is open all year and from memory has 42 beds but doesn't accept reservations. It is first come first served unless a person is unwell. If you come in on an earlier train there should be places although it doesn't open until about 2pm. The huge abbey in Ronchevalles has about 180 beds in the new section and can take another 200 or so in the older area as well as cabins they own nearby. From memory no bookings. Starting walking in May could mean a hot time on the meseta depends on how fast you walk and the weather. I had frost by the road side in June 2013.
Hope this helps
Mark

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I stayed at La Cocquille Napoleon September 2016 and it was one of my favorite places. The owners were lovely people and accommodating. What I enjoyed was some of the beds had their own window to view the beautiful mountains. I highly recommend this place.

In Ronvecelles I stayed at the monastery. They accommodate 300 pilgrims. 2 bunks to a cubical. We got in around 2/3 and had no problem. Very comfortable and very modern accommodations. Hope this helps.

Buen Camino

I am one of the last holdouts concerning all things celular and the superiority of the internet. May 1 is a holiday and true everything and every place could somehow just possibly be booked. A simple phone-call, a real person to person interaction, communication on an old and out-dated bit of technology would cost more but save so much anxiety - Orisson and hotels always always answer the phone on the reception desk. Don't want to start a firestorm, but one of the sad things which has happened to the Camino has been the introduction of the cellular telephone. A pilgrim now walks into a cafe/bar or the lounge of an albergue and so few people bother to pick up their eyes from the nasty little screen. Sigh

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Totally agree, leave it all at home, we had legs for thousands of years, eyes to look up and arms to hug.

We had iPads and phones for just a spit so I for one will be walking as the last Luddite.

I have all the gadgets but want to experience the experience not log on every two secs

Peas and love

Ian

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back