• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do ( did ) you walk ( locally ) in 2022?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went from Florida weather and walking/collecting shells on the beach (my favorite past time) and lush vegetation, to my first walk back home. Everything is still colorless, but signs of spring are evident as wildflowers and trillium are making their presence known.
Anyone know what the blueish ones are?
See that ugly bridge...makes me miss the ancient beauties on the Camino. I also found and opened a geocach for kids, and a jawbone with teeth. When the landscapes are not pretty, other things often grab my attention.
IMG_20220402_142113434.jpgIMG_20220417_133731907.jpg
IMG_20220417_134503455_HDR.jpgIMG_20220417_133913860.jpg
IMG_20220417_133339389_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220417_134355583_HDR.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I went from Florida weather and walking/collecting shells on the beach (my favorite past time) and lush vegetation, to my first walk back home. Everything is still colorless, but signs of spring are evident as wildflowers and trillium are making their presence known.
Anyone know what the blueish ones are?
See that ugly bridge...makes me miss the ancient beauties on the Camino. I also found and opened a geocach for kids, and a jawbone with teeth. When the landscapes are not pretty, other things often grab my attention.
View attachment 123020View attachment 123021
View attachment 123022View attachment 123023
View attachment 123024
View attachment 123025
Nice photos!
The blue wildflowers may be Siberian Squill, common to the north country.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Chrissy,
the blue flowers look very like bluebells but these stems look a bit longer than the bluebells here
also in full bloom

A walk around our local lake
more of a stop and start really as forts had to be climbed and boulders conquered!
Then it was football as the ball almost hit the water a few times
A lively bunch as the 4 grandsons are all around the same age
Then a visit to the “fun house” for some more climbing and slides
We were exhausted just watching them on this walk
I asked them “to pose” for one of the photos towards the lake A7C1889E-0076-46E7-B864-61D2F808D9E4.jpegFF12E160-1B9A-428C-A4D5-7240495E6359.jpegB80640A4-8FB5-43FA-B26C-DB4D7D58B003.jpeg064FEBD5-42BA-4083-9D50-5F539DB5A3A5.jpeg8C53ED8D-8C98-4A6D-9E0F-D96DD5FDEF06.jpeg3DCFB502-D608-4F0B-97AA-C8FC2AF6E35F.jpeg5CF4F324-DE7B-425A-AD71-A6563A0C8FF7.jpeg63189122-4D58-4C89-B7B2-FBA20013CFBF.jpeg043DCCFD-3EB6-4EB2-8648-71F6CF9B031B.jpeg

Nice photos!
The blue wildflowers may be Siberian Squill, common to the north country.
I just checked out Siberian Squill images and they are exactly the same flowers!

Annette, we have bluebells here in our wooded areas, but they are not blooming quite yet; taller with larger flowers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On a closer look, Sabine, what fruit or other do these blossoms produce? The shape of those trees is different than any orchards I've seen in the US.

Darn , I do not have a clue.There are so many varieties here but seeing the farmer is mainly cultivating raspberries and these trees are on a small plot I guess they are just a variety of an apple or a pear. Might even be for own use only.
Will ask one of the neighbours later.

Cycling this morning. First time for a long time. The cycle shop where I bought the bike about ten years before I retired, the guys are so kind. I always get them something from the nearby bakery, they were happy! On the way home I stopped by a secret garden. Here it is. I will not tell you where it is!!!
E19F5A8F-ABE8-4AB4-B013-790679078326.jpeg1EFA1306-6565-4975-A104-51455EC4498B.jpegFCFC8ABC-97D2-4CC4-88BD-362A250AF0C4.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...well it's not often that I have internet access these days. I have missed chatting to you all here on the forum and seeing where everyone has walked. For the past few months I have been in the bush tramping tracks in the Nelson/Tasman region (NZ) and also parts of Te Araroa Trail, exiting only for supplies, foul weather and the occasional party. Here is a five-day snippet from along the Kill Devil and Anatoki Pack Tracks in Kahurangi National Park.
InkedWeb capture_21-4-2022_20034_www.doc.govt.nz_LI.jpg

Day 1
The Kill Devil track is an endless zig zag up to a saddle. 2 hours hard work on a pristine day. 17 kilos on my back: 6 days food, autumnal gear and 2 litres of water. Tough. From the saddle one gains fine views to the interior of the range. Dramatic slopes plunging to a distant river.

Bliss. I have lit the open fire in Riordans hut, made my bed, cooked dinner then finished with a ginger- lemon infusion...

Riordan’s hut was constructed in 1926 by musterers, restored in 2003. The hut is wooden. Light blinks between the joins. The door frame has great gaps. One can see the ground beneath loosely fitted floorboards. There are two flyblown windows, a food safe with an upside-down naked lady sketched upon it. Another wooden cupboard is positioned above a rustic bench. There are two benches to sit upon and an old thrown together table -four bits of wood tossed on top of an old frame. The beds are ancient.

Piwakawaka and other small birds chirp at dusk. The resident weka scurries by. Bellbirds peel and clonk. A morepork suddenly swoops then lands a meter from where I stand. We stare at each other for a long minute. Owl eyes fixed, motionless.

1 Kill Devil track.jpg2 Kill Devil Track.  Manuka trees..jpg3 Kill Devil Track.jpg
4 Kill Devil Track.jpg5 Kill Devil Track.jpg6 Riordans Hut.  Kill Devil Track.  Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
7 Riordans Hut. Kill Devil Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg9 I love my sleeping bag.  Riordans Hut. Kill Devil Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg11 Morepork gazing at me. Riordans Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2: Riordan's hut to Waingaro Forks hut (3 hours)

The sugary scent of honeydew. Black mold covering beech. Wasps menacing in sunlight...

Waingaro Forks hut is splendid. A step back in time. It is built with adzed planks hewn from red beech wood, the roof and chimney are clad in corrugated iron. On entering one breathes in old smoke and the scent of hewn wood.

The onerous task of collecting water: 5 minutes down a mossy path to a river. Boulders and stones strewn about. Sandflies attack, burning flesh. I strip off then plunge...

How calming it is to be in the bush. The sound of the river is ever present. Birds and insects converse. A precious day.

Day 2.1 Riordans hut to Waingaro Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 2.2 on the way to Waingaro Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 2.3 Windfallen tree..jpg
Day 2.4 swingbridge just before Waingaro Forks Hut. Kahurangin National Park. NZ.jpgDay 2.6 Waingaro Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 2.8 Waingaro Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
Day 2.7 and then I plunge...5 minutes from WF hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 3 Waingaro Forks Hut to Soper Shelter

Trail: ascending and descending through bush. Arriving at an avalanche zone. Scrambling over rocks and roots then walking. River stones covered in strange orange lichen.

At Stanley Lake drowned trees stand half submerged, snapped off like twigs. Stanley Lake was formed after a massive earthquake in the Murchison area (1929). An avalanche dammed the river.

Birdsong at dusk

Day 3.1 leaving Waingaro forks hut.  Manuka trail. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 3.3 River stones near Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 3.2 strange orange lichen.  River stones near Lake Stanley.  Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
Day3.4 Avalanche zone. Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 3.5 old avalanche before Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 3.6 drowned trees.  Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
Day 3.7 Drowned trees. Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 3 Soper Shelter. Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 3.9 Soper Shelter. Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg

Attachments

• Day 3 Soper Shelter. Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
    Day 3 Soper Shelter. Lake Stanley. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Day 4 Soper shelter to Anatoki Forks hut.
5 hours

What a day! An excellent physical challenge. Many creeks and streams to cross. Scrambling with 15 kilos on my back...descending and ascending into a beech forest then down a gully. Following a river, endless scrambling. Then a ridge. Gorgeous crystal ponds.

All in all, an exhilarating tramp with a variety of experiences. Awesome trees towering over me.

Then, voila, Anatoki hut. Hoorah, there is a wood pile and... a shower! The wood-burning stove has a wet back. So, hot showers for all! What a luxury. Someone has split wood and left kindling and logs by the oven. Just as well. I tried to chop wood but found the axe too heavy.

Tomorrow I'm going nowhere. I'll collect scrappy wood for the fire, eat huge amounts of food then read a novel.

Day 4.1 Soper Shelter to Anatoki Forks Hut.  Beech forest. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 4.2 Scrambling.  Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 4.3 Beech Forest. direction Anatoki Forks hut. Kahurangi National park. NZ.jpgDay 4.4 Beech forest. Direction Anatoki Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
Day 4.6 Anatoki Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 4.7 Anatoki Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 4.8 Anatoki Forks Hut. Kahurangi National Park..jpg
Day 4.5 crystal pond. direction Anatoki Forks hut. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg

Day 5 Out: Anatoki Forks hut to Takaka
9 hours to trail's end. I Am a Tramper!

Awake at 3 30 am. Lit the wood burning stove to lessen the night chills. Why do they build outhouses so far from the huts? In the dark one trips along an uneven track, scared.

5 45 am. Hot shower! Yes.

7 30 am start to a demanding day. Multiple stream crossings; clambering down stony banks; big boulders. Many beautiful waterfalls and crystal ponds to slosh through. Fern gardens. Between each crossing a track carved out of the mountainside during goldmining days.

Multiple treefalls and major slips to climb over. Bushwhacking. What a challenge. Later, a rockface to be traversed. A chain had been stapled into the rock. One sidled along a ledge holding on to the chain. I felt proud of myself - calm without an ounce of fear.

Gorgeous waterfalls and deep pools. No time for a dip. Piwakawaka and South Island Robins flitting, a halo about my head.

At trails end a farmer offered me a ride into Takaka. He was off to the pub. As I waited for him to scrub up, he offered me figs from the tree!

Day's end: bacon and eggs, fried tomatoes with zucchini washed down with ginger-lemon tea, then to top it all off, Ernest Adams Raspberry Shortcake – a kiwi classic.

Day 5.1 leaving Anatoki Hut.  Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 5.2 first of 30+ stream crossings. Anatoki Track. Kahurangi National park. NZ.jpgDay 5.3 stream crossing.  Anatoki track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
Day 5.4 multiple stream crossings.  Anatoki Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 5.5 Multiple stream crossings. Anatoki Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 5.6 third major slip. Anatoki Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpg
Day 5.10 Traversing a rock face. Anatoki Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgDay 5.7 near trail's end. Anatoki Track. Kahurangi National Park. NZ.jpgday 5.8 Trail's end. Anatoki Track..jpg
Day 5.9 Trail's end.  Anatoki track..jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...well it's not often that I have internet access these days. I have missed chatting to you all here on the forum and seeing where everyone has walked. For the past few months I have been in the bush tramping tracks in the Nelson/Tasman region (NZ) and also parts of Te Araroa Trail, exiting only for supplies, foul weather and the occasional party. Here is a five-day snippet from along the Kill Devil and Anatoki Pack Tracks in Kahurangi National Park.
View attachment 123198

Day 1
The Kill Devil track is an endless zig zag up to a saddle. 2 hours hard work on a pristine day. 17 kilos on my back: 6 days food, autumnal gear and 2 litres of water. Tough. From the saddle one gains fine views to the interior of the range. Dramatic slopes plunging to a distant river.

Bliss. I have lit the open fire in Riordans hut, made my bed, cooked dinner then finished with a ginger- lemon infusion...

Riordan’s hut was constructed in 1926 by musterers, restored in 2003. The hut is wooden. Light blinks between the joins. The door frame has great gaps. One can see the ground beneath loosely fitted floorboards. There are two flyblown windows, a food safe with an upside-down naked lady sketched upon it. Another wooden cupboard is positioned above a rustic bench. There are two benches to sit upon and an old thrown together table -four bits of wood tossed on top of an old frame. The beds are ancient.

Piwakawaka and other small birds chirp at dusk. The resident weka scurries by. Bellbirds peel and clonk. A morepork suddenly swoops then lands a meter from where I stand. We stare at each other for a long minute. Owl eyes fixed, motionless.

View attachment 123199View attachment 123200View attachment 123201
View attachment 123202View attachment 123203View attachment 123204
View attachment 123205View attachment 123206View attachment 123207
As said above, so lovely to see you! I am struck by the weight of your pack at the start. How is it possible? I would love to have the opportunity and the courage. Too late for me, too late! Enjoy! Enjoy! And thank you for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As said above, so lovely to see you! I am struck by the weight of your pack at the start. How is it possible? I would love to have the opportunity and the courage. Too late for me, too late! Enjoy! Enjoy! And thank you for sharing.
Hi @kirkie, how nice to hear from you! The weather in the NZ mountain ranges is changeable. One must always be prepared for the worst. It can rain, shine, blow a gale, hail and snow all in a single day, even in summer. So, some of the extra weight comes from wet weather gear and woolens. Added to that I carry a winter duck down sleeping bag (1.2 kilos). I found my European summer sleeping bag inadequate in the huts even in high summer. Then there is food and water: NZ is a young country without a network of closely spaced villages, farms and monasteries such as one finds in the valleys, foothills and mountains of Europe. One must haul food for many days when out tramping, a gas primus for cooking and also a water purifying system or tablets. My body groans under the weight.

Today I purchased another 9 days food and gas. I can barely lift it all. I am heading back into the Kahurangi National Park for one last tramp before winter... I seem to eat about 1/2 a kilo or more food each day. I am still figuring out how to eat well without carrying a heavy load. I haven't succeeded with it yet. I could cold soak food and not carry a gas primus but what misery -cold breakfast and cold dinner with nothing hot to drink. That's not for me.

Last edited:
On the one photo a day thread, I was reminded it is earth day. So, our 17 year old rose bush. It has a real perfume... I forget the name of course. Then a memorial to a mother and grandmother on a bench along by the Grand Canal, and my boots, my trusty boots, touching the earth daily.
43C0F6E1-0BFF-4CF8-B935-14B061A7B5A5.jpeg5435E777-27E6-45D7-BCD4-41E36C52B85D.jpeg16E15CA1-B7E2-4668-A015-FBF2579AB3FC.jpeg

We have had the most beautiful Spring weather, warm temperatures and no rain. It inspired to a wildcamping trip to Odsherred only 50 km. from Copenhagen
Nature showed itself at its best with flowering anemones and balmy evenings. Still too cold to swim in the seaIMG_20220423_110608.jpgIMG_20220423_203224.jpg IMG_20220423_064554.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even in a busy city there are wonderfully serene places. I'm up in Holland again after walking a camino from here, down to France. A sunny Sunday in Den Bosch. It's so much greener than 3 weeks ago!
View attachment 123570
Enjoy your stay in lovely Den Bosch 🙏🏻

@Camino Chrissy ; my neighbour to the rescue.They are cherry trees! :)
:) I came on the thread to post 3 of our photos from local walks and found your cherry trees....
Here are ours, just starting to open out, plus bluebells and other flowering bushes.

cherry trees.jpg bluebells.jpg blossom.jpg
The cherry are flowering cherry, not fruit bearing, and are not pruned at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm so happy to be home after 2 months away. My first day back began with an early morning walk at Beach Grove in Tsawwassen where I had the joy of watching a Great Horned Owl and her 2 owlets. Then a late afternoon walk at Terra Nova.

View attachment 123734 View attachment 123735 View attachment 123736 View attachment 123737 View attachment 123738 View attachment 123739 View attachment 123740 View attachment 123741 View attachment 123742
You share your joy through your lens! This thread shares equal top place with the one photo a day thread as reason for my forum membership!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone. Kei te ora ahau! Yes, I am alive! ....which honestly is somewhat of a surprise after nine days on rugged slippery terrain scrambling and rock climbing, crossing slips and avalanches, avoiding bogs, climbing over windfallen trees, and crossing swing bridges which rock and bounce with every foot fall. The river voices were ever present.

I have been following the Leslie-Karamea Track and the Wangapeka Track over to Little Wanganui, a village on the West Coast of New Zealand (Sth. Island). Below are some of my favourite photos.

Traversing the Kahurangi National Park one passes primarily along the dark soggy side of the mountains where the vegetation is drenched and sunlight barely sifts through the canopy. One's feet are permanently wet. The terrain is rugged and steep with many ascents and descents to the creeks and rivers. Level track and tussock covered flats are a relief.

Gold diggers once prospected along the rivers in these mountains. In the 1930s, during the Great Depression many folk headed into unchartered areas bushwhacking and carving out tracks in search for gold. The NZ government provided the prospectors with food and other supplies. .

Highlights:
*'conversing' with birds. Seeing a Kea for the first time in its natural habitat; listening to Wekas herald the dawn; A Toutouwai pecking at my toes...

*Lighting the fire in a rustic cabin; sleeping in a duck-down sleeping bag; sharing tea with a retired DOC hunter, listening to his stories...

*Anticipation. Dreaming of day's end: cooking up a pot of polenta milk pudding, hot, dense with sultanas, nuts and powdered ginger - that first mouthful, ah, bliss...

* at trail's end having a hot shower for the first time in 9 days; machine washing stinky gear; jumping into a cosy double bed with white sheets, 4 pillows and a thick fluffy duvet; cake, Fish and Chips with a live salad...Yes!

20220428_112049627.jpg
Leslie-Karamea Track
20220428_114606852.jpg
Leslie-karamea Track

20220426_111524610.jpg
Day 4 Thor Hut. Leslie Karamea Track
20220427_103136728.jpg
A gymnastic moment. Windfallen trees. Leslie Karamea Track.
20220425_111744552.jpg

20220428_102615255.jpg
Day 6 approaching the Taipo River. Wangapeka Track
20220429_101224791.jpg
Day 7. Saddle Lake. Little Wanganui Saddle. Wangapeka Track
20220428_124335635.jpg
Piwakawaka
20220501_103535107.jpg
Day 9. Looking back. Little Wanganui River. Wangapeka Track

Attachments

• 20220425_111744552.jpg
    20220425_111744552.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Lovingingness,
Ouf/Wow! So glad to read that you made it out; what tenacity you have! I bet those clean white sheets felt splendid.

Thanks for your update and pics.

Wonderful update, Lovingkindness!
Seeing these pics makes my morning. I can pracically hear the piwakawaka!

It's been 30 years since I had the nerve to tramp in that neck of the woods. It's beautiful country, but not for the faint of heart or unprepared. I'm glad you made it out in one piece, to enjoy the different beauties of washing machines, white sheets, and fresh food.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@VNwalking + @mspath, In the NZ bush there is solitude without absolute isolation. Solace appears on twiggy legs, with a flit of charcoal grey and a fluffed out pale lemon breast. The Toutouwai has bright beady eyes. It will approach a human being without reserve, it's inquisitive pecking an avian kiss.

Here is one for you... Thanks.
20220425_152303212.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ps I am new to owning a phone. Until recently i always used a computer when participating on the forum. If the photos which I have recently posted are too big , will somebody kindly explain what needs to be done. Thanks.

If the photos which I have recently posted are too big , will somebody kindly explain what needs to be done
Simple. Attach a photo file from the gallery in your phone. Then once it shows as a little square below the message you're writing (with "Insert..." in the top left-hand corner), hit Insert, then 'thumbnail.'
Bob's yer uncle.😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
03.05.22 Still walking in snow in the north of Norway.
To-day I cancelled my flight to Madrid next Monday. No camino de Madrid this spring either. may be never???😘

Attachments

• 1B716B26-DDFE-42CA-91E6-8136A22BA263.jpeg
    1B716B26-DDFE-42CA-91E6-8136A22BA263.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 3
  • 4B935BE7-73E0-427B-98F4-B94874D9B28F.jpeg
    4B935BE7-73E0-427B-98F4-B94874D9B28F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 35FCEB15-CD56-439A-A898-ED092785BE33.jpeg
    35FCEB15-CD56-439A-A898-ED092785BE33.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A walk in an area that I hadn't been before and didn't know existed before yesterday - the Surrey Nature Centre and the trails of Green Timbers Urban Forest. I went because there was a reported sighting of a Black Headed Grosbeak. I found the bird pretty quickly. Beautiful markings - I watched it for a bit and caught a quick photo before it flew off.

grosbeak.jpeg

A little further along the path where I saw the grosbeak was a sign for the Story Trail. A children's book with themes connected to nature is chosen each month and reproduced page by page and installed along the story trail. The book for May is the lyrical and powerful "I Talk Like a River" by the poet Jordon Smith and beautifully illustrated by Sydney Smith. A lovely way to read a book! Along the way, serenaded by a White-crowned Sparrow.

IF1.jpeg white crowned.jpeg

Continuing on along a path leading into a story I didn't know - the birthplace of reforestation in British Columbia. Almost 100 years ago, citizens protested the proposed clear cut of a 2,000 acre old growth forest. They lost the fight but the government promised 640 acres as the province's first reforestation project. Begun as the "Inaugural Forest", it still stands as a protected place and important ecosystem for animals, birds and many plants including the Salmonberry, my favourite spring blossom and the protected Western Trillium.

IF2.jpeg IF5.jpeg IF3.jpeg IF4.jpeg IMG_2487.jpeg

I owe my teenage summer tree planting jobs to this project :) It was a great walk exploring the paths of this forest.

€60,-
My pictures are so bleak and more of the same compared with what you all post here.
But I guess it is what it is...😉.
Morning walk. The five k.loop around the village. Even the muddiest parts are now dry...

View attachment 124707View attachment 124708View attachment 124711View attachment 124709View attachment 124710
Why is this song in my mind now? I never promised you a rose garden... the main point for me is to be able to see what you have seen! For example today, my first thought was: thank goodness Sabine does not have to spend time cleaning her boots after her walk! Second thought: the farmers do need rain. let it come during the working week...

A walk in an area that I hadn't been before and didn't know existed before yesterday - the Surrey Nature Centre and the trails of Green Timbers Urban Forest. I went because there was a reported sighting of a Black Headed Grosbeak. I found the bird pretty quickly. Beautiful markings - I watched it for a bit and caught a quick photo before it flew off.

View attachment 124698

A little further along the path where I saw the grosbeak was a sign for the Story Trail. A children's book with themes connected to nature is chosen each month and reproduced page by page and installed along the story trail. The book for May is the lyrical and powerful "I Talk Like a River" by the poet Jordon Smith and beautifully illustrated by Sydney Smith. A lovely way to read a book! Along the way, serenaded by a White-crowned Sparrow.

View attachment 124699 View attachment 124705

Continuing on along a path leading into a story I didn't know - the birthplace of reforestation in British Columbia. Almost 100 years ago, citizens protested the proposed clear cut of a 2,000 acre old growth forest. They lost the fight but the government promised 640 acres as the province's first reforestation project. Begun as the "Inaugural Forest", it still stands as a protected place and important ecosystem for animals, birds and many plants including the Salmonberry, my favourite spring blossom and the protected Western Trillium.

View attachment 124700 View attachment 124703 View attachment 124701 View attachment 124702 View attachment 124704

I owe my teenage summer tree planting jobs to this project :) It was a great walk exploring the paths of this forest.
I found a video with Jordan speaking his book. I cannot thank you enough for this treasure.

My pictures are so bleak and more of the same compared with what you all post here.
But I guess it is what it is...😉.
Morning walk. The five k.loop around the village. Even the muddiest parts are now dry...
Well... I have to say that I don't find them bleak and perhaps the same geographically but never the same depending on light, weather, time of year. I always find beauty in your photos Sabine. These in particular today - beautiful moody light with the brightness of spring colour on the landscape. Those lovely cows :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, but I will look that up. It was the one in this screenshot. I have not finished it yet..

7E85F312-BEAA-48FD-B047-6DB15AF4D484.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have cows too.
20220510_104332.jpg
And impossibly beautiful surroundings.
I have well and truely busted out of my corridor - in the Toggenburg region of Switzerland, with views of Churfürsten on one side:
20220510_102857.jpg
And the Säntis on the other (not to mention strange animals):
20220510_104050.jpg

I don't have much walking time, but even a 20 minute stroll is impressive.
20220510_103307.jpg

Not. At. All!
Just more subtle.
I so enjoy seeing your changing seasons, with the different play of light and color. And now that I've walked through your neck of the woods, I have a deeper appreciation of the quiet beauty of the low countries. It's actually very special.
(And wow, since I was there, Spring has well and truely come. May there be rain, too, just not when you want to walk.)

€60,-
I am going to cheat quite openly. I sometimes send screenshots from the paper I read to @Theatregal, given her art in photographing birds and fowl. This time I will share one with you all. I will walk shortly, but the same old same old, so no need to take up cyber space!
BD67A5F4-6258-48FE-AD7F-B9A9FB3B8395.jpeg
To credit, which is fair, the Irish Times, today, front page.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Almost like a summer's day today... so, along I trekked by the quays and up into the Church of St James, and home again. I will be on a spell of duty there next Saturday. A few photos from inside the church...
15E9AB54-23A0-4641-B6AC-15B24022F360.jpeg8FDB8F7E-F455-4907-8C4C-443661D4A15F.jpegF42A6AB7-1ADB-423D-BD00-36E899B63060.jpegA85AD1F3-EB22-409A-91A7-8F04ABB09042.jpegB3B0CBE8-27B9-4E32-99DA-4187F2990967.jpeg

And then a little detour to buy a treat!
249B3652-0C24-408D-9312-08B613CC59BE.jpeg
The half eaten one was hot!!!

E909B5F5-97BB-4502-8995-512D79997312.jpeg

Three C's today. Coast, Countryside and Canterbury.

Managed to go along the sea wall so cutting out a lot of travel through roads and villages. Beautiful day but sad to see the Navy anchored in the bay waiting for migrants to cross, which they will do today as the sea is flat.

Then over the downs to Canterbury through the quaintly named village of Lynsore Bottom - home to proctologists?

The route to Canterbury travels along the first few miles of the Via Francigena so was able to have a quick chat with a practising pilgrim, practising walking with a pack prior to starting next month. Commented that the signs out of Canterbury for the VF and not clear which I would agree with so if it's on your list have a detailed map so you don't wander around the city.

If you do want to have a wander in Canterbury there are some very pleasant parks and the opportunity to have a punt along the Great Stour river - though from the pics you will see it is more of a stream than a river.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.JPG
    IMG_3119.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3122.JPG
    IMG_3122.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3123.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3125.JPG
    IMG_3125.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 9
It’s summer in May here in the south…85F yesterday. No snow capped mountains or livestock in the City, but the backwaters of the Chattahoochee are lush and green and the cold-blooded wildlife is out and enjoying it.

Attachments

• 56B57B19-77A8-4100-A797-184BA50FA958.jpeg
    56B57B19-77A8-4100-A797-184BA50FA958.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • 498AC711-373D-4C38-BEBC-C5AA74F8F1F5.jpeg
    498AC711-373D-4C38-BEBC-C5AA74F8F1F5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 28B12C69-97F6-4BE8-A5A6-245F3A753B4C.jpeg
    28B12C69-97F6-4BE8-A5A6-245F3A753B4C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • E58DFDC1-4110-49FF-94A6-7F7F127BAD29.jpeg
    E58DFDC1-4110-49FF-94A6-7F7F127BAD29.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My walk this sfternoon, a relief after a day in front of a computer. About a 4 km loop in Emelia-Romana, up to the top of a hill called Monte Santo and down the other side. Oak and Black Locust on this side, and Chestnuts over there. And everything is blooming! It's a gentler landscape than last week, but no less lovely.
20220517_174956.jpg20220517_175627.jpg20220517_180035.jpg20220517_171242.jpg20220517_171139_001.jpg
20220517_175300.jpg
20220517_174947.jpg 20220517_174817.jpg
Hmmm....la Via dell’Olio e del Pan...
My kind of walk! 🤣:

Where are you now, @VNwalking? Who did you walk with in Holland and Belgium, and are you teaching your meditation classes along the way? Looks like a delightful trip!

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back