• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do ( did ) you walk ( locally ) in 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got back from a trip south and have had the opportunity to do two local walks since. I'll save yesterday's walk and the previous month's walks for later because today's walk has only one picture to caption.

Each year Peg likes to count the pink lady slippers in bloom that we see on our walks. We have gotten to 300 (plus or minus) but today the count was 50, a high number for the first count of the year but we returned north later than normal.

Here's a picture of the first one seen locally this year.
PXL_20230519_165158023.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A walk in the Alpujarras, a region , at the foot of the Sierra Nevada in southern Spain.
For four nights we stayed in the village of Capileira, one of the three villages perched on the Poqueira gorge
The highest mountain in mainland Spain at 3482 m (11423 ft) was always in view but we did not go to the top this time as we hadn’t acclimatised properly
We did five years ago and the views were as far Morocco
This walk was to the abandoned village of Cebadilla and back on the other side of the Poqueira river
Water channels from the mountains rushed water down the valley and we were surprised to see the little chapel contained fodder for cattle
The village had an eerie feeling IMG_5152.jpegIMG_5153.jpegIMG_5155.jpegIMG_5166.jpegIMG_5169.jpegIMG_5171.jpegIMG_5160.jpegIMG_5173.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In April I spent about 16 days in Nepal walking the Annapurna Circuit. This month I have been doing day hikes in northern Pakistan. In July I will start the Norte!

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_053059667.jpg
    PXL_20230512_053059667.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230522_055634513~2.jpg
    PXL_20230522_055634513~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230417_015858979.jpg
    PXL_20230417_015858979.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Sunday we took an unexpected walk with the local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. We had forgotten about it as I hadn't marked it on the calendar thinking that we would still be on our trip. @TaijiPilgrim happened to have mentioned it that morning on another thread. Its length was about at the limit of Peg's comfort zone but with few hills and recent longer hikes she was up for it. It was mostly in the woods but also across a few fields. The Ipswich River was at the mid-point. Part of the trip was along a stretch of the Bay Circuit Trail ringing Boston.
PXL_20230521_175210887.jpg PXL_20230521_183345181.jpg PXL_20230521_184230579.jpg PXL_20230521_185702401.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
West of Ireland. Came across these strips of peat briquettes which are a traditional method of heating. In contrast in the background is a wind farm - the modern replacement.

And further on the briquette making machine which appeared to have broken with the operator calling for help.

And the Shannon ferry.

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3917.jpeg
    IMG_3917.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Monsignor who gathered the money for that airport had a great vision,
Knock basilica. The size is surprising but it seems 450,000 people came here once to see the Pope!
Without Monsignor James Horan, perhaps the shrine would not be what it is today. He wheedled money out of government and the pockets of the then faithful citizens of Ireland and members of the dominant relgious tradition.
It attracts thousands of passengers and many visit the shrine.
Thanks for the photos.

The Monsignor who gathered the money for that airport had a great vision,

Without Monsignor James Horan, perhaps the shrine would not be what it is today. He wheedled money out of government and the pockets of the then faithful citizens of Ireland and members of the dominant relgious tradition.
It attracts thousands of passengers and many visit the shrine.
Thanks for the photos.
I actually have flown into NOC to visit family. Great to see the pictures @Corned Beef , and you’ve got that story right @Kirkie .

A walk around the La Tata ….6 villages connected by rough paths and the name comes from the Arabic word Ta
with a moorish heritag, their history goes back to Roman times
we stayed in Capileira at 4700 ft approx and is the highest of the three villages
walked down to Bubion the middle village and up over the ridge with a wonderful view back to all 3
Coffee at Pitres the first of the Taha
Very few people seen but the mule was interested in our passing by
This time we didn’t go down the gorge to the Roman bridge as it was a long enough walk
More coffee before the bus came right on time IMG_5194.jpegIMG_5199.jpegIMG_5210.jpegIMG_5211.jpegIMG_5217.jpegIMG_5221.jpegIMG_5222.jpegIMG_5229.pngIMG_5230.png

Aisne-Marne cemetery poster.jpg

Here in France within the Aisne-Marne cemetery are buried 2,289 American war dead who summer 1918 fought at Belleau Wood near Chateau Thierry and elsewhere along the Marne River.

During the past two decades that we have lived nearby my husband and I remembered those fallen American forces as we do today, Sunday, May 28, 2023, when the American Battle Monuments Commission sites commemorate Memorial Day worldwide.

May we never forget those who died on the battlefield.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Went for a 5K stroll today, as yesterday was my long training day. Not a 100 M into a crushed limestone path, a beautiful deer broke cover and stood abreast of the trail looking at me. He was calm and we both were relaxed, and eventually he ambled off. Positive start to the day.

St Aengus Church in Donegal, Ireland. The shape reflects an Iron Age hill fort that sits above it in the hills. When I got to 800 ft I could see the fort another 200 ft higher. Decided I had enough and headed downhill to the replica. Great weather though.

Attachments

• IMG_3960.jpeg
    IMG_3960.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back home from Spain and my Camino adventures. So now it is no more tortillas and bocadillos, but my usual walks close to the river again.
Quite a change now since when I left for spain, this was all still ice and snow.
(In case the video with the sound takes too long to load, I also attached a still image.)
View attachment IMG_3451.mov
IMG_3450.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wasn't able to do one of my favorite walks this year as we were away April 19th. That's Patriots Day in Massachusetts (well, until they made it a Monday observation). Local miltias in 1775 met to observe the King's troops on their mission to confiscate weapons. Things went badly and the war for independence started. Several times I've walked overnight to attend a morning commemorative ceremony.

@mspath's post triggered the thought that I could walk to Concord this national Memorial Day holiday instead. I headed out right after dawn but drove halfway to Concord this time instead of walking from home as Peg was unable to pick me up. I walked though woods and then a rural road to Minuteman National Historic Park.

PXL_20230529_095214166.jpg PXL_20230529_100134847.jpg PXL_20230529_103431440.jpg

A visitor center near North Bridge, where a fight took place, used to be the home of a descendant of one of the officers that day. He had landscaped and gardened around the home and the Park Service has maintained that.

PXL_20230529_105440147.jpg PXL_20230529_105903127.jpg

The bridge where companies of the opposing sides fired on each other was removed for many years and so a memorial obelisk was erected on the town side. For the centennial commemoration a bridge was rebuilt and a statue erected on the side occupied by militias. The bridge standing now is a close replica to the 1775 one.

PXL_20230529_110825447.jpg PXL_20230529_111408786.jpg PXL_20230529_110609189.jpg

It was a good wildlife day. There was half a dozen turkeys blocking the road to my start point. They were mainly Toms strutting their stuff. There was no safe place to pull over so no pics. I startled a white tail deer in the woods. Too fast so no pics. More turkeys, too far away so .... A snapping turtle crossed a path and, although slow, still managed to get into a poison ivy patch before I could get a good picture. Canada geese were abundant.

PXL_20230529_111157626.jpg PXL_20230529_112338011.jpg

In the afternoon Peg and I took one of our usual walks. So it was a 17 kilometer day, my longest one in a very long time.

Last edited:
These are not ‘local’ and normally I would not post them. However I was specifically asked to post some pics of my visit to Czechia where I am travelling with a Czech friend, who wanted to visit “one last time.” Today we went to the very informative museum in Jáchymov where silver was discovered in the the 15th century and uranium more recently. On our way back to our hotel, instead of walking along the main road we discovered a beautiful old trail through the forest.
IMG_0402.jpegIMG_0410.jpeg

Walking down to Pampaneira the lowest of the poqueira villages, we took the GR7 to the “witches village” of Soportuijar
Paths going in all directions and the GR poorly marked on overgrown paths so naturally and as per usual we were going in all directions!
Quite funny I suppose as the very last marker we saw was bran new with the GR/E4 beautifully painted on it
a lovely scenic walk until we hit the road without a clue as to where we were in relation to the village,
Deciding to walk upwards, we saw a bus coming in the direction of home, waved the driver, he stopped and on we hopped!
well we can always get to Soportujar another time, and 20km was enough for one day IMG_5246.pngIMG_5248.jpegIMG_5257.jpegIMG_5260.jpegIMG_5261.jpegIMG_5265.jpegIMG_5271.jpegIMG_5251.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Back in Blighty and in the Yorkshire Dales
Path from Aysgarth along the river Ure to Ashrigg and back by a higher path through the hills
Beautiful trees all around us and meadows in bloom

Cows that came towards us as we crossed a field….and kept coming towards us ….what to do but hot foot it to the nearest gate
They were young cows and perhaps just curious but we weren’t taking any chances!

A stile in the middle of a field and a few more along the way but if I get any bigger I might just get stuck in one
good walking weather and the gizmo said 20km but the legs already knew that by the time wed finished IMG_5390.jpegIMG_5394.jpegIMG_5399.jpegIMG_5405.jpegIMG_5407.jpegIMG_5411.jpegIMG_5414.jpegIMG_5415.jpegIMG_5417.pngIMG_5409.jpeg

Back in Blighty and in the Yorkshire Dales
Path from Aysgarth along the river Ure to Ashrigg and back by a higher path through the hills
I love the names. Our short stay in the Dales had us spending a couple of nights in Giggleswick.

In other walking news I'm a week late in reporting that an invitation Peg extended to friends in a weekly Zoom session resulted in four of them visiting us to go on a wildflower hunt on one of our usual walks. A normal hour walk was two and a half hours that day. So, a success. Wine, crackers and cheese followed.

PXL_20230524_181259338.jpg PXL_20230524_181957750.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A circular walk to Whernside, the highest but easiest of the Yorkshire 3 peaks at 736m or 2415 ft
The 3 peaks challenge is undertaken by hundreds if not thousands every year …the challenge is to tackle the 25 mile circuit of the 3 peaks in less than 12 hours!
We’ve done all three but not on the same day and the time was a lot more than 12 hours!

The Ribbleshead viaduct ,one of the great feats of Victorian engineering loomed over us as we approached the start, then up all the way
Wonderful views as far as the Lake District from the top
A good walk of about 14km IMG_5456.jpegIMG_5454.jpegIMG_5452.jpegIMG_5449.jpegIMG_5448.jpegIMG_5446.jpegIMG_5438.jpegIMG_5436.jpegIMG_5435.jpegIMG_5428.jpeg

A very scenic walk from Muker to Keld
Part of the walk was on the Pennine way with A small section on the “Coast to Coast” walk
High above the valley on the upward stretch and back by the river with waterfalls and natural pools
the little village of Keld was founded in the 9th/10th centaury by Scandinavian settlers and the old school there now houses a wonderful museum of past local history
The little church is next door to the old school IMG_5470.jpegIMG_5476.jpegIMG_5478.jpegIMG_5479.jpegIMG_5482.jpegIMG_5483.jpegIMG_5485.jpegIMG_5491.jpegIMG_5495.jpegIMG_5496.jpeg

Yesterday I walked by a procession. Not something you see much anymore in this region.
To honour Saint Genoveva.

Today a fourteen k walk in Webbekoms brook and the gorgeous town of Diest here in Belgium.

20230604_120557.jpg20230604_120633.jpg20230605_112639.jpg20230605_112635.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A day off and a chance to spend some good hours outside at two favourite places - Iona and Terra Nova. A beautiful day to wander and see what's going on, what's flying and what's blooming :) I'm seeing more butterflies this year! Today a Lorquin's Admiral and a lucky Western Tiger Swallowtail who escaped whatever bit off its right tail and a chunk from its wing. Watched a group of artists painting along the river and was serenaded by a Song Sparrow. Feeling rejuvenated for another long week ahead!

IMG_7281.jpeg IMG_7274.jpeg IMG_3530.jpeg IMG_3534.jpeg IMG_7280.jpeg IMG_3472.jpeg IMG_3503.jpeg IMG_7288.jpeg IMG_7300.jpeg IMG_7292.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A walk on the Dales way from Hubberholme
The beautiful little church here was in a tv scene for the marriage ceremony in”All creatures great and small” from the books written by James Herriot
Then all by the river and through the hilly meadows covered in wild flowers
It almost felt like walking through a painting

The waterfalls flowing into the pools, first in West Barton and then the
The Hardraw waterfall which is the highest single drop fall in England and was filmed in a scene in the film “Robin Hood, Prince of thieves“
Then again the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales is almost surreal in itself IMG_5516.jpegIMG_5527.jpegIMG_5534.jpegIMG_5540.jpegIMG_5552.jpegIMG_5576.jpegIMG_5594.jpegIMG_5608.jpeg

Another favourite route.
Someone has given the statue a shelter.
The ro-ro cargo ship Delphine is in bay 33 at the port - I found it on the web! It arrived this morning. Registered in Malta.
Some kind person left me a tiny shell. Well, I took it as being for me! A little symbol to travel with me to Zabaldika the week after this.
I took a little video to let you hear the sound of the ocean... well, the sea, the tiny waves! Don't worry if the video doesn't work.
IMG_0511.jpegIMG_0513.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg
View attachment IMG_0514.mov

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Happening to be in Romania for the first time in my life, I thought I'd take advantage and do a few days of the new long distance trail, the Vía Transilvanica. My first day was today, leaving King Stephen the Great's tomb at Putna monastery near the Ukraine border. It was a bit rough in one section, but very well marked. Hope the next few days are good - heading up to higher ground, which I usually like.

Haven't bumped into one of these yet:

4ee09208-2d83-407b-8dfa-ae14133fd599~2.jpeg

Alan's picture has prompted me to post some pictures of a short hike we took a month ago on a trip we took. This picture was taken at our turnaround point. Ignore the fine print; it was the time limit we set that had us head back. Really.
PXL_20230511_192854267.jpg

We were camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. Peg didn't remember being at the summit of Mount Mitchell before so we revisited it. It's the highest point in the US east of the Mississippi River. The parking lot was quite close to the summit so for our hike we headed down on the cross state Mountains to Sea Trail and then up again.
PXL_20230511_182147925.jpg PXL_20230511_182300729.jpg PXL_20230511_185347998.jpg PXL_20230511_190212653.jpg PXL_20230511_190458992.jpg PXL_20230511_194317469.jpg

A vista on our return along the parkway.
PXL_20230511_203511257.jpg

€46,-
A midsummer's day stroll yesterday to the temple at the former Dacian capital of Sarmizegusta Regia, high up in the deep forests of the Carpathians. Almost completely deserted when I arrived at about 11am. A sacred place for the Romanians. Very lovely, very special.

DSC_0960.JPG

Yesterday, the first day of summer, I took my least favorite walks. Pretty much the same ones I took three months ago near the start of spring. I drove my car to the shop, walked home along a busy and over developed road, walked back to the shop and drove home. Yesterday though I decided to walk back to the shop a different way. This was a mile longer but I figured it would have less traffic, more sidewalk and be both prettier and shadier. Yes, yes, yes and yes but that extra mile felt like two or three extra. I may try it again but next time it will be on the morning walk home. 10 miles total.

The two nicest parts of yesterday's walks was stopping to do some shopping at three garden centers. I saw some plants to go back for once I've dug some holes for them. The other nice thing about the walk is that I entertained myself while walking through the dreary parts of the landscape with imagining what the road looked like almost 400 years ago when my 9th great-grandfather walked it to court my 9th great-grandmother shortly after the town was founded.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I live just south of Houston, Texas and walk indoors at our recreation center. It has two pools, two basketball courts, a weight room and, most importantly, a walking track. Since it's already over 100 degrees F with high humidity, I walk indoors. I walk about 4 KM now but will increase since I'm about a year away from my walk on the Camino. At 76 I hope to be able to finish. Slow, short stages should help.
In 1836 Texas won it's independence from Mexico and for ten years was a country of its own. This is a monument to the battle that won that independence.

Attachments

• IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    988.1 KB · Views: 11
I live just south of Houston, Texas and walk indoors at our recreation center. It has two pools, two basketball courts, a weight room and, most importantly, a walking track. Since it's already over 100 degrees F with high humidity, I walk indoors. I walk about 4 KM now but will increase since I'm about a year away from my walk on the Camino. At 76 I hope to be able to finish. Slow, short stages should help.
In 1836 Texas won it's independence from Mexico and for ten years was a country of its own. This is a monument to the battle that won that independence.
@backlasher that Texas heat is rough. This week I called the San Antonio Diocese regarding the Missions walk. There’s 4 of them on a 15 mile route, and it sounds like a great jump start on the Camino. They did warn me that the heat Is extreme, so if I travel there it’ll be a very early start.

Today I was so lucky to walk with Caminobuddy @VNwalking .
She is such good company and is always able to give me excellent information about all the fauna and flora we hear and pass by.
We covered around 10.5 k on hilly terrain.
Afterwards a nice lunch and we talked Caminostuff ...😄
St Pietersberg in Maastricht. Next to the river Meuse of course.20230624_094649.jpg20230624_113637.jpg20230624_122234.jpg20230624_123644.jpg20230624_125303.jpg20230624_132105.jpg20230624_133249.jpg

20230624_153523.jpg

Another stroll, this time as if going to Trinidad de Arre. My reward shines all by itself. I took the lateral path leaving Zabaldika, meeting the point where those who climb from the rest area meet that path, and all then walk the same path to Trinidad de Arre. Zip-off shorts, from 2006. I leave them in Pamplona, using them every year!

1687847980484.jpegIMG_0701.jpegIMG_0705.jpegIMG_0709.jpegIMG_0722.jpegIMG_0711.jpeg

Was supposed to do a new circular walk of 8k. Halfway I first had to cross a meadow with lazy cows. No issues there. Then another meadow with two nervous horses.
If I had been in a group I would have walked on but now I could not read the situation.
So back where I came from.
Silly me!
Passed a wineorchard ( Cuvelier) and one of the many squared farms in the region.
Some poetry.2023-06-27_11-25-26.jpg

20230627_110128.jpg20230627_110215.jpg2023-06-27_11-13-41.jpg2023-06-27_11-18-52.jpg20230627_110230.jpg20230627_121721.jpg20230627_115602.jpg

Last edited:
@backlasher that Texas heat is rough. This week I called the San Antonio Diocese regarding the Missions walk. There’s 4 of them on a 15 mile route, and it sounds like a great jump start on the Camino. They did warn me that the heat Is extreme, so if I travel there it’ll be a very early start.
On June 20 a postal worker died because of the excessive heat. Be careful and drink lots of water.

FIve k.around the block again.
My first idea was to cycle to Tongeren to view the procession of Our Lady ( big thing every seven years ) but then thought I'd better train a bit for the Inglés end of August.

Variations today of cloudy weather and very dry underground.

2023-07-02_13-39-38.jpg2023-07-02_13-45-00.jpg2023-07-02_13-53-05.jpg2023-07-02_14-00-20.jpg2023-07-02_14-13-56.jpgScreenshot_20230702_142748_Wikiloc.jpg

I glanced at another post just now and remembered this photo I took this morning.
For those approaching Irotz, just before Zabaldika.
The flowing water is not safe to drink, but it certainly looks as if the push tap releases safe water...
IMG_0773.jpeg
on second thoughts, do not believe me till I check this out...

In addition, I usually stop and talk to the person named on this Cross, and ask her to guide all the pilgrims who look at it.
IMG_0776.jpeg
PS: I just checked with a local. The push tap is treated, drinking water.

Last edited:
An early exit from Pamplona, about half an hour by car, and then a lovely circular walk of around 17km. Here is a screenshot of the wiki plan, and a couple of photos added for good luck... a sea of red and white as we made our way out of the city in the morning but I took no photos! The last photo shows new life at the end of a skinny branch of a fallen tree
PHOTO-2023-07-06-17-54-26.jpegPHOTO-2023-07-06-11-43-47.jpegIMG_0838.jpegIMG_0835.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
20230701_111038.jpg20230701_142429.jpg
20230701_142303.jpg20230701_141747.jpg
Last weekend we spent a few days in Lochem and the Holterberg. (in the East of the Netherlands or the Achterhoek) On the Holterberg we visited the Canadian cemetery of honor. Two stories have moved us deeply, the first about the youngest soldier (17 years young) who is buried here and of a young couple (20 years young) married for a few months who survived the war and died in a car accident . They had stayed in the Netherlands with many other soldiers to help with the reconstruction off our country.
20230702_101247.jpg20230702_101021.jpg
20230702_100734.jpg20230702_100718.jpg

I have just found the name of the forum member who sent me a lot of useful information about a walk I did a section of today.
IMG_0856.jpegIMG_0867.jpegIMG_0874.jpeg@Tom Hagger - thank you! It has taken a few years, but today finally I walked a section from Uriza to 2km before Lekumberri, at the cascade.
It mostly follows the former railway tracks. On left, a fine river, then the via verde, on right the old road to San Sebastian, and above that the new motorway to SS.

Last edited:

€46,-
As it is peak summer with just about still 24hrs of daylight every day, and as I am not at the cabin but at our main home, I am doing 5k on mountain bike every day with the youngest dog (7 months now). Just above the river valley.
The last image is just the traditional cool down behind the house after the ride – a stark contrast to the somewhat wilder nature surrounding us 😉

IMG_3969.jpegIMG_3989.jpegIMG_3998.jpeg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
27 kilometers of hiking on Saturday, nature park "Žumberak - Samobor highlands" near Zagreb, central Croatia. Hot day, but mostly in the woods.

Attachments

• 20230708_131233.jpg
    20230708_131233.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230708_115715.jpg
    20230708_115715.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230708_141021.jpg
    20230708_141021.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230708_154331.jpg
    20230708_154331.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230708_180638.jpg
    20230708_180638.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 12
Sometimes, an encore?
First, ugly tomatoes. Taste like real tomatoes.
Beautiful salad onions.
Tuna whole, and already chopped - see the difference in cost.
Then a turbot, the most expensive this morning in the mercado.
And a final swim in the pool at Irotz. This is an old photo, as there were young people there so I could not take a new photo without including them.

IMG_0905.jpegIMG_0906.jpegIMG_0908.jpegIMG_0909.jpegPHOTO-2023-07-10-13-37-59.jpegPHOTO-2023-07-10-13-37-57 2.jpegIMG_0907.jpeg

Last edited:
Home again! Hopped out to the airport to pick up the keyboard for my ipad inadvertently left behind at security on my way over to Spain 😣.
I can travel free to the airport, last stop before the motorway, and then I decided to walk home. Well, that lasted for a while. About 8km, before I got lazy and nipped on to a bus... one photo, of the entrance to a lovely park...Next time, I will walk the whole way!

IMG_0942.jpeg

€46,-
Another walk near the cabin. First cloudberries of the season and some tired huskies who prefer temperatures below freezing point. 😎
But even for humans that far north 25°C under a scorching sun feel much hotter than elsewhere on the planet. Even short term visitors from warmer countries confirm this.
(Location: Planet Earth, Europe, Scandinavia, Arctic Circle)

IMG_4110.jpegIMG_4111.jpegIMG_4103.jpegIMG_4099.jpegIMG_4114.jpegIMG_4123.jpeg

How lucky am ai? Wet, cold and windy. Thank God for dear oul' Ireland. On my way to Hero's cafe to wait till time to open Camino Info centre today. Have hopped on bis but will walk home at 15.30. I thinknthat counts! Also, I hope I taped Wimbledon. The only couch potato time in the year.
IMG_0949.jpegIMG_0950.jpegIMG_0948.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
10 days walking from Pamplona to Burgos
Last minute booking on Wednesday
Flight to Zaragoza , bus to Pamplona
Walking on Sunday

just posting here as I did not want to start a new thread
Hope this is ok? IMG_5848.pngIMG_5847.pngIMG_5846.pngIMG_5845.pngIMG_5844.pngIMG_5843.pngIMG_5842.pngIMG_5841.pngIMG_5840.pngIMG_5839.png

8 years since we walked this section and I’d forgotten how beautiful it is.
Green paths, vineyards and wonderful scenery
It was almost…..almost as exciting as our first Camino in 2005
Very few pilgrims walking so long stretches without seeing anyone.
Spoilt for choice regarding accommodation and often we were the only ones in the Hostal although I believe that some of the albergues in the towns were often full
Those albergues mid stage had plenty of room

Surprised to see that the town of punta La Reina was like a ghost town from what we’d remembered ….also a few others
we kept to the John Brierly stages this time
It was pretty hot too at 30 but we were always walking before 6am, finishing around 1pm

The days of the cheap Menu del Dia are over too and the least expensive menu we found, day or evening was around €18 with a glass of wine rather than the bottle of old
I think we might even attempt this section next year at the same time …..wishing

Training day on the South Downs. There’s nothing really hilly here if you need to get a bit of serious hillwalking in so these chalk escarpments are useful for some training.

Good weather so could hear and see the buzzards, skylarks, swifts and ravens. Have an app called Merlin that helps identify birds you hear by their call.

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpeg
    IMG_4047.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
We're certainly not experiencing heat like other areas of the province but it's still nice to spend a couple of hours walking in the cool shaded woods. Along the way, a lovely Lorquin's Admiral butterfly and a Pileated Woodpecker. The last photo is of a long fallen Cedar tree that has become a nurse log, supporting an astonishing 19 Hemlock saplings along it's length!!

IMG_7809.jpeg DSC05056 (1).jpeg IMG_7806.jpeg IMG_7812.jpeg IMG_7816.jpeg DSC05046.jpeg IMG_7836.jpeg IMG_7832.jpeg

€60,-
Walking along one of our usual trails at home about two weeks ago we had some good news and bad. The blueberries started to ripen and the mosquitoes that normally swarm at the end of May decided that the have waited long enough. Previous years I could get by without putting on any repellent because they targeted Peg even though she had been sprayed. Not this year. Maybe a Covid vaccine/infection thing? Anyway, this week we will be having cooler and dryer weather and yesterday the blueberry to mosquito ratio was better so we brought some bags and collected enough berries for several mornings worth of pancakes and waffles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back