• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do I obtain the credencial for the Camino san Salvador?

handzondeck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Life is one big adventure - follow your dreams.
Hi all
I am walking the Camino san Salvador next year in May and understand that there is a particular credencial for this camino. I remember reading a post on where to obtain the credencial for this walk but have not been able to locate it. Any one know where one can get the San Salvador credencial in Leon?
TIA

Sharon

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all
I am walking the Camino san Salvador next year in May and understand that there is a particular credencial for this camino. I remember reading a post on where to obtain the credencial for this walk but have not been able to locate it. Any one know where one can get the San Salvador credencial in Leon?
TIA

Sharon

Have a look at this info
http://www.caminosansalvador.es/credencial/

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In late September an hospitalero at the Leon Albergue tried to dissuade me from walking the Salvador. He said it was too difficult and I almost had to beg for the credencial(2E)
a Spanish perigrino of my age confirmed this happened to him also. We both managed to finish although it was gruelling at times. Don't listen to negativity luckily dear Laurie lifted my confidence. Thanks for that..

Hi all
TIA

Sharon
Hi, Sharon,

You can also obtain San Salvador compostela called Salvadorana in Cathedral of Oviedo.
Ultreia!

PS (And if possible do not miss this albergue: http://www.gronze.com/asturias/benduenos/albergue-peregrinos-santuario-benduenos)

Thank you for all your replies. I shall bear in mind the issue obtaining the credential

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is the Salvador difficult? Some of the stages, sure. Is it too difficult to even consider? Not at all. If you are fit, even just somewhat fit, you'll be fine. Of course, the weather is the biggest obstacle as you reach the higher altitude sections. I've walked it twice, once in mid-May and the second time in August. May was wet and very muddy with some snow—but not much—and dangerous fog at the Puerto de Pajares. August was wonderful. Both times there were very few pilgrims.

I obtained the specific credential at the main León albergue. The hospitalero warned me about the weather and rain but did not discourage me from taking the Salvador. The second time I just used the normal Camino credential as I was doing several routes before and after the Salvador.

It's my favorite Camino route. Enjoy!

Hi all
TIA

Sharon

Sharon:

As others have said, you can get the credential in the Albergue in Leon. No one tried to discourage me from walking and I began on April 1st. This is a beautiful walk but very solitary (2013). I did not see another Pilgrim. You can get a Compostela in the Cathedral in Oviedo. In Poladura de la Tercia, I would recommend you make a reservation at the Casa rural as the Albergue is in poor condition. Unless it has had some upgrading.

I would suggest you read through the Salvador thread and use the Ender guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks JP

I noticed that you also walked the Madrid and Primitivo. Would you have a list of your stages and albergues to share?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also picked up my San Sal credencial in the municipal albergue in Leon (this last June). There were also a few photocopied guides to the route there, produced by the friends of the San Salvador. I saw this guide in a couple of the albergues as well. Top camino, well waymarked, decent albergues and popular with the Spanish. You need to calibrate the distances slightly more conservatively than the mainstream caminos as hill paths are involved and it can be testing in bad weather.

Thanks JP

I noticed that you also walked the Madrid and Primitivo. Would you have a list of your stages and albergues to share?

I believe I posted each of my stops on the Madrid. Do not recall them offhand but could go back and figure them out if you can not find my posts. I think I also did that for the Norte but did not do that on the Primitivo.

If you can not locate my posts, just PM me and I will look through my stuff and send information to you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks JP

My daily journal on Madrid is a sticky one (at the top of threads). You might want to go through it because I'm sure there aren't two people on this forum that have done exactly the same stages. This way you can have better overview of different stages/albergues. Of course some things changed since 2014 like no more rooms with Sra.Ela in Manzanares el Real but new albergue in Mataelpino to name just one.
Sorry for off-topic ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all
TIA

Sharon

Hi,

I just read through the thread rapidly so I could have missed it but... you do know that you can use any credential from the other routes? So if you come from the CF you don't need a new one for the Salvador. Of course if you start in León you'll have to find one anyway.

I found this one to be veeeeery hard on my little legs and still it was nice weather all the way through, no rain, no mist... Please let us know what you thought about it... I'm preparing for the Camino de la Lana which will be a somewhat more horizontal experience... Take care...

/Bad Pilgrim

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.