• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do I start on Porto-Santiago route?

hyuns9607

Time of past OR future Camino
I've never walked the Camino but I'm planning to walk from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.
Hi. My friends and I are planning to go on a walking trip from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.
I was doing a research about the routes and I found this website (https://www.waytosantiago.com/en/camino-porto-santiago.html) that says,

"Stage 1: Porto (V. do Pinheiro) - Arcos (17 km / 10.5 miles )
Transfer: Porto – Vilar do Pinheiro *
Start walking from the cobbled market square in Mosteiro to avoid trudging through Porto’s urban sprawl."

I tried to find where that 'cobbled market square in Mosteiro' is but I couldn't find it.
Does anyone know where it is exactly located and how to get there from Porto airport?

Please feel free to recommend me other starting points too if you started walking from other places.

Thanks in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. My friends and I are planning to go on a walking trip from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.
I was doing a research about the routes and I found this website (https://www.waytosantiago.com/en/camino-porto-santiago.html) that says,

Start walking from the cobbled market square in Mosteiro to avoid trudging through Porto’s urban sprawl."

I tried to find where that 'cobbled market square in Mosteiro' is but I couldn't find it.
Does anyone know where it is exactly located and how to get there from Porto airport?

Please feel free to recommend me other starting points too if you started walking from other places.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Vilar do Pinheiro is a metro stop just north-east of the airport.

Mosteiro is on the camino about 16kms north of Porto cathedral, and about 8kms south of Vilarinho.

Most people start walking from the cathedral in Porto.

There is no need to pay a tour company lots of money for something that most people do themselves quite easily for a lot less. You just follow the yellow arrows, and stop when you want to.

Browse around the Portuguese forum here. Lots of info and advice!
Jill

I started in Rates. To get there, take the metro from the airport north to the furthest stop, at Povoa de Varzim. Then walk a couple of blocks northwest to the square at Praça do Almada. There's a bus stop across the street from the newsstand. When a bus arrives, ask the driver for Rates (pronounced something like "rahtch"), to make sure it's the right bus.
I suppose it would also be a nice walk from the metro station to Rates, about 11km, if your flight gets to Porto early enough.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks in advance!
Hi hyuns9607 :)

and welcome.

I recommend four things:

1. In Port go to the cathedral, take the stamp and then follow the yellow arrows.

2. The best alberge on the Way is Casa de Fernanda, you certainly spend the very good time.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/casa-de-fernanda.52968/#post-586877

3. In Ponferrada take Spiritual Variante, to Padron.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/variante-espiritual.51306/#post-562230

4. Before Santiago stay in O Milladoiro. Nice new alberge 7-8 km from Santiago. In the morning, after breakfast, reinvigorated, lightly walked you come in Santiago about noon.

Bon caminho

Well, here I am back again! Greeting, Hyuns! Just start at the Cathedral, and follow the arrows!
My adventure from Porto is here: http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago
I have just decided on "one more final camino" next year when I shall be 80!! It'll probably be the Porto coastal route.
Good luck, my friend!

The answer is easy. You follow an ancient Roman cobblestoned road. You will meet more cobblestoned roads on your caminho when you walk the original central route from Porto. If you want to avoid that, take the coastal route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would not miss walking along the river out of Porto.

I agree with all the above readers with one caveat. I have walked 3 times and about 3500k. I have my own personal opinion of tour companies which is negative but for some it is the comfort level they need.
Walk your own Camino. The Camino, what you feel, where you eat, sleep, who you meet, etc is between you and your Camino. Go to the Cathedral in Porto, follow the arrows and take one step at a time. When you get out of your head and into your heart, body and soul you will know everything you need to know. Wherever you eat, whoever you meet, wherever you walk and sleep will be the absolute perfect stage and pace to be on.
Enjoy everything, meet everyone, embrace everything and you will have the experience of a lifetime!
Bom Camino

Hi hyuns9607 :)

and welcome.

I recommend four things:

1. In Port go to the cathedral, take the stamp and then follow the yellow arrows.

2. The best alberge on the Way is Casa de Fernanda, you certainly spend the very good time.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/casa-de-fernanda.52968/#post-586877

3. In Ponferrada take Spiritual Variante, to Padron.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/variante-espiritual.51306/#post-562230

4. Before Santiago stay in O Milladoiro. Nice new alberge 7-8 km from Santiago. In the morning, after breakfast, reinvigorated, lightly walked you come in Santiago about noon.

Bon caminho
Hello

How early can I get the stamp at the Cathedral?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Opening hours,
April – October: 9am – 12:30pm and 2:30pm to 7pm (Cloister: 9 am to 6:30 pm).
November – March: 9am – 12:30pm (Cloister at 12:15pm) and 2:30pm – 6pm (cloister closes at 5:30pm).
The Cloister only opens in the afternoon on Sundays and religious holidays.
Christmas and Easter: closed.
--------------------------------------
Depending on your plans may be best to obtain your stamp the day before.
Many people start at the Cathedral, it is a stunning walk on the rivers edge running out of Porto or if you want to save your legs the bus number 500 follows the river out to Matosinhos and if you sit on the upper deck the view is much better.

I’ve been studying the guide book this evening and the letters S/O keep popping up. For the life of me I can’t figure what it means. Can someone please help. I’m sure it’s obvious but I’m at a loss!‍♂️

S/O usually means straight on. I wouldn't worry that much about reading the guide book and worrying where you are going as when you arrive "following the arrows" takes over and you wont have time to keep reading the guide book. As long as you keep an eye out at the sections where alternative routes cross you will be fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back