• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do you carry your valuables?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I must be an exception to the rule. I kept my national passport, credencial and wallet in the top pocket of my rucsac. I like to know where things are. At albergues they would stay in my bag when I went to the shower my phone would be left on my bed or plugged into to a socket to charge.
The vast majority of people in an albergue are probably very honest and unlikely to steal from others, by taking my stuff into the shower there is greater chance that I will forget it when finished. I lost 2 or 3 phone chargers leaving them behind in the mornings.
A place for everything and everything in its place

For me, it is passport, phone and 2 bank/credit cards. With those items, i can travel the world.
Do you mean 2 of each? 2 ccs and 2 bank cards? And they would be stashed separately ( 1 of each in pack, say, the others in person)?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you mean 2 of each? 2 ccs and 2 bank cards? And they would be stashed separately ( 1 of each in pack, say, the others in person)?
I take 1 bank and 2 credit cards, all carried on my person - normally in fabric wallet inside my pants, but moved to my cross-body bag if I expect to use one. Never in my back pack! I virtually never remove the cross-body bag, and I switch the interior pouch from my walking pamts to evening pants when I shower. Those two pouches are simply not to be lost.

As a British person I have just nervously googled ‘fanny pack’ in a busy Spanish bar! Thankfully it showed me the ‘USA version’!
An Australian explained that to me when I (from USA) wondered "Why do we call it a "fanny pack" when nobody wears it on their fanny?" (USA "fanny" = British "bum")

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
I'm wondering what system do you use to carry your valuables (passport, cash, credit cards etc)? Do you reccomend carrying them outside the backpack in some sort of a fanny pack? In your pocket, so they are on you at all times? I'm thinking about situations like going to the bathroom in a café, where I don't suppose I'll be wearing my main backpack :)
Any insight and tips much appreciated,
Michal.don
I use a money belt around my waist or neck to carry all valuables, with getting my passport out discreetly before getting to my Albergue. Bonus is my pack strap has a discreet pocket that I carry my daily cash in that I take out every time my pack is off

So I'll avoid some details, but nowadays nearly ALL transactions for me take place using my iPhone and ApplePay. My phone is kept in my pocket, so I can take pictures, look up places to see, monitor GPS directions, etc. I pay for nearly everything with my phone. Passport/credential kept in special pocket in brain of backpack and pulled once a day and immediately put back where they belong once used each night. Cash, never more than 200 euro carried and usually less, carried discretely.
Hi Damien - Just curious, like you I use ApplePay for everything at home. My question is - Is ApplePay, or digital payments in general, widely available along the Camino (Spain)?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If a "fanny pack" that I wore at all times except in the shower and depending on where I was and who I was with... sometimes I removed while I slept. But it always went in the shower with me and at night it was always in a locker, in my sleeping bag, or worn around my waist. Yes - I slept with it on at night quite often - didn't bother me at all, just shifted it to a comfortable position. Nothing of value was in my backpack. At least - nothing that I couldn't survive without if stolen.

Hi Damien - Just curious, like you I use ApplePay for everything at home. My question is - Is ApplePay, or digital payments in general, widely available along the Camino (Spain)?
You can use Apple Pay or Google Pay anywhere where you can use contactless "tap to pay" credit and debit cards.

My passport, mobile phone, and a tiny wallet (two credit cards and a bit of cash) go in the deep pockets of my skirt. One of the main reasons I wear a Macabi is for the pockets, including the clever inner security pocket with a zip that is upside down.

I am now so used to pockets, and it is so automatic to put my wallet and phone in them, that I run into trouble without them. Only yesterday I donned a summer dress (with no pockets) and managed to leave my wallet and phone at home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am now so used to pockets, and it is so automatic to put my wallet and phone in them, that I run into trouble without them.
I started buying hiking trousers with zipped pockets specially for my long distance walking years ago. My mobile phone, passport, credencial, cash and bank cards all fit in the pockets in waterproof pouches. I quickly realised how useful the zipped pockets are and these days I rarely wear any other trousers even when at home.

My valuables, I keep them in my underpants. With the family jewels.

When I read your post my thoughts somehow shifted towards "Pulp Fiction" and the story of the watch.....

When I read your post my thoughts somehow shifted towards "Pulp Fiction" and the story of the watch.....
I didn't remember this so I looked it up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely. Basically anywhere that takes credit cards. They all have wireless handheld terminals.
I haven't been on Camino since the BC days (Before Covid). If ApplePay is "absolutely" widely available as an option along the Camino, that's a fairly big change over the past couple of years. Before that, outside of towns the Camino was primarily a cash economy and I would withdraw a few day's worth of cash when I was in a town with an ATM.

Hi all,
I'm wondering what system do you use to carry your valuables (passport, cash, credit cards etc)? Do you reccomend carrying them outside the backpack in some sort of a fanny pack? In your pocket, so they are on you at all times? I'm thinking about situations like going to the bathroom in a café, where I don't suppose I'll be wearing my main backpack :)
Any insight and tips much appreciated,
Michal.don
I wore Columbia hiking pants that that zipped off into shorts. I would carry my wallet in my front pocket and my pilgrim passport along with my travel passport in the opposite front pocket. Never had a problem. There were times when I actually slept with my valuables in my pockets. I would NEVER recommend leaving your wallet, passports, or phone in your backpack. If it gets stolen, your trip will be over for sure.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As if I'm going to tell the Internet where I stash my stuff!!!!!!!

:) In my pockets. In a dry bag in the showers. In a body belt in any Pickpocket Central. Never separated from me, ever. And you may be my best new Camino buddy ever but, no thanks, you don't get to look after my stuff.

Just remember that for a predator waist belt bag means worthwhile target
My valuables came attached to me at birth :)

Samarkand

I haven't been on Camino since the BC days (Before Covid). If ApplePay is "absolutely" widely available as an option along the Camino, that's a fairly big change over the past couple of years. Before that, outside of towns the Camino was primarily a cash economy and I would withdraw a few day's worth of cash when I was in a town with an ATM.
Well I'm on Camino #5 in the last two years and you can trust me the change has happened.

Well I'm on Camino #5 in the last two years and you can trust me the change has happened.
It has. Buskers and big-issue sellers in rural Cumbria have handheld payment devices now.

I still wouldn’t set off on Camino without a decent amount of cash though.

(Damien - is that moustache new or have you recently changed your avatar?)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Honestly?

No.

The full on beardy laughing-at-the-world Damien, was better.

I don’t intend to hurt, I’m as ugly as sin and don’t look down on anyone.
Maybe I can try a laughing at the world mustache dude. I mean I don't want to false advertise. That's my mission for tomorrow as I head on a short ass day to Coimbra.

I like using cash. Living in Germany, I pay for almost everything with cash even though I have an EC debit card. It keeps me on budget. The Camino is the same. Everyone has their preferences and for me, cash is easier. Guess I am just old school.

Old school, yes, but they work! Put them on with your underwear and you'll never loose either.

Pickpockets *love* fanny packs. Thank you for identifying yourself as dumb American tourist, an easy mark!

Apologies to UK readers who have a different definition of the term "fanny".

-Paul
Yes, I learned in Oz to call them "bum bags" even though "bum" has a different meaning in the US.
At least it's not a meaning that relates to a specific body part, though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For daytime use whilst walking I use a Eagle Creek hidden pocket that attaches to my belt and tucks in or I put it in one of my cargo pockets in my pants... For evenings or shower time or out on the town I put everything into my PacSafe mini pouch and lock it to the bunk bed. One even can fit electronics such as pones and small cameras in it.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 094310.jpg

I use something like this in metros.

You clip it to your waist, and instead of its face out, I have it in my pants and pressed on my body. When I have the shirt tuck out it's not noticeable.

If Alexei Sayle ever walked the Camino, there's no doubt he would keep his valuables in the same places as where he keeps tropical fish. A very wise place for precious things.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.