A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Poll Where do you come from?

Where do you come from?

• North America

Votes: 178 41.1%
  • South America

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Northern Europe

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Eastern Europe

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Southern Europe

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Western Europe

Votes: 74 17.1%
  • Central Europe

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • Australia New Zealand

Votes: 77 17.8%
  • Asia

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • Africa

Votes: 12 2.8%

• Total voters
2020 Camino Guides

Redhead Keith

Love, Light & Nature
Camino(s) past & future
Francé: 2005: 2016
Inglés: 2017
Salvador: 2018: 2019
Primitivo: 2018: 2019
I’ve had my DNA tested too. 😊 Born in a former Spanish colony in the West Indies and of mainly English, Irish and French origin, my DNA results indicate I am also 12% Spanish and 3% Basque. Columbus and his ships sailed from A Coruña ... according to The Catalogue of Shipwrecked Books, by David Wilson-Lee, a book that I found fascinating, and which I recommend if one is interested in things past. Yes, it all makes the mind boggle.

Sorry, don’t mean to hijack this thread. 🙁
No, its not hijacked. These days with DNA the question 'where do you come from?` has resounding meaning. Its fascinating, as are your origins. I don't look English - I'm not your cliché Englishman with red hair, freckles, shorts and socks and sandles wearing type. I tan easily and quickly. So when people ask me the question and I say 'England' they look surprised and ask 'but what are your roots?', I answer 'England for over a thousand years, and Scotland, Ireland, Scandanavia... ' etc etc. It bafles them and shuts them up, but is the truth.

Redhead Keith

Love, Light & Nature
Camino(s) past & future
Francé: 2005: 2016
Inglés: 2017
Salvador: 2018: 2019
Primitivo: 2018: 2019
A gorgeous city and country for sure, although I've only seen it online! 😊
Right now its freezing cold with the promise of -10C overnight. But beautiful. And I've 7% Tirol genes in me - a complete surprise that stunned me for a while, especially as its more than my British genes. Maybe that's why I was drawn here?
And you Chrissy? Do you know your origins? Where do you live now?

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
I’ve had my DNA tested too. 😊 Born in a former Spanish colony in the West Indies and of mainly English, Irish and French origin, my DNA results indicate I am also 12% Spanish and 3% Basque. Columbus and his ships sailed from A Coruña ... according to The Catalogue of Shipwrecked Books, by David Wilson-Lee, a book that I found fascinating, and which I recommend if one is interested in things past. Yes, it all makes the mind boggle.

Sorry, don’t mean to hijack this thread. 🙁
I don't understand the origins based on current nationalities. I prefer those with generic origin like: Basque, Celtic, Germanic, Bereber, Iberian, etc instead of Spanish.

Camino(s) past & future
2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 (2019) CF
2013 Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
Also late to the party...I was born and grew up in a small town in NE Ohio. Our family moved to Pasadena, California where I spent my teenage and young adult years (groovy!), married and moved to Canada and have lived in Edmonton Alberta, Fredericton New Brunswick, Paris France for one year, and now Waterloo Ontario for the past 36 years. I loved living in every one of those places - each with its own unique culture.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
And you Chrissy? Do you know your origins? Where do you live now?
I live 90 miles west of Chicago for most of my life, but have traveled extensively. My grandparents came from Sicily on my dad's side, and Germany on my mother's sides, but I'm part French, too...a mongrel maybe! Never had DNA testing.

volleyjanice

Camino(s) past & future
08/2013 St. Jean Pied de Port-Belorado, 08/2015 Burgos- Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia, 08/18 Portugese
Those two cities beginning with a "V" have been on my bucket list for a long time...lucky you!
I hope you get to put checks next to them soon. We are a little closer to Illinois than than Santiago de Compostela!

volleyjanice

Camino(s) past & future
08/2013 St. Jean Pied de Port-Belorado, 08/2015 Burgos- Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia, 08/18 Portugese
Also late to the party...I was born and grew up in a small town in NE Ohio. Our family moved to Pasadena, California where I spent my teenage and young adult years (groovy!), married and moved to Canada and have lived in Edmonton Alberta, Fredericton New Brunswick, Paris France for one year, and now Waterloo Ontario for the past 36 years. I loved living in every one of those places - each with its own unique culture.
Wow, you've been a few places! How wonderful to appreciate the unique nature of each.

Hansel

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances and Fisterre (2018,08) ,Camino Primitivo, and Fisterre,(2019,04)
I know there was a surge of USA pilgrims on the camino after the movie "The Way" came out. There are many Canadians walking too, and I've wondered what draws them. Possibly the same movie?
Many folks are drawn by their Catholic faith, but for many of us it's from learning of the pilgrimages to Santiago from a certain popular book in our countries or the movie.
Hi,Chrissy,I spoke with somone else from the Emerald Isle and he reckoned between the film and Quantas showing the film accounted for the amount of pilgrims from Australia and South Korea.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hi,Chrissy,I spoke with somone else from the Emerald Isle and he reckoned between the film and Quantas showing the film accounted for the amount of pilgrims from Australia and South Korea.
Interesting, Hansel...thanks for your reply!

Hansel

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances and Fisterre (2018,08) ,Camino Primitivo, and Fisterre,(2019,04)
I’m from Bonnie Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Hi Jon I'm from Bonnie Scotland too, haven't done the poll though.
Along with Mary Doll , I'm from Ayrshire,
Though reading this thread I'm not really from Ayrshire, just spent my adult life here.
When are you off on your Camino ?

Bill

Sansthing

Camino(s) past & future
French Camino (2009), French Camino (2011), Via de la Plata (2012), Camino Inglês (2014),
Born in England, living in Brazil.

Iriebabel

Iriebabel & the cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
I am from my mother
I am from my father
I am of and from the Earth
I have lived previously in Japan and Portugal
I have travelled the world and visited many countries including Norway and Sweden many times
I am from the land of Reggae music, delicious foods, beautiful beaches, blue mountains and warm people
I am one out of many people from the beautiful Island of Jamaica,West Indies.
I now live in sunny Florida USA
E24AB012-E7A6-4A85-9ABA-0C48F84C33B0.jpeg

Nekodemus

Certified insane
Camino(s) past & future
Been there, done that. Keep coming back.
Most likely addicted.
Well, I'm Danish, of good old Viking stock, at least 50 generations back, with traces from the old Danish colonies and enclaves, you know, places like England and such ;)

Lynn C O'Hara

Mainelynn
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2016) Norte, Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre/Muxia (2016)
I would love to visit Maine! Have you had a chance to walk any of the Appalachian trail? I'd love to one day, or the PCT, I can dream!😊
Yes, I have section hiked the AT! It was much harder than the Caminos, but it didn’t give me the sense of peace that I found in the Caminos. Still, the secret lakes and flora and fauna that I was able to witness in all its glory because the hiking was so difficult and it is so remote is one of life’s greatest gifts!
I’m actually considering the Trans Canada Trail, tho I doubt I’d ever finish it!
I lived in Colorado for nine years and hiked the “fourteeners,” the 14000 fr peaks, and that’s what got me started on my long walks in the dirt!!
I hope you get to live your dream!
And Maine is an absolutely beautiful state to see!

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021"
I chose North America

I was born in Odessa, what is now Ukraine (yes home to the famous steps immortalized in "The Battleship Potemkin")
odessa.jpg

Been living in US in Philadelphia PA (The City of Brotherly Love and the Cradle of Revolution) and it suburbs since 1975.
ParkwaySkylineDay_M.Fischetti04-2200x1237vp.jpg

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021"
Western Europe. Belgium.
That smallish country at the North Sea that is quite famous for some decent beers.
And Waffles, Chocolate and one totally cool Abba song! (My, my...) ;)

djmytym

Camino(s) past & future
My plan is after Retirement, which is in February of 2020, I plan on walking in Sept of 21
Just curious.

I am from Sweden, live in Norway since many years, but have also been living in Italy and the US. So my answer is northern Europe.
I am from Canada 🇨🇦, to be more specific. Manitoba. Winters are long and cold, and the summers are hot and humid. Pretty much describes all of Canada.

Wild Irish

Camino(s) past & future
Mixed Camino/ Francés with variants (July/Aug 2020)
Yes, I have section hiked the AT! It was much harder than the Caminos, but it didn’t give me the sense of peace that I found in the Caminos. Still, the secret lakes and flora and fauna that I was able to witness in all its glory because the hiking was so difficult and it is so remote is one of life’s greatest gifts!
I’m actually considering the Trans Canada Trail, tho I doubt I’d ever finish it!
I lived in Colorado for nine years and hiked the “fourteeners,” the 14000 fr peaks, and that’s what got me started on my long walks in the dirt!!
I hope you get to live your dream!
And Maine is an absolutely beautiful state to see!
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to reply! I can imagine the AT must be a serious challenge, fair play to you! 👍I've read a few books on people's hikes on the AT and the PCT and they do sound really tough, but amazing also and they mention the freedom they feel, as well as the mental challenges! I find it really interesting that you found more of a sense of peace on the caminos though ☺ I'm planning on taking a year out in a couple of years so the U.S. and hopefully Maine will definitely be on the cards. Thank you and best of luck with your future hikes Lynn! Sophia 🤗🤗

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way, 1999 West Highland Way, 2016 & 2019 SJPDP to Santiago, 2020 Porto to Santiago
I'm from a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains
Of ragged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains, oh and the large sections that burnt recently.

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
Born in the Netherlands, living in Spain :)

Trailhawk

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Camino Cebu. 175 Kms 10 days. 4x
Future: Camino del Norte + Camino Primitivo
I am from Cebu City, the Philippines. In Asia but more on the Pacific.

ps14.jpg

Jon_Mac999

Camino(s) past & future
Beginning next month
Hi Jon I'm from Bonnie Scotland too, haven't done the poll though.
Along with Mary Doll , I'm from Ayrshire,
Though reading this thread I'm not really from Ayrshire, just spent my adult life here.
When are you off on your Camino ?

Bill
Hi Bill,
My wife and I have walked from Sarria to Santiago and also SJPDP to Pamplona. We still have to fill in the middle section.
At the end of February my wife and I are walking the Via Francigena, from Viterbo to Rome.
When do you begin your Camino?
John

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Coming from green & fertile Denmark...
Warming has made our winters quite wet nowadays....no white views as yet this winter...

On good days this is my Camino stretch close to my home, not half bad....

Staveds Bro.jpg

Last edited:

JohnMcM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Some, and with luck, some more.
Very late to this little party.

I'm from the land where all gods should be born, where Princesses ride unicorns, where rainbow bridges take you home, where stars exist only to light your night, where flowers break through stones, where dreams are made in your waking hours, where nightmares don't belong, where a moment of beauty can last forever, where friendships last a life-time and where tomorrow always brings the promise of another beautiful tomorrow.

Harland2019

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April/May "2019"
When I asked my mother in my earlier years where I came from I was always told "Marks & Spencers - upstairs" - I was never allowed to go upstairs when we went there but I guess my answer now I am somewhat older is England!

Blintintin

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018)
Hello everyone! My name is Belinda and I was born, raised and still make my home in Toronto, Canada..a city that has grown up a lot and has come into it's own over time. Some photos for you here. My siblings and I are first generation Canadian, my parents immigrated from Europe in 1960. When meeting others when travelling, I am often assumed initially to be American (meaning USA)...and I have been corrected several times from some who grew up learning or who have the perspective we are American...which is true ..I just happen to be from the northern part of it. The second question generally is if I speak French.

Canada is a big beautiful country..but too big sometimes ...in Madrid once an aquaintence was astonished I didn't know the 'Legend of Oak Island' (2000 Km away)..I reminded her it's like her knowing what's happening in Moscow. When my uncle and Aunt from Spain visited Montreal for the 76 Olympics ..they invited us up for a coffee one evening not realizing it's a 6 hour drive!

It's all good! .....it's just interesting to realize how we all have our own understandings of other places in this world, formed for many different and valid reasons....for me it's one of the fascinating parts of travelling.
Screenshot_20200219-125846_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20200219-125928_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20200219-125945_Gallery.jpg

Turnstone

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2020)
I am from Germany.
Always thought this was Western Europe, but as there is an option for Central Europe I think this is it!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 53 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 297 24.3%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.0%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 351 28.8%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock