• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll Where do you come from?

Where do you come from?

• North America

Votes: 203 40.8%
  • South America

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Northern Europe

Votes: 45 9.0%
  • Eastern Europe

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Southern Europe

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Western Europe

Votes: 94 18.9%
  • Central Europe

Votes: 17 3.4%
  • Australia New Zealand

Votes: 83 16.7%
  • Asia

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Africa

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tricky question for some. Like you @Pelen I have moved around a bit.
So I answered based in where I live now.... ;)

I like how you broke up Europe into 7 'zones', and yet 'Asia' has just 1.
It's a big place 🤫

But given the comparatively narrow cross section of the Global community on here you're right I guess. Just teasing :)

Western Europe. Belgium.
That smallish country at the North Sea that is quite famous for some decent beers.
I live in the Flemish part but only five k. away from our Walloon friends.
And my town is closer to the Dutch border than to our capital Brussels.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A policeman wouldn't ask that, my mum would say when as a kid I was too inquisitive. I'm not going to say where but I like bikes and taking tourists on a tour of my City that will remain confidential 🤠

Just curious.

I am from Sweden, live in Norway since many years, but have also been living in Italy and the US. So my answer is northern Europe.
You seem to enjoy a good auld poll 🤠

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Head of the Yakima Valley in Washington State.
1579138182249.png

Mainly an agricultural area with a lot of apples, the majority of the world's hops (Germans and Czechs will tell you theirs are superior and I will not be undiplomatic and argue), wine grapes (Californians will argue theirs are superior and again I stand above the fray), juice grapes, mint (for oil) and hay.

Yes, there are wheat, barley, and potatoes in the mix but those just don't have 'romance' connected to them and so they are mentioned last.

B

Yes, there are wheat, barley, and potatoes in the mix but those just don't have 'romance' connected to them and so they are mentioned last.
What! You obviously havn't had a bowl of Irish Stew served in the pouring rain, under the light of the Celtic Moon 🤠

@Derrybiketours - Well, actually I HAVE had that very exact experience...with family...who share the same odd blend of Celtic & Gallic blood coursing in my veins.

I was the ONLY soul finding the romance in the moment and so I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that I was wrong-footed with the general population. ;)

I do appreciate your sensitivity. Sometime, we should endeavor to get a hangover together. :D

B

same odd blend of Celtic & Gallic blood coursing in my veins.

Your a vampire, oh my mistake its not garlic 😉
I do appreciate your sensitivity. Sometime, we should endeavor to get a hangover together. :D
I'm on dryanuary but liver free again in Feb, Mar, April....plus a true Irish Man doesn't get a hangover if you tend to keep drinking 🤠

What happened to Central America?

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tricky question for some. Like you @Pelen I have moved around a bit.
So I answered based in where I live now.... ;)

I like how you broke up Europe into 7 'zones', and yet 'Asia' has just 1.
It's a big place 🤫

But given the comparatively narrow cross section of the Global community on here you're right I guess. Just teasing :)
:D Yes, both Africa and Asia are big, but maybe not so many members here? It is just 10 options that's the problem.

Yes, was thinking of Antarctica as well, but did not prioritize that. ;) :D Greenland is North America. Central America has to choose between the continents North and South, mostly they are north. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

We have to ask the forum to open up for more answer alternatives. 😄

Last edited:
Just curious.

I am from Sweden, live in Norway since many years, but have also been living in Italy and the US. So my answer is northern Europe.

Miki Goldie
Gold Coast City, Queensland, Australia

Attachments

• IMG20191116152216.jpg
    IMG20191116152216.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
We have to ask the forum to open up for more answer alternatives. 😄
Or only offer 3 possibilities:
1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Rest of the world

There's nothing wrong with putting Norway first: lovely country, lovely people! Had the privilige of visiting Norway. Once when the sun didn't set and once when the sun didn't rise. The second time got to spend time in the middle of winter in Alex Walker's lovely city of Tromsø. A very special experience, although I can't imagine how it is living there permanently.

;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am focusing of geography in this case.
@Roland49 has a point. Central Europe is geographically undefined. Even Europe is geographically not clearly defined as to her Eastern or even Southeastern borders.

And is everybody on the same page as to whether the UK and Ireland are part of Western Europe or Northern Europe?

And the result so far, with 58 votes casts, doesn’t surprise me: the majority (31 so far) is from USA-CAN-AUS-NZ.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remember asking my mother this, aged about 7, and receiving what she probably thought was an age-appropriate talk on the "facts of life."
"That's odd" I told her. "There's a new boy in class today, and he says he comes from Kilmarnock."

@Roland49 has a point. Central Europe is geographically undefined. Even Europe is geographically not clearly defined as to her Eastern or even Southeastern borders.

And is everybody on the same page as to whether the UK and Ireland are part of Western Europe or Northern Europe?

And the result so far, with 58 votes casts, doesn’t surprise me: the majority (31 so far) is from USA-CAN-AUS-NZ.
There's a certain type of Briton who will deny that Britain has ever been a part of Europe - hence the TIMES newspaper headline in the 1800s: "FOG IN THE ENGLISH CHANNEL, EUROPE CUT OFF."

While working at Rabanal a mixed group of young pilgrims checked in including a woman with jet black hair and startling, sapphire blue eyes.
"Would it be rude of me to ask where you're from?"
"I'm from Norway," she said in accentless English.
"Well thank you very much for the Christmas tree."
"You're welcome!"
Her friends looked very perplexed.
"It's a personal thing between Norway and England!"
And we left it at that.

Words. Our friends, and our downfall. I do like that one from Glenshiro, of the new avatar, about the facts of life talk. So often that is what happens. We reply to what we think we hear, not what is actually asked.
edit: I had fun, kind of, when teaching English as a second language. It is not easy to help people of other languages get the nuances involved in answering the question 'Where do you come from?' No matter where you have just come from, nor where did you come from this morning, where do you come from? has only one answer: the place of your birth. At least, to the best of my native English speaker knowledge, that is how I see it from my grasp of the English language. The older one becomes, the more doubts creep in though!

Last edited by a moderator:

€149,-
OK, THAT tree ☺. But before that, it was your foreign born and married-into-the family Royalty who gave you the Christmas tree. I used to think that it was Prince Albert but Wikipedia just informed me that it was Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So where am I from? A small (and troubled) blue planet.
Similar here. I usually roll my eyes inside me or sigh inside me if that's physically possible 😂 when I'm asked this question by total strangers. My village of birth, my region of birth, my province of birth, my country of birth, my country of residence, my province of residence, the country of close family members, none of this defines me on its own but all of it has contributed to who I am now, and half of the geographical names wouldn't mean a thing to the person who asks the question.

Last edited:
While working at Rabanal a mixed group of young pilgrims checked in including a woman with jet black hair and startling, sapphire blue eyes.
"Would it be rude of me to ask where you're from?"
"I'm from Norway," she said in accentless English.
"Well thank you very much for the Christmas tree."
"You're welcome!"
Her friends looked very perplexed.
And we left it at that.
It is an annual present from us to the UK as a "Thank you" for your help during WWII

Also from Norway, from the north, living in Deatnu/Tana which is a big salmon river as well as the name of my community.

Attachments

• 83D00C7C-B536-45A8-9557-B32C4A03B0E8.jpeg
    83D00C7C-B536-45A8-9557-B32C4A03B0E8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
It is an annual present from us to the UK as a "Thank you" for your help during WWII
Shush! It's much admired and appreciated but now everybody will want one!
I told a gullible friend it was reparations for looting and pillaging carried out by your Viking ancestors and she believed me.

I think you've opened a can of worms here, D!
What about Greenland? ...and, and, and.😀
Haha, don't blame the Irishman living in North-western Europe (Until the 1st February) then living in hope it was the Central American below who provided the can opener🤠
What happened to Central America?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That gal must have been born and raised in northern Illinois...we speak accentless English. 😂
You can't fool me - I've been to Northern Illinois (took a friend on the Great Lakes tour - 5 lakes/5 days),what you speak in is the Inland Northern or Great Lakes dialect which is a lot more pleasant on the ear than the name suggests ;)

You can't fool me - I've been to Northern Illinois (took a friend on the Great Lakes tour - 5 lakes/5 days),what you speak in is the Inland Northern or Great Lakes dialect which is a lot more pleasant on the ear than the name suggests ;)
No one can fool you, Jeff...only you can fool the gullible, of which I am often one.😄
Yes, our dialect is pleasant on the ear...or am I being gullible.

No matter where you have just come from, nor where did you come from this morning, where do you come from? has only one answer: the place of your birth.
My Mother's belly or was it the stork but my Father would say from the glint in his eye 🤠

Love this thread, it's fun ...and nice to know where people are from when they post
When we're on the Camino, it's probably the first question ....well one of many anyway as I'm Irish and a bit nosey!!......that I ask other people.
Makes for more interesting conversations if people want to chat...or not

Ok then.....I’ll participate!
Born and raised in Holland
Then Sydney, NSW Australia.....
ended up settling close to Calgary AB, Canada (for the last 22 years)
Minus 42 Windchill this morning......
Where did I go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

€149,-
Your a vampire, oh my mistake its not garlic 😉

I'm on dryanuary but liver free again in Feb, Mar, April....plus a true Irish Man doesn't get a hangover if you tend to keep drinking 🤠
At this point, I think we may assume you are from the Emerald Isle....but, we’ll just keep it a secret so as not to upset your mum

I put Northern Europe as i'm in NW Scotland but I swithered a lot between Western Europe or Northern. It definitely feels Northern at the moment!

Last edited:
Interesting how the world's second smallest continent has been divided into 5 parts, while each of the others seem to be considered homogeneous.

The poll was posted by the OP and the location choices were entered by her.
The “Poll Template” only allows for 10 choices which are all filled.
i think perhaps it may have been surprising that there are so many members from outside of Europe.

It may be surprising to some that Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, etc. are all in North America. The dividing line is between Panama and Columbia.

That gal must have been born and raised in northern Illinois...we speak accentless English. 😂
Your's wasn't bad but I heard a bit of mid-west. Nothing as strong as in the movie Fargo but a tiny bit. I probably should have faked a Boston or Maine accent for you when we met but instead you got to hear real accentless English. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The poll was posted by the OP and the location choices were entered by her.
The “Poll Template” only allows for 10 choices which are all filled.
i think perhaps it may have been surprising that there are so many members from outside of Europe.

It may be surprising to some that Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, etc. are all in North America. The dividing line is between Panama and Columbia.
Yes, I realized that this was a very Euro-centric poll. 😊

At this point, I think we may assume you are from the Emerald Isle....but, we’ll just keep it a secret so as not to upset your mum
Was it the bit I suggested 'keep drinking' that gave it away 🤠

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:cool:
When I am asked where I am from, I reply:
"South Africa"
I often get the response:
"WOW! Whereabouts?"
Do they mean - where in AFRICA? - or which town in SOUTH Africa?
So I reply:
"Have you heard of Cape Town?"
"YES!"
"Well, about 1,000 miles away from there."
"Oh, wow!"
:cool:

Your's wasn't bad but I heard a bit of mid-west. Nothing as strong as in the movie Fargo but a tiny bit. I probably should have faked a Boston or Maine accent for you when we met but instead you got to hear real accentless English. ;)
Rick, if you chose to put on a Boston accent, it wouldn't have been fake...it would be the "real you"!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back