• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where does the Camino Portugues officially start from?

Cesnouf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hey guys,
I Have 3 weeks and want to spend it on the Camino Portugues. Am brainstorming the most optimal route. Ideally I would have liked to walk from Lisbon - Finnis Terre but I don’t think 3 weeks is enough.
I like the idea from Porto - Finnis Terre. Can anyone tell me where the CP officially starts from??
Is it definitley more scenic to do the coastal variation?
I’m currently in Santiago de Compostela (I’ve just finished the Camino Frances!) and have not found a Camino Portugues guide in any of the shops (any suggestions?), so have little to rely on!
Thank you,
Claudia :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Officially your caminho starts where you intend to start. Mine starts as soon as I close the door of my home and go on the route.
But I understand what you mean.
Most peregrinos start in Porto. To Fisterre is doable in three weeks.
Others as I did before start in Lisboa. The so called CENTRAL route
The more adverture seekers-only a few- start nearby Coimbra and walk the INTERIOR route to Chaves and Ourense to connect on the Via de la plata route to Santiago. Far away from the coast
The crowd you will find from Tui on the CENTRAL route in the west of the country. The last one hundred kms. Most Spaniards start there.
Bom camnho

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I Have 3 weeks and want to spend it on the Camino Portugues. Am brainstorming the most optimal route. Ideally I would have liked to walk from Lisbon - Finnis Terre but I don’t think 3 weeks is enough.
I like the idea from Porto - Finnis Terre. Can anyone tell me where the CP officially starts from??
Is it definitley more scenic to do the coastal variation?
I’m currently in Santiago de Compostela (I’ve just finished the Camino Frances!) and have not found a Camino Portugues guide in any of the shops (any suggestions?), so have little to rely on!
Thank you,
Claudia :)
Download the app trail smart they have the Portuguese routes. They also have the amenities listed etc... Very helpful

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3 weeks could be tight if you want to walk the whole way from Lisbon. I took me 10 days to get from Santarem (3 walking days from Lisbon) to Porto and 9 from Porto to Santiago - both on the central way. Mind you the stages from Lisbon to Coimbra are scenic but very long, 30-35km every day, there are albergues there but the choice is limited and slightly more expensive then Porto to Santiago. After Coimbra the distances between towns are shorter but there is a lot of road walking, has a suburban feel to it in many places, plenty of fences. Faced with some aggressive dogs there as well. Be warned about the cobblestones and limited infrastructure on some stretches, especially before Coimbra. If you decide to walk between Lisbon and Porto my fav towns on the way were Santarem, Golega, Tomar, Coimbra, Agueda. I liked the way from Lisbon but I loved it more from Porto, it's easier from there, popular, you have more choice. You can walk to Vila do Conde on the first day from Porto, along the ocean and then decide if you want to continue there or join the central way. You'd have time to make the Spiritual variant after Pontevedra, along the coast later if you want.
I would not suggest you take the CPI - Central Portugues Interior from Viseu. I've been researching it lately and need to say that the path is falling into neglect and may not be much enjoyable to walk unless you want to make it completely solitary.
List of the albergues on the Portuguese Way: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

I walked from Lisbon to Santiago last year (634 km). IMHO three weeks is not enough unless you plan on walking 30 km + daily. Given the comments above, I recommend Albertinho's comments above to be the closest to reasonable.

I suggest starting in either Tomar or Coimbra and heading north. From Porto to Santiago (250 -260 km +/-), you can choose several routes, including one along the coast. I think there are three distinct routes that all start in Porto and end at Santiago. Last year, I stuck to the Central route that Albertinho suggests. This is about 250 km, and takes 10 days. But, if you want to proceed up the coast to Finisterre, then backwards to Santiago, it will be longer and take more time.

Whatever route you choose, you will have a great time. The Portuguese people are amazingly polite, friendly and generous. Many of them speak at least a little English (their prime time TV is dubbed).

Also, whatever route you choose make certain you obtain two or more sellos during the final 100 km enroute to Santiago. Before that, one sell / stamp per day is adequate to establish your line of march and pace.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I walked from Lisbon to Santiago last year (634 km). IMHO three weeks is not enough unless you plan on walking 30 km + daily. Given the comments above, I recommend Albertinho's comments above to be the closest to reasonable.

I suggest starting in either Tomar or Coimbra and heading north. From Porto to Santiago (250 -260 km +/-), you can choose several routes, including one along the coast. I think there are three distinct routes that all start in Porto and end at Santiago. Last year, I stuck to the Central route that Albertinho suggests. This is about 250 km, and takes 10 days. But, if you want to proceed up the coast to Finisterre, then backwards to Santiago, it will be longer and take more time.

Whatever route you choose, you wil have a great time. The portuguese people are amazingly polite, friendly and generous. Many of them speak at least a little English (their prime time TV is dubbed).

Also, whatever route you choose make certain you obtain two or more sellos during the final 100 km enroute to Santiago. Before that, one sell / stamp per day is adequate to establish your line of march and pace.

Hope this helps.
From Porto it is an easy 12 to 14 days and from Santiago to Fisterre an easy 4 days so 3 weeks is doable. Even time to drink a pint or two in Santiago

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No Camino has any "official" starting place, unless it's the front door of your home or the altar of your Parish church.

The Camino is unlike the US "thru-hike" trails.

You can also start from Cabo San Vincente right down south and walk on rota Vincentina before Lisbon but it will take more than 3 weeks

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back