• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where have all the bookmarks gone?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
When I try to access my bookmarks, there doesn't seem to be anything there. o_O
Is it only me? Or am I missing something?
(I clicked on my avaitar on the right side of the taskbar (above), and chose 'Bookmark list' from the pull-down menu. But what showed up were only headings, no actual bookmarks.)
Help! @ivar??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've never used them much but looked quickly for something the other day, and couldn't find them either. Then I forgot about it until seeing your post.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My old bookmarks is also gone.

Uh, oh. I don't like the sound of this...
Clearly it's not just a glitch that's happening only to me.
@ivar, are they gone gone, or are they recoverable?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just discovered, while posting a new bookmark, that all my old bookmarks are gone, including those which I saved recently, using the small bookmark icon. I knew that this might happen. I have now deleted what I intended to be a new bookmark, and have decided to cease to use this function, since I can no longer feel that it is reliable. Of course, there is an excellent chance that I have just been doing this wrong. Regardless, I thought that I might warn others.

What do you all mean by “bookmarks”? My list of watched threads is still there intact.......
There are three small icons at the top right of your screen where you are typing. On the right is a number: your post in #8; left of that is a small icon which looks like a flag: click on that and it will turn red and you will have saved that post with a bookmark. Go to the top right of the forum screen and click on your forum name and then on Bookmarks, directly below. A list of whatever posts you have bookmarked will appear. There have been some changes in this procedure in the forum software over time. I have been following this procedure for some time, but everything that I had saved before today is missing. I am not skilled in computer matters and cannot really give anyone any further information.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mmmmmm... you learn something new every day! I’ve always just watched threads but never booked marked specific posts! That’s a bummer if others’ bookmarks are gone!

I just discovered, while posting a new bookmark, that all my old bookmarks are gone, including those which I saved recently, using the small bookmark icon. I knew that this might happen. I have now deleted what I intended to be a new bookmark, and have decided to cease to use this function, since I can no longer feel that it is reliable. Of course, there is an excellent chance that I have just been doing this wrong. Regardless, I thought that I might warn others.
Hi, I have also checked our bookmarks and they are no longer there, in fact the heading Bookmark is not there at all!
But I have just rechecked our account details up on the rightside of the top bar of the forum website and in fact the heading Bookmarks is not where it used to be , it is now at the top to the right of Your Account and if you click on it the Bookmarks are all there!:) Hope you can understand this. I haven't looked at bookmarks for a wee while so don't know when this occured.

Hi, I have also checked our bookmarks and they are no longer there, in fact the heading Bookmark is not there at all!
But I have just rechecked our account details up on the rightside of the top bar of the forum website and in fact the heading Bookmarks is not where it used to be , it is now at the top to the right of Your Account and if you click on it the Bookmarks are all there!:) Hope you can understand this. I haven't looked at bookmarks for a wee while so don't know when this occured.
I also have the heading Bookmarks at the top to the right of Your Account, but if I click on it I get the message; "You have not added any bookmarks yet." I don't know what to do next to see if I can recover my forum bookmarks. Two lines above that there is a blue star icon. If I click on it, I get the message: "To get your bookmarks on all your devices, turn on sync." This appears to have something to do with managing my Google account, as I receive another message saying this if I click on another icon two positions to the right of the arrow. Google has recently been attempting to get me to pay for using it, judging from other messages which I received from it recently. Since I do not know whether the bookmarks referred to here are those of my forum account, I am very reluctant to respond to this message to "turn on sync." It feels like a trap. I have recently been quite busy avoiding attempts to trick me into signing into Facebook, so this does not feel to me like a message to which I should respond. Yes, I am paranoid. I cannot find any simple way to recover my bookmarks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also have the heading Bookmarks at the top to the right of Your Account, but if I click on it I get the message; "You have not added any bookmarks yet." I don't know what to do next to see if I can recover my forum bookmarks. Two lines above that there is a blue star icon. If I click on it, I get the message: "To get your bookmarks on all your devices, turn on sync." This appears to have something to do with managing my Google account, as I receive another message saying this if I click on another icon two positions to the right of the arrow. Google has recently been attempting to get me to pay for using it, judging from other messages which I received from it recently. Since I do not know whether the bookmarks referred to here are those of my forum account, I am very reluctant to respond to this message to "turn on sync." It feels like a trap. I have recently been quite busy avoiding attempts to trick me into signing into Facebook, so this does not feel to me like a message to which I should respond. Yes, I am paranoid. I cannot find any simple way to recover my bookmarks.
Hi again, we only seem to have three bookmarks there, none before October, 2020. So maybe the previous ones are now lost. Maybe Ivar can help with this quandary?

I believe that a forum software upgrade deleted all existing bookmarks a few years ago, and since that time I haven’t bothered to bookmark anything.
You're probably right. I remember a message from Ivar at that time noting that past bookmarks would eventually disappear. I shall probably quit bookmarking as well, as it now seems pointless. Thanks for the reminder.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Let me see if I can add a bit of information. I have rarely used bookmarks here on the forum, but I did have a few, which are now gone. I have limited expertise in computers, but I'm not bad at knowing what I do/don't know! Here are my "findings", but anyone who sees that I'm wrong should speak up. We'll see if we can get some better guidance.

For starters, we seem to be mixing up forum bookmarks with browser (e.g. Chrome) bookmarks, also known as "Favorites" in Internet Explorer:
Two lines above that there is a blue star icon. If I click on it, I get the message: "To get your bookmarks on all your devices, turn on sync."
This is the bookmarking of Chrome - your internet browser - not the forum (which is why Google wants to sync them on your devices).

Everything above the blue band of the forum that starts with "2021 Camino Guides" on the left and goes to "Search" on the right, is a function of Chrome (not the forum). You should still have any of those bookmarks that you made, by clicking on those 3 vertical dots and selecting "bookmarks" from the list. The most recent ones will appear at the bottom of the list. You can also manage those bookmarks in various categories, but that's another lesson.

In the forum, it seems that you should use "Watch" to watch a thread, but "Bookmark" individual posts (using the little icon beside the post number, that looks remotely like a paper bookmark) to locate specific posts for future reference. You can then label (for convenient filtering, if you have a lot) and describe them. I just created a couple to test it.

[Edited to add: Using the forum bookmarks, if you want to bookmark a thread, just bookmark the first post in the thread. You can bookmark the thread AND also specific posts within it.]

So, forum bookmarks seem a bit risky. Maybe make use of your browser bookmarks to identify threads of interest. (The bookmarked URL takes you to a full thread on the forum, not to a post.) The advantage of the forum bookmarks is that it locates a specific post. If it is important, you could use both, with the browser bookmark in case the forum ones are lost, and you would be able to recreate them by scrolling through the bookmarked thread to find a post of interest.

Last edited:
To inform this investigation o_O 🕵️‍♀️, can anyone report that their forum bookmarks from the past are still intact? @Anne&Pat say that bookmarks before October are gone, but some more recent ones are OK.

Let me see if I can add a bit of information. I have rarely used bookmarks here on the forum, but I did have a few, which are now gone. I have limited expertise in computers, but I'm not bad at knowing what I do/don't know! Here are my "findings", but anyone who sees that I'm wrong should speak up. We'll see if we can get some better guidance.

For starters, we seem to be mixing up forum bookmarks with browser (e.g. Chrome) bookmarks, also known as "Favorites" in Internet Explorer:

This is the bookmarking of Chrome - your internet browser - not the forum (which is why Google wants to sync them on your devices).

Everything above the blue band of the forum that starts with "2021 Camino Guides" on the left and goes to "Search" on the right, is a function of Chrome (not the forum). You should still have any of those bookmarks that you made, by clicking on those 3 vertical dots and selecting "bookmarks" from the list. The most recent ones will appear at the bottom of the list. You can also manage those bookmarks in various categories, but that's another lesson.

In the forum, it seems that you should use "Watch" to watch a thread, but "Bookmark" individual posts (using the little icon beside the post number, that looks remotely like a paper bookmark) to locate specific posts for future reference. You can then label (for convenient filtering, if you have a lot) and describe them. I just created a couple to test it.

So, forum bookmarks seem a bit risky. Maybe make use of your browser bookmarks to identify threads of interest. (The bookmarked URL takes you to a full thread on the forum, not to a post.) The advantage of the forum bookmarks is that it locates a specific post. If it is important, you could use both, with the browser bookmark in case the forum ones are lost, and you would be able to recreate them by scrolling through the bookmarked thread to find a post of interest.
@C clearly
If I click on the three dots in Chrome and then on bookmarks I get a variety of items from my Windows screen, only a couple of which are Forum bookmarks. It seems to just be a jumble of things off my screen that I somehow saved, and only incidentally a couple of bookmarks. I suspect that I just muddle along online, and I cannot see how I could find a useful bookmark list, as I used to have on my forum app. My choice seems to be to either start again with forum bookmarks, which I know how to do, or to give up on the process entirely. I am currently leaning towards the latter. Thanks for looking into this for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I click on the three dots in Chrome and then on bookmarksI get a variety of items from my Windows screen, only a couple of which are Forum bookmarks. It seems to just be a jumble of things off my screen that I somehow saved, and only incidentally a couple of bookmarks.
It may be a jumble of things you have saved, but you have likely clicked on the star to save them as bookmarks or groups of bookmarks, whether you intended to or not. You can use the bookmarks manager to organize them better, but as I said, that's another lesson. Bookmarks are very useful for your internet use. Do you not use them at all?

To start, you could clean up your jumbled list by right-clicking on each and deleting, or editing the wording to make sense to you. Then in the future you can be more careful and deliberate in clicking on the star.

[Edited to add: If you want to bookmark a thread, just bookmark the first post in the thread.]

Thank you for investigating. Maybe when Ivar did the forum update earlier this year, the previous bookmarks disappeared?

Then in the future you can be more careful and deliberate in clicking on the star.
Well that's the thing. Until this evening, when I was trying to find out what all these little icons do, I do not recall ever deliberately clicking on the star symbol. Generally, I am largely computer illiterate, except for being able to use functions which I need regularly. That includes usual access to the forum and necessary apps and email, but very little else. Since my laptop died a while ago, I bought a new one and just try to go on using essential functions, but I never really know what I'm doing. Of necessity, I have got used to this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for investigating. Maybe when Ivar did the forum update earlier this year, the previous bookmarks disappeared?
I believe that a forum software upgrade deleted all existing bookmarks a few years ago, and since that time I haven’t bothered to bookmark anything.
Sorry, missed your post earlier Peregrina2000, they must have gone in the last forum update as well. Hadn't realised that it had happened before.

I have bookmarked threads in the past, but they disappeared with the forum upgrade.
I do currently have some bookmarked threads - the oldest one is from this past summer.

So that I don't lose the bookmarks again I have started a private folder on Pinterest called Camino forum bookmarks, and I will add new threads that I want to be sure to save there.

You could also use something like Google Keep or Evernote, or I imagine a number of other programs/apps to save your favorites.

[Edited to add: If you want to bookmark a thread, just bookmark the first post in the thread.]

Nicely done ✅

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To inform this investigation o_O 🕵️‍♀️, can anyone report that their forum bookmarks from the past are still intact? @Anne&Pat say that bookmarks before October are gone, but some more recent ones are OK.
My single, Forum bookmark is intact

That’s a bummer if others’ bookmarks are gone!
Not!? Again!??
But sadly, yes. Mine are gone too.

I use bookmarks a lot to mark posts in old threads that pertain to whatever planning I am doing. I do not want to follow these threads, I just want to be able to find them easily. So I had a bunch of posts and threads marked about various caminos, as well as several other threads that I refer to frequently. I have to say it is pretty disappointing find they have disappeared, again.
🤬 😢

Hola all,

4-5 years ago, we used a bookmarks plugin that I did uninstall a while back... built I gave warning about a year ago. This was the link "Bookmark" under each post.

The bookmark icon in the top right is the bookmark feature that is now incorporated in the forum software... and it should work. I have not disabled it or done any changes to it.. but the forum software does get security updates once in a while (about every 2-3 months) that I do run... so maybe something has happened in one of these updates? I am not sure but will investigate.

As an alternative, you might bookmark things in your browser as well... I know you can make folders in your browser bookmarks so maybe add a forum folder and add your forum bookmarks there in your own browser? Google it to find out how this is done in your browser.

Either way, I will do some digging on my end to see if these missing bookmarks is something that has happened to other forums.. and if there is a fix.

Sorry!
Ivar

€46,-
There are no bookmarks? (And you are sure you added them with the small "bookmark" icon top right on each post?
Thanks, Ivar, for looking into this. In my case I have only the most recent bookmarked posts and – all my old ones have gone.
RIP, 🔖 🔖 🔖

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Me again... just to make sure we are on the same page... if you click here:

There are no bookmarks? (And you are sure you added them with the small "bookmark" icon top right on each post?
I have only been on the forum for 20 months and only started using bookmarks recently. My solitary bookmark is where I expect to find it and is working as expected.

Given Ivar's comment I am happy to continue using the forum supported version of bookmarks. 👍

Thanks Ivar for investigating. We have used the forum bookmark system but there are only three bookmarks there now from October and November 2020, anything before that has gone.

Me again... just to make sure we are on the same page... if you click here:

Using that link, I am only seeing three of them, and they are looking quite different than they used to. I used to have a lot more, even after you changed the bookmarks feature. I know, because I recently (within the last few months) went through them all looking for posts I had bookmarked because they recommended places and I was adding those recommended places to a Google map. There were a lot. Something certainly seems to have changed with the bookmarks within the last six months.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I activated the old bookmarks plugin again... did that change anything for folks? Please let me know.
Nothing shows under "Bookmark list" from the first link (old bookmarks). But I haven't used them extensively, so can't be sure if I had any at that time. I did have, in the past year, some bookmarks that disappeared recently.

Second link shows the bookmarks I created in the past week.

I activated the old bookmarks plugin again... did that change anything for folks? Please let me know.

The old bookmarks can be found here:

The new Bookmarks can be found (I hope!) here:
Today I bookmarked a post using the little bookmark icon beside the post #. It uses the older system, without the choice of label, and I can only see it by using your links above to the old system.

Using the Bookmark tab beside my account details, I can see three bookmarks I created last week using the "new" system.

I wonder if anyone's old bookmarks were recovered when you re-activated the old link. The combination of old and new isn't working well! I'm quoting from David and VN below, to ask them if their old bookmarks have been recovered using that "old" link in Ivar's post.
In my case I have only the most recent bookmarked posts and – all my old ones have gone.

Something certainly seems to have changed

€46,-
Thank you , Ivar, but it looks like they vanished into the ether. I got the same result that @C clearly did:
Nothing shows under "Bookmark list" from the first link (old bookmarks). But I haven't used them extensively, so can't be sure if I had any at that time. I did have, in the past year, some bookmarks that disappeared recently.

Second link shows the bookmarks I created in the past week.
Here's a screenshot:
Screenshot_20201227-095158_Firefox.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Today I bookmarked a post using the little bookmark icon beside the post #. It uses the older system, without the choice of label, and I can only see it by using your links above to the old system.

Using the Bookmark tab beside my account details, I can see three bookmarks I created last week using the "new" system.

I wonder if anyone's old bookmarks were recovered when you re-activated the old link. The combination of old and new isn't working well! I'm quoting from David and VN below, to ask them if their old bookmarks have been recovered using that "old" link in Ivar's post.
When I follow the link I get an empty page with just a few of the "latest posts".

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.