• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where have all the witches gone?

Emily

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2005
I walked the Camino Frances 15 years ago and remember seeing lots of tourist and other items with witches on them as soon as I entered Galicia. Santiago in particular had lots of kitschy witches. I just walked the Camino Portugues and arrived to hardly a broomstick or witch in sight. What has happened to the witches?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are witches a thing in Portugal? They abound in O Cebreiro and again in Santiago, but Portugal? There is not a lot of commerce between Tui and Santiago, so it does not surprise me that witches are missing.

Last month I only recall seeing "witch" items in Finisterre. It stood out to me because I hadn't seen any before on the CF, but I could have just missed them. Finisterre though was memorable because of the quantity of items.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino Frances 15 years ago and remember seeing lots of tourist and other items with witches on them as soon as I entered Galicia. Santiago in particular had lots of kitschy witches. I just walked the Camino Portugues and arrived to hardly a broomstick or witch in sight. What has happened to the witches?
About 3 weeks ago I was in Lugo - there witches abound.

When I walked the Frances in 2011, I also noticed the presence of things "witchy" in Galicia. In 2015, there was a lot less. When I reached Santiago in 2011, I visited the Galician folk museum and asked about the witches. The receptionist told me Galicia has a long tradition of wirches. There are "braga" (not sure of spelling) and meiga. Meiga are good witches - more like knowledgeable healers using their herbal knowledge than like the wicked witch of the west. Then the receptionist told me she was a meiga from a family of meigas! I believed her. If you walk the Camino Ingles you walk through the "enchanted forest" and pass a flying witch on a broomstick!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oh, there ARE witches in Portugal.
:::whispering::: they just don't advertise. ;)

I agree
the more correct question should be "wat happened to the broomsticks?" ;)

View attachment 65818

that said...here is a link to one of Annie's posts from her blog:
The Witches of Logroño

LOL! I'd sort of forgotten about that blog post.
I remember now what inspired me to write about this.
A friend of a friend of a friend was wanting to walk the Camino so the friend's friend invited me for coffee to chat with the gal and help her a bit with her planning. She was convinced she was going to meet up with some Basque witches and celebrate Full Moon. In the end, it didn't work out as she planned. She left the Camino after one or two nights on the Camino, where her fellow pilgrims apparently laughed at her for snoring too loudly. Needless to say, the witches stayed hidden. :😁:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are "braga" (not sure of spelling) and meiga.
Spanish is bruja (pronounced Broo-HAH) and Galician is bruxa (Broo-ZHAH). I don't think I've ever heard of braga being a witch (in both languages it means panty or panties....)
But then...who knows what with local dialects

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Broo-Shah, Broo-Zhah… which is why I mentioned local dialects
kind of the same way some Germans say 'eeKH' and some - 'eeSH' for ich

But over-all we are on the same page; I can easily see how it was mistaken (if you will) for braga (may be some Rioja helped.... :)🍾🍷

Broo-Shah, Broo-Zhah… which is why I mentioned local dialects
kind of the same way some Germans say 'eeKH' and some - 'eeSH' for ich

But over-all we are on the same page; I can easily see how it was mistaken (if you will) for braga (may be some Rioja helped.... :)🍾🍷

In all Galicia the X of bruxa sounds SH, no matter the dialect.
I think that ZH would be the sound of Portuguese J,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last month I only recall seeing "witch" items in Finisterre. It stood out to me because I hadn't seen any before on the CF, but I could have just missed them. Finisterre though was memorable because of the quantity of items.
On my way!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
C77C54A4-8169-4428-97F2-6D1C489E323E.jpegACC9ACE7-49C5-46DC-B62A-8880062CF1E3.jpegD408D6DC-2CE4-4310-AE0D-63D847C705A3.jpegHard times for witches on Camino Ingles. The two first pictures from 2016, the last from 2017.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love the story I was told at the end of my first camino in 2003.
Like many, after the excitement of arriving at Santiago and receiving my compostela, I wandered into various stores, not willing to just sit and rest. One of the first stores I entered was full of what I thought of as "kitchen witches".
I asked a 30-something, young (to me) man if there was any significance to the overwhelming number of "brujas" hanging from the ceiling. He looked at me slowly and said in Spanish, "Well - you are perhaps aware that the people from Galicia are of Celtic origin". I nodded and he continued "The Celtic people have a tradition of having certain families of females who are healers. They are called "Meigas", not brujas, and that tradition has not been completely forgotten by us here in Galicia."
"However," he continued, "Of course we are now a very modern people and we don't go to Meigas, we go to doctors and hospitals when we are sick. As modern people, we want to forget all the strange old traditions and when we create these witches to look funny, it helps us to forget."
"But" he said, "When the doctors can't heal us, we know that the Meigas can, and we go to them for healing. It is in this situation, that our funny witch images help us to remember".

Was Galicia able to protect her Meigas from burning, during Isabella's inquisition?

I think that they have all gone to lunch in A'Coruna.

Attachments

• IMG_20180926_161341237_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180926_161341237_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Was Galicia able to protect her Meigas from burning, during Isabella's inquisition?

Meigas survived the inquisition but no the modern times.
The last meiga in the Galician area that I know died 50+ years ago.
She was an old woman who lived alone in an old house but I don´t know what she did and why she was considered a meiga, so I have my doubts about it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Spanish is bruja (pronounced Broo-HAH) and Galician is bruxa (Broo-ZHAH). I don't think I've ever heard of braga being a witch (in both languages it means panty or panties....)
But then...who knows what with local dialects
Thank you. As I said, not sure of my spelling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back