• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where in Bilbao - Donde en Bilbao

Didier Tibule

Time of past OR future Camino
Bilbao - Santiago de Compostela. 03-2018
Hola,

Quiero hacer el Camino del Norte en marzo. Desde Bilbao. Donde en Bilbao puedo coger el camino? Otra cosa; hay algun sitio donde puedo descargar cartas electronica de tipo Garmin?
Muchas Gracias.

Hi,

I wish to walk the Camino del Norte in March. Where in Bilbao can I catch with the path? Another thing; is there a internet site where I can download maps to be used on a Garmin GPS or usable with another device/app? Free is good too. :)

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you can find one of these three famous landmarks in Bilbao, you should have no problem finding the route.
1. Basilica de Nuestra Senyora de Begonya
2. The main Train Station, if you happened to arrive by train.
3. Museo Guggenheim along the river. - I remember walking under the giant spider outside the museum.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could start here for basic info: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/bilbao/portugalete

I can't help with GPS. Probably un-necessary on the Norte - just follow the Yellow Arrows or the pilgrim in front.

Or you could try a good friend of the Caminos - http://www.wisepilgrim.com/
I walked the Norte about 3 years ago and lost my way a few times with just the yellow arrows to follow so I always try to get a GPS track now. I think the wise pilgrim guides are excellent.

Where in Bilbao can I catch with the path?

Hi Didier, go to the Guggenheim.

Cross the next pedestrian bridge over the river, turn left and then follow the yellow arrows to Portugalete.

This is supposed to be the absolute worst part of the Norte.

I walked it on a Sunday and really liked it :confused:.

It was so quiet. Very run-down. Industrial riverside warehouses. The odd loiterer :eek:.

And so different from other parts of the Norte. I think you need to experience these parts of the camino to appreciate the beauty of the other parts.

And then, when you arrive in Portugalete, there is the most amazing crossing over the river. A camino highlight for me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.

Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be sure to visit "Puppy."
57f4102f34c570b6c74c57c3b20e1a7e--flowering-plants-bilbao.jpg

Much cuter than the spider.
bilbaos_guggenheim_09.jpg

Cross the next pedestrian bridge over the river, turn left and then follow the yellow arrows to Portugalete.

It was so quiet. Very run-down. Industrial riverside warehouses. The odd loiterer :eek:.

And so different from other parts of the Norte. I think you need to experience these parts of the camino to appreciate the beauty of the other parts.

And then, when you arrive in Portugalete, there is the most amazing crossing over the river. A camino highlight for me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.

Jill
So glad you did not give the game away!

Jill

Absolutely agree. It was a fantastic section. Make sure you take the route on the east bank.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola,

Quiero hacer el Camino del Norte en marzo. Desde Bilbao. Donde en Bilbao puedo coger el camino? Otra cosa; hay algun sitio donde puedo descargar cartas electronica de tipo Garmin?
Muchas Gracias.

Hi,

I wish to walk the Camino del Norte in March. Where in Bilbao can I catch with the path? Another thing; is there a internet site where I can download maps to be used on a Garmin GPS or usable with another device/app? Free is good too. :)

Thanks

There is a large bus station in Bilboa. You can store luggage there too. Determine where you want to start and there is a bus to take you to that destination. There charge is reasonable. There are also trains. I just got various apps on my iPhone and that was all I used. I did have an app 'El Norte' which was a great help for distances and Albergues. Buen camino. I loved camino del Norte.

I also used the Wise Pilgrim app. If you open the map when you have wifi - and don't close it - you can access it while walking.
I liked it because it showed me where I was (blue dot) and where the Camino was!

Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.