• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where in Porto do I get my certificate?

Domo

Hi,

Was hoping for some help please. Im doing the Camino Portugues on the first of September. So it's not long now, problem is Im living in Barcelona and only speak english, so in other words I can find a map for this camino one or any info on it..

First off do I go to the cathedral in Porto to get my certificate?? Whats it's name so I can check it out on google maps, thinking there could be more then one, but probably not.

Secondly where do I get a map of this walk?? It sounds great and unfortunately I only have 3 weeks to walk it, which suits me fine to do this walk and of course see Portugal too(a dream of mine).. Any help would be very much appreciated guys..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Domo,

The British Confraternity of St. James (a camino association) has online guides to the Camino Portugues, check them out here: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Since this is a volunteer organization, they ask for an online donation to keep things up and running.

You will be able to get a credencial in the Cathedral (Se in Portuguese) and yes there is only one. It's also where the route starts if you're leaving from Porto, you'll see yellow arrows right outside the cathedral (the blue ones pointing in the other direction are for the path to Fatima).

As far as maps, if you don't want a commercial guide (e.g., the one by John Brierley), try the websites at mundicamino.com (there's an English option) or the Eroski guide, http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

Bom caminho, Laurie

thank you so much for all your help, actually after I had written this I decided to get john's book, it sounds very informative and exactly what I need, thanks again..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Domo,

i had a very nice experience. do not panic. i spoke not a word of portuguese, as i arrived at the bus station in Porto. i only knew i need to get to the cathedral, but i arrived around 5 a.m. so nobody was on the street, i had no map, nothing. i started just walking, in the hope of meeting a person on the street. and a car stopped, asking me if i am lost, because it seems so, and if they could help me. so they drove me to the cathedral, gave their phone number if i need something. after they left, they came back for me saying that it would be safer to wait at the train station... till daylight...
so that was my first camino experience, but there were others, many many signs of attention :)
do not worry, actually i met a guy, in the Cathedral, who told me he wants to do this route without any map. i thought at that moment, he is iresponsable... :) but i ended up walking just guided by the signs, which you can trust, as the route is very well marked and guided by the local people who were very very friendly and nice and helpful with me!!!! i did not think that pilgrims are given such a welcome!!!
about time you have plenty of it: from Porto to Santiago i walked in 8 days... on the coastal route. i am 29, lady, programmer, so i mostly sit in front of a computer, even if i like sports. so i was not fit, and 8 days were enough. (if you are an ocean or see lover - go on the coastal route. i was speechless when i saw the ocean, a cab driver did not tell me why to choose that route, or he did but in portuguese :) and i didn't know that i would walk on the shore!!!! it was magnificent!!! Vila do Conde, Viana do Castelo....Caminha...Valenca...)

You can download a guide that is available in Spanish or Portuguese. I used this one. Even if you do not speak either language, the maps will be helpful. http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/ to give you a general idea of distances, etc. The Portuguese route on the Portuguese side is very well marked--it seems there are arrows every 10 meters, when you get it to Spain it is less well marked but it is still pretty good.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back