• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where in the forum I could find some philosophical / existential crisis threads?

kalliti

Time of past OR future Camino
Part of Via de la Plata; and continuing in March 2016
I'm trying to find threads / discussions / thoughts about more philosophical issues or such - at least I'm not able to find any sub-forum title for these... - I'll (re-)start my walk in a month, and a week ago my 'regular, normal' camino changed into totally something else: doctors found an aneurysm in my brain, and since it's not so large (yet, at least), it's now totally my decision if to choose an operation or not. It's kind of a 50-50 case when the risks are considered. I'm wondering if my camino would help me with the thinking and valuating the priorities in one's life, if others have found the walking good for any existential crisis - anything... - or should I consider not to travel at all... - any this kind of philosophical discussion could maybe give me some new ideas or perspectives...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My beloved mother in law has lived with an aneurysm in her brain for 20 + years. They check it regularly and she is just fine. She travels a LOT - from the US to Europe mostly - but also to Alaska...every year. And she is 76. Still, I can imagine that would be scary for anyone.
Talk to your doctors. If they say it is OK then GOGOGO. Because of course the Camino would give you some perspective and allow you to reevaluate your priorities.

While actually walking, I walked alone in a relaxed manner. There was plenty of time and inspiration for reflection, and I enjoyed the richness of my time on the Camino.

Although not specifically about the Camino, you might enjoy these two items. One comes from the WSJ (The Walker and the Saint) and the other comes from the NYT (Walking the Land As a Spiritual Quest).

Attachments

• The Walker and the Saint - WSJ.pdf
    186.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Walking the Land As a Spiritual Quest - The New York Times.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 37
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Chacharm and REV, thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for, this helps me so much!

I promise if you choose to continue your Camino you will meet many Pilgrims with serious medical issues...and I met many Pilgrim cancer patients and cancer survivors like myself...also I promise that if you go with a question that you will return with an answer...but really you already know your answer but the Camino removes the distractions of everyday life which helps you to meditate and find your answer...my mother is Soumi too...Jumala teitä siunatkoon.

Last edited:
Kiitos Kurt - thank you Kurt! I especially liked this crystallization: the Camino removes the distractions of everyday life. I've always missed a short expression when trying to answer the question why do you like to do all those walking trips. That's exactly why - too see more clearly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your doctors clear you to go. I would go.

Whilst not facing any major health crisis, I walked the Camino to 'clear my head'. Far too many years on the treadmill of my career. A total lack of direction, clarity and priorities. Bit of a mid life crisis I guess. My second I think ;)

I needed time to think......

My head cleared, I pondered and reflected. And I found the clarity I was looking for. Not just that, but a sense of real peace and contentment.

Walking for hour upon hour, mainly on my own (usually by choice) was an amazing experience. The Rhythm of your walk can become like the 'drum beat' of some kind of meditation. I couldn't wait to start my 'Rhythm' every day.....

I often say to people who ask me what it was like..........

Imagine walking for 8 to 10 hours a day (I walked slow), amongst amazing countryside, with just your thoughts. Day after day after day.......... :)

Everyone is different of course, but the 'stages' of my Camino, were just as many describe here. Which is described in various ways as....

Phase 1. Coping with the physical and building a routine. (5-6 days for me)
Phase 2. Being really comfortable in the routine and enjoying the journey. (another 5-7 days or so)
Phase 3. Where the 'magic' happens. Physically and emotionally you are into the Rhythm, and those questions going around in your head......start colliding with answers. Or maybe... even....better questions!

So IMHO....it might be just what you need right now ;)

Thank you Robo! 'Rhythm' is a great word for that stage, or feeling - I've sometimes tried to describe it as 'flow', or 'meditative flow' or such. Your description of Phases was a good remainder for me. I try to train the physical side as much as I can beforehand, but it's so good to remember to keep in mind that it takes some time to reach that Rhythm phase!

I'm trying to find threads / discussions / thoughts about more philosophical issues or such - at least I'm not able to find any sub-forum title for these... - I'll (re-)start my walk in a month, and a week ago my 'regular, normal' camino changed into totally something else: doctors found an aneurysm in my brain, and since it's not so large (yet, at least), it's now totally my decision if to choose an operation or not. It's kind of a 50-50 case when the risks are considered. I'm wondering if my camino would help me with the thinking and valuating the priorities in one's life, if others have found the walking good for any existential crisis - anything... - or should I consider not to travel at all... - any this kind of philosophical discussion could maybe give me some new ideas or perspectives...
Just for the moment, leave the question of head/brain to one side and do what your heart tells you. I have always said to my daughters and my friends, when I was setting out on a Camino, "If I don't make it back I'll have died happy, and doing what I love."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sir John, that might be a really good advice, since my head is like bursting now with all the thinking and decision-making. My heart and intuition say you better go... especially now, it really is the time to do all the things in my life I've planned and dreamed of, and not to wait for 'a better time'...

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back