• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is a good place for a rest week?

tangata hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Pamploma (April/May 2014)
VDLP March 2019 Sanabres April 2019
Finisterre/Muxia April 2019
Currently on the Sanabres having walked from Seville but have developed a problem with my right foot that is sadly not improving quickly I think the best course of action is to take a week out and rest - I'm not under a lot of time pressure so I can come back to the route if it resolves after rest.

I can get a bus to Puebla de Sanabria (currently in Mombuey) and a train from there to somewhere for a week's rest. Am interested in suggestions of where I might go? Probably keener on a town/city with the possibility of good food and some sights and perhaps the opportunity to buy a book to read in English.

What say you seasoned Spanish/Portuguese travellers? Can I get to somewhere like Vigo perhaps and would that be an interesting place to stop for a week? Any other suggestions? I'm not a good tourist, prefer moving to being in one place but don't have the choice to walk easily at the moment.

Megg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What say you seasoned Spanish/Portuguese travellers? Can I get to somewhere like Vigo perhaps and would that be an interesting place to stop for a week? Any other suggestions? I'm not a good tourist, prefer moving to being in one place but don't have the choice to walk easily at the moment.

Megg
In cities near the coast I prefer A Coruña or Pontevedra.
But, If you like the Vigo area I would stay better in Moaña, at the other side of the ria, which is communicated with Vigo by ferry.

Hi tangato hikoi - try to find somewhere with a medical facility - red cross, doctor, clinic, hospital, to check your foot and rest. I've only ever received excellent medical attention on Camino- twice, to do with my feet. It helped me to carry on. I also received letters from the doctors to take with me, requesting that I be allowed to stay for an extra day or two at any Alberque I may visit - especially municipal, if I needed to. I did so, and an extra rest day along the Way always helped.
Good luck, take care. Best regards
Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi tangato hikoi - try to find somewhere with a medical facility - red cross, doctor, clinic, hospital, to check your foot and rest. I've only ever received excellent medical attention on Camino- twice, to do with my feet. It helped me to carry on. I also received letters from the doctors to take with me, requesting that I be allowed to stay for an extra day or two at any Alberque I may visit - especially municipal, if I needed to. I did so, and an extra rest day along the Way always helped.
Good luck, take care. Best regards
Keith
Thanks Keith, good advice and appreciated
Megg

Currently on the Sanabres having walked from Seville but have developed a problem with my right foot that is sadly not improving quickly I think the best course of action is to take a week out and rest - I'm not under a lot of time pressure so I can come back to the route if it resolves after rest.

I can get a bus to Puebla de Sanabria (currently in Mombuey) and a train from there to somewhere for a week's rest. Am interested in suggestions of where I might go? Probably keener on a town/city with the possibility of good food and some sights and perhaps the opportunity to buy a book to read in English.

Megg
We spent a few days in Vigo after our 2016 Camino. It had the facilities you require but was rather underwhelming. The highlight was a day trip out to the islands, but that involves a lot of walking so not great for you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We spent a few days in Vigo after our 2016 Camino. It had the facilities you require but was rather underwhelming. The highlight was a day trip out to the islands, but that involves a lot of walking so not great for you.
Thanks Carol

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are some small islands off the coast of Portugal near Biaona and Vigo accessible by ferrry. Look up Illas Cies. I don't know whether they operate this time of year but there is camping and lodging, beaches and short hiking trails.

Hi Megg,
So sorry to hear this but glad you can spend a week enjoying yourself. I can’t see from my phone what other Caminos you have walked but Leon is a beautiful city with bookstores with books in English and loys of good food. You can change there to a train north about another 110 kms and go to Oviedo. IMO it’s one of if not the prettiest small Spanish city. Very genteel. It’s where the Primitivo starts and the Salvador from Leon ends. It has very good food and some beautiful parks. Nice cathedral and a nice museum.

I haven’t spent a lot of time in Vigo but for some reason I think nuala was there recently and liked it. The island of Cies off the coast of Vigo looks lovely but not if you’re not up to a lot of walking.

Sending lots of healing thoughts! Laurie.

Take care

Thanks everyone. I think the 'crisis' is averted and the rest I've had and realisation that the causation of my foot pain is as simple as my shoe being too tight means I can go on and not take a rest week...very much hoping so.
Really appreciate all these ideas and may try to go to some of them in any case and without the need to be forced to rest
Megg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back