• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is the ALSA bus at MAD T-4?

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
While I have done five Caminos previously, I find that each experience is different. This time, I am traveling to the starting point for my 2018 Camino using a different method. So, this engenders new considerations.

I have a question that someone out there may have an answer for. This Wednesday morning, I arrive at Madrid Barajas, Terminal 4, on American Airlines. My Camino starts at Ponferrada, and I already have a ticket for the ALSA bus that departs from Terminal 4 at Barajas International Airport (MAD)

Here is the question: Where, in front of the exit from the Customs hall at Terminal 4, is the ALSA bus to be found? Specificity is better than, "out front..." o_O

My plane is scheduled to land at 08:20, and the bus departure is at 10:00. So, there is no time to waste. I would like to know where to go directly from baggage claim and the Customs exit.

Thanks in advance for the assist.:cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This article from 2011 is still up to date and has a map and photos. Once you've located the ALSA desk inside the terminal (see map and photo below), walk past it, through the exit door, then cross the first road (taxi lane) and there you are (see map below). The ALSA buses pull into bus stops 1, 2, 3, or 4 (see map below), or sometimes they just stop along the bus lane next to these 4 bus stops. Check the screen at the ALSA desk for your number. The drivers have a list of passengers and call out their destination to waiting passengers to make sure that everyone boards.

PLANO-T4.jpg

barajas.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While I have done five Caminos previously, I find that each experience is different. This time, I am traveling to the starting point for my 2018 Camino using a different method. So, this engenders new considerations.

I have a question that someone out there may have an answer for. This Wednesday morning, I arrive at Madrid Barajas, Terminal 4, on American Airlines. My Camino starts at Ponferrada, and I already have a ticket for the ALSA bus that departs from Terminal 4 at Barajas International Airport (MAD)

Here is the question: Where, in front of the exit from the Customs hall at Terminal 4, is the ALSA bus to be found? Specificity is better than, "out front..." o_O

My plane is scheduled to land at 08:20, and the bus departure is at 10:00. So, there is no time to waste. I would like to know where to go directly from baggage claim and the Customs exit.

I’ll be there the day before you. Sorry we missed each other. I’ll give you an update.
I also have a tight connection.

Terminal 4 is very well organised and easy to navigate. You should have more than enough time to make your bus, assuming of course your flight is on time.

Buen (bus-catching) Camino

Thanks for the input. I am hoping for a tailwind. Flying from west to east, this normally occurs. Fingers crossed...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can also buy your ticket online to save some time and stress on arrival. I've done this in the past and it's been great!

Our plane arrives at 8:35 in Madrid where can I go to get bus tickets to SJPDP on line

I'm not sure that there's a direct line to SJPdP. I've only ever gone to Burgos and Leon from Madrid Airport.. Try the ALSA website. They might be able to give you information on connections. When going to SJPdP I've only flown into Biarritz..
Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Our plane arrives at 8:35 in Madrid where can I go to get bus tickets to SJPDP on line

@Thriftydrifter
In the fall of 2015 I took an Alsa bus from MAD terminal 4 to Pamplona, changing in Soria. From Soria on, there was a sign in the front window of the bus indicating that the bus was going on to St Jean pied de Port. I got off in Pamplona. I understand that that bus on to St Jean is seasonal, during the busier pilgrim season only, so whether it would be available to you depends on when you are going. Check the Alsa website at alsa.com/en/web/bus/home . There are currently tickets available from Madrid airport to Pamplona but when I entered "St Jean pied de port" as the destination and the date as May 30, it was rejected as an invalid destination. This may indicate that the summer schedule is not yet posted and it will appear later on. Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh boy! Im so lost. Was under the understanding could just get off plane go to T4 catch abus to SJPdP. Looking at ALSA and get the gist that I have to go from Madrid to Pamplona. When I try to enter info it charges me for 4 people. Is there abus to Bayonne? I see people are sharing shuttle from there

Ok! Two old people trying to figure this out. How do we get to train to Pamplona
Trains from Madrid to Pamplona depart from Puerta de Atocha, a modern glass and steel terminal located on the south-eastern side of the city center. The station has a Metro stop, Renfe-Atocha, which offers connections between the airport and train station on Line 1. There are also taxis by the station exits and next to the arrivals terminal. My choice was a taxi because my connection time was close. By the way, I was 65 when I walked my first Camino - proud to be among the ranks of "old people" :)

I stayed at the Jesus y Maria Albergue near the Cathedral and took the bus to SJPdP (from the main bus station) the next day. I got my Spanish phone in Pamplona and had time to look around a bit before starting my walk. Buen Camino!

These forums are a great place to find info on just about everything - the search box is blessing :)
Andrea

Last edited:
There are buses directly from the Madrid airport to both SJPP and Pamplona.
IF you have to change buses, it is easy and the driver will help you.
The bus is literally right outside the T4 door.
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2013/12/getting-from-madrid-to-pamplona-and.html

You can purchase your ticket directly from the bus driver.

What day do you arrive?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok! Two old people trying to figure this out. How do we get to train to Pamplona

You do not need to take a train. There are several buses leaving directly from Terminal 4 in Madrid to Pamplona. Check both the ALSA and the CONDA websites for times and to purchase tickets. If you DO decide to take a train (I like the bus better) then you can catch the train from the airport to Atocha Station. But although the train trip APPEARS to be shorter, by the time you get to the Atocha station, blah blah, you may as well just walk out of the Terminal 4 airport and onto a bus to Pamplona. See the above blog I posted for instructions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trains from Madrid to Pamplona depart from Puerta de Atocha, a modern glass and steel terminal located on the south-eastern side of the city center. The station has a Metro stop, Renfe-Atocha, which offers connections between the airport and train station on Line 1. There are also taxis by the station exits and next to the arrivals terminal. My choice was a taxi because my connection time was close. By the way, I was 65 when I walked my first Camino - proud to be among the ranks of "old people" :)

I stayed at the Jesus y Maria Albergue near the Cathedral and took the bus to SJPdP (from the main bus station) the next day. I got my Spanish phone in Pamplona and had time to look around a bit before starting my walk. Buen Camino!

These forums are a great place to find info on just about everything - the search box is blessing :)
Andrea
I love it to! Just a reference to let people know I can’t Run as fast as I use to

You can also buy your ticket online to save some time and stress on arrival. I've done this in the past and it's been great!

I just checked the website for Madrid Barajas International Airport. According to this link (using a laptop), there is a kiosk / device for buying ALSA tickets in the public area opposite the exit from the Customs Hall and baggage reclaim:

http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/long-distance-coaches.html

If you then click on the underlined link for Terminal 4, Level 0, this is what you should get:

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=EN_GB&ca=MAD&pagename=cartografia&poi=1237572721296&ps=t

FYI - the above website and links appear different if you use a smartphone or tablet based browser.

It shows the locations of both the ALSA ticket office / kiosk, AND apparently the proximate location of the bus stall / lane. Both appear to be in the center of the lower level of Terminal 4, Arrivals, outside the Customs Hall, and outside the building proper, likely at the second cirb / island.

I saw this AFTER I posted the query in the Forum...my bad. But, I am still interested in hearing from anyone who has direct, first-person experience. After all, this is Spain, and one should only believe what they see for themselves. Thanks.

Moreover, "Kater1na" (above) nailed it with her contribution to this thread. THANK YOU.

Hope this all helps other, beyond me. I think it should go into a resources area for permanent use...moderators?

This article from 2011 is still up to date and has a map and photos. Once you've located the ALSA desk inside the terminal (see map and photo below), walk past it, through the exit door, then cross the first road (taxi lane) and there you are (see map below). The ALSA buses pull into bus stops 1, 2, 3, or 4 (see map below), or sometimes they just stop along the bus lane next to these 4 bus stops. Check the screen at the ALSA desk for your number. The drivers have a list of passengers and call out their destination to waiting passengers to make sure that everyone boards.

PLANO-T4.jpg

barajas.png

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This helps a LOT.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I confirm @Anniesantiago s advice that there is a bus directly from T4 to Pamplona, and at Pamplona, you change buses to SJPDP.

The schedule for Conda and ALSA shows buses leaving T4 for Pamplona on 12 April at 1:15 (am) arrives Pamplona at 6:30, 10:45 (am) arrives Pamplona at 15:35, 15:15 arrives Pamplona at 20:15, 19:45 arrives Pamplona at 1:00 (am).

ALSA buses leave Pamplona bus station for St Jean Pied de Port at 14:30 and 17:30. There is also another company which might have a better connection but I don't have the link.

@Thriftydrifter if you decide on a train to Pamplona, the Cercanias (overground suburban train) has a station right at T4 and it is a fast and effective way of getting to Atocha station - only one stop. I find it easier than the metro and more reliable than a taxi because traffic is not an issue. You can buy a ticket at the Renfe office at T4 for your journey to Pamplona that includes the Cercanias fare to Atocha, but there is often a queue, so I prefer to buy my Pamplona train ticket in advance and use the ticket machines for the short hop from the airport to Atocha.

Last edited:
Also, once you're in the Madrid airport, there are folks all over the place wearing bright green vests and jackets. They are Customer Service people and they will be happy to help you find your bus!download.jpeg

I confirm @Anniesantiago s advice that there is a bus directly from T4 to Pamplona, and at Pamplona, you change buses to SJPDP.

The schedule for Conda and ALSA shows buses leaving T4 for Pamplona on 12 April at 1:15 (am) arrives Pamplona at 6:30, 10:45 (am) arrives Pamplona at 15:35, 15:15 arrives Pamplona at 20:15, 19:45 arrives Pamplona at 1:00 (am).

ALSA buses leave Pamplona bus station for St Jean Pied de Port at 14:30 and 17:30. There is also another company which might have a better connection but I don't have the link.

@Thriftydrifter if you decide on a train to Pamplona, the Cercanias (overground suburban train) has a station right at T4 and it is a fast and effective way of getting to Atocha station - only one stop. I find it easier than the metro and more reliable than a taxi because traffic is not an issue. You can buy a ticket at the Renfe office at T4 for your journey to Pamplona that includes the Cercanias fare to Atocha, but there is often a queue, so I prefer to buy my Pamplona train ticket in advance and use the ticket machines for the short hop from the airport to Atocha.
Thank you so much

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Andrea
I am actually surprised my search box isn’t smoking, I have gotten so much wonderful information from this forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that your question about exactly where the ALSA bus leaves Terminal 4....but in case there is still a bit of uncertainly....The buses park and leave from the far left corner of the terminal as you face the street.
There is also an ALSA ticket kiosk there. The kiosk often has a line...so if you are time constrained it is best to just go to the bus and pay the driver (and hope for a less than full bus).
The Kiosk also has a problem of closing for agent lunch, Bano break and other typical Spanish reasons. It does not seem to matter if there are several buses outside ready to leave and you need a ticket.
Be Brave....and calm...everything will eventually work out. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just did this this morning. ALSA kiosk doesn’t open until 0900. I already had a ticket.
The buses are straight out the terminal, once you leave the secure area.

To close the loop here, I arrived 50 minutes earlier than scheduled on 11 April (serious jet stream tailwind)... The entry process from hatch to the exit from the controlled (Customs) area took less than 30 minutes, including bag reclaim.

Once in the public area on the arrivals level (0) of Terminal 4, if you walk straight, towards the exit to the street, you can see the ALSA service counter about 30 meters to your left, at about the 10 o’clock position. This staffed counter is just inside the glass walls of the terminal. You really cannot miss it.

The four ALSA bus docks are outside almost exactly behind the counter. The bus docks are numbered left to right, from 1 to whatever. But, ALSA is assigned spaces 1 - 4.

Over the ALSA counter there are electronic boards showing upcoming arrivals (on the left board) and departures on the right side.

Thank you again to everyone. You all were a BIG help. Everything went ‘easy peasy.’

Hope this helps.

For those whose flight does not arrive at Terminal 4. (I almost always land at Terminal 1 as I arrive from a connecting flight from another EU city)

You will have to get to Terminal 4 via the free Terminal shuttle. Take the shuttle to T4. The shuttle will drop you off at the opposite end of T4 from the ALSA kiosk/departure area.
Walk to the other end...the outside wall will be on your right.
the description of @t2andreo and others will take it from there.

There is a problem of anyone being able to estimate the time it will take to get to the ALSA area.
If you are landing at T4 you probably are on an International direct flight and will have to clear customs. Tom advises he was able to get through in 30 minutes..but I would not count on that as a norm.

If you are arriving on a connecting flight from another EU city you may very well land at T1 and will have to take shuttle. Both situations can be a similar time condition.
Carry on packs with nothing checked can speed things up in both cases as there will be no waiting for luggage.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I certainly intend to try. Where are you these days?
Naples, enjoying the early arrival of summer sans any afternoon rains which is a pity because it is extremely dry. It is going to be a bad fire season with all the debris left by Irma.

Just did this this morning. ALSA kiosk doesn’t open until 0900. I already had a ticket.

This is good to know. I arrive Monday at 6:30 am and was planning to buy my ticket at the kiosk. I'll probably just book online now and be done with it.

So much helpful information in this thread. Thanks to all who contributed!

I feel your pain about the drought in FL. Our lawn is going brown, despite having sprinklers. The recirculated runoff water used for irrigation is running low too.

No problem. In another six weeks, hurricane season starts again...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is good to know. I arrive Monday at 6:30 am and was planning to buy my ticket at the kiosk. I'll probably just book online now and be done with it.

So much helpful information in this thread. Thanks to all who contributed!

If the kiosk is not open, you can purchase tickets directly from the driver.

Oops. I meant to respond to this post. If the kiosk is not open yet, you can purchase tickets directly from the driver.

I feel your pain about the drought in FL. Our lawn is going brown, despite having sprinklers. The recirculated runoff water used for irrigation is running low too.

No problem. In another six weeks, hurricane season starts again...
Don't you just love the way one problem in Florida is solved by a another problem. My spin instructor this morning asked how many seasons do we have in Florida? My response was two; fire season and hurricane season. Of course she wanted the answer of 4 seasons so she could get the class to sing the James Taylor hit, Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall....I will be there for you, dah, dah, dah.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What kind of class are you taking, Don??
Grayland, it is spinning aerobics. Stationary bikes with variable gear settings and an instructor that forces the class of 40 over hill climbs and high speed races. Very good for leg strength and the cardiovascular system. Unlike Tom scoffs, there are riders between the ages of 20 and 70; oops, 72 that me in a few weeks time!

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back