A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Where is the photo gallery?

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances; Via Podensis; Via Francigena; Via Portugues; Via Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg.
I can't find the photo section :cry: in the new layout of this forum (new to me - I have been absent for some time).

Can anyone point me to the right place, please?

Regards

Bob M

Advertisment

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
The album is the one thing that I have not gotten to yet. All the photos are saved, so nothing is lost, but I have not yet decided how to do the album from now on. Right now I am considering two alternatives:

1) Should we do it on a Flickr Group (easier for me, but does not look that good)
2) Should I create a Coppermine album (looks better, but more work and will need more maintenance)

Anyone have an opinion/idea?

Un saludo,
Ivar

Hi Ivar.

I'm just putting my camino pictures up on a Picasa Web Album. I like the way it's coming together so far. I'm not sure how or if Picasa would blend with the Santiago-Today site. There is also Shutterfly, and probably some others. I don't know how they compare for features and ease of use.

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances; Via Podensis; Via Francigena; Via Portugues; Via Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg.
Hi Ivar

I would definitely look at Google offerings like Picassa. They are all tightly integrated and very user friendly.

I am a relative novice at this stuff, but it took me ony a couple of hours to set up Albums in Picassa, resize pics in Photoshop, create a blog and upload everything to Google. You can also then link easily to Google Maps and blogs etc etc. I think the ability to link easily to maps is important for a forum like this. I was first encouraged to try after seeing an excellent Google map by Jerome74.

Have a look at my draft effort at: http://bob-m-blog.blogspot.com

It's far from perfect, but shows what anyone can easily do using Google apps (BTW I hope Google read this and give me heaps of money for the free plug. Plugs are out of place on a forum like this, so apologies to anyone who might be offended by my advocacy!)

Regards

Bob M

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Ivar

I forgot a couple of things in my earlier post.

Picassa can resize pics (although only to one of 2 sizes) for the web, and also do basic corrections so you don't really need Photoshop or a similar app. Also, Picassa allows you to upload batches of pics, not just one by one. The dedicated photo sites like Flickr probably have the same (or better) functionality, but I have not checked.

It's slightly off-topic, but why not consider wiki technology as well in a future site upgrade? Most of us will know about Wikipedia, but that is only one (altho the most well-known) application of wikis.

Wikis shine for collaborative work over the internet. For example, if you wanted to develop a camino guide, or checklists - whatever, a wiki would greatly assist users of this forum to contribute; and produce high-quality output. Wikipedia is very credible now, despite being produced by amateurs. Some companies are now starting to use wikis on projects and other tasks requiring internal collaboration.

Advertisment

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Anniesantiago Announcements 5
ivar Announcements 5
Tigerandahalf Announcements 10
keithrevenge Announcements 8
Ulysse Announcements 31

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%