• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is the road walking?

travelingdina

Hi there,

I've read and see that there is/may be a lot of road walking, or walking near the new highway. One of the reasons I was originally interested in the VdlP was that it seemed more "nature" and less people. I was planning to start in June from Salamanca, and head via Astorga to the Camino Frances, so I would have a little experience on both caminos.

But, I live in a city and really don't want to be walking next to a highway for a long time.

Can someone tell me where the majority of the highway walking is?

Is there another way to join up with the Frances at some point?

Thank you!

-Dina-

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dina - you should try to get hold of John Brierley's guide to the VdLP. In his Camino Frances guide he gives the mileage for Path/Track, quiet road and main road for each day.
For instance, from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles the book says:

Path/Track --- 12.1
Quiet Road ---- 12.7
Main Road --- 00.0
Total distance: 24.8km

I haven't seen the VdLP guide but It's almost certain to have the same information.

From Salamanca to Cubo de terra del Vino (spelling might be off!) there is a new highway construction but last year I walked in the still-excavated highway without problem. I dont recall any bad road experiences mainly because there are new highways being built in Spain which has taken the bulk of traffic off the secondary roads.My main point in responding is to encourage you not to join the CF-from Zamora onwards the VDLP has some very beautiful and spectacular scenery. I would suggest you complete the VDLP then do the CF another time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with Omar - I´d no problem with road walking on the VDLP - and any there is is more than compensated for on other parts of the route. I donñt think JBrierly has a guide to the VDLP.

Oops!! You are quite right Johnnie - there is no Brierley guide for the VdLP.
My apologies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just returned from VdlP, Zamora - Ourense. Have walked from Sevilla earlier years. I thuoght this time that it was a very nice walk from where the Sanabrian route leaves the route to Astorga (in Granja de Moreruela, two days walk north of Zamora) and to Ourense. Consider this alternative. have I read somewhere on this forum that the routh north to Astorga quarrel with the motorway?

It sounds like the Orense route is the way to go... I really wanted to experience a little of the CF, but I tend to get intimidated around crowds of people, so I'm thinking I'll just continue on the VdP.

Now, to decide where to start! ;)

Thanks for all the advice!

hello silver
does anybodt have an update on how much of the route is tarmac, vs paths?
like many, I'm agonizing over the chouce of routes
I'm attracted by the solitude of the silver, but would like to avoid the company of big trucks
what advice

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back