• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is the steep and lengthen rocky (pebbles) descent?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, Alto de Perdon. However, I think pebbles would be a bit of an understatement, many of these 'pebbles' are the size of a baseball the last two times I descended..
Agreed, more what I'd call "scree". Don't wander off-piste, every bush conceals a little surprise!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen people have problems with the approach to Zubiri, too.

The last few kms descent into Zubiri can be treacherous as it is covered in loose sharp pieces of black flat stone. I saw about 5 people cut to pieces - legs and arms - trying to get to Zubiri. Either they had no poles or didn't know how to use them well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a mos impressive tumble on the steep descent down into El Acebo - required some expert patching up at the owner of the first CR/Albergue on the left :oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is some pretty wild scree coming down from Atapuerca before Burgos as well. And the route I took last time into Portomarin was steep and rocky, though I don't recall it being so the first time I went. And on my second arrival into Leon, the path had changed a bit and the descent was very steep, full of switchbacks and lots of scree.

The descents out of both Alto del Perdon & the Cruz de Ferro nearly did me in. I watched wide-eyed with raised brows as cyclists whooshed past me leaving Alto del Perdon, bouncing out of sight down the trail. Couldn't have done it without poles. Or ibuprofen. Or vino blanco. Or swearing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There was a long and steep down hill which path was covered with pebbles, may be around Pamplona, but not sure.

Is this steep rocky (pebbles) descent near Alto del Perdon?

Thanks for any pointers.
Going down to Zubiri

The descents out of both Alto del Perdon & the Cruz de Ferro nearly did me in. I watched wide-eyed with raised brows as cyclists whooshed past me leaving Alto del Perdon, bouncing out of sight down the trail. Couldn't have done it without poles. Or ibuprofen. Or vino blanco. Or swearing.
The descent after Cruz de Ferro was really tough. The heat wave last month didn't help either. I finished the day with a good amount of Arnica cream, paracetamol...and sangria!

From Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo, choose the road just aside when it gets a bit stony on the path, slowly down the hill to El Acébo. There ´s where I learnt on my first camino in 2005 that the first aid things should not be in the bottom of my backpack. An old grandma having a shop there in those days, helped me when I came in ghere bleeding a lot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had not been accustomed to walking with poles, but was glad I bought one in SJPP. All the aforementioned descents were occasions for extreme caution on my part. I took my time and got down without injury, thanking God each time for my safe arrival.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is vital not to be distracted on any of these rocky descents. AVOID the temptation to admire the scenery or indeed to become too engrossed in conversation with fellow pilgrims. Take it slowly, concentrate on your feet and you should be fine. Finally when I walked the frances in 2013 people were advised to take the slightly longer but less demanding descent to Roncevalles that veers to the right along (mostly) tarmac road; this would be essential in wet weather.

There was a long and steep down hill which path was covered with pebbles, may be around Pamplona, but not sure.

Thanks for any pointers.
It is vital not to be distracted on any of these rocky descents. AVOID the temptation to admire the scenery or indeed to become too engrossed in conversation with fellow pilgrims. Take it slowly, concentrate on your feet and you should be fine. Finally when I walked the frances in 2013 people were advised to take the slightly longer but less demanding descent to Roncevalles that veers to the right along (mostly) tarmac road; this would be essential in wet weather.

Thanks for any pointers.

Attachments

• IMG_20190919_133806.jpg
    IMG_20190919_133806.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 86
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are several steep and rocky descents. Zubiri, Alto de Perdon and Cruz de Ferro all come to mind., but all doable if you take your time and exercise caution.
Hmm, I almost ran down the slope into Zubiri, in the rain, passing many people along the way. I saw a few who had fallen and attributed their injuries to too much caution and trying to keep their shoes dry. Mine were already wet, so I purposely stepped where the water flowed fastest.

Similarly, I was surprised that people were complaining about the descent from Alto de Perdon. I danced down that section.

By the time I got to Cruz de Ferro and the descent down the other side I was quite ill from my Legionella (without realising) and I stepped carefully and slowly and had heaps of problems until I decided to take the road instead.

I suspect that some of my good balance on the first two descents was due to having dosed up on Vitamin B12 before I left home. As I have aged my body's ability to accumulate B12 from my food has diminished and if I don't take supplements my B12 levels drop below the normal range.

Clever me, wasn't so clever when I got home though as I forgot to restart my supplements and I slipped and fell three times on a local tramp (hike, for non-Kiwis) and tore muscles and a tendon in my shoulder! ☹️

Clearly I was safer, walking on the Camino.

Thanks for any pointers.
I thought the descent into Zubiri was dangerous. Coming down from Alto de Pedron was wicked but 2nd to Zubiri.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks for any pointers.

Hi @dfox !! As they say there are2-3 steepy descents...but for me the most difficult one was from Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo...and from there to Molinaseca. I took my time because i planned it in 2 etapas. So could take my time to take pictures of the beautiful scenery, rest, drink water, and enjoy each step of it.
have a wonderful Camino.
BUEN CAMINO TO ALL !!

Thanks for any pointers.
I think I know the path you mean.

Beginning descent from the Pyrenees down into Roncesvalles, there are three choices, the road on the extreme left, the main path, directly in front with a sign pointing down to Roncesvalles and then the longer but less difficult path on the far right. Near the top of the descent, there is a section of the path that has thousands of rocks sticking up out of the soil. It is a most difficult section if your legs are still rubbery from walking up the other side of the mountains the previous day. By the time you get to Roncesvalles, the legs will be sore on the fronts and the backs.

This is the way I took in Aug /16 so I have experienced traversing this difficult section. If I do it again, I will take the path to the far right. It starts out paved, I believe.

I had the impression that the original question was about trying to identify a specific rocky descent as opposed to wanting to know about them all; perhaps to locate where he/she had taken a picture or had a fall.

He speaks in past tense.

I've seen people have problems with the approach to Zubiri, too.
Don' ask me how long it took to get to the bridge from Alto d'Ero. The worse descent on the whole Camino, imo.

Last edited:
Agreed, more what I'd call "scree". Don't wander off-piste, every bush conceals a little surprise!
But isn't there a road off to the right?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

€60,-
The Roman road after Cirauqui is very difficult in my opinion. No loose stones though. But all downhill. That's looking back on it.

IMG_0979.jpg

The one the snack van comes up? Yes, you can walk below the ridge line/wind generators and come out onto the Calle Camino de Santiago:

View attachment 66067

towards Puenta but I've no personal knowledge of how busy that highway is.
Didn't know there was a snack van! Was there mid-October last year and only saw three other pilgrims. I understand now that is quite uncommon.

Didn't know there was a snack van! Was there mid-October last year and only saw three other pilgrims. I understand now that is quite uncommon.
Probably seasonal but I haven't been there since Aug '16. Everytime I've been there it's been difficult to get a photo of the sculpture - too many pilgrims!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Agree entirely with slope down to Zubiri there last week had forgotten how dangerous it can be particuarly in the rain .
Path very worn sharp pebbles v slippy

Wow, this thread's bringing back memories! I went into my Camino well aware of the major climbs, but pretty clueless about the big descents. Reading this, I can remember every one mentioned. I can't imagine getting through them without hiking poles.

The first I remember is the one from the summit down through the beech forest to Roncesvalles.
The alternative road route is just as beautiful and much much easier on the knees!

The second is the descent into Zubiri. In wet weather it can be treacherous. I know of no alternative.

The Roman road after Ciraqui is not easy, but you can turn to the right just before the climb into the village and take the road. MUCH easier and a pleasant walk.

The rocky path down Perdon causes some people alarm. I've never found it difficult. You just need to watch where you put your feet.

The trail down into Acebo is a little scary, as is the trail into Molinaseca. The road is easier.

I'd say at least a walking stick would make any of these safer.

Oh yes, all these mentioned bring up memories (mostly good now that they are over!) One of the worst descents my husband and I remember is down from El Brusco, a little past Santona on the Norte. My forum photo to the left was taken on the ascent. That was fun. The descent was quite a challenge for me.

For me it was definitely coming down off Cruz de Terra all the way into Molinesca.
I rode my Moutain bike with panniers on the entire walking route .. this stretch into Molinesca was very technical and strenuous.
Seal on my front fort suspension took a hammering

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first I remember is the one from the summit down through the beech forest to Roncesvalles.
The alternative road route is just as beautiful and much much easier on the knees!

The second is the descent into Zubiri. In wet weather it can be treacherous. I know of no alternative.

The Roman road after Ciraqui is not easy, but you can turn to the right just before the climb into the village and take the road. MUCH easier and a pleasant walk.

The rocky path down Perdon causes some people alarm. I've never found it difficult. You just need to watch where you put your feet.

The trail down into Acebo is a little scary, as is the trail into Molinaseca. The road is easier.

I'd say at least a walking stick would make any of these safer.

Annie - Are the alternatives marked in the guidebooks?

There is some pretty wild scree coming down from Atapuerca before Burgos as well. And the route I took last time into Portomarin was steep and rocky, though I don't recall it being so the first time I went. And on my second arrival into Leon, the path had changed a bit and the descent was very steep, full of switchbacks and lots of scree.

There are two different routes into Portomarin. A short but steep one and a longer easier route. Turn left for the steep and continue straight on for the easy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, yes, there is a road, but it sounds as if locals use it for formula 1 practice, at least on the weekend.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back