• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is the train station in Somport?

psheehan

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, CPo, CdN, CPr, F, CS, CV, CI, VdlP, CS, CA
Hello,

I'm planning on walking the Camino Aragones in June this year, I have booked the train from Paris Montparnasse to Pau, then another train from Pau to Somport... and I will stay in Albergue Aysa in Somport.

Can somebody tell me where the train station is in Somport, how far is it from Albergue Aysa?

Thanks,

Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no train service from Pau through to Somport. The train line ends at Bedous and the journey continues by SNCF bus up to Somport and over the border to Canfranc. On some days the whole journey from Pau to Somport and Canfranc is by SNCF bus. Check your reservation carefully for the word "autocar" (bus) and "correspondance" (change train/bus) and also ask at Pau on the day to confirm the mode of transport.

The albergue is just on the Spanish side of the frontier. Probably 100m or less from the border.

Somport.jpg

Thanks Bradypus, I just checked my ticket and yes I see 'Autocar' from Bedous to Somport. That's ideal, so I can get off the bus at Somport pass.

Thanks for all help.

Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's ideal, so I can get off the bus at Somport pass.

Paul
The bus will go through the tunnel, stop at the train station, the head up to Somport.

There is not much in Somport!! You then walk back down to Canfranc. From there you can walk or take a train to Jaca (or train to Zaragoza if you are in a tourist frame of mind). There is more in Canfranc than Somport, but not a lot more.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the info... the railway station sounds very interesting.

Pepito Grillo Albergue in Canfranc is very popular. It is relatively short walk from Somport just past the abandoned station. The museum and guided tour around the train station is worthwhile but get it in English or you will be over your head.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just to add a plug for a visit to Canfranc Estación, about 12 (?) km down from Somport pass. Makes for a nice short day into Jaca the next day, and there's lots to see and do in Jaca. When LTfit and I walked the Aragonés, we decided to spend the night in Canfranc Estación in one of the two albergues.

We missed the tour of the train station, but were able to wander around behind the gates quite a bit. I would love to have taken the tour. We learned a bit of not so illustrious WWII history about the station, when it was the transfer point for a lot of stolen gold being sent out of Germany by the Nazis, and war materiel being sent back to Germany. All of this was unknown until one day when a French taxi driver was climbing around through the abandoned station and found a treasure trove of documents. There is a plaque in town that explains the history. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-camino-aragonés-june-2015.36782/#post-348729.

Thanks Laurie, that's a good idea about staying in Canfranc Estación instead of Somport and then a shorter/easier day into Jaca... I could walk down from Somport the first afternoon and stay in one of the refugios in Canfranc Estación.

The albergue is just on the Spanish side of the frontier. Probably 100m or less from the border.

Depends which one, actually -- there's a hotel/restaurant right on top of the pass (with semi-onerous pilgrim-type bunk-bed "hotel rooms"), at about 30-50 metres from the border, as well as other possibilities down in Canfranc Estacion or Canfranc proper. Food-wise, though I didn't actually eat such things myself due to very annoying cash difficulties, I'd unhesitatingly recommend the place up on the top at the border. Locals make the effort to drive up and eat there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I went through Somport from Bedous, the bus did NOT go through the tunnel, but over the top at the Somport border crossing. This was in 2011 so may have changed now. You can continue on by the same bus to Canfranc if you wish, but I wanted to walk from Somport to Santiago, so disembarked from the bus at the stop before Somport and walked the last couple of kilometres. I looked down at the tunnel on the right hand side of the bus.

Hello,

I'm planning on walking the Camino Aragones in June this year, I have booked the train from Paris Montparnasse to Pau, then another train from Pau to Somport... and I will stay in Albergue Aysa in Somport.

Can somebody tell me where the train station is in Somport, how far is it from Albergue Aysa?

Thanks,

Paul
Hi there. I walked the Aragones a few years back and really loved it. As you have read, it's by bus up to Somport. We arrived early, and headed down to Canfranc. Views were fantastic. There was an alberge up there. But as we came from Pau that morning, it wasn't necessary. I don't think I would have liked the walk up from Orolon, though!
Ironically, I went with a French mate whose father had worked on the train line to Canfranc many years ago. And my mate had also walked through part of the tunnel under the Pyrenees as he had worked for the SNCF.
As we weren't going to Santiago, we left the Aragones at Obanos and walked to Pamplona, meeting the onslaught of peregrinos on the Canimo Frances. After a couple of days of relaxing and sightseeing, we took a bus back to Jaca and then the train to Canfranc, as we were going back to Tarbes. It was a really good experience to look out over the countryside we had just walked through.
I don't know your itinerary but Izco was a particular favorite moment because we chatted with the lady running the hostel at the time. She had grown up there, moved away and then came back. It was sad listening to how the village had changed - from a healthy farming community to very little - though more people were moving back to the countryside around preferring to commute to Pamplona. But it made me realise how important it is to support the smaller hostels when possible.
Enjoy your Camino. It's a great walk. And don't miss Foz de Lumbier!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back