• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where is this bridge? Just a little fun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ha! It was a wild guess. I walked past there on a wild day and was disinclined to linger.

Here is an easy one. It's on two caminos simultaneously

Attachments

• (134).JPG
    (134).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okay I'll guess...though my bridge on the Ingles is still floating out there :)
I think it's the Boeza Bridge in Ponferrada on the Frances and the Invierno.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So Greg, it's your turn to puzzle us...
(And I never had to walk across whatever that is, and likely wouldn't try. What the heck. You can wash mud off... 🙃 )
OK- two for you VNwalking:
First
"a bridge of a similar name it seems
but of a later time and a different queen"
P1020850s.JPG

Second
I don't expect anyone to recall this one, it may even have dissappeared by now.
But thank you Robert, I found your bridge delightful.
P1020475s.JPG

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
Your first bridge is the
Puente La Reina de Jaca on the camino Argonese

That looks like it to me. Not the first bridge that Google shows but the main trafficed one. This upset me a bit as I crossed this bridge last year. Then I remembered that I approached the bridge at night and when I left in the morning the spans of the bridge were behind me. It's no wonder I didn't recognize the bridge.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@mspath solved one of Greg's...the other one...yes, well...good luck with that. It's in France is all I can tell.

While we wait for her to puzzle us further, we still have @Theatregal's Ingles bridge. What we know for sure is that it's before Hospital de Bruma where the two ways merge. And that it's at the beginning of town.

And @mspath, the name for the bridge in Ponferrada - do you know the story behind it? Mascaron means 'mask,' right? How very apt for these times.

Last edited:

While we wait for her to puzzle us further, we still have [USER=22852]@Theatregal
's Ingles bridge. What we know for sure is that it's before Hospital de Bruma where the two ways merge. And that it's at the beginning of town.

:) Clues so far:

-It is on the Ingles and there is a lovely resting place next to the bridge.
-Just before entering town, it is one of 3 remaining medieval bridges built as a public works project of 7 bridges by the Knight Fernán Pérez de Andrade in the 14th century.
-It is 2 or 3 stages after Ferrol

New Clue:
The bridge crosses a river of the same name and leads to the town market square and further on to the albergue located on the edge of an estuary.

puente.jpg

Is this the Ponte Baxoi a few km before Minho? - it was pissing with rain when I passed that way several years ago, so I didn't take a pic, and I carried on to Betanzos (lovely albergue, lovely town) rather than staying in Miño.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Is this the Ponte Baxoi a few km before Minho? - it was pissing with rain when I passed that way several years ago, so I didn't take a pic, and I carried on to Betanzos (lovely albergue, lovely town) rather than staying in Miño.

It is indeed!! I do believe that you are tagged for the next bridge @alansykes :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In a single stroke, I beleve Alan and Margaret have relieved us of the complication of having two bridges at play at the same time. But I will await official confirmation that Margaret is correct.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hahaha. Was I ever wrong. Well...it looks a little like it.

And how in the world did you cross the Duero 6 times? 🤔
Please don't answer that...we will have to dig a little. Edit. I get it. Not necessarily in one camino, right? I have to say, revisiting your threads is a real treat, @alansykes.

Last edited:
Alan
Is your bridge the Puente de Puente Duero?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
New clue: el Cid passed by here on his way into exile, and it's described as "una buena ciudad" in the Destierro (verse 17), but the bridge can't have been there then as

"de diestro Alilon [? Torremocha de Ayllón] las torres que moros les han,
Passo por Alcobiella [presumably Alcubilla del Marqués] que de Castiella fin es,
La Calçada de Quinea [no idea] iva la traspassar,
Sobre Navas de Palos [Navapalos] el Duero va pasar"

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, indeed.
I loved this footbridge at Puente Villarente right before Leon. That carretera must have been hair-raising before they built it, and you get a lovely view of the old bridge.

Last edited:
VNwalking,
In years past we pilgrims walked on a narrow medieval bridge at Villarente in frightening competition with on-coming contemporary lorry traffic. The traffic usually won!
Luckily in 2012/2013 this dedicated pedestrian-only bridge was added. What a relief it is to gently stroll along this elegant low wooden way without fearing being hit or run over!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's it, @Darby67 !
Geeze. I missed the bean company.Well. Now I know. 🤣
Yep, I’m that guy. Both times walking over that bridge I think fondly of the meals I’ve had and made with those beans. Then comes the “Footbridge of never ending Sadness”. The modern bridge over the new rail route with the 0.1% grade and endless switchbacks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@RENSHAW started this and we solved the riddle. So I'm going to keep it going with bridge No. 2. If you guess the bridge, it's your turn to post the next one...
Again, it's on the Camino Francés.
View attachment 81998
I have two photos of me standing about 10-15 metres to the left of where this photo was taken. Cheers

VNwalking,
In years past we pilgrims walked on a narrow medieval bridge at Villarente in frightening competition with on-coming contemporary lorry traffic. The traffic usually won!
Luckily in 2012/2013 this dedicated pedestrian-only bridge was added. What a relief it is to gently stroll along this elegant low wooden way without fearing being hit or run over!
Hola Margaret, I love this bridge - I have a photo of my wonderful "camino daughter" walking ahead of me. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well next time, I will notice!

The most hated bridge in Spain. 😂
So it's your turn to try and stump us.
Well I’ve searched through my photos and other than the well known bridges on the CF I have nothing so I will need to pass :(

Should a thread open for say, church steeples or maybe alters or some other fun pieces of “trivia” open then I can share a ton.

Should a thread open for say, church steeples or maybe alters or some other fun pieces
Go for it, Darby. You'd likely have lots of takers if you started one. (There was a similar thread a few years ago that went on for some time...)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ll revive the thread. I came across this photo that I took with my first digital camera in 1999. If you have come upon this Roman bridge, you were very lost. While in Rioja and crossing the Ebro, it is a bit off of the Camino as we know it today.

Attachments

• 1012F4B8-4D94-44C5-9AA6-26A690AED516.jpeg
    1012F4B8-4D94-44C5-9AA6-26A690AED516.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
It is now being restored by a local bodega.
I suppose you take a gift from whom it's offered, but this is an odd benefactor for a restoration. Good for them for supporting skillful and authentic (one hopes) restoration.
Buy their wine, everyone. :cool:

Edit. Well, perhaps there is no actual restoration happening, at least as yet. But in looking for more information, I found this very interesting paper About Roman roads in Rioja. There is obviously some dispute about this bridge being Roman.
/Roman_engineering_on_the_roads_to_Santiago_The_roads_of_the_Rioja

A slightly off topic aside, but what most interested me was to find out that the original Pilgrim route may in fact have gone from Najera to Briviesca, and from thence to Burgos. This latter section is the last part of the Via de Bayona, and indeed there are a number of well-preserved sections of Roman Road on the last stage into Burgos.

Also described here:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose you take a gift from whom it's offered, but this is an odd benefactor for a restoration. Good for them for supporting skillful and authentic (one hopes) restoration.
Buy their wine, everyone. :cool:

Whenever Darby67's photo is said to be "debouché" or "decorked" another entry awaits.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Primitivo. The route turns left onto this bridge at a many signed crossroads, in front of a house built into the rock of a hillside. This view is looking back after crossing the bridge.

Primitivo.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Theatregal,
Is this the Ponte Medieval sobre o Rio Este near Vila Conde at Touguinhó?
I realized later that it is not on the rio Este.

Howevrr it is the Ponte de São Gonçalo on the rio Tamega at Amarante? Sao Gonçalo built the bridge and sweets known as
" "Bolos de São Gonçalo" (associated as promoting fertileness and fruitfulness) are associated with Amarante"
For more on Sao Gonçalo see

Last edited:

€149,-
Theatregal,
Please see what I just added above to my earlier wrong answer!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those 'sort-of' pointed arches are an interesting intermediate between old and new. Of course I would love to know what the destroyed Roman bridge would have looked like (presuming that is what had been destroyed by Almanzor).

Another bridge - it was over 10 years ago - inexperience could have cost my companion and I our lives in the blizzard which was to follow?

Attachments

• aa snow2.jpg
    aa snow2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 24
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Renshaw,
Was that the blizzard of February 2006 or March 2010? In France or Spain? ..."Mais où sont les neiges d'antan? "

€149,-
Looking back towards the rear façades of Burguete buildings which aline north side of route N135 this photo depicts that walking bridge during warmer weather
You are both spot on - the drifts were were very deep and the blizzard was to follow soon after this photo - very dangerous - crossing a field , deeply ploughed - once under natural forest the drifts abated and we could walk without too much hindrance - at the next town we called for a Taxi.
EDIT: it was here where I realised that if one did not keep a cool head that we could have died - next time I will stick to the road even though I know the route.

This fun thread has been too quiet.... How 'bout this bridge? Shouldn't be all that difficult.

1602450803516.png

Last edited:
I'm guessing, but is it the bridge over the Rio Esla (just west of Mansilla)?

Here is an easy one - note the dodgy 10 storey seems to be leaning, anybody have any historical input as to what happened to it?111ab.jpg

Crossing the mighty Rio Ebro on the Puente de Piedra. Oddly, Googlemaps says it is now 'temporarily closed." What gves — does anyone know?

Wonderful phpto, @RENSHAW . That watertower(?) must have been pulled down?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201015-210714_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20201015-210714_Maps.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 22
Are those pimentos hanging off the balcony?
Just been on the net , the ornate doorway directly behind the fountain is still there!
And the trees believe it or not.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Crossing the mighty Rio Ebro on the Puente de Piedra. Oddly, Googlemaps says it is now 'temporarily closed." What gves — does anyone know?
I can hazard a guess , I seem to remember a tourism office right at the beginning of the bridge , that is probably what is temporarily closed?

This time rather than a bridge , a place?
While I don’t see any pimientos hanging I would assume they would be pimientos de piquillo which are all over southern Navarra. The buildings are tall enough to remove many villages. I’m saying Estella as it doesn’t remind me of Viana.

While I don’t see any pimientos hanging I would assume they would be pimientos de piquillo which are all over southern Navarra. The buildings are tall enough to remove many villages. I’m saying Estella as it doesn’t remind me of Viana.
Yes, it can be Fuente de los Chorros in Estella. I wouldn't say that Estella is southern Navarra.

Yes, it can be Fuente de los Chorros in Estella. I wouldn't say that Estella is southern Navarra.
Neither would I; only relative to where the Camino Frances travels through Navarra. I’ve seen pimientos de piquillo planted as far north as Puente la Reina. Lodosa and the some of the surrounding villages, closer to the Ebro, are part of the Denominación de Origen.

In looking at street view in Google, looks like the Plaza San Martín Enparantza, were as you say the Fuente de los Chorros resides.

Last edited:
Neither would I; only relative to where the Camino Frances travels through Navarra. I’ve seen pimientos de piquillo planted as far north as Puente la Reina. Lodosa and the some of the surrounding villages, closer to the Ebro, are part of the Denominación de Origen.

In looking at street view in Google, looks like the Plaza San Martín Enparantza, were as you say the Fuente de los Chorros resides.
I knew that the place was in Navarra because the two men on the photo are wearing traditional Navarro costume (txapela, scarf, black blouse) and also the Basque Navarro style of the building on the left. When you put Estella on your post I googled "Fuentes en Estella".
After determining it was Navarra I could have realized that it was not a village as you said, so I could have googled: "Fuentes en Pamplona, Puente la Reina, Estella"

€46,-
Confirm that this is on the Camino Frances? Then at first I would throw out Pamplona - was there a fountain at the market - I need to do more research although I do enjoy the challenge , its great!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And this market is in...?

View attachment 85330
This was a fun one; not so much on any Camino but the physical destination. The tower is part of the Igrexa de Santo Agostiño- Xesuítas, which would make this the Mercado de Abastos de Santiago. The marble fountain apparently no longer exists in this location as it was moved to the Alameda.

This was a fun one; not so much on any Camino but the physical destination. The tower is part of the Igrexa de Santo Agostiño- Xesuítas, which would make this the Mercado de Abastos de Santiago. The marble fountain apparently no longer exists in this location as it was moved to the Alameda.

Very good!!. The only "Galician feature" that I saw on the photo was the woman carrying on her head. The bell tower seems Mudejar, so I first thought it was the VDLP in southern Spain.

Last edited:
No takers on the bridge pictured in #176, above! Pity....

Perhaps this will arouse someone's curiosity: "Here Alfonso VI, running to escape some thieves, fell from his horse. He invoked the Cristo be Benaver (a 12th C image still found in the church of Palacios de Benever, 14 km to the northwest), and managed to save himself."

This fun thread has been too quiet.... How 'bout this bridge? Shouldn't be all that difficult.

No takers on the bridge pictured in #176, above! Pity....

Perhaps this will arouse someone's curiosity: "Here Alfonso VI, running to escape some thieves, fell from his horse. He invoked the Cristo be Benaver (a 12th C image still found in the church of Palacios de Benever, 14 km to the northwest), and managed to save himself."
Sorry, I’d meant to offer a guess at this a while ago. This looks like a bridge outside of Burgos on the way to Rabe but I remember a prominent cutwater. Perhaps it was on the other side if this is the same bridge.
Puente del Arzobispo over the Rio Arlanzón is my guess.

According to Google, Palacios de Benaver is a bit northwest. Thank you for the history tidbit!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back