• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where pilgrims share and learn.

Marc S.

Time of past OR future Camino
Some in Spain, Portugal, Germany and Netherlands
Okay, it might be I just have too much time on my hands. But this week I suddenly noticed the text on the frontpage of this forum, which says: Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn.

And I was pondering what this implies. Imho, a future pilgrim may also share, and a past pilgrim may also learn. Although the text does not exclude these possibilities, it also does not really seem to encourage them.

And then again. A past pilgrim may be a future pilgrim at the same time, so the text literally allows for a past pilgrim to learn, but not for a future pilgrim (who is not a past pilgrim at the same time) to share.

I know I am definitely overthinking this, but something doesn’t seem completely right here. ;)

I remember walking into Negreiro with some German pilgrims, looking for an albergue, and one of them said “We should listen to Marc, he is an experienced pilgrim”. What worried me, he seriously meant this. But luckily the others weren’t. So we ended up in the albergue where I did not want to go - I had never slept there but I had a bad meal there in the past. It turned out to be a wonderful place, with good showers and beds, and apparentlty a new cook.

Always liked the Zen concept of the beginner’s mind: "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."

So, what about ‘: “Where pilgrims learn and share” as an opening text for the forum ? Anyone with me on this ?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting thoughts Marc and I agree with your sentiments. The learning and sharing process works in many different ways.

I like the current header as it's a good reminder of the main purpose of the forum. That can be helpful when we 'oldies' are ranting or engaging in semantics about something that seems important at the time, but is probably pretty trivial. It's good to stand back and ask - how does this help a newbie (or an oldie) to prepare for their Camino? Or - how must this nonsense seem to the unfortunate OP who just asked for some help?

Ha ha, I just realised the irony of that response ...... Marc asked a simple question and I replied with a little rant!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Okay, it might be I just have too much time on my hands. But this week I suddenly noticed the text on the frontpage of this forum, which says: Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn.

And I was pondering what this implies. Imho, a future pilgrim may also share, and a past pilgrim may also learn. Although the text does not exclude these possibilities, it also does not really seem to encourage them.

And then again. A past pilgrim may be a future pilgrim at the same time, so the text literally allows for a past pilgrim to learn, but not for a future pilgrim (who is not a past pilgrim at the same time) to share.

I know I am definitely overthinking this, but something doesn’t seem completely right here. ;)

I remember walking into Negreiro with some German pilgrims, looking for an albergue, and one of them said “We should listen to Marc, he is an experienced pilgrim”. What worried me, he seriously meant this. But luckily the others weren’t. So we ended up in the albergue where I did not want to go - I had never slept there but I had a bad meal there in the past. It turned out to be a wonderful place, with good showers and beds, and apparentlty a new cook.

Always liked the Zen concept of the beginner’s mind: "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."

So, what about ‘: “Where pilgrims learn and share” as an opening text for the forum ? Anyone with me on this ?
Yes, I think you may be overthinking this... :)but that's what the majority of us do on this forum and it often makes it much more interesting. That said, I still like the original way it was written as it implies something more personal to me and sounds less like a generic catch-all.

I have to admit I had to go looking for the title, (shows how much attention I pay). Having had a read of the argument against the title, I think life's to short to worry about it.
Everyone, whether experienced or not always has something to learn, if not I wouldn't be trawling the forum on a daily basis.

This is what I appreciate when walking the Camino...time on my hands...long stretches of it...so the query seems relevant!

I am a past pilgrim and a future pilgrim. I have much to share from previous Caminos, whilst simultaneously understanding there is always more to learn and discover
There is no experienced pilgrim on the personal path of transformation!
A wise pilgrim has humility and an open mind and heart...In essence, I like the saying: where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn .
Like the Camino itself, infinite possibilities...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmmm ...perhaps a new forum whereby future pilgrims share experiences of a Camino they have not yet walked....

I have deleted a number of posts in this thread because they were simply an argument between two people and off topic. If you wish to have a discussion with one other person, then it should be done in PM mode.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back